PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Side Trips on a Down Day?

Jo-Anne
08-04-2004, 09:05 PM
In Sept, we will be staying at WDW for 8 days. I had planned to get kids a 5 day park hopper pass (DH and I have an AP), and was planning 3 down days. My DH thinks that is overkill if we're just going to be sitting around the pools and maybe DTD. Does anyone have good ideas for a side trip that would we could do from say 10am - 5pm? I have heard good things about Gatorland, but DH thinks it might be too corny and he's not into alligators/crocs! Our kids are 8 (DD) & 5 (DS). We will have a rental car as well. I'm tempted to just add another park day and bump up to a 6 day PH, but wondering if there are other "reasonably priced" alternatives for a side trip within easy driving distance. THanks, Jo

sue Z
08-05-2004, 05:09 PM
What about the water parks or minature Golf ????????????????

zaxmom
08-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral are less than an hour away. There is always Sea World. You can buy a one day ticket and they allow you to return a second day within the next week for free. You could do some major shopping in the outlet malls. Drive through Celebration. If you are racing fans, Daytona. You could go to CityWalk at Universal for dinner and take the boat around to look at the hotels there. Maybe your kids will like Disney Quest or the Wide World of Sports. I think they have interactive games in the sports complex, but not sure. We always plan a character meal at Contemporary or Beach Club for our down days.

PhotobearSam
08-06-2004, 10:36 AM
If you are looking really low cost then try the Citrus Tower in Clermont...We liked it but we don't have kids...

Here is a link.... http://www.citrustower.com/

It's very low key but cute

blowinbubbles
08-06-2004, 11:50 AM
I've heard that Gatorland was pretty cool. Here are almost the exact words that one of my h's workers said about it, and mind you, this is "good 'ol boy" land:

"I was sittin' there, watching the gators, and this big 'ol bird landed on the water, and this big 'ol alligator *jumped* outta the water and *chomped* down on that danged bird! Dang, is was just like watchin' the Discovery Channel!""

hehe. . .

Aimeedyan
08-06-2004, 09:32 PM
You should head to the beach! Florida has GORGEOUS beaches, I wouldn't miss spending part of the day at one! You could head to Cape Canaveral, see NASA, and spend some time in the sand.

There is also lots of shopping to do, but I wouldnt imagine your DH and kids would enjoy that much ;)

MK Familystone
08-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Start with a sleep-in, bus to the WDW Transportation center, bus out to Swan or Dolphin for breakfast, strool over to the Fanitisy Golf near the Swan, after have lunch at the Beaches and Cream, boat over to the Board Walk Area and rent a four person bike and work off the Lunch, bus back to WDW Tranportation Center from Board Walk Resort and have a refreshment at the Poly Resort, then monorail over to the Grand Floridian for some afternoon music in the Lobby, after hop on the monorail to the Cont. Resort and take in Chef Mickeys or take the water shuttle to the Wilderness Lodge and have supper at Whispering Canyon Rrst. , bus back to WDW T C and watch the Fantiscy in the Sky from the Ferry Dock , ending the day.

"ENJOY!!!"

"THE MAGIC HAPPENS!!!"
:jester: :jester: :jester: