PDA

View Full Version : New to board and sad

julia & nicks mom
08-24-2004, 02:40 PM
I am new to this board and am very sad about how mean the posts can be. I know this happens on any board out there but I will not be posting any tips I find here because I think the possible backlash is amazing!

I wish that people would think about how they would feel if someone replied to their posts the way that they are replying.

I am sure I will get slammed for this - but I also won't be around to read about it!

cutienibbler
08-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Hey! Don't be scared off by a few folks. I have been lurking here at Disboards for awhile now and the tips are GREAT! Feel free to post any tips you want, Im sure the majority will really appreciate it :)

BethR
08-24-2004, 02:56 PM
I am so sorry that you are feeling this way :( and I DO hope that you stick around to read this response.

You must understand that the nice, friendly, helpful posts FAR outnumber the nasty ones.

Sometimes, when posting, people forget that they are addressing real people who have feelings and say things on a message board that they would NEVER say in person.

Please disregard the bad, and stay around for the good. ::yes::

Oh yah! If you are really uncomfortable with a particular post, there is a "Report This Post to a Moderator" button on each post. This alerts the moderators to possible problems on the boards.

Again, I hope that we will see you again on these boards...

:)

Mom2Ashli
08-24-2004, 03:01 PM
I am sorry that you feel that way. The DISboards are a wonderful wealth of information. Unfortunely some bad and Mostly good information comes our way. The good thing is we get to pick and choose what we want to read and post to.

The DIS people really can be wonderful people. My daughter broke her arm and had to have surgery. I was in the Surgery waiting room and sat down at the computer and wrote a post about what I was going thru. And before I knew it I had over a 100 posts from people that I did not know or know me wishes me and my family the best. At that time it warmed my heart and got me thru a bad time.

Hope you cahnge you mind and stay and give it another chance.

Belle5
08-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Sorry you feel that way. I have been on these boards for years and generally speaking, the only threads that turn nasty are the ones where folks want others to help them feel good about getting away with something they shouldn't do. (Ex. One time someone wanted to know which hotels offered free breakfasts so they could drop by the lobbies for free breakfasts during their stay. Yes, the thread got ugly.) I would think that if you look around the boards some more you will find a very helpful, friendly attitude present. :D

enchantedpixiedust
08-24-2004, 04:03 PM
I agree with Belle5 - it's mostly just on controversial subjects, for information purposes and support these boards can't be beat!

hookedup
08-24-2004, 04:38 PM
I have found in my two years of posting and reading here that most people are really nice and very supportive.

Yes, there are times that posts get out of line but I think that it's not the norm here. Remember it is hard to tell the "tone" of what someone is communicating sometimes because we can't see or hear them talking - the written word can interpreted many ways.

Also, I think that it is easy to post things you would not feel comfortable saying face to face with someone, and being "faceless" online gives some folks a green light to get carried away. The moderators here to a good job policing some very touchy subjects!

I hope that you will stick around and get a better feeling for the positive support here. :)

mom2cinderella
08-24-2004, 05:35 PM
I hope you will come back and give the disboards another chance. There are so many nice, knowledgable people here. For every person that can't respond politely - there are 100 more who can. Ignore the meanies and you'll love it here!

Here's a sprinkling of Pixie Dust for you!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/cinderella68/fairy2.gif

:) Michele

luvthatduke
08-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Just wanted to add that I've noticed
also that when someone flames someone
else and is REALLY out of line that DIS'ers
come right back and defend the post
that got flamed...

Seems that the DIS community is
just like any other, even nicer IMO!!
The nice people look out for the
others, and the nasty people tend
to either get into arguments
amongst themselves,
or they get ignored - which I find amusing!

No better way to send a message
then to totally ignore what was posted.
I saw this recently on a thread that I
joined, and someone said something
innappropriate about the subject
and the silence toward them
was deafening ;)

Regardless, the theme here seems
to be that we'll MISS YOU if you don't
come back - so come on back, now - ya hear??

pearlieq
08-24-2004, 09:12 PM
I've noticed that this is kind of a "tough love" board. However, some people come here seeking validation in doing things that are patently wrong (or at least pretty jerky) like the person who wanted to bring her 3 1/2 year old in for free. For them, they deserve what they get.

I've also seen great willingness to help and support each other. I think if you keep your head about you and use common sense, you shouldn't run afoul of anyone.

PrincessChelsey'sMOM
08-24-2004, 11:24 PM
I also am new to the boards. I had been reading these forums for a month or so before I actually registered. I was nervous when I read a few of the "meaner" postings. However, they were so few compared to all of the wonderful people that seem to post such helpful things! Everyone does seem to be so nice! For those of us who are new ... take it easy on us please!!!

crisi
08-25-2004, 06:24 AM
As you hang here, you will learn that certain topics are hot. Certain ones are controversal, but once you learn what is up, its almost funny (I think the mug debate is hilarious). And that certain posters have hot buttons.

Doodlebug939
08-25-2004, 07:38 AM
I feel that most people on here are honest and just wonderful people who love Disney. I will admit that if a poster is doing something that is wrong or against the rules they will get a lot of people out there who are more then willing to correct them such as the 3 1/2 year old without a ticket. The original poster had asked questions and opinions and they got them whether they liked the answer or not. But it is another thing to tell someone that is they cant afford to buy the child a ticket then they shouldnt go this year.

When you ask a question on these boards people for all over are willing to share their knowledge and their experience with is in my opinion invalualbe. As you are on these boards for a little while you will be able to tell what topics going to get heated. For example-Harnessing your child, no ticket above the 3 year old cut off, resort mugs reuse, and a few others. For the most part, I just dont get involved in them. You will see them pop up every couple of months or so. And I feel that BethR does an excellent job of closing threads if they get out of control.

But with that this board has been able to keep me in check with regard to my savings, motivated me to be a better and smarter shopper and provided me with support then I was down. Stick around and you will see all the tips that are around.::yes::

CheapMom
08-25-2004, 08:21 AM
I hope you stick around- I started a very flamable thread a while back about buying refillable mugs on eBay. It went on and on- the people were so worked up- it was hilarious.
I have been attacked about a half dozen times on this board for various things. I find it all pretty funny.

hookedup
08-25-2004, 12:51 PM
I often thought it would be hilarious to make a post asking about bringing in my harnessed 3 yr old without a ticket so we could pool-hop resorts with our refilable mugs!

;)

:crazy: :duck: :rotfl:

Belle5
08-25-2004, 01:51 PM
:p :p :p HOOKEDUP,
I double-dare you!!!!!

crisi
08-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Don't forget about having lunch at the "free salad bar" at Peco's Bills!

While sleeping five in a one bedroom at a DVC resort!

Followed by a cruise where you let your non-potty trained child in the Mickey Pool (but he's wearing a swim diaper)!

My favorite was the "debate" about how tacky it made the resort look if you hung your towels over the balcony railing to let them dry.

Lisa loves Pooh
08-25-2004, 07:01 PM
:hyper: Pretty funny! That'll bring spirits up!

adriannabannana
08-25-2004, 11:34 PM
The last couple of posts made me laugh so hard that I thought I'd wake up the whole family. Hilarious!:p

luvthatduke
08-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Hey, hookedup (& crisi, too!):

I DOUBLE-Dog Dare you!

This has gotten sooooo OT,
but it is FUNNY!
You guys are a hoot...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lisa loves Pooh
08-26-2004, 05:16 AM
Hey OP, are you cheered up, yet?

Read my budget busted post and you can see how compassionate our dis friends can be.

Lots of smiles your way!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

mrsbornkuntry
08-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the laugh! It's really great that you all can be so lighthearted about something and have strong varying opinions at the same time! :earsgirl:

cokegal19
08-26-2004, 11:09 AM
I AM THE PERSON WHO POSTED ABOUT NOT BUYING A TICKET FOR A 3 YEAR AND 4 MONTH YEAR OLD. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU PEOPLE CAN'T FORGET ABOUT THIS.

AND JUST TO MAKE MYSELF CLEAR, AGAIN I WAS NOT SAYING I WAS GOING TO DO IT. I WAS NOT SAYING IT WAS OK TO DO. I JUST WANTED OPINIONS. I GOT OPINIONS. I DID NOT GET OFFENDED BY YOUR OPINIONS, I JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT OTHERS THINK. I DON'T LIKE HOW YOU ALL ARE "JUDGING" ME.. IN A WAY.

THE OPINIONS I GOT DID NOT OFFEND ME, BUT THE POSTER WHO SAID THAT I GOT WHAT IS COMMING TO ME, THAT OFFENDS ME. I COULD TOTALLY UNDERSTAND IF I GOT UP HERE AND SAID "I'M DOING IT AND I DON'T CARE IF IT'S WRONG, AND IT DOESN'T MATTER IF I TELL MY SON TO LIE" BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID!!!!!!!!!

LIKE I'VE SAID MANY TIMES, THANK YOU FOR YOUR POSTS AND YOUR OPINIONS ON THE SUBJECT. BUT TRY NOT TO BE SO RUDE. I HAVE GOTTEN MANY APOLOGIES FROM THOSE POSTERS WHO SAW HOW RUDE YOU ALL WERE, BUT NONE FROM THE POSTERS WHO WERE RUDE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

crisi
08-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Well, anyone up for picking on those people who wear shorts into dining rooms on DCL?

Kids in strollers on Pleasure Island?

Canned corn and MREs as "brought in meals."

Small applicances (toaster ovens, George Forman grills) in the rooms?

Belle5
08-26-2004, 12:16 PM
cokegal19,
Umm...this thread is NOT about you....
:confused:

Mainebound
08-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by hookedup
I often thought it would be hilarious to make a post asking about bringing in my harnessed 3 yr old without a ticket so we could pool-hop resorts with our refilable mugs!

;)

:crazy: :duck: :rotfl:

Thank you for making me spit my coffee onto my keyboard! That's the best laugh I've had all day! :D

Robinrs
08-26-2004, 04:40 PM
cokegal,

This is a running joke.... this subject has come up for since the DIS began and you're not the first or the last to bring it up.

OP, this board is a walk in the park compared to the Community Board! :earseek:

luvthatduke
08-26-2004, 10:50 PM
You are SO right about the Community Board!!

I can't believe what some people say,
and I can't even figure out sometimes WHY
they said it.
I am cautious when I post there...

jann1033
08-26-2004, 11:54 PM
you can "ignore " some posters if they seem to get mean a lot and then their posts don't show up if you don't want them to. or just unsubscribe to a thread that is taking a turn for the worse( usually it gets blocked pretty soon anyway)

all it all i saved a lot of money last trip due to the pointers here so i'm not going to let a few cranks scare me off:) ! althought sometimes when the flames are flying it cracks me up that this is WDW we are talking about, not some hot life or death topic!

Goobergal99
08-26-2004, 11:55 PM
I admit in my limited time here I too have added to the flames on the boards (lol) my extremely liberal non-religious beliefs get me into ALOT of trouble. However, most ppl are incredibly friendly and I admit that having grown up in a very poilitically italian family, I just can't help a good debate (hee hee) Especially being a poly sci major and all, it's just in my blood I guess.

Don't leave the boards though, this is supposed to be fun and our anti-conservative vs conservative views are merely differences to be reflected on and not to be taken to heart. We all share one common bond or we wouldn't be here:

In one form or another,We are all in love with the mouse!!!! :wave:

Goobergal99
08-27-2004, 12:00 AM
Let me add a lil to the humor :hyper:

What about those ppl who allow their kids to be kids in Disney, shame on them.

Can you imagine taking your 3 year and one hour old child to WDW without paying for a ticket??

How wrong is it to fill those water bottles in the park, what could these cheapos be thinking??

My all time fave is paying for the lunch buffett, but staying long enough to enjoy the dinner, and go figure it saves you a lil money. Shame on those who try it!!!

How about using a wheel chair to get on the rides faster (ok I admit this one is a lil low LOL

But tooo funny all the same......
:p

Figaro
08-27-2004, 05:05 AM
Hi, Goobergal99!

One of the big misunderstandings that people have about wheelchairs, is that there is ANY advantage (other than having a place to sit while in line)(smile) to using them at WDW. Almost all of the queues at WDW are mainstream queues and when you see me going through the fastpass line, it is because I got a fastpass and am using it the same as anyone else.

There is no "front of the line" stuff for people who use wheelchairs and usually I will wait longer than everyone else I was in line with because there are limits to the number of people with mobility disabilities that can be on a ride at one time, or there are a limited number of accessible ride vehicles. If you have any other questions, come on over to the disABILITIES board, as we have a great FAQ at the top and a wonderful bunch of people who particpate there(smile).

CheapMom
08-27-2004, 06:00 AM
Yes- Figaro is right. I saw a very upset group of people at the line for the POOH ride because they were told they had to wait in the regular line or get a fast pass and come back later.

AND cokegal- I never respond to those threads about what if my kid is 3 and 2 months... because I don't care. If you do it- I don't care. I don't think less of anybody who does this. I was passed off as 11 until I was 13 at the movie theatre box office by my dad-and I don't think he is morally corrupt.

dg39
08-27-2004, 06:53 AM
I know this is off topic, but, I have to ask Goobergal being she's a poly sci major if there's any book she can recommend regarding the highly controversal subject relating to science vs. religion. I'm very interested. Thanks

klynn
08-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Of all the forums I belong to I always use the "shopping cart" method. While reading the posts I take what I need and leave on the shelf what I don't need. So if there is something in a post that I don't like or agree with I just "leave it on the shelf". It works for me. I have never gotten upset about reading any post.

missypie
08-27-2004, 01:36 PM
In comparison to other boards, DIS is kind, sweet and loving. When planning a trip to Paris, I posted a lot on the Fodors European travel board. Boy, do those folks let you have it! One time I posted that after two trips to London expecting to love it, I really didn't love it. I swear there were tounges of fire shooting out of my computer!

Goobergal99
08-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Figaro
Hi, Goobergal99!

One of the big misunderstandings that people have about wheelchairs, is that there is ANY advantage (other than having a place to sit while in line)(smile) to using them at WDW. Almost all of the queues at WDW are mainstream queues and when you see me going through the fastpass line, it is because I got a fastpass and am using it the same as anyone else.

There is no "front of the line" stuff for people who use wheelchairs and usually I will wait longer than everyone else I was in line with because there are limits to the number of people with mobility disabilities that can be on a ride at one time, or there are a limited number of accessible ride vehicles. If you have any other questions, come on over to the disABILITIES board, as we have a great FAQ at the top and a wonderful bunch of people who particpate there(smile).

Um, I was just making a joke about the wheelchairs, and actually I remember about 10 years ago, being able to go through the exit to board because my aunt was in a wheelchair. Maybe they don't do it anymore though

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Lisa loves Pooh
08-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Hey goobergal...

I think some of the new attractions have been built with wider aisles, so some you have to wait in the line as of normal, while older attractions you still go through the exit or different entrance. I still get your joke--some high school kids did that on grad night and one girl in our group actually needed one due to an injured foot and I guess some went AHA and copied even though for them it wasn't necessary.

My mom is funny--she is req'd by her family to use a wheelchair (she usually opts for motor)...but she is in and out of it b/c her disability requires position changes--walk some of the time and sit for others. We were tired of taking 30 minute breaks every hour :hyper: BUT she hates the stigma that goes with those things and would always wait in line anyway b/c she was afraid to do any of the bypass features. I don't know what she's afraid of, she's weird that way!

Dr.Mickey
08-27-2004, 07:36 PM
ahh - corn as an mre - had forgotten that one. gave our family quite a chuckle back in the original discussion

a Really Bad Egg
08-27-2004, 08:30 PM
The truth is that there is always someone lurking out there (even on the DISboards) that will tell you why something you like is wrong, inadequate, etc. It happens...and it's disheartening.

Keep posting and let those who feel compelled to let us know why we are wrong post whatever they want. It only shows their colors and says nothing bad about you.

::MickeyMo

jann1033
08-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Lisa loves Pooh
Hey goobergal...

: BUT she hates the stigma that goes with those things and would always wait in line anyway b/c she was afraid to do any of the bypass features. I don't know what she's afraid of, she's weird that way!

ot but... it's difficult enough to admit to yourself you can't do what 90% of others can ( and maybe you used to do) and worse when some self-righteous twit( hope that is not a bad word) yells at you in public cause they figure you are "cheating" them out of a 2 min faster ride..could be that's what she is afraid of.( i'm weird that way too! that's my story an i'm sticking to it!)

SueM in MN
08-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Goobergal99
Um, I was just making a joke about the wheelchairs, and actually I remember about 10 years ago, being able to go through the exit to board because my aunt was in a wheelchair. Maybe they don't do it anymore though

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3
Things have changed in 10 years.
The newer parks (AK and the Studio) and the newer or recently renovated rides in the older parks were built with Mainstream Access, which basically means the lines were constructed to be wheelchair/ecv accessible (wide enough passages, no or limited stairs). In Mainstream lines, everyone waits in the same line. For some rides (like HM, the Safari at AK, Dinosaur, Buzz Lightyear, Splash Mountain), wheelchair users need to board at somewhere other than the regular boarding area. For many of those "special boarding areas", wheelchair users wait in the regular line until just before the line reaches the boarding area. At that point, they are pulled off to the exit to board. Boarding at the exit often involves an extra wait, so it usually doesn't save any time; just makes boarding possible for someone who could not board the regular way. Our extra wait at Buzz Lightyear often means we are still waiting at the exit to board when we see the people who were right ahead of us in line getting off the ride. Our longest extra wait was 40 minutes at the Safari at a time when the stand-by line was just walking on.
There are some older rides where they could not make the line accessible, so the accessible entrance is still going thru the exit, but there are not that many rides left that operate like that. One example of is SpaceShip Earth, which actually has a little lounge area outside the exit for people with disabilities to wait. Usually the wait is about the same as in the standby line (during times when the standby line has no wait, the disabled line still waits).

TINK61
08-30-2004, 10:12 AM
I read these boards daily (except for the weekends), and I find these boards to be the friendliest out there. The mods are pretty good about addressing bad behavior.:)