PDA

View Full Version : Ebay question - cancelled auctions?

cuterlt
08-23-2004, 07:13 PM
So, I didn't want this question to be buried in the HUGE Ebay thread, which I didn't find in the first few pages here...

here's the problem:
5 of my auctions were cancelled - I had sold these items before and didn't know it was a violation of an Ebay rule to sell them more than one at a time (gift cards). I should have known about it, but didn't. So, fair cancellation on ebay's part. I certainly wish I had known about the rule before I put the items up for bid. I have a great feedback record (no negatives or even neutrals in 5 years on ebay). I think someone may have reported it because I would not sell to them off ebay (trying to abide by ebay rules). Still, a fair cancellation on ebay's part.

Anyway, my question -
Is there a way I can contact the high bidders on those auctions to let them know I'm very sorry, that I didn't know it was a violation of ebay rules? I cannot find the cancelled auctions anywhere in My Ebay. Is there a place where that information is stored? The items all would have sold (some ended this afternoon), so I feel like I owe them an apology.

Thanks guys! I know you can help!
Lisa

DianeV
08-23-2004, 07:39 PM
I think that cancelled auctions are not in the system anymore..

kashkdz
08-24-2004, 09:08 AM
From my understanding, once ebay cancels an auction you will not be able to find it on ebay anymore. I think ebay does this, just as in your case, so you can't contact those who may have bid, and make any deals outside of ebay.

dtuleya
08-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Does this only apply to Gift Cards? Can someone explain to me why they made this rule? Trying to understand Ebay a little better.

jgates
08-24-2004, 11:01 PM
WHEN was this rule put into effect? I did not know anything about it. I doubt I have ever had more than 1 going, but potential is there.

eileenfk
08-24-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by DianeV
I think that cancelled auctions are not in the system anymore..

I see cancelled auctions a lot, but not always.

I often put a watch on auctions, that I know are violations, just to see how long it takes before they are cancelled.
In some cases, I watch, as I try to convince my conscience that it is o.k. for me to by the pirated movie (or audio book).
The auction always ends up cancelled before I can convince myself to buy.

I have watched auctions for DVDs and MP3 Audio books, that I knew were copied (because the formats had not been produced). The reason for the cancellation always seems to state something about an error in the listing.

However, sometimes I am watching an auction, and it gets cancelled, and it just seems to go away.

I think that with the actual number, one might be able to access the auction, and see the cancellation message.

princess: Eileen

sorchamac
08-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Do you still have your confirmation emails when you listed the item? The item number or link should be there, and will probably still work.

Sorcha

cuterlt
08-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll try what you've all suggested.
I don't know when they instituted the rule about gift cards. But it's a rule apparently that you can only sell one at a time. I'm not sure why - but...that's way it goes. And from what I understand in reading the rules, you have to wait a week after your last one ended before listing another one as well.
Thanks again!