PDA

View Full Version : My DH is working Overtime!

tinkerbell13
08-24-2004, 01:51 AM
He knows I am trying not to freak out about how much we have put on our credit card in the last two months. He has worked 3 extra shift in this pay period(2 weeks) and is trying to work one more. We both work 12 hour shifts, but he get big bonus $$ for extra shifts. We may be able to pay off the rest of our trip with his next paycheck!::yes::

kaylajr
08-24-2004, 06:25 AM
My DH is doing that to
from now until or trip he is working 7 on 1 off
so the extra money will help with the trip
i told him i don't want him to burn out and not be able to enjoy the trip but he swears he will be fine

sounds like we both have pretty special hubbys::yes::

Shelle&Dave
08-24-2004, 07:48 AM
My Fiance is doing that also. He works six days a week already. Today he is working a 16 hour shift instead of 8. I love the money but I worry about his health. I'm trying to pick up hours when I can, but my company allows NO overtime. Neither one of us gets paid vacation so we really have to make sure every bill is paid before we go.

I did change my taxes for a couple of paychecks so that helps. I would much rather have the money now than in a refund next year.

dtuleya
08-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Wow, great for you! I wish DH or I had jobs that we could do that! DH is in sales with salary/commission and the economy hasn't been in our favor lately.:(

GoofItUp
08-24-2004, 10:29 AM
DH is in his 2nd week of OT. He has to do 7 weeks total. He is on 56 hrs/week rather than 40. He and I ride to work together, so except for the hours he does on Saturday, I'm pulling the long hours too. No work benefit for me, but I get to DIS in the mornings! He didn't really want the OT, but it's required. We probably wouldn't have booked our cruise (see counter!) except that his OT will pay for about 2/3 of it. At least something good will come of it!

tinkerbell13
08-24-2004, 12:33 PM
DH is in his 2nd week of OT. He has to do 7 weeks total. He is on 56 hrs/week rather than 40.
I can't believe they make him do OT, what kind of job does he do? It's a good thing it will come in handy.
INeither one of us gets paid vacation so we really have to make sure every bill is paid before we go.
bummer!!
I also have my 2 girls B-days coming up, and we have been broke trying to pay for things just on normal pay.
DH works works nights so I really worry about him driving home in the morning.

GoofItUp
08-24-2004, 01:10 PM
I can't believe they make him do OT, what kind of job does he do? It's a good thing it will come in handy.

He is an engineer at an aircraft modification facility. The program he is on is behind schedule, and he is one of the primary engineers on the program. So, required OT. It doesn't come too often. Maybe a couple of times a year. Sometimes he can decline it, but not this time. Oh well.....Panama Canal cruise...Panama Canal cruise....Panama Canal cruise :)

StephMK
08-24-2004, 02:27 PM
Tinkerbell13- my hubby works nights too! He's also got some major OT coming up so he agreed to let us fly on our trip. :)

It'll be hard to have him ever go back to a salaried position because the OT is so great. He's the only one in his dept. really interested in doing it so it works well.

Does he stay on his regular shift sleep times on the weekends or change?

tinkerbell13
08-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Does he stay on his regular shift sleep times on the weekends or change?
He only works 3 nights a week, so he pretty much switches back and forth, although on the nights he's off, he tends to stay up until around 2am. It's ok during the summer, because everyone sleeps in, but I think he feels it a little more during the school year when he sometimes has to get up earlier.

KELLY
08-24-2004, 04:56 PM
I know what you mean we leave in three weeks from Friday and we have pd for the tickets paid for hotel at Wl and airfare. But the extras are what is getting us the town car the room at the airport the day before we leave. I know once we get there it will be fine but oh my goodness I think I'm getting overwhelmed by it all. We also have vouchers and some money set aside but my savings is down to about nothing. KELLY

tinkerbell13
08-27-2004, 11:55 PM
:eek: Well, he picked up another shift last night, so he will have worked a total of 5-12hr shifts, two weeks in a row.

Disney4me04
08-28-2004, 01:25 PM
I am at work doing OT right now. Well eating lunch quick. I am trying to get about 13 to 20 hours a paycheck. All to pay for our trip and a few other things we need.

I will not be doing anymore weekends. Just Mon-Friday from now on.

bigbabyblues
08-28-2004, 02:36 PM
My DH is working tons of overtime too......about 60-63 hours a week total including his regular time, but he's salary and he doesn't get paid for it.

Salary stinks.

CruisingCA2005
08-28-2004, 03:10 PM
I miss my overtime. I normally work 25 hours a week but when we have big projects, I can work 60-70 hours a week easily. Any time over 8 hours is time & a half. Anything over 12 hours is double time. Saturdays are time & a half and Sunday are double time. It was great while it lasted especially 'cause they were feeding us breakfast, lunch & sometimes dinner.

It's easy to get used to all the extra money. I put most of the extra $$ away but now I don't want to dip into that savings.

tar heel
08-28-2004, 04:19 PM
You folks are really lucky to get overtime. My dh routinely works 50-60 hours a week, but no extra $ b/c he's salaried. He does it to keep his job since it can't be done in 40.

It's strictly comp time at my job (no $ for OT), but I have two freelance clients at the moment. I hate coming home from work and going to work, but I've got a couple of good payments coming up!

tinkerbell13
08-28-2004, 06:52 PM
I love seeing all the different aspects of work we all do. I can't imagine working OT in a salaried position. It would just stink, but I know you gotta do it sometimes. I know I am spoiled working 12hrs/3 days a week, but it tires me out so much, especially with 3 kids at home. DH gets a $10/hr bonus for OT in addition to his time and a half and double. So lucky for me it makes no sense to work the OT in my department, even though we work in the same hospital. princess:

blanq
08-28-2004, 07:56 PM
For those who can work overtime, if sure is a nice option to increase income! My DH works 12 hour shifts too (he is an Operating Engineer at a power plant), and he also has the ability to pick up overtime. He either gets time and a half or double time when working overtime, and it can add up fast. We don't count on his overtime in our normal budget, but he usually brings in an extra $10-15K per year because of it. That ends up being our vacation/play money! I sure wish I could earn some overtime, but I am a salaried worker. I do get comp time (straight time for each hour worked), so at least do get the opportunity to increase my time off. In fact, I have used some of those hours for our trips to Disney!

april riddle
08-28-2004, 08:00 PM
I am very lucky that I am in a position where there is a shortage (nursing) I am going in at 11 tonight for time and half with a double bonus. These shifts can add up and it has helped pay for our cruise in November and all the extras I needed to have (like Discovery Cove for the day). Yes I will be very tired tomorrow but I just keep thinking the more I can work before November the better it will be.:wave: