PDA

View Full Version : DVC Pools, Pool Hopping, Etc.

Pages : [1] 2 3

lovwdwalot
10-31-2003, 06:39 PM
With all the talk about SSR not allowing pool hopping, I was wondering how many people really do pool hop? I know the DW & DD & I never have time to go to the other resorts to swin, even when we are at WDW for 7 days. :earsboy: Is it possible that pool hopping is not a big deal for alot of DVC members. pirate:

CarolMN
10-31-2003, 06:59 PM
We've never pool hopped and I can't imagine that we ever will. Unless we are traveling with my youngest brother's family (which includes two small boys), we don't even use the resort's pools.

WDWguru
10-31-2003, 07:06 PM
I posted a poll on this issue back in June. Click here for the results, or to vote. (http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=388367&highlight=pool+hopping+poll)

lovwdwalot
10-31-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks WDWguru for the poll that you had posted in June, I just find it funny that some people make such a big deal on pool hopping and from the looks of your poll not many people do go hopping! pirate:

JimC
10-31-2003, 07:24 PM
We enjoy the pools at the resort we are staying. When we visit other resorts during a trip, it is to enjoy the theming, meals or boating.

If I was going to travel elsewhere to swim I would use a water park.

Happy Birthday Cat
10-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Before the BCV's were built and we were staying at the BWV, we would walk over to SAB and pool hop to there. Now that we no longer can do that, we no longer pool hop. We bought at the BCV so we could continue using SAB from time to time.

HBC

crisi
10-31-2003, 08:12 PM
Our first trip home was very recently while the BW pool slide was closed and they allowed us to hop over to SAB. We gave it a try to check out the pool and see if we'd want to stay over there (as the reason to try and get into BCV in my mind is the pool). Cool pool. But we only hopped once and I don't think we'd do so again.

Mickey527
10-31-2003, 08:22 PM
I pool hopped once but it was so much trouble to drag the suits all over, and change out of the wet suits in the bathroom that I never did it again. It is so much easier to just go up to your room and shower before changing into clean clothing. But we wanted to check out the new Poly pool. I didn't like to, too crowded and small.
I plan my trips according to who will be with me. I don't swim, just get into the pool to cool off and relax so the pools are no biggie to me but I prefer my home resort quiet pool at WLV.
When I brought my family we stayed at BCV so they could experience SAB.
My boys love the pools at OKW. they are very quiet, usually they are the only ones there.
And as I stated before, if I am going with my friend we stay at WLV because I prefer the pool there. Peggie

Richyams
10-31-2003, 08:31 PM
We've never pool hopped and I can't imagine that we ever will.

colleen costello
10-31-2003, 08:35 PM
We like to swim at the Polynesian. We always rent boats there and eat lunch, and in the middle of all that, we swim for perhaps one hour. I doubt that we are causing the pool to burst with over-capacity. We really enjoy this privelege, though, and would be sad if it was taken away. If they made DVC at the Poly, I'd be right there!

DVC-Don
10-31-2003, 08:51 PM
We have only pool hopped once from BWV to SAB just before BCV's opened. Really do not plan on it again. We've better things to do in the Orlando/WDW area than to pool hop at WDW resorts.

donald@home
10-31-2003, 09:03 PM
We pool hop once in a while. We combine the "hopping" with other activities, like Animal Kingdom in the morning followed by a "hop" to Coronado Springs for an hour or two on the way back to our home resort. We never leave our home resort just to pool hop.

Nick@ VB+OKW
10-31-2003, 09:43 PM
http://e4u.deltait.com.au/sport/niko3.gif

If we want to "pool hop"...........we go to "Blizzard Beach".::yes::

timC
10-31-2003, 09:46 PM
Once... We pool hopped to SAB. It was the month before they removed it from the list. Our one and only great pool hop adventure in 4 years.

I do regularly plan a pool hop day, but always end up at a putt-putt golf, or rent a boat, or DtD.

Honestly, if we want a big pool hop adventure we usually just go to TL.

Granny
10-31-2003, 10:58 PM
We have pool hopped a couple of times. With our de-emphasis on commando touring in the parks, we find that doing things like pool hopping is a nice way to visit other resorts that we've never stayed at.

It wouldn't crush us if they ended it, but it's a nice, no cost perk for DVC members to get.

DeeP
10-31-2003, 11:57 PM
Let me preface this with the fact that I am a real pool lover and regularly use the pools at all the WDW resorts I stay at. I have stayed in every WDW resort but GF, Disney Inn/Shades of Green and the now closed Disney Village/Disney Institute. So I have had the opportunity to experience the vast majority of WDW pools while a guest at the resort. Many WDW resorts I have stayed at numerous times and had the chance to enjoy the resort's pools on many occasions.
The only pool I have ever thought was worth pool hopping to and have pool hopped to is SAB. I absolutely love this pool. Since we stay at our home resort BWV a lot it was always very easy to pool hop to SAB prior to the ending of pool hopping. I was sorry to see pool hopping ended at SAB but I know I can always stay at BCV to use the pool and I have done this and will continue to do this.
To be perfectly honest, once SAB was no longer included in the DVC pool hopping options, pool hopping became a non issue for me. For me, no other WDW resort pool is worth the extra effort to pool hop to.
However, I hate to see a DVC benefit taken away from members. But I think it is only a matter of time before pool hopping for DVC members will go the way of the dinosaur.

CaptainMidnight
11-01-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by DeeP
However, I hate to see a DVC benefit taken away from members.....
Agreed. We haven't don eit, but down the road pool hopping to Poly or Contemporary as a nice afternoon break from teh parks would seem a real plus and an option I'd like to keep for when the kids get older.

We enjoy SAB too.

Uncleromulus
11-01-2003, 07:05 AM
We always pool hop--haven't been in the main pool at OKW for about 7 years now. As "main" pools go, it's pretty pathetic.

Deb & Bill
11-01-2003, 07:47 AM
When we first joined DVC, son and husband had to hop to SAB at least twice each trip. We now own points at BCV for SAB only (I can take it or leave it, but they love it). We have hopped over to WL pool (we also have points there) while we were staying at OKW. But we will spend a lot of evenings over at the pool at whatever DVC we stay at.

We don't pool hop as much any more. We just change our DVC resort we are staying at to get another pool feel.

cubsfan
11-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Granny -
Thanks for the great idea! On our next visit, we will do the MK in the morning, yellow monorails ( do they still call them that?) by the Poly pool in the afternoon, and then back to the park for the evening.::yes::

cheyita
11-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Being owners at BCV, I don't see a need to pool hop. But who knows...after we go to WDW once a year for the next 10 or 15 years, maybe we'll be interested in checking out other pools. But like others have said, we can experience those pools by staying at those resorts, or we can hit the water parks.

I think it's harmless to keep it as a perk for the once in a while people do use it.

joepoe
11-01-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Mickey527
I pool hopped once but it was so much trouble to drag the suits all over, and change out of the wet suits in the bathroom that I never did it again. It is so much easier to just go up to your room and shower before changing into clean clothing. But we wanted to check out the new Poly pool. I didn't like to, too crowded and small.
... Peggie

We never pool hop. In fact, I get kind of aggravated when the BWV pool is crowded during my stay. These pools aren't big enought to accomodate hoppers, and Disney generally does a poor job of keeping others out, since no one seems to be in charge at Luna Park Pool.

joepoe
11-01-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by cubsfan
Granny -
Thanks for the great idea! On our next visit, we will do the MK in the morning, yellow monorails ( do they still call them that?) by the Poly pool in the afternoon, and then back to the park for the evening.::yes::

And I am sure not everyone showers off the theme park grime before they hop in.

I am sure YOU do, cubsfan (go Fish)

cubsfan
11-01-2003, 07:44 PM
"And I am sure not everyone showers off the theme park grime before they hop in.

I am sure YOU do, cubsfan (go Fish)"

I know for certain they have standing showers at BWV.....I assume they have them at the Poly also. And what's this? a Marlins fan in Gurnee? A friend of Steve's, are ya?

DVCPAT
11-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by cheyita
after we go to WDW once a year for the next 10 or 15 years, maybe we'll be interested in checking out other pools. But like others have said, we can experience those pools by staying at those resorts, or we can hit the water parks.

I think it's harmless to keep it as a perk for the once in a while people do use it.

I agree,

Our kids have been going to WDW since birth and they love to swim. We donít spend as much time in the theme parks as we have in the past. My kids seem to enjoy WDW recreation activities like horseback riding, boating, water parks, etc.

Pool hopping is a nice way to relax and enjoy the atmosphere at other deluxe resorts. We enjoy the theme parks more, when we visit them less.

Ms. WDW
11-02-2003, 06:09 AM
We've never done it either! I think that by the time we get to the pool in the afternoon, we're all just so happy to be off our feet!! :)

Now next trip DH will be with us. First time seeing "his investiment" since we purchased in '98. So there will be plenty of "down time" and maybe we'll check out some other pools.

zillow
11-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Didn't think that I would use the privilege but it actually worked out well on our last trip. We stayed at VWL but my daughter (4)wanted to do Grand Adventures in Cooking at the Grand Floridian and I have a 1.5 year old son. We used the zero entry pool while my daughter was at the class - then we all swam after. The zero entry is perfect for young children. My daughter can swim under water but not tread water yet so she needs to be able to stand when she comes up. My son needs very shallow water so this way they could both use the same pool at the same time and this let me swim around them without having to hold either of them. GF has a wonderful changing house with showers, etc. - really nice! We still love the VWL pool but the zero entry definitely works better at these ages so I would pool hop again. BTW, when we were there, there were only 4 other people in the pool and I did call ahead to make sure that it was ok.

RLevy29
11-02-2003, 08:51 AM
We usually combine pool hopping with having lunch at whatever resort we go to. As a DVC member, I would hate to see this perk vanish especially since I don't think that DVC members are the ones that cause over crowding at the pools.

icydog
11-02-2003, 08:52 AM
I'm lost. I have been moving and therefore lost track of the Dis. What's all the discussion about? Has anyone at Disney said there was going to be an end to pool hopping? What's this I read, no pool hopping to SSR? Please catch me up!
Marylyn

baileybrad
11-02-2003, 10:18 AM
several years ago we would PH to SAB once a trip and more recently to the Poly because of lack of a slide or any kid special water features at the OKW resorts pools. Recently, we were at BCV the week of 10/18 - 10/25 and used SAB 3 times, twice for about 2 hours and once just for a few quick trips down the slide for the 6 year old. Our kids enjoyed digging in the "sand" more than anything else. The rest of our stay we used the pool at BCV because of convenience to the room....... w/3 kids under the age of 6 we haul quite a bit of stuff to the pool.

Terry S
11-02-2003, 10:31 AM
We have never pool hopped and I don't think we ever will. I hate dragging all the junk down to the pool at our own resort, let alone another one!

colleen costello
11-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Terry, it is therefore good you own at BCV, where you have access to the "best" pool to begin with! When we stay at BCV we usually never pool hop! :)

slp87
11-03-2003, 07:13 PM
We did once to CSR and to BCV before it became restricted. We might in the future, but our DD likes the BW pool so much that we don't need to waste the time going somewhere else to swim unless we're going to another resort to eat.

jel0511
07-26-2004, 07:10 AM
Well, pool hopping for DVC members is allowed, but not allowed for other WDW guests. While staying at BWV's last week, we saw what I'll assume was MANY BCV guests (they had brought their BC refillable mugs with them) enjoying Luna Park legally. The funniest thing was TWO different people came up to either myself or DH and said, this place is GREAT!!! We should have stayed here! The person who approached me was staying at AKL, and wasn't even hiding it, since she was drinking out of her AKL mug. The person who approached was even funnier. We were waiting for our kids to come down Keister Coaster. Well, after this person got off the slide, he approached my DH and asked, "What is the name of this hotel, it's GREAT!" He didn't even take the time to figure out what the name of the hotel, he was using the pool at. It was pretty funny. Even though I felt like I should report them to the lifeguard, I didn't feel like being a tattletale. It was pretty funny, and I think I'll send an e-mail to MS to alert them to this and hopefully they'll follow up with BWV and tell them to check at all, for ID's. The pool was fairly crowded on these days, with no more pool chairs or tables available. There were signs up all week, stating that Luna Park was for the exclusive use of Boardwalk guests.

Pa@okw95
07-26-2004, 07:19 AM
It just shows me how far down WDW has fallen in the past years. They opened up the place to everyone when they built those value resorts. People should know better but they do not of course. Pools are only for the guests of that hotel-resort, some people just do not care. They should end pool hopping and put a fense around all the pools with a key needed to enter.

goofy4tink
07-26-2004, 07:31 AM
Have to agree with this one. Surely Disney could come up with a way to give fencing a wonderful themed look. Then you would need your room key to enter. I really don't think that many DVCers actually pool-hop, so it wouldn't be so awful if they ended that perk.

1SickPupe
07-26-2004, 07:40 AM
I think the wrist bands would do. Show your room key or DVC membership card and get a wrist band.

JimFitz
07-26-2004, 07:40 AM
Pool Hopping needs to be banned.

GoodFairies
07-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Pa@okw95
They opened up the place to everyone when they built those value resorts.

The OP reported hoppers from BC and AKL, which, last time I checked, are not value resorts.

CapeCodFam
07-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Wrist bands would be great!!!! While we haven't hopped as yet, it's a great perk. It's also quite enjoyable, at the pool, to discuss DVC resorts with other members. :wave:

Heck, if you're not happy with the level of exclusivity, I'd be glad to buy your points. ;)

kathleena
07-26-2004, 04:56 PM
The addition of wrist band and gates and such would add to resort prices and maintenance fees. Although I think adding wrist bands to all hotel pools with slides would be prudent during certain times of the year, it's not really needed all year.

But for the busier times, the many, many DVC members who love this perk could enjoy the pools and slides without being hampered by other resort and park guests who are not polite enough to follow posted rules.

As a BWV owner, I'm not so concerned about overloaded pools as to want to pay for the additional cost of year-round "protection" against squatters.

Funny story anyway. But give me extra pool people over the smokers that smoke in the non-smoking areas anyday.

LisaSt
07-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Since when does staying at a value resort make you any less of a guest than somone staying at AKL or BC or CR? I think that comment was pretty derogatory as my wife and I are DVC members and still love to stay at All Stars so does that make us less deserving no I don not think so. Get a grip as was mentioned the offenders were from AKL and BC so far from any value resort.

SSRex
07-26-2004, 06:04 PM
We stayed one night at the Pop Century before moving over to BCV for 5 days and we both commented on what a different crowd there was at the Beach Club. You get what you pay for and I also felt that pool hopping was not a priviledge afforded only to DVC members, but also any dishonest or illiterate people (based on not being able to read the signs posted at Luna Pool). Kind of makes me think of Ellis Is. immigants verses illegal aliens.
Disney appears to be policing the pool gates like our government watches the borders. I had to send my kids to find someone to give them a wrist band at SAB. I was very upset at no restriction to enter. If pool hopping ends it will only be over for honest DVC members, not the rest of the pool crashers that are not checked.

KNWVIKING
07-26-2004, 06:11 PM
***" Even though I felt like I should report them to the lifeguard, I didn't feel like being a tattletale."***

WE have to start being TATTLETALE's !!!

It doesn't do a darn bit of good to complain about it here. E-mails aren't the answer either. Tell a lifeguard or CM. Make them address the problem then and there. If they don't, get a manager. If other parasites see people getting thrown out, maybe the embarrasment would make them think twice.

ripleysmom
07-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Seems to me that it's the people who stay at the Deluxes that think they are all that and a bag of chips. I guess it must be that "I am paying a lot of money to WDW for my room so I am entitled to poolhop" mentality.

LisaSt
07-26-2004, 06:21 PM
I would have to agree with you Ripleysmom.

crisi
07-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Tyvek wristbands are $.0195 apiece for me ordering 1000 of them. Disney can probably get them much cheaper.

You could have the lifeguards issue them, as they do at SAB.

I don't think it would raise dues. Or if it does it would be pretty insignificant.

paults
07-26-2004, 06:35 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

how about installing one of those invisable fences they use for dogs:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: and have neck bands for guests so they can get into the pool area. And if you don't have this neck band you get a shock :eek: :eek: :eek: and that way the lifeguard can see who's not suppose to be there and go over and help that person up and out of the pool area.:worship: :worship:::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

JimC
07-26-2004, 06:52 PM
This topic generates a fair amount of passionate responses. What I find interesting is that no one ever talks about using restaurants at other resorts, or shopping at other resorts or boats at various resorts where they are available. Yet it seems to me that the logic is the same. I wonder why that is?

crisi
07-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Because it isn't the same.

When you shop at another resort, you may buy something. That is what they are there for. And the profits from the shop support the shop.

Same with a restaurant.

When you use the pool at a resort, you aren't paying anything for that pool. Even if you are a guest at another Disney resort. Particularly if you aren't a guest in a Moderate or Deluxe (a case could be made for the transitive value of pool slides - although SAB is such a different animal that it throws any comparison out of whack).

Moreover, hotel pools get crowded at certain times of year. They are built to house some percentage of hotel guests - not some percentage of hotel guests, plus guests from other Disney resorts, plus DVC pool hoppers, plus day guests who take a break in the Poly pool. It may sound selfish, but if my kid waits in line for the pool slide 10 minutes instead of 5 because half the guests are "pool crashing" my kid isn't getting the enjoyment from the pool that we are entitled to as guests of the resort. I think vernon recently used this arguement in a thread about occupancy - and he has a point - however, I'd guess the reason pools are crowded has more to do with busy seasons and pool crashers than five in a room.

It would be different if all pools were hopped to equally. But the proximity of the MK and Epcot/MGM resorts to the parks make them an attractive spot to "hop" to during the day -- while its unlikely that WL guest will be hopping over to Pop Century.

Dean
07-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Using bands would likely be cheaper than what they are doing now. Since they do police it part of the time, they spend a lot of time spinning their wheels. A band and enforcement thereoff would make it easy to have a limited enforcement using minimal employee time. You link the bands to the pool towels and check them off a list using a key and or resort guest list. No room key or other proper ID, no towels or band. No band, they get stopped and asked to leave if they don't have proper ID. You just let everyone know this is the rule and will be enforced by telling them at check in and putting it in the check in paperwork. It's very simple. Of course there will be those willing to test the system, just prove to them it's being enforced. Change colors once a week. Almost no crashers from then on.

3DisneyNUTS
07-26-2004, 08:16 PM
while I take offense to the value resort comments since we loved the Pop century when we stayed there. IMO it is awesome for my 3 year old it will be just as fun when we go back in NOV.........Anyway...It takes a rare breed to just pool hop when not staying at the resort. Plus it is a huge bother IMO so that is what makes it a rare person to go through all that trouble. The easiest thing to do is start with checking the ids on the busses. I think a resort guests hopping (no matter what the level of accomodations) is much less aggrivating than an offsite person coming over from the MK or another WDW park. Then after the bus situation is cleared up checking at the pool should also happen. That way it isn't left all on the pool staff. Disney has the system in place already it just needs to be adheared too. Check ids on the busses and the pools no need for more intervention IMO.

Dreamfinder2
07-26-2004, 10:01 PM
That thud you just heard was my jaw hitting the floor.

I guess the next value resort built should be themed like hell, because it seems as though some feel that's where those guests belong. Eternal flames? Shrieks of the damned? The possibilities are endless.

Gee. I thought the magic of Disney should be available to everyone. I guess that's why I wasn't a marketing major in college.

Deb & Bill
07-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Dreamfinder2
That thud you just heard was my jaw hitting the floor.

Gee. I thought the magic of Disney should be available to everyone. I guess that's why I wasn't a marketing major in college.

Disney Magic is available for everyone who cares to pay the appropriate price. It's not free to anyone. If you pay for a value resort, that's what you get; if you pay for a specific moderate resort, again, you get that resort. If you pay for a specific deluxe resort, you get the amenities of that resort.

That's why you can't park hop on a one day ticket. You didn't pay to park hop.

FOTM_Ring_Bearer
07-26-2004, 10:21 PM
On the 4th of July they were checking resort ids at the BW pool. The CM's were on the steps next to the pool bar, giving out wrist bands.

Just a thought, but just because someone has a different resort mug, they may not be pool hopping. We stayed at the CBR before we moved over to the BW and used our CBR mugs to keep our cocktails cold longer. We only bought BW mugs for the kids sodas at the pool.

Too bad they don't have refillable rum and cokes. ;)

Dreamfinder2
07-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Deb & Bill, my point exactly. With proper budgeting and saving, WDW is available to all sorts of people. Therein lies the magic - it's not reserved for just the 6-figure wage earners. Without the value resorts, there would be many folks - good and decent ones, even! - who might not be able to swing a family vacation at Disney.

I was raised not to make class distinctions, and I bet most of y'all were, too! The worth of an individual - their manners, their integrity, their genuineness (is that a word?) - is not tied to their bankroll. I guess the solution would be for everyone who comes to Disney to bring a copy of their bank statement, to be screened at the entrance gate. Disney could safely assume that those of a certain financial strata wouldn't pool hop, and all those problems could be solved. Who'd want to share a pool with those nasty people, anyway? Think of the danger of infection by God-knows-what.

Sorry. Perhaps I've wandered OT. You can have your thread back. We're content to swim where we stay, btw.

I love all of y'all, but sometimes the pettiness just astonishes me. I've led a sheltered life.

sap1227
07-26-2004, 10:46 PM
You can not imagine how many people I know that go "eat" at the Poly and then swim in the pool (I live about 20 mins away). I have tried many times to explain to them that this is WRONG, but they seem to not care. One person even told me that they saw old BC room keys on Ebay and wondered if that would get them into SAB. :rolleyes:

Disney really should do something about "illegal" poolhoppers.

However, as long as it is "legal" for DVC members, we should be able to do it without feeling like evil people!!

Disney Hot Mama
07-26-2004, 11:03 PM
We just got back from BCV on Friday. They never checked our ID's once. Maybe we looked like we belong? LOL

It was our first time there and we expected it to be crowded but really it was not bad at all.

Mickmse2002
07-27-2004, 12:06 PM
We haven't ever done the pool hopping thing. Always seems like too much trouble to have to go through while on vacation. I mean pool water is basically pool water be it at a luxury resort, moderate resort, or value resort. Now having said that I will add my .02 to the argument: Disney resorts should do whatever it takes to enforce their rules relative to pool hopping. If you don't belong you don't belong; it's as simple as that. I don't care if you're wandering over from the Grand Floridian, a local scamming for some time or from Pop Century. if you don't belong you don't belong.

FLYNZ4
07-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Personally, I think that most of you are trying to fix a problem that does not exist. WDW pools generally do not get overcrowded, and pool hopping is generally not a problem.

I would personally prefer to spend my time worrying about something that matters... and IMHO, this topic is trivial in magnitude.

/Jim

MomsGoneGoofy
07-27-2004, 01:27 PM
I don't believe installing fences with keyed access would solve anything. We've stayed at the HHI resort and people just wait at the gate until someone uses their key to get in and follow them in. I know it could be some resort guest that forgot their key (so no bashing please), but some do not hide the fact that they are not resort quests. During our last stay at HHI only once were we asked to see our room key. We are owners at OKW and BWV and my family enjoys an occasional pool hop. Last summer we were staying at BCV and went over to BWV for a short time just to see what that pool was like.

chainkid
07-27-2004, 01:33 PM
This isn't trivial when you are a member at BWV and yet can't find a place to sit with family at the main pool because of pool hoppers. Frankl I never pool hop but it makes me mad that BC members can crowd our pool but we aren't allowed to crowd theirs. Luna Park is a cut above the average resort pool and its location makes it easy for pool hopping. Most of the time its not a problem but lately I noticed alot of people not staying t the resort using the pool and there were few good seats to be had.

sgtdisney
07-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Pa@okw95
It just shows me how far down WDW has fallen in the past years. They opened up the place to everyone when they built those value resorts.

I really don't think the 'quality' of the people who stay at those terrible Value Resorts :rolleyes: has anything to do with this problem. I have heard a number of stories about some of the people who stay in the deluxe resorts in concierge level rooms that are equally nasty and actually even more repulsive. Those people spent upwards of 400.00 a night for their rooms.

There are people who disobey or break rules in all social classes. Rude people have been around long before the Value Resorts were even even a twinkle in Mikey's eye.

FLYNZ4
07-27-2004, 01:48 PM
We primarily have gone to WDW during the busiest times of the year... when kids were out of school... and after dozens of trips (typically 2+ weeks each) we never had a problem finding a lounge chair, or a table to use by any pool, at any resort. I am not saying that it is impossible... but I just do not find it to be a big problem.

I think that relatively few people actually pool hop... and for the most part... people pool hopping "into" your resort, are offset by people pool hopping "out of" your resort.

Even during our numerous visits to Y&BC resorts... we have only had them issue the wrist bands a few times.... most times it was trivial to pool hop into SAB if you wanted. I never seen SAB overcrowded either.

OTOH, I have seen overcrowding at certain restaurants... like Beaches and Cream... but that is just life. If it is too busy... we just come back later... or waitlist.

/Jim

Figment56
07-27-2004, 02:06 PM
I think pool hopping should be allowed, but you must use your room key to get in to any pool! That way, if you are staying on-property, you can get in. If not, too bad! As most people have said, they do not pool hop-it's not worth it if your own resort has a pool to use and it would keep non-property people out. Too many people today feel that all rules are meant to be broken, pool hopping, line cutting, etc. Whatever happened to respect and manners?

OneMoreTry
07-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Wristbands!!! We need wristbands!!!

But IMHO, Luna Park pool is NOT worth hopping to anyway. My kids got bored with it pretty quickly. If we're gonna hop, we hop to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon.

But give me Pool Hopping Liberty, or give me death. OK, not death. Maybe another cool perk like 50% off water parks!!!

manning
07-27-2004, 03:27 PM
And if you don't have this neck band you get a shock

Before or after they enter the water ??

dianeschlicht
07-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Figment56
I think pool hopping should be allowed, but you must use your room key to get in to any pool! That way, if you are staying on-property, you can get in. If not, too bad! As most people have said, they do not pool hop-it's not worth it if your own resort has a pool to use and it would keep non-property people out. Too many people today feel that all rules are meant to be broken, pool hopping, line cutting, etc. Whatever happened to respect and manners?
Figment, you are DEFINITELY the voice of reason on this thread! I totally agree with that. I don't pool hop, and don't see myself ever doing it. I do think it should be a perk for those staying ON WDW PROPERTY. No "Mickey Mousing" around about WHICH resort you stay at, but do you have a current WDW reservation. Sounds perfectly fair to me.

Figment56
07-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks Diane,

I think that might cut down on people just visiting! Room keys can be programmed to allow you into pools you are supposed to be in and ones you are not allowed into!

KNWVIKING
07-27-2004, 05:25 PM
.... who do you give the room key too ? Will there be a CM walking around checking keys ? Will this require fencing in all the pools ? Does this pre-empt calling ahead to see if pool hopping is allowed ?

Why should I need to show an ID to get into a pool I'm already allowed to be in. I have no problem showing my ID to an inquiring CM on the lookout for infringing parasites.

First, the resorts need to post at all the pools, in several locations, that the pools are only intended for guests staying at that resort. Second, in the portfollio they give you when you check in, a big reminder that your neighbors pool is not intended for you. Wanna swim,swim here. And last, when off-property people are caught swimming,prosecute them. Who cares if the headlines are bad..... those headlines will keep the other parasites out.

HUFF590
07-27-2004, 05:27 PM
I just bought SSR and my agent used PH as part of the sales pitch and my wife and I loved this perk. Although we will not get to go till 2005 we are looking to using the perk even though we may not get to this trip. My dw and I have no kids to push us to go to other pools we want to, try out places to eat shop etc, this was one strong selling point , also from what I can gather the people who want the perk PHing out number those who dont 50 to 1 although Im new to DVC we have been going toWDW 15 years several times a year ( should have joined years ago) I know crazy lol but back to my point Ive stayed everywhere including the dvc resorts and have never seen a pool over crowded dont blow this out of perportion but I agree that non members should obey the rules and DVC alike. I dont beleive a slide at OKW will cause the perk to be removed but in fact it should help the problem alot, now maybe most people will stay home.

KNWVIKING
07-27-2004, 05:35 PM
***"also from what I can gather the people who want the perk PHing out number those who dont 50 to 1"***

I don't think anyone is in favor of any perk being discontinued. None of liked losing anything except weight and virginity. But I also think more of us aren't going to be upset if it does go away. I've never pool hopped. Do I like the perk-yes. Do I want to keep it- yes. Will I be upset if it goes away- disappointed maybe,but not upset.

Disney1fan2002
07-27-2004, 06:13 PM
When you use the pool at a resort, you aren't paying anything for that pool. Even if you are a guest at another Disney resort. Particularly if you aren't a guest in a Moderate or Deluxe (a case could be made for the transitive value of pool slides - although SAB is such a different animal that it throws any comparison out of whack).

Ok, according to this theory, DVC members who own OKW should not be able to pool hop to any other DVC resort because they don't pay as much maitenance fees as the other resorts.

And are you calling out value resort guests here? If I read this correctly, you are saying ESPECIALLY value resorts guests should not pool hop.

I think they should throw pool hopping out the window. Use the pool at your own resort, and that's it.

Disney1fan2002
07-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by LisaSt
Since when does staying at a value resort make you any less of a guest than somone staying at AKL or BC or CR? I think that comment was pretty derogatory as my wife and I are DVC members and still love to stay at All Stars so does that make us less deserving no I don not think so. Get a grip as was mentioned the offenders were from AKL and BC so far from any value resort.

this OP feels that the downhill slide of the quality of WDW started with the opening of "Value resorts" Many of his posts reflect this. I guess if you are not in the social class of being able to afford $200+ a night for accomodations, you have no right to stay on Disney property, and it is these people (which by the way was US before we bought DVC) that are overflowing the parks, ect.

DIZNYFAN
07-27-2004, 06:28 PM
I agree with HUFF the PHing was a big plus for our family. We all love to swim and love the pools no matter where we are staying at Disney. If they have issues with it big deal no different than any other thing in the time share world. I find this funny that people think we should be treated better than otehr guests at WDW because we are members of DVC. Honestly they the cash paying guests should get some preferential treatment when you look at what they are spending for a vacation compared to what the vast majority of DVC members spend. Yes we paid a membership fee as it would be for this but come on to get better treatment or preferential treatment is to much. Get real folks the pools will always be used by other guests than those of us staying t that resort so should we also get rid of the water mouse rentals and so on just like the pass discounts why do we deserve them over other guests it all comes back to the we are members and we deserve it. Well no we are members but are no better than cash paying guests we just chose a different way of paying for our vacations to Disney.

jel0511
07-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi again! :wave: This is the original poster to this thread and I wanted to clear a few things up. First off, the BCV guests who did pool hop to Luna Park didn't bother me, it just amazed me that there were so many with SAB at their disposal. The two illegal pool hoppers did bother me, since on this particular day, the pool was out of chairs and loungers by 11AM. These people were taking space up for BWV guests who wanted to sit down, but couldn't because they were using the space. I admit I should have said something to the lifeguard, but in general don't like to make waves, so I usually don't. I in no way wanted this to become a debate about pool hopping, I just wanted to share what I thought was a funny story and post my feelings about it. I also didn't want this to become a debate about social classes or what has happened to WDW since the Values have opened. Please take that into account when posting a response to this thread.!! Thanks and now back to your regularly scheduled Dis'ing.:jester:

LakeAriel
07-27-2004, 06:37 PM
I bought memebership into the VWL because I love it there. I have no need to hop to another pool. Pool time is down time, time to relax. I save my to schlepping for the parks. I think discontinuing this perk may be the only way to stop everybody in Orlando using pools that are exclusively for resort guests. I don't see any reason to share this pool, these people don't share my labor that paid for me to swim there! Sorry. Maybe they can substitute another perk to replace that. Perhaps fast passes or a better discount on park passes?:earsgirl:

DIZNYFAN
07-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Exatly my point Lake Ariel you worked hard for the money to buy your membership just as others have worked hard for the money to pay cash for their Disney holiday again what makes us better or more deserving than they are nothing as I see it.

LakeAriel
07-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Your missing the point. We all have to live within our means. I have stayed offsite because that is all I could afford. I enjoyed my trip and wouldn't think of going to another resort to swim! I now have worked longer and INVESTED nearly $20,000 into Disney. I have prepaid for my accomodations for the next 40 years. Disney is using my money to build more resorts. I can therefore stay in a luxury resort. Every one should enjoy their hard earned wages and spend them the way they choose. I chose to do this for myself and family to enjoy the perks of a deluxe resort. If you are illegally pool hopping you need to be asked to leave. I don't expect to be able to take a nap in the Grand Floridian without paying for it. I can't expect to spend three weeks in a one bedroom at VWL because I don't have enough points. That's life.

Dean
07-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by LakeAriel
I bought memebership into the VWL because I love it there. I have no need to hop to another pool. Pool time is down time, time to relax. I save my to schlepping for the parks. I think discontinuing this perk may be the only way to stop everybody in Orlando using pools that are exclusively for resort guests. I don't see any reason to share this pool, these people don't share my labor that paid for me to swim there! Sorry. Maybe they can substitute another perk to replace that. Perhaps fast passes or a better discount on park passes?:earsgirl: Unfortunately the reverse is true. Not being able to stop crashers are the reason the perk is in jeopardy. If they stop PH, they will have the same problem, it just won't be a DVC problem other than at the resort they are staying at.

Dopey's twin Dippy
07-27-2004, 07:41 PM
we have gone at least 8 - 9 times to disney. couple of times also off site. we STAY at the ALL STARS because i dont really want to PAY $$$$$$$ for a room cause we are hardly there. i would never ever judge anyone by where they stay at Disney. actually i have better things to do with my time. Also , a note how about when we have to STAND on the busses when the REGUALAR OUTSIDE people that go to disney for the day ALSO get to RIDE or STAND on busses. I think theyshould have more bene . for people staying on property. but that is everyones choicr right. I go with my family to ENJOY and get away from it all. we should all NOT SWEAT THE SAMLL STUFF................

Dopey's twin Dippy
07-27-2004, 07:43 PM
sorry that was supposed to be DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF. sorry my dd phoned and i messed up............

DIZNYFAN
07-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Well put Dopey I agree it really isn't worth getting worked up over itis after all only a swimming pool.

LakeAriel
07-27-2004, 08:36 PM
I respect your decision to stay at All Stars. Why not? You enjoy that theme and don't want to spend the extra on the room. That's your right. I have a friend that loves the Boardwalk. I like the woodsy atmosphere. Fine. I just don't expect to get GF benefits at VWL. As for small stuff. I stayed for 8 days at AKL with my daughter and granddaughter. I repeat, not once were we able to sit by the pool. So everyday, as my 7 year old granddaughter swam we had to be standing there watching when we weren't in the water! Now if they were remiss in planning and didn't have enough seats I would blame the lodge. However I clearly watched people get off the Animal Kingdom bus with their towels and use the pool. That is just wrong and not small stuff. That resort is very expensive, cash OR points, and guests do come first. Besides being very inconvenient it is also a security risk to allow people to park at Animal Kingdom , hop a free Disney bus, and go onto resort property to use the facilities..

DIZNYFAN
07-27-2004, 09:12 PM
Yes but that is no different from anything else like the Disney transportation people come in and park at DTD orwherever and use the buses to get to parks and resorts etc to avoid paying for parking and so on. I honestly see no problem with it as I said it is only a pool so what if others use it. I honestly can't be worried about some family dropping in to check out the pool at our resort because they were hot and wanted to take a dip. Maybe after they go for a swim they will go into Olivias and have dinner so they are spending money at the resort no different than us going to chef Mickeys and having dinner then going for a swim.

JimC
07-27-2004, 09:15 PM
I respect your decision to stay at All Stars. Why not? You enjoy that theme and don't want to spend the extra on the room. That's your right. I have a friend that loves the Boardwalk. I like the woodsy atmosphere. Fine. I just don't expect to get GF benefits at VWL. As for small stuff. I stayed for 8 days at AKL with my daughter and granddaughter. I repeat, not once were we able to sit by the pool. So everyday, as my 7 year old granddaughter swam we had to be standing there watching when we weren't in the water! Now if they were remiss in planning and didn't have enough seats I would blame the lodge. However I clearly watched people get off the Animal Kingdom bus with their towels and use the pool. That is just wrong and not small stuff. That resort is very expensive, cash OR points, and guests do come first. Besides being very inconvenient it is also a security risk to allow people to park at Animal Kingdom , hop a free Disney bus, and go onto resort property to use the facilities..

Agree.

Desperado
07-27-2004, 09:21 PM
I agree with your post, but certainly not with your signature. Disney needs to address the problem with pool crashers. If it's AKL, it's not DVC pool hoppers causing the problem.

DIZNYFAN
07-27-2004, 09:31 PM
I have to question the security reason though. I do realize that there are unsavory people everywhere but they could also be DVC members and we would never know it. So to say it is a security risk for non members to be there is kind of silly. Sorry to point this out but you never know who could cause a security risk it could be your neighbour and you would never know it till the cops show up and take them away. So if it is felt non members were the problem then would it not or could it not be said that DVC members could cause some issues also just some food for thought.

KNWVIKING
07-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

There, that's a load off my back.

Desperado
07-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by DIZNYFAN
I agree with HUFF the PHing was a big plus for our family. We all love to swim and love the pools no matter where we are staying at Disney. If they have issues with it big deal no different than any other thing in the time share world. I find this funny that people think we should be treated better than otehr guests at WDW because we are members of DVC. Honestly they the cash paying guests should get some preferential treatment when you look at what they are spending for a vacation compared to what the vast majority of DVC members spend. Yes we paid a membership fee as it would be for this but come on to get better treatment or preferential treatment is to much. Get real folks the pools will always be used by other guests than those of us staying t that resort so should we also get rid of the water mouse rentals and so on just like the pass discounts why do we deserve them over other guests it all comes back to the we are members and we deserve it. Well no we are members but are no better than cash paying guests we just chose a different way of paying for our vacations to Disney.
Well, if I understand some of the convoluted rationalizing your attempting to convey, I must say that I dissagree completely. As a DVC member, we purchased the priviledge of pool hopping with our DVC membership. If you are staying at a resort on cash, you did not purchase the priviledge of going to the pool of a different resort other than the one you are paying cash at. It's not a matter of expecting "preferential treatment" or "we are members and we deserve it" it is a matter of purchasing the priviledge as spelled out in our purchase agreements with DVC. it is not a matter of anyone being better than a "cash paying guests', they just did not purchase the priviledge of pool hopping through their purchase. Should someone who purchased a one day pass be allowed to enter the parks on the second day without purchasing another pass? Should someone who purchased a one day, one park pass be allowed to park hop, when they didn't purchase that option? Absolutely not.

It is wrong for local pool crashers to use Disney resort pools when not staying at the resorts. It is wrong for someone staying at all stars to use the deluxe resort pools. Both those offenders who are stealing services should be removed if not prosecuted for tresspassing.

We don't pool hop, although we'd like to see the priviledge remain. We also don't drop in to our local hotels and use thier pools without paying for a room, or use someone elses car, house or pool without thier invitation and permission, 'cause it ain't right to do so. We don't use the pools of local country clubs where we are not members, we dont use the exercise equipment of local health clubs where we are not members, we don't drop in and use the pools of local apartment complexes where we are not renting an apartment. It would be stealing. It's really not a hard concept to grasp. I don't understand why the rules would be diffferent just because it is Disney.

DIZNYFAN
07-27-2004, 09:50 PM
We pool hop quite often and we have used SAB mind you it was during Dec when you are allowed to use it. We have also used all the pools on the monorail line and some of the moderate pools to. We have never had anyone question us or look at us like we were not supposed to be there. So you just never know who is from the resort and who is not unless you put up a fence and had a key check you could never keep everyone out. Disney would also never do it and suffer the negative press etc that would surface from this.

Dean
07-27-2004, 10:08 PM
We pool hop quite often and we have used SAB mind you it was during Dec when you are allowed to use it. We have also used all the pools on the monorail line and some of the moderate pools to. We have never had anyone question us or look at us like we were not supposed to be there. So you just never know who is from the resort and who is not unless you put up a fence and had a key check you could never keep everyone out. Disney would also never do it and suffer the negative press etc that would surface from this. They've already done it at times. It's gated with a key at VB and BCV does it quite often with a CM standing there checking ID's. Don't know about any other resorts. As for not caring who's a crasher, I do. Guess I'll have to get my double barrel super soaker all filled up.

kweaver
07-27-2004, 10:12 PM
We've been DVCers for less than a year. Pool hopping is a perk that was mentioned several times by our guide. We hope it remains a perk for a long, long time.

We hopped over the BWV during our trip and loved being able to do so. This was our first PHing experience ever. The pool was busy...or should I say lots of chairs were taken. There weren't that many people actually IN the pool. We did find one chair to throw our stuff on, which was certainly good enough for us (though it was near the mister and got all wet). I helped the kids change in the bathroom, and got a couple of odd looks from two older ladies when we came out. I'm sure they thought we were illegal pool hoppers! :)

I don't know that PHing necessarily costs Disney anything. I realize that some folks who paid cash at a Deluxe might feel that a pool hopper is in *their* chair...but most of the time they don't know who is pool hopping and who isn't! If we didn't hop over to BWV, we would have been using the pool at SSR...and using the same towels, lifeguards, etc. BWV got more of our $$ for beverages and snacks since we didn't drag any along with us. A plus for the bottom line at the Boardwalk!

KNWVIKING and Desperado - we're on the same team! ;)

LakeAriel
07-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Diznyfan
The security issue is that I believe a resort should know who's hanging out at their pool. They have a guest list which would give them the names of all registered guests. If something happens, be it natural or criminal incident, it is nice to nice to know who is present. Of course even if you are legally pool hopping this can be problematic. Only my opinion.:sunny:

Beca
07-27-2004, 11:12 PM
We pool hop quite often and we have used SAB mind you it was during Dec when you are allowed to use it. We have also used all the pools on the monorail line and some of the moderate pools to. We have never had anyone question us or look at us like we were not supposed to be there. So you just never know who is from the resort and who is not unless you put up a fence and had a key check you could never keep everyone out. Disney would also never do it and suffer the negative press etc that would surface from this.

They have done this at Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian, just to keep out "locals"...GC opens up to DTD where people go "clubbing" and eating out a LOT in California. The fences are actually BEAUTIFUL and do not detract from the pool at ALL...just one more thing..I have NEVER seen either one of those pools "too crowded" to use. You have to have a key to open the door from the outside OR the inside. I think this cuts down on a lot of "crashers"...people are more than willing to stand on the outside of the gate and wait to get in...but, I think people find it "embarassing" to stand on the inside and wait to get out (that's just my theory).

Personally, I am for whatever adds to the "sanctity" of the resort where I am staying.

LakeAriel...others may not agree...but, I am right there with you!!!
;)

:wave:

Beca

Disney Hot Mama
07-28-2004, 12:21 AM
What time to the quiet pools close? We stayed at the BCV. The sign posted says the pool closes at 11 PM. The front desk told me it was opened 24 hours. It was very noisy beginning at 10:30 each night which was horrible as we were going to bed at that time. We have young kids. Next time I will ask for a room that faces Epcot however I was a bit dissapointed that the people using the pool at night were so rude.

Do we as members have any say so in the pool hours?

Uncleromulus
07-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Not really.
And most times Disney resort CM's and security will do little or nothing to remove these sort of "guests".
Which is why we NEVER, EVER accept any room near a pool.
You'll find that many times entire families will take over these "quiet" pools and act just as obnoxious as they would at home. Some of the wost behavior we've seen at WDW has occured at these pools.

crisi
07-28-2004, 07:40 AM
There are a couple different debates going on here.

I don't think Disney should remove the DVC pool hopping perk until they have fixed the local/other resort guest/day guest pool crashing problem. Gates or wristbands or.....

I think that if they remove the pool crashing problem and they STILL have an overcrowding issue because when the perk was created there were very few DVC rooms and now there are thousands, then they should evaluate removing the DVC perk.

While I don't WANT to see the perk go away, I'd rather enjoy the pool for the resort I stay at in uncrowded (or the least possible crowded comfort) than be able to hop. I also think that is more fair. It isn't like a WL guest can hop because DVC members are crowding their pool.

TheWho
07-28-2004, 08:15 AM
Let me take the side of the resort guest (I am a DVC member who has never bothered to pool hop).

Maybe the resort guests don't like us coming into their pools? I say this, because I stayed recently at the Poly and it was extremely crowded in the mid-afternoon. I thought, all of these people must not be from this resort, it's just too crowded. NOW, I'm sure the pool crashing problem there is locals who can park, go to MK, and swim for free. However, the pool was so packed that ONE legal DVC hopper was too much. Afterall, I'm now the resort guest paying $300 a night wanting to enjoy the resort pool.

The real answer is enforcing the current rules. Let us hop where appropriate and kick out the others.

just a thought....

LakeAriel
07-28-2004, 08:27 AM
I agree Dave, 100%

Thanks Beca.
The way I look at it, "The Land of Make Believe" is Disney World, not DC! ;)

dianeschlicht
07-28-2004, 09:08 AM
I suspect this might also be a seasonal problem. We often go to the hot tubs at the OKW quiet pools at around 10 pm. We are almost always there by ourselves, which is why we like to go at that time. That being said, we are usually travelling in December and January, so that may have something to do with the lack of guests.

tjkraz
07-28-2004, 09:10 AM
That probably part of the reason that Disney has changed the name from "Quiet" to "Leisure" Pool. :(

dianeschlicht
07-28-2004, 09:11 AM
I thought they were calling them "neighborhood" pools. That is probably more appropriate for OKW though.

CarolMN
07-28-2004, 09:25 AM
IMHO, if you encounter unacceptable levels of noise coming from the pool area after 10 pm (posted close time), you should call the front desk and complain.

At BWV, we were told that we could use the pools/hot tubs on a 24 hour basis, but that if guests complained about noise late at night, we would be asked to leave. FWIW, I have witnessed noisy guests being removed from the quiet pool at BWV and I'm quite sure it was due to other guests' complaints.

Best wishes -

sheryl0521
07-28-2004, 09:29 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned already - but I find it funny that the two guests that pool hopped to BWV - were staying at the two hotels that other DVC members can NOT pool hop to - BCV & AKL.

:eek:

jel0511
07-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by sheryl0521
I don't know if this has been mentioned already - but I find it funny that the two guests that pool hopped to BWV - were staying at the two hotels that other DVC members can NOT pool hop to - BCV & AKL.

:eek: Actually we saw MANY pool hoppers from BCV, who we didn't talk to. The two we did talk two was one from AKL and another from an unknown resort. The one from the unknown resort didn't even know the name of the resort he was swimming at, so I'm guessing he was either a new WDW guest, or was staying off site.

Andrew Bichard
07-28-2004, 09:36 AM
A few points.

I never pool hop, not because I don't want to, but because I can't easily get out of the water & back into my wheelchair. BWV, where I normally stay, doesn't have a zero entry pool and I wouldn't be able to cope with 'bump' steps.

I sometimes find that the 'disabled' toilet is being used as a changing room. That *does* annoy me when I cannot use it.

My wife & I live in London, and our visits to WDW are our only opportunity to meet with friends & family living in USA. Our New York friends often stay over a couple of nights at WDW while we are there to be with us. They are not always at the same hotel (last trip they were at Swolfin). It is nice if they can come over to spend pool time with us one afternoon.

My father in law also comes visit while we are there. He lives in Florida and it is easier for him to visit us, than for us to visit him (adapted vans are mighty expensive to rent!). He doesn't go into the pool, but he will hang out with us poolside while my wife swims, maybe drinking cocktails from the pool bar.

Strictly speaking these are all mild abuses. I think however, the rules are needed, though pool CMs should have the right to relax them on a case by case basis, especially when the pool is less crowdwd.

Andrew

KNWVIKING
07-28-2004, 09:40 AM
That's why the retirement home at OKW has such great quite pools. Everybodies sound asleep by 10 pm.

Andrew Bichard
07-28-2004, 09:44 AM
I still like the term 'quiet pool'.

My wife & I like to relax quietly by the pool when staying at Boardwalk and love the small pool on the hotel side. We just like to sit & relax away from the noise of Luna Park, maybe reading a paperback.

Every once in a while the pool gets taken over by a family with noisy children, which drives us back to our room.

In my opinion, Luna Park is for screaming kids. There needs to be at least one pool where silence can be guaranteed.

Andrew

Happy Birthday Cat
07-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Andrew Bichard

My wife & I like to relax quietly by the pool when staying at Boardwalk and love the small pool on the hotel side. We just like to sit & relax away from the noise of Luna Park, maybe reading a paperback.

Every once in a while the pool gets taken over by a family with noisy children, which drives us back to our room.

In my opinion, Luna Park is for screaming kids. There needs to be at least one pool where silence can be guaranteed.

Andrew

I disagree strongly that silence needs to be guaranteed at a pool.

Someone on here mentioned a while back that the name quiet pool was not because of the lack of noise but because of the toned down theming of the pool area. Anyone who expects silence at a pool is being unrealistic (After 10 P.M. quiet is realistic). For example at the BWV quiet pool they hand out noodles at the Community Hall for use in the pool. I know when my kids are using them they are not quiet. But they are also not rude and/or unmannered.

HBC

lenshanem
07-28-2004, 10:22 AM
At BCV last week. Sign said 7 to 11, but we always saw people in it after 11. I asked a lifeguard at SAB about the quiet pools and he said the hours don't really mean anything, except they might ask people to leave if they are too loud after the 11 time.

LakeAriel
07-28-2004, 10:22 AM
That is unfortunate. I would suggest that your friends from New York book the same hotel as you or vice versa. You could also meet with them for lunch and dinner. Then there wouln't be a problem at all!:)

trainfun
07-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Like many of you, we started visiting Disney by staying at park resorts before buying at DVC.

In fact, I remember pool hopping as a resort guest in the mid-nineties and do not recall any prohibitions on this.

There are several concerns that have been presented that are valid and unfortunately in conflict. I think a few common sense security measures might reconcile rights of resort guests to fully enjoy the resort pools with the right of DVC members to pool hop.

First, resort guests have a right to access to the resort pool. When pool hoppers take up tables, lounges and resort guests cannot find space, the resort guests are being denied service they are paying for. In this instance allowing pool hopping is both unfair and a bad policy.

Second, pool hopping is a nice perk. When pools are not at capacity, it is interesting to check out other pools. Our kids enjoyed the slides at Stormalong Bay and Luna Park which we hopped to from OKW. Also, pool hopping tends to be for a few hours on one day of a visit in our experience. If the pool was that big a deal, we'd use our points to stay at the other resort.

Third, part of the magic of Disney is being very relaxed at your resort. Would having fences, room key entry, and CM's checking ID's intrude? (It works at Vero, without a problem.)

Fourth, security at Disney has definitely declined over the years. On our first visit in 1991, our room ID's were asked for to get towels at the Poly pool, and we had to show our ID's to get on buses or on to the monorail. That doesn't happen anymore.

So, more day trippers are using Disney transportation to go to resorts and use the pools illegally. I believe this is much more of a problem than the DVC pool hopping policy. Asking to see ID's to get on to the resort monorail, and all buses to/from resorts would make it much harder for day trippers to use the resort pools. I don't know why Disney stopped doing this, but it should start again. I think this would eliminate about 90% of the problem.

Fifth, wrist bands are a pain. They were tried at Vero on one visit there. They wound up as litter, and they were a general bother. Also, nobody seemed to enforce the policy anyway, so some folks wore them, others didn't and the result was more trouble than it was worth.

Overall, I believe the best possible approach that preserves pool hopping for DVC members, while being fair to resort guests would involve:
1. To get towels at any pool, a valid resort ID must be shown.
2. To get on the resort monorail, a valid resort ID must be shown.
3. To get on any bus that stops at a WDW resort, a valid resort ID must be shown.
4. Allow pool hopping as it is now, with the right for the practice to be suspended (as it is now) during periods of high occupancy.
5. CM's should be instructed to politely question anyone they believe to be illegally at the pool, and if caught, any tickets held by the tresspassers would be invalidated. Signs to this effect should be posted prominently wherever tickets are sold and tickets purchased through the mail or a travel agent should include this information clearly in large print.

The above is fairly easy to implement, would not add to expenses and would probably eliminate most problems.

LakeAriel
07-28-2004, 10:41 AM
BRAVO!

crisi
07-28-2004, 10:45 AM
2. To get on the resort monorail, a valid resort ID must be shown.
3. To get on any bus that stops at a WDW resort, a valid resort ID must be shown.

Except park hoppers allow anyone use of Disney transportation - and a lot of non-resort guests visit the resorts for the restuarants and atmosphere. Particularly troublesome in the Epcot resort area - where the Boardwalk, the restuarants in the nearby hotels and the minigolf course are supposed to be big draws, but likewise, non-resort guests go to the California Grill, the Luau and the Hoop Dee Doo Review - as well as a ton of other restaurants that may not be the huge draw. Or the spa at the Grand Floridian or SSR. Resort hopping is a favorite activity of a lot of people - particularly at Christmastime.

TheWho
07-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Just as a bit of info.
I was also at Vero last month and I saw a lifeguard escort a couple of young kids (punks) out of the pool area. The kid responded with horrible language, but the CM kept her cool and watch him leave the grounds.

I guess it's easier to spot deadbeats at Vero because it is isolated and these kids are probably repeat offenders.

vernon
07-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Trainfun, I agree with the sentiment of your posts, although as Crisi correctly points out a park ticket allows guests the use of WDW transportation. It would be pretty easy, IMHO for Disney to up the security level around it's pools. I think that should be a first step to deal with overcrowding problems and see how that leaves the situation.

Andrew, don't know if you've thought of this answer to your dilema. If there is only you and your wife in your room ( no mention of kids) you could register your friends (or FIL) as guests in your room. That way you would have 4 room keys/ID. As your room would be designated as taking up to 4 guests I don't think anyone is going to complain that those guests don't choose to sleep in the room. Not that I think your situation is viewed as a infringement of rules anyway.

Mickmse2002
07-28-2004, 11:32 AM
*Firmly planting tongue in cheek* That's the problem with having families vacation together, they have too much fun and make too much noise.

Disney Hot Mama
07-28-2004, 11:35 AM
At BCV last week. Sign said 7 to 11, but we always saw people in it after 11. I asked a lifeguard at SAB about the quiet pools and he said the hours don't really mean anything, except they might ask people to leave if they are too loud after the 11 time.

The first night it happened I was to irrate to do anything. I had been woken up and was mad. The second night it happened I called immediately as people were drinking in the pools (we are talking open cans of coke and beer IN the pools!) I saw a security member/CM couldn't tell which come down - pick up some towels around the pool - walk right past these guests and do NOTHING. I now know to request away from the pools but didn't prior as that was my first stay home. I was really surprised that the staff did nothing which was not acceptable to me. We were even on the 4th floor and could still hear all the screaming.

manning
07-28-2004, 11:52 AM
I can remember when......lucky I can remember that far back.....staying on property you got to ride the resort monorail only if you stayed at a hotel or had a valid park ticket for the day. Others had to use the other monorail. You rode the bus on the same basis. Transportation was a pleasure. Now it is cattle call.

Maybe that's why hotel rooms can't be filled. people may be saying "what's the advantage?"

crisi
07-28-2004, 12:13 PM
I suspect Disney resorts can't be filled because they overbuilt for the current economy - and because they aren't giving resort guests enough perks to draw them away from cheaper off site accomodations.

Resort guests shouldn't get pool hopping - because of capacity problems, but resort and DVC guests should get (in addition to EE, which is a very nice perk):

A longer priority seating window than non-resort guests.

Cheaper hoppers - they are already paying for transportation in their hotel bill or DVC dues.

Better character access - the character caravan was a poor substitute for EE - but characters in the resorts on a regular basis is a great idea.

None of these is really expensive (rather than discount the hoppers for resort guests, you could just not include resort guests in the next increase) - all add real value to guests staying on site.

They can also throw in the things that are "nearly free" A free round of minigolf with a seven night stay at any resort. Moderate guests can add one free 5x7 photo per room. Deluxe guests get the minigolf, the photo and a half hour mouseboat rental per room.

KNWVIKING
07-28-2004, 12:46 PM
The main bus abuse started when the stopped checking ID. Every local & off-site guest uses the DTD bus stops as their own personal TTC. They park for free, ride for free.

Uncleromulus
07-28-2004, 12:56 PM
You'll find that--in a general way-Disney will do nothing to curb the behavior of a guest who seems to be having a good time.

Even when it's at your (or my) expense.

Mickmse2002
07-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Uncleromulus
You'll find that--in a general way-Disney will do nothing to curb the behavior of a guest who seems to be having a good time.

Even when it's at your (or my) expense.

I do believe you are right. I am very sympathetic to the problem of people being very loud late at night, be it in the pools, in the hallways, outside etc. I think there should be a little tolerance for exuberant families during the posted "open" hours. Not all kids/families enjoy SAB or the big clown pool.

crisi
07-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Not that I don't think Disney should curb loud late night behavior, but its nice to hear that "Quiet" pools are being renamed. I think it set the expectation for quiet, adult experiences (like the adult pool on DCL), and I always thought they were more "overflow" pools or "neighborhood" pools. Smaller, less themed, but maybe closer to your room and less crowded.

crisi
07-28-2004, 01:03 PM
My, what a horrible double negative sentance construction I have going on there....for clarification

I believe Disney should keep all pools quiet after a certain time of night.

Kelly Nelly
07-28-2004, 01:40 PM

Andrew

You are totally right, Disney should enforce the odd pool here and there to adults only.

Mickmse2002
07-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Kelly Nelly
You are totally right, Disney should enforce the odd pool here and there to adults only.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

crisi
07-28-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm a big fan of child free spaces at Disney - Pleasure Island and V&As are two I'd lobby hard for. But not the quiet pools at the resorts. There simply isn't enough water for the guests during busy season to limit usuage to a set of guests who will underuse the pool. And that isn't the way most of the quiet pools were constructed. At the moderate resorts and OKW they are really "neighborhood" pools. At the Deluxe resorts they are both overflow and neighborhood pools (the "quiet" pool on the Inn side of the BW is much more convienent than Luna Park.) Even when Disney billed them as "quiet" they weren't billing them as "adults only."

Now, I think it would be great if there were an adult only pool "somewhere" on site that would be open for all resort guests to hop to. The type of pool you could do laps in. The defunct Disney Institute would have been an ideal location.

Mickmse2002
07-28-2004, 02:08 PM
I certainly don't want to engage anyone in a debate but (and you knew there had to be a but) I really don't think Disney should designate adults only areas at the resorts. That's not what the company does. It is supposed to be a family friendly, family oriented vacation experience. There are a kazillion "adults only" vacation experiences out there for people to enjoy and I certainly have no problem with them. I think if you want to avoid kids going to WDW probably isn't the thing to do.

tripletvan
07-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Not only do they go on all night but you will also be told that they are not "QUIET" pools which is what they are labled on all the maps. I can't tell you how many times I went to relax and unwind a little when all HEL_ brakes loose ! I am not an oger but just wish there was a true "QUIET" place other than my room.

tripletvan
07-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Sorry but I forgot to say that I agree with Nelly Kelly. I am all for kids being at the "quiet" pool but I guess my real problem is the level of activity that should be more appropriate at "LUNA". My nephew comes with us on vacation and is autistic which is why we love the "QUIET" pools as relax there as oppossed to the Luna. He can't process all the noise of the "Luna" and it terrifies him.

Kelly Nelly
07-28-2004, 04:07 PM
You know now that I think about it a little more kids at a quiet pool really does not bother me as long as they are quiet, I just wish that Disney could enforce the rule that all quiet pools should stay quiet. All of you must admit with me here that it is kinda of annoying when you are sitting in a quiet pool hot tub and a bunch of kids cannonball in while you are just trying to relax.

3DisneyNUTS
07-28-2004, 04:07 PM

I just hope it was brought to the CM's attention. It isn't going to stop if people turn their head and not want to get involved.

Happy Birthday Cat
07-28-2004, 04:25 PM
I just wish that Disney could enforce the rule that all quiet pools should stay quiet.

I disagree with you regarding the quiet pools. There is no rule that says guests at the "quiet" pool have to be quiet. So there is nothing in that regard for Disney to enforce. Unruly behavior is always unacceptable and should be dealt with. Expecting quiet at a pool in WDW is unrealistic.

HBC

KNWVIKING
07-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Put an adults only resort there.

The rest of WDW......leave it alone.

wintergreen
07-28-2004, 04:46 PM
I agree with Happy Birthday Cat. There is no rule that says that guests using a quiet pool must be silent. Many times my family enjoys the quiet pools more than the main pools b/c there is more room to stretch out and play.

LakeAriel
07-28-2004, 05:00 PM
I contacted member services as soon as I got home. When I saw this was an ongoing problem I realized going to the CM's every 5 minutes was just going to further ruin my vacation. Some of these people looked like they would get really nasty if tangled with. Management assured me they would look into and pass along my comments to the proper channels. Bologna. Sounds like nothing has been changed. I was also asked to do a survey when I returned from AKL and I let them know every detail also.
About 5 days ago I E-mailed member services again and was told I would hear in a few days. Still waiting. All DVC members should contact them and tell them that this needs to be addressed. Maybe with enough calls and Emails they will do something!

DIZNYFAN
07-28-2004, 05:47 PM
I have better things to do with my time than complain to MS about pool hopping guests like this for instance I would rather DIS than e mail MS about it.

Desperado
07-28-2004, 06:24 PM
I have better things to do with my time than complain to MS about pool hopping guests like this for instance I would rather DIS than e mail MS about it.
Pretty convenient if your one of the people who is abusing using other deluxe resort pools while staying on cash and a non-DVC basis.

LakeAriel
07-28-2004, 06:35 PM
The same thought crossed my mind Desperado. I don't pay a membership fee as mentioned by Diznyfan. I bought the points and pay dues. A member would know this. By the way, those dues are maintaining the pools for the GUESTS!

DIZNYFAN
07-28-2004, 06:37 PM
We are DVC members at HHI and have a sale pending at SSR and hopefully another add on at BWV. So yes we pay dues and we also have our monthly payment to Disney and honestly other people using the pools in not high on my list of things to worry about. I purchased my first contract direct through Disney in Oct of 01

BriarRosie
07-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by SSRex
We stayed one night at the Pop Century before moving over to BCV for 5 days and we both commented on what a different crowd there was at the Beach Club. You get what you pay for and I also felt that pool hopping was not a priviledge afforded only to DVC members, but also any dishonest or illiterate people (based on not being able to read the signs posted at Luna Pool). Kind of makes me think of Ellis Is. immigants verses illegal aliens.
Disney appears to be policing the pool gates like our government watches the borders. I had to send my kids to find someone to give them a wrist band at SAB. I was very upset at no restriction to enter. If pool hopping ends it will only be over for honest DVC members, not the rest of the pool crashers that are not checked.

Hm. I did the one night at Pop Century, then 5 nights at BCV thing in May. I didn't really think the Pop Century pool guests were much different. And I had no problems getting my wristband at Stormalong Bay, either. I saw a cast member giving wristbands near the towel cabinet, right by the entrance
gate. I'm happy that they were diligent in checking our resort IDs, too.

And I believe the people who ignore the signs aren't illiterate...just dishonest.

BriarRosie
07-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by trainfun
Fourth, security at Disney has definitely declined over the years. On our first visit in 1991, our room ID's were asked for to get towels at the Poly pool, and we had to show our ID's to get on buses or on to the monorail. That doesn't happen anymore.

So, more day trippers are using Disney transportation to go to resorts and use the pools illegally. I believe this is much more of a problem than the DVC pool hopping policy. Asking to see ID's to get on to the resort monorail, and all buses to/from resorts would make it much harder for day trippers to use the resort pools. I don't know why Disney stopped doing this, but it should start again. I think this would eliminate about 90% of the problem.

I find a little flaw with this. Disney actively encourages people to explore the resorts, and if money falls out of people's pockets at the gift shops and restaurants, it's a side-effect Disney is willing to live with. :teeth:

I've only stayed at a monorail resort once, but I've visited the resorts many times, usually because I like their restaurants!
(In May, I ate at Citrico's and 'ohana, but I was staying at
Pop Century and BCV for my stay.) And I never pool hop. ;)

Dean
07-28-2004, 07:13 PM
We are DVC members at HHI and have a sale pending at SSR and hopefully another add on at BWV. So yes we pay dues and we also have our monthly payment to Disney and honestly other people using the pools in not high on my list of things to worry about. I purchased my first contract direct through Disney in Oct of 01 Being a member isn't applicable per se. One must be a member staying at a DVC resort on points, not be during a blackout time period and call ahead to the resort in question to ger permission. Anything else is crashing. And DVC members are not entitled to use even their home resort unless staying there or staying at another DVC resort on points. Technically even if one is staying on a member cash discount PH wouldn't be allowed.

DIZNYFAN
07-28-2004, 07:21 PM
The only time we do not stay on points is for weekends we never use our points for weekend stays we like to try the other resorts. Next trip we are checking out Pop Century. We have tried Dixie Coronado all 3 All Stars and we have stayed at OKW BWV and VWL. We have rented out our points to pay cash for our cruise as it was a far better option than using points. We are staying at OKW in a GV for the 4 days prior to the cruise and then at SSR in a 2 bdrm for the 4 days after the cruise. So we PH at resorts while staying on points but honestly we could care less abvout others using the pools. It is also known that when staying at the All Stars you can use any other All Star pool so essentially they are allowing pool hopping there. Yes I realize they are all linked resorts just different theming but numerous guests take this to mean they can use all pools on property like that.

Andrew Bichard
07-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Happy Birthday Cat
I disagree strongly that silence needs to be guaranteed at a pool.

For example at the BWV quiet pool they hand out noodles at the Community Hall for use in the pool. I know when my kids are using them they are not quiet. But they are also not rude and/or unmannered.

HBC

I am sure your kids are not rude, just being kids. I'm not even saying that all 'quiet' pools have to be quiet, just that at resorts where it is possible (ie where there is more that one quiet pool), at least one pool be a quiet 'quiet' pool.

The fact they hand out noodles at the villa side quiet pool is why we walk across the lobby and use the Inn side quiet pool.

When I vacation, I like to relax, and I don't necessarily want to be around children 24/7.

Andrew

Sammie
07-28-2004, 07:38 PM
If the pool hours state it closes at 11pm I think anyone using the pool after the closing should be quiet enough to bother no one nearby.

We had a room facing this pool before and the same thing happened. We called security and at 1am they closed the pool and asked everyone to leave.

I guess it depends on who they send down there to check the situation.

Andrew Bichard
07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by vernon

Andrew, don't know if you've thought of this answer to your dilema. If there is only you and your wife in your room ( no mention of kids) you could register your friends (or FIL) as guests in your room. That way you would have 4 room keys/ID. As your room would be designated as taking up to 4 guests I don't think anyone is going to complain that those guests don't choose to sleep in the room. Not that I think your situation is viewed as a infringement of rules anyway.

Vernon, our kids are all grown up now, so my wife & I have the luxury of visiting WDW on our own after Labor day when kids are generally back at school and the resort pools mostly empty during the day. As a result we have never been challenged, and don't expect we ever will be. If challenged however, we would do (or offer to do) exactly as you suggest.

Andrew

Dean
07-28-2004, 07:51 PM
ANY pool should quiet down after a certain time, say 10:30 to 11 pm, but Disney and DVC never intended the term quiet pool to refer to enforced noise level, only less activities. And there would be no REASONABLE way for DVC to enforce or set up an adult only pool with the pool setup provided. To do so would require multiple pools in the same immediate area with the costs and other issues it would entail.

tjkraz
07-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Sammie
I guess it depends on who they send down there to check the situation.

Bingo!

I need my sleep on vacation. If there was a rowdy group outside my window at inappropriate hours, sure, I'd be on the phone to the front desk. And if I saw a CM fail to address the situation, I'd be on the phone again.

It's kinda hard to believe that the desk wouldn't have gotten more calls from guests. There are dozens of rooms surrounding those pools at BWV.

On the issue of 'adults only' pools, I'm pretty indifferent. If they had such pools, we would obviously respect the designation and probably even use the pools when we don't have the kiddies with us.

WDW has survived 30+ years without a public outcry for private pools, and the entire organization prides itself on being family oriented. It just doesn't feel like something that would be on Disney's radar.

Desperado
07-28-2004, 09:37 PM
It is also known that when staying at the All Stars you can use any other All Star pool so essentially they are allowing pool hopping there. Yes I realize they are all linked resorts just different theming but numerous guests take this to mean they can use all pools on property like that.
Yes, but as informed DVC members who understand pool hopping priviledges, we all know that those numerous guests using any other pool but all stars pools are violating the rules as well as common courtesy and common sense by doing so. These are pool crashers, that Disney needs to address prior to eliminating purchased pool hopping priviledges from DVC members.

Originally posted by Dean
Being a member isn't applicable per se. One must be a member staying at a DVC resort on points, not be during a blackout time period and call ahead to the resort in question to ger permission. Anything else is crashing. And DVC members are not entitled to use even their home resort unless staying there or staying at another DVC resort on points. Technically even if one is staying on a member cash discount PH wouldn't be allowed.
Great points. If someone mistakenly thought they purchased a year round pool membership by purchasing DVC points, they are mistaken. Think of what that would be like at HH if several locals bought some points, but decided they would use the facilities year round. What a hinderance that would be to DVC guests staying at the resort.

One can make all the rationalizations they want, but regardless of improper pool hopping by non-DVC members being against the rules, it's also inconsiderate and plain not right. Doesn't plain common courtesy and common sense factor into this somewhere? Or is it just abuse the system as much as I can for my own benefit thinking that wins out.

Oh well. I've never tried All Stars or All Stars pools. We use the specials on DIS and stay at the Swan or Dolphin when not at DVC. Wonderful pools.

Dean
07-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Desperado
Great points. If someone mistakenly thought they purchased a year round pool membership by purchasing DVC points, they are mistaken. Think of what that would be like at HH if several locals bought some points, but decided they would use the facilities year round. What a hinderance that would be to DVC guests staying at the resort. The Marriott's in HH and all Marriott's I know of, allow year around day use of the facilities. Many resorts allow this and I know people that have bought a timeshare simply to get this option. I know DVC is different and it would not be workable at WDW for this option. At HH and at VB it would be a doeable option I believe if DVC chose to go that route.

Desperado
07-28-2004, 10:54 PM
At HH and at VB it would be a doeable option I believe if DVC chose to go that route.
I dissagree completely. The comment borders on the absurd.

Sammie
07-29-2004, 12:59 AM
I am curious about something.

If the sign at the pool says it closes at 11pm, why do some think that does not mean them. ::yes::

Disney Hot Mama
07-29-2004, 01:20 AM
If the sign at the pool says it closes at 11pm, why do some think that does not mean them.

One reason for this is the front desk. When I asked at the BC what the hours of the 'quiet' pool at the villas was they told me 24 hours. I asked again the next night and was told the same thing!

Lisa P.
07-29-2004, 01:25 AM
These are pool crashers, that Disney needs to address prior to eliminating purchased pool hopping priviledges from DVC members.

This is an example of what perhaps "should" happen vs. what is simpler and cheaper. If you were a Disney bean counter and manager of a regular Disney hotel (non-DVC), which might you choose to do first in response to the complaints by your paid hotel guests re: pool overcrowding? Would you choose to first:

1. Pay $$$ to hire more staff to "police" the pool guests, or;
2. Pay $$$ to fence and gate your hotel's pool, or;
3. Pay nothing but press for the cancellation of PH by non-hotel guests (DVCers) who pay nothing toward your hotel's pool upkeep?
:confused3 Just asking from another angle, not saying it's "right."

BTW, the PH privilege was not purchased. It's a freebie, subject to change at DVC's will without notice or explanation.

Doesn't plain common courtesy and common sense factor into this somewhere?

You'd hope - another "should" kind of thing. :sad2:

Uncleromulus
07-29-2004, 06:11 AM
I just want to distinguish between "normal" pool behavior and the kinds of things I'm thinking of:
Throwing baseballs, softballs, frisbees and even footballs in the pool. Not when the pool is empty, but right in the midle of where others are trying to swim/relax. And not always the soft rubber kind--often the real thing.
Throwing french fries and food of all kinds in the pool. I once saw a little girl squeezing a bottle of Catsup into the pool while her parents(?) were clutching their sides, convulsed with laughter.
Deliberately dumping soda in the pool.
Not so small kids swimming naked in the pool.
Running along the sides of the pool (right past those signs that say "No running") while almost stepping on your head as you try to relax.
Cannonballing and diving right next to people already in the pool.

Alll of which I've seen at one time or other at these "quiet" pools at OKW.

And if it's often kids of all ages doing it, most of the times they're with adults who are simply ignoring it, or , in the case of throwing things, actually participating.
So what we do now is that when we go to a quiet pool and see it's already been taken over by such groups, we get in the car and drive to a different one. If we happen to find a pool where we can really relax, and a family or two (or three) like I've described shows up--we leave.
And as I said before, we NEVER,EVER accept any room near a pool. That solves the problem of the night owls.

Desperado
07-29-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Lisa P.
BTW, the PH privilege was not purchased. It's a freebie, subject to change at DVC's will without notice or explanation.

Sorry, but it was part of the package we purchased, and touted by the salespeople as an important perk. It is completely true that it is subject to change, and that was understood as part of the purchase. But, one must purchase DVC to have the priviledge, it is not offered to anyone who does not make the substantial investment in DVC.

Dean
07-29-2004, 06:46 AM
I dissagree completely. The comment borders on the absurd. If it's limited to owners at that resort it's certainly workable. The Marriott's on HH do it as does Ocean Pointe in West Palm and the ones in Orlando. However I'm not saying they should or will do it, only that they could if they wanted.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 07:58 AM
The Marriott's in HH and all Marriott's I know of, allow year around day use of the facilities. Many resorts allow this and I know people that have bought a timeshare simply to get this option. I know DVC is different and it would not be workable at WDW for this option. At HH and at VB it would be a doeable option I believe if DVC chose to go that route.

Our guide suggested we could do this but call ahead to make sure it was ok. So they do imply that you can use the pool if you are not officially staying there. That is not an official perk but he did say they will allow it with a call ahead. Now it may break the official rules but it is being used as part of the sales presentation. So maybe this is where some people got the idea it was ok as long as they are dvc members.

In our case we would never attempt this being we live in NY and to go to Disney and stay offsite is unthinkable! Plus I am not a big fan of the pool hopping idea anyway. Too much work LOL. But I think it should still be a perk.

Disney1fan2002
07-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Sorry, but it was part of the package we purchased, and touted by the salespeople as an important perk. It is completely true that it is subject to change, and that was understood as part of the purchase. But, one must purchase DVC to have the priviledge, it is not offered to anyone who does not make the substantial investment in DVC.

If it is not in the contract, it was not purchased. Disney used to offer TONS of perks for DVC members. Ask the owners who purchased at the time the free passes were being handed out. I don't know if they still get the free passes, but at the time it was a selling point, I am sure helped people decide to buy. If the original DVC members no longer get the free passes, can they complain to Disney that it is what they purchased when buy DVC? I don't think so. Free passes are not in the contract.

I believe there is fine print somewhere stating that any DVC perk that Disney offers, can be taken away any time. It used to be you could use your DVC member card for discounts all over WDW, now you are lucky to find one store who allows a discount. Pool hopping is a perk, and Disney can close it down anytime.

A curious question though? Would someone really base their decision to purchase something for THOUSANDS of dollars all because they can use other resort pools? :confused:

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Disney1fan2002
If it is not in the contract, it was not purchased. Disney used to offer TONS of perks for DVC members. Ask the owners who purchased at the time the free passes were being handed out. I don't know if they still get the free passes, but at the time it was a selling point, I am sure helped people decide to buy. If the original DVC members no longer get the free passes, can they complain to Disney that it is what they purchased when buy DVC? I don't think so. Free passes are not in the contract.

I believe there is fine print somewhere stating that any DVC perk that Disney offers, can be taken away any time. It used to be you could use your DVC member card for discounts all over WDW, now you are lucky to find one store who allows a discount. Pool hopping is a perk, and Disney can close it down anytime.

A curious question though? Would someone really base their decision to purchase something for THOUSANDS of dollars all because they can use other resort pools? :confused:

I can answer on my end...definitely not!

Disney1fan2002
07-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Is it really that important for some of you to be able to swim in another resort pool while on vacation?

Personally I think ALL the pools in WDW resorts are great, EVEN the All Star pools. Also, for myself, I think I would feel "out of place" if I were not swimming at my own resort. But maybe that is just me.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 09:18 AM
I agree. It is too much work and not being to go back to your room isn't worth it IMO. I save the hassle of dragging my bathing suits and stuff around for a waterpark day. While the only thing we miss is the slide at the pop resort the kid is fine without one. The pop century has those fountains that pop up. DS is thrilled with that so it makes up for it and all the cool toys around. I really wished they made that theme a moderate I love it there! It is amaing now if it were a moderate it would be all the more great!

las3888
07-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Well, I guess I will weigh in with my 2 cents after reading this thread. We are a kid-less couple who really really really appreciate a quiet pool atmostphere type experience. We recently stayed at BWV and used the quiet pool everyday. Most days we did really well - very few kids if any were using the pool. It was downright serene. On the days when there were kids, even though they are just being kids, it really ruins the atmosphere. Kids voices have a way of just piercing through a pool area. It makes it really hard to concentrate when reading a book or dozing.

I hope you don't flame me for having said that, but really, there are people, actually, quite a few people, who do go to Disney without kids. The quiet pools are something that we treasure, and since Disney has no rules, when reading this post, it is obvious that those with kids feel very entitled to use the quiet pools, even though there are pools designed for kids yards away.

Personally, I have to say it is a little inconsiderate. Kids have the run of house just about everywhere at Disney, and we kid-less people have to deal with them everywhere else we go. A respite away from them would be ideal. I am not totally blaming you families, because unless it is something that Disney would institute and enforce, anything goes, but it sure would be nice and considerate if you could react to your situation. If you show up to a quiet pool (again, when the kids active pool is just yards away) and it truly is quiet - i.e. just a few adults either dozing or calmly treading in the water, please try not to bring your family with kids there. I can't say it in any other ways that it is just inconsiderate to the people who are already there. Again, this has nothing to do with your rights, but it's just a matter of common sense and consideration.

I know this opinion will not be highly regarded, but this has (obviously) bothered me for a while. While you may totally ignore me, just remember that everytime you bring your kids to a serene quiet pool atmosphere, everybody else who was there before you will be pretty frustrated with you.

Mickmse2002
07-29-2004, 10:09 AM
OK, now I gotta jump back in. Some of the behavior I have seen described isn't appropriate for ANY pool, be it a "kid" pool, "quiet" pool, or whatever other kind of descriptor you choose to use. I have seen a lot of boorish behavior from supposed adults so I think it should be kept in perpsective: it ain't just the kids. I have seen some self-righteous posting around here before but some of this is really starting to irk me. If I bring my three kids, ages 13, 11 and 8 to a pool and they splash around and god forbid actually enjoy themselves the we're not breaking ANY rules. Just because "kidless" people are laying around reading doesn't mean I should feel guilty for using a resort amenity I bought and paid for. I said it before and I will say it again: if you can't handle being around kids go somewhere else because WDW is the kid capital of the world. That's what Walt built Disneyland and WDW for: families to enjoy themselves! WDW markets to families and sells it self as a premier family experience. I certainly cannot recall reading ANYWHERE that my kids do not have the same right of usage as ANYONE else!

gmboy95
07-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Allow me to be the first to flame you.....why would you ever,ever,ever travel to disney if you find childrens voices piercing....is it not like going to a boxing match if you cant stand violence.....I have been reading this thread for a bit and have resisted responding until now.

It is inconcievable that disney would even consider an adult only pool area. The whole business model is tailored towards families...and i believe, with all due respect, that someone traveling to disney expecting a quiet retreat is barking up the wrong tree....c'mon people, kids make noise due to the simple incurable fact that they are KIDS!!!!!

I agree that if a person is using the pool after hours, they need to be considerate. That is not my issue here....what is bothering me is I sometimes read these subtle metions of "kids behaving badly" references, and this definitely irritates me....if you are looking for a vacation where you can sit poolside and read a book in a quiet atmosphere....might i suggest a trip to the islands.

Mickmse2002
07-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by gmboy95
Allow me to be the first to flame you.....why would you ever,ever,ever travel to disney if you find childrens voices piercing....is it not like going to a boxing match if you cant stand violence.....I have been reading this thread for a bit and have resisted responding until now.

Beat you to the flamethrower. :D

las3888
07-29-2004, 10:13 AM
why would you ever,ever,ever travel to disney if you find childrens voices piercing....

You obviously don't understand my point. All I ask is for those to be considerate. If you see a quiet pool nice and QUIET, please take your kids to the kid's pool. I don't think that's too much to ask.

All of your other points are not pertaining to the issue. I of course can take my vacations wherever I want. I of course know there are kids everywhere. I love Disney, and kids have nothing to do with it.

Sticking to my point - if you see a quiet pool nice and quiet and kidless, think twice!

And, PS - I never mentioned kids behaving badly.

Mickmse2002
07-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by las3888

You obviously don't understand my point. All I ask is for those to be considerate. If you see a quiet pool nice and QUIET, please take your kids to the kid's pool. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Sticking to my point - if you see a quiet pool nice and quiet and kidless, think twice!

I think we do understand your point. Just don't agree with it. What is your definition of "quiet"? I haven't seen anywhere on any sign at the pools that you must be quiet. It ain't a church....it's a pool. I will NOT think twice about using an amenity I am entitled to use in the manner it was intended.

las3888
07-29-2004, 10:22 AM
if you can't handle being around kids go somewhere else because WDW is the kid capital of the world. That's what Walt built Disneyland and WDW for: families to enjoy themselves! WDW markets to families and sells it self as a premier family experience. I certainly cannot recall reading ANYWHERE that my kids do not have the same right of usage as ANYONE else!

I guess it's easier to get defensive than just be considerate of those around you. I have also seen adults act boorishly and that bothers me as well.

There was probably a reason Disney started 'quiet' pools, probably somewhat along the lines of having a nice 'quiet' place for those without kids or wanting some 'quiet' to have a place to go. Unfortunately, probably too many families with kids complained, so Disney reacted and seems to now be calling them 'leisure' pools (although I have yet to see this). Obviously, they can't pull the trigger to actually call them 'adult only' and enforce that, because there are obviously many families with kids who would complain, but I'm just tellin' ya...there are people out here who still want to go to Disney, despite it being the kid capital of the world, and while we know we will be dealing with your kids all day long, it is nice to have a 'quiet' pool to get away from them. We particularly choose resorts with 'quiet' pools for this reason. We do not like to stay at AKL because there is only the one main pool.

All I'm saying is that you're really thinking too much of yourselves if you can't just go to the kid's pool, especially if it isn't crowded, when you see the adult pool nice and serene in front of you. Just because you see a nice quiet pool with a handful of quiet adults in front of you, and just because there are no rules against your using it, doesn't make it the considerate thing to do. If you have kids, I'm sure you'll disagree with this, but it's just common sense and consideration. For those of you that want to flame me - I write you off because you will never get it.

jarestel
07-29-2004, 10:24 AM
I understand your point completely, it's great to sit by a pool and quietly relax. I like that also. However ( there's always a however ), it's not very likely that children will ever be banned from having fun at WDW. And unfortunately, noise is often a by-product of children having fun in a pool area. There are reasons why some families prefer the smaller pools. For instance, it's easier to keep an eye on the kids, it's not as crowded as the main pools, kids aren't comfortable in the deeper pools, etc. Now I agree there is a large difference between children behaving in an appropriate, albeit noisy manner, and mis-behaving. I also realize many people do go to WDW without children, but let's face it, if they happen to encounter children at WDW, it shouldn't be that big of a surprise. As I said, I understand totally where you're coming from, but felt obliged to point out the obvious.

gmboy95
07-29-2004, 10:26 AM
I have to reply a second time because the post by las38 has me pretty fired up.....this was your quote...

"If you show up to a quiet pool (again, when the kids active pool is just yards away) and it truly is quiet - i.e. just a few adults either dozing or calmly treading in the water, please try not to bring your family with kids there. I can't say it in any other ways that it is just inconsiderate to the people who are already there. Again, this has nothing to do with your rights, but it's just a matter of common sense and consideration."

Huh!!!!......let me get this straight....you travel to the "kid capital" of the world, and you feel it is appropriate that the vast majority should tailor their experience to meet the need of the small few......I mean next time i am at a patriot game in foxboro i am going to demand that all fans remain seated during the game because the game is a much more pleasurable experience for me when I am seated.....oh and the next time I am at chuck-e-cheese i am going to ask the staff to monitor the voice level of the children, because i want to enjoy a quiet meal....your argument is flawed.

Also your reference to having to "deal with them" everywhere else you go is, with all due respect, laugh out loud funny....once again i repeat YOU ARE IN DISNEY WORLD!!!!......you ought to immediately call your DVC rep and complain about the sales job that was given to you, because your post makes me feel you may have not been told about the whole "family" thing.

las3888
07-29-2004, 10:32 AM
I haven't seen anywhere on any sign at the pools that you must be quiet.

I am looking at the map I received when I checked into BWV just 2 months ago. The pool I am speaking of is marked as point number 21 on the map. 21 is labelled as 'QUIET POOL'.

QUIET is defined as

the quality or state of being quiet : TRANQUILLITY

in Webster's dictionary.

I am not sure how else it needs to be explained. Obviously I can't do anything because it isn't enforced and now it is rumored that the name is changed to 'leisure'. All I can say is too bad for Disney for doing that, and again, explanation of quiet couldn't be more clear to me...

You can do what you want TECHNICALLY, but you will anger a number of the quiet folks there. We're all entitled to our opinions, and my opinion of that is plain and simple inconsiderate.

Mickmse2002
07-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Perhaps as well as handing out towels the resorts should hand out earplugs and blinders to ensure TRANQUILITY for everyone.

(I'm not sure we are working with the same perception of tolerance, consideration and politeness)

We are certainly all entitled to our own opinions and I am of the opinion that what we do is plain and simple considerate.

CRobin
07-29-2004, 12:30 PM
It is inconcievable that disney would even consider an adult only pool area.

But they obviously have altered that strategy with respect to DCL and Castaway Cay. There is an "adults only" beach, a "family" beach, and a "teens" beach, and many of the entertainment / pool areas on the ships are configured similarly.

Personally, I don't have a problem with kids in the quiet pools; I don't hang around the pool that much, and if I'm there and they make a racket that becomes intolerable, I leave.

Where I do have a problem is with the parents who ENCOURAGE their kids to race down the hallway screaming to see who can get to the door first with their key, or with the lady I encountered on our last trip who laughed while her son knocked on every door at BWV while walking toward the elevator. Really cute. Wish I had a camera for that Kodak moment.

Problem ain't with the kids, folks......

gmboy95
07-29-2004, 12:51 PM
I just feel like we need to recognize the crowd that this resort is trying to attract....I just dont like feeling like i need to walk on egg shells with my kids at any part of the resort

poohnpiglet3
07-29-2004, 12:53 PM
GMBoy, LAS388 was just stating a different viewpoint. No flames are necessary to get your point across.

Afterall, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they may be in another's eyes... just take your signature line about John kerry... see? You're wrong on that and I'm not flame throwing. :)

Las388 has a very valid point. When you go there after your kids are all grown I bet you'll complain about those d@mn loud kids just like an old man telling kids to get off his grass.

There really IS a point to be made about making certain areas adult-friendly, afterall, kids are WAY too spoiled these days and assume they have all the rights that adults do. Nope, just not so. Even courts have made rulings to that end.

The Disney Cruise has an adults-only restaurant and an adults-only spot at Castaway Cay. They obviously see the need for tranquility at times.

I guess my point is that flames aren't necessary if someone wants to bring up a dissenting opinion and does it respectfully, like Las388 did.

Just my opinion.

Sherri :)

Dean
07-29-2004, 01:26 PM
I am looking at the map I received when I checked into BWV just 2 months ago. The pool I am speaking of is marked as point number 21 on the map. 21 is labelled as 'QUIET POOL'.

QUIET is defined as

the quality or state of being quiet : TRANQUILLITY

in Webster's dictionary.

I am not sure how else it needs to be explained. Obviously I can't do anything because it isn't enforced and now it is rumored that the name is changed to 'leisure'. All I can say is too bad for Disney for doing that, and again, explanation of quiet couldn't be more clear to me...

You can do what you want TECHNICALLY, but you will anger a number of the quiet folks there. We're all entitled to our opinions, and my opinion of that is plain and simple inconsiderate. No flames however, I disagree with your expectations. WDW has used the term quiet pool at times and in spite of the dictionary meaning of the word quiet, they never intended or suggested this be an issue of noise or age. It is a reference to less activities and pool amenities. Actually Disney doesn't use the word nearly as much as we do though at times they have labeled maps with those terms. They could have just as easily used other terms like boring, sedate, regular, bland, etc. To think quiet pool at WDW means kids should not be there or should act differently than they should act at the other pools is unreasonable. To have an adult pool at BW might be workable if you ADDED another pool but that is likely the only resort you could even consider that approach workable.

Still, a certain level of control is expected from kids and parents at ANY pool. There are other places to sit and read that are likely be actually be quiet.

Dean
07-29-2004, 01:37 PM
3DisneyNUTS, I don't doubt your were told it's OK but it's not been an issue that the guides have consistently touted like buy anywhere and you'll have not problem at the 7 month window (HH, VB, SS) or that it's OK to exceed the occupancy limits. So I don't think it's been a common misrepresentation from the guides. But as noted, they are timeshares sales people, and if it's not in the contract it means nothing.

Disney1fan2002 as for DVC offering a ton of perks, I don't believe that's accurate. DVC offered ONE BIG PERK to early members at OKW and VB, which is no longer applicable. As for sheer options, DVC has a lot more now than they ever have.

Kelly Nelly
07-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Las 388 and Poohnpiglet3 you are both so right it is not funny.

Pooh you are correct, kids are way to spoiled these days, they demand every thing in front of there parents and the parents now a days think that this is just so cute. When I was a kid I felt I was so lucky to be in WDW that I never really expected anything more. 99% of the problems of loud kids at quiet pools stem from there parents allowing them to act in such behaviour.Like Las 388 stated, the theme pools are made for loud and rowdy groups, why do the people think that they and there kids should act at a quiet pool like they would at a theme pool. That line of " Hey if you don't like kids don't come to WDW", or " I paid for this service so me and my kids can act any way we want" is really getting old. Hey I really do not have a problem with kids but I really do feel that they and there parents should respect the quiet pool areas for the folks who want to relax.IF you want to make lots of noise and throw you footballs or frisbees go to the theme pool. I would like to hear the opinions of the folks who let there kids act in this behaviour 20 years from now.I would bet my life that they would totally agree with some of my points that I have just made.

Mickmse2002
07-29-2004, 01:52 PM

Pooh you are correct, kids are way to spoiled these days, they demand every thing in front of there parents and the parents now a days think that this is just so cute. When I was a kid I felt I was so lucky to be in WDW that I never really expected anything more. 99% of the problems of loud kids at quiet pools stem from there parents allowing them to act in such behaviour.Like Las 388 stated, the theme pools are made for loud and rowdy groups, why do the people think that they and there kids should act at a quiet pool like they would at a theme pool. That line of " Hey if you don't like kids don't come to WDW", or " I paid for this service so me and my kids can act any way we want" is really getting old. Hey I really do not have a problem with kids but I really do feel that they and there parents should respect the quiet pool areas for the folks who want to relax.IF you want to make lots of noise and throw you footballs or frisbees go to the theme pool. I would like to hear the opinions of the folks who let there kids act in this behaviour 20 years from now.I would bet my life that they would totally agree with some of my points that I have just made.

I agree with much, but not all of this. The only thing that has irked me about this entire thread is the sweeping generalization that all kids today are loud, rude and bad and therefore should be relegated to some other place. That simply is not the case. I certainly did not post that I would allow my kids to act any way they wanted because I paid to be there. The point I made was that I should feel very free to use any pool at the resort I am staying at. If anyone is disruptive, rude, vulgar, etc. they should be asked to stop or leave. I sometimes wonder if the whiners of today weren't spolied by their parents 20 years ago and now we are all paying the price of their very narrow-minded views.

wdwa1
07-29-2004, 02:06 PM

ITA!!!!!
When our kids were under 18, we almost always went to the main pools because they wanted to jump in the pool, use the slide, play Marco Polo etc. When we rarely did go to the "quiet" pool the kids were much more quiet and less active in consideration to the people that were attempting to nap, read, relax. Stupid us......we thought that was what "quiet" pool meant.

Harley-Mouse
07-29-2004, 02:22 PM
we stayed at our home BCV and at the main pool the bay thay asked for room keys and gave us a wristband to ware. i was fine with this also AKL and BCV are two pools you are not aloud to use. well i love the pool at BCV :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :hyper:

jarestel
07-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Unfortunately for the pool napping and library crowd, everyone's idea of vacation fun isn't sitting around and reading books or dozing at the pool. It's all well and good to talk about respecting the "silence is golden" rule, but it's also a good thing to respect that people who want to engage in non-literary pursuits should also have that right at the small pools. A great place for quiet reading is on balconies that don't overlook pools.

tjkraz
07-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Five hundred-odd families staying at the Boardwalk at any given time, and suddenly we're using one admittedly-rowdy group as window into society's ills. For what it's worth, we recently stayed three nights at the Boardwalk, in a room overlooking the Quiet Pool, and didn't have any unruly groups outside our window. Guess it was "good parents and empty nesters only" week.

As a parent, it's hard for me to get too riled-up about the comments here because a) my children don't act like that, b) if they did, you certainly wouldn't see me laughing about it, and c) we've NEVER been to a Quiet Pool, Leisure Pool, Boring Pool, or whatever you want to call it.

The only constant I'm seeing in this entire debate is that Disney has shown NO interest in enforcing either the perceived "quiet" nature of the pool or even something as simple as the operating hours. If you want to change that fact, contact Disney and DVC. As I've already said elsewhere in this thread, if they want to designate a pool as "Adults Only", I have absolutely no problem with that. (Unless, of course, you get a group of adults who choose to ACT like children--and don't try to tell me that's any less likely than some of the other things we've read in this thread ;))

When we need to start defining "quiet" and providing our own interpretations of what is and is not "considerate", IMO the complaints are venturing in to the world of Pet Peeves. I'm not crazy about the neighbor that mows his lawn at 8am on Saturday or people that refuse to use the turn signals in their cars, but posting on an Internet message board isn't going to get me far.

Mickmse2002
07-29-2004, 03:05 PM
:cool: Well said

wdwa1
07-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by tjkraz
......................When we need to start defining "quiet" and providing our own interpretations of what is and is not "considerate", IMO the complaints are venturing in to the world of Pet Peeves. I'm not crazy about the neighbor that mows his lawn at 8am on Saturday or people that refuse to use the turn signals in their cars, but posting on an Internet message board isn't going to get me far.
Posting most of the questions/threads that are on an internet message board won't get you very far! Think about how many times you have read: What are my chances of getting a villa in Dec, or of being able to buy sold out resorts directly through DVC, etc., etc. IMO, the way to get far with those questions is to call DVC and speak to a CM, not ask on an internet message board. But these types of threads are posted everyday.
Everyone is merely discussing their varying opinions regarding the quiet pools at WDW. Just like they discuss many other issues.
No one is trying to solve the world's problems....it is just simple meaningless discussion just like what happens everyday on internet message boards.

PJMPA
07-29-2004, 04:57 PM
I don't post much and admittedly haven't read all the threads on this topic but because it is something I just complained about to OKW management, I'll add my thoughts. I hope i'm not off topic. Throughout our last several trips to OKW, the level of annoying behavior at the Turtle Pond Pool has become unbearable. To some extent, it's not started by kids but rather, the adults. Balls are thrown across the pool from one end to another between 3 or 4 people who seem oblivious to the fact that the ball is landing on or near other guests. I've had balls hit me while seated on a lounge on the pool deck. Many times, things roll under your lounge and you're almost expected to retrieve it. Then you have the parents who like to launch their kids in the water without consideration to the splashing and screaming it creates. Does anybody else find the Marco Polo game to be highly annoying when those works are screamed over and over. I honestly believe in kids having a good time but think things are out of hand, especially at a "quiet pool"..

Desperado
07-29-2004, 05:13 PM
If it's limited to owners at that resort it's certainly workable. The Marriott's on HH do it as does Ocean Pointe in West Palm and the ones in Orlando. However I'm not saying they should or will do it, only that they could if they wanted.
Repeating the same statement doesn't make it any less absurd. There's no way the Vero Pool could handle much additional capacity on some of the prime days. It is clearly not workable IMO. (by the way, how many pools to the Marriott's on HH have? Doesn't the Grande Ocean have 3?) Regardless of what the Marriott's on HH do, as I said, I completely dissagree.

jarestel
07-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Without lifeguards around to blow whistles and tell people who are being a nuisance to cut it out, there's not much one can do. Most members probably don't want to cough up the increased dues to pay a dedicated small pool monitor, so that leaves the option of sticking it out and hoping for the best, or leaving the pool and returning at a ( hopefully ) quieter time.

By the way, did you see Doc's pictures of the Turtle Pond and Southpoint pools on another thread? They're great! And definitely look pretty quiet in those pictures!

las3888
07-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for those who agree with me - I was starting to feel like I was the only one who had expectations of 'relative' quiet when I went to the quiet pool.

Look, somebody said it best who didn't side with me on this one - Disney is for everyone. That being said, while Disney could be called the kids-capital-of-the-world as a previous poster mentioned, it could also be said it is the honeymoon-capital-of-the-world. Believe it or not, people go to Disney for romance. There are several books out there written for Disney without kids (WDW for Couples, WDW for Adults etc.). The attitude that if I don't want to be around kids then don't come is really just plain old inappropriate. I enjoy kids and have a fun time in the parks - sometimes watching other people's kids that I don't even know doing Disney things just adds to the Disney Magic. Disney is alot of different things to alot of different people. It might mean nice dining, relaxing spa visits, and leisure evenings in the parks to some, while it might mean watching your kid experience the Disney characters for the first time at a Character breakfast and having a great time riding down the slides at the pool. It's not just about YOUR KIDS having it all.

Disney called these pools 'quiet pools' (and still does as far as I'm concerned, at least they did 2 months ago) for I would thing a reason. There are a ton of people on their honeymoon, anniversary, or just a romantic getaway. They are actually trying to cater somewhat to these people AS WELL as families (getting back to the theme that Disney is for everyone). I don't know that there is much room for argument here when I think that if DH and I want to take a dip in a pool labelled the 'quiet pool' printed on Disney documentation, handed to me by the CM who checked us in - don't think it is unreasonable to think we might experience 'relative quiet'. Of course I am not expecting a morgue, but if your kids or adults as well can't be relatively quiet, I think it's inappropriate for them to be there.

Disney built these big attraction pools with your kids in mind. They are trying to cater to you and your family - trying to give them a great vacation experience. Do you think that maybe - just maybe - they designed the quiet pool situation for those who might be looking for a more relaxing scene - a quiet dip - a snippet of romance?

The attitude that I should be allowed to take my kids to any darn pool I want to just because I paid for it doesn't float with me. I also don't agree that these are just 'smaller' pools and they are called 'quiet' because they don't have all the bells and whistles. I paid for my vacation too and if the pool is labelled 'quiet', what on earth do you think people are going to expect???

Now if Disney doesn't enforce this nor the pool hours, then I would throw flames to Disney. I think they should, otherwise, than why bother to post pool hours or call a pool a 'quiet pool'. Unfortunately, I think the bottom line is actually the bottom line. Disney doesn't want to rock the boat too much in hopes that we all come back.

DIZNYFAN
07-29-2004, 05:21 PM
I have to ask why does this seem to be such a big deal with some people? I honestly could care less who is using the pool at my resort or any resort I am staying at. Mind you we usually travel in Dec and crowds tend to be quite light at that time.

So what I gather from the discussion is that a few members on this thread are totally against others using our pools. Also I forgot to mention that Dixie/POR and POFQ are considered one resort now also and can share pools. I would believe this could be part of the confusion with guests thinking that all pools on property are fair game for them to use. I still can't see this as much of an issue mind you because it is after all only a pool.

jarestel
07-29-2004, 05:33 PM
I also don't agree that these are just 'smaller' pools and they are called 'quiet' because they don't have all the bells and whistles. I paid for my vacation too and if the pool is labelled 'quiet', what on earth do you think people are going to expect???

las3888, I was one of those that sympathized with you, but essentially disagreed with your interpretation of what Disney wants. If they wanted these pools to be "quiet", they could easily accomplish this by informing everyone who checks in that this is the case. Since they don't do this, I can only presume that your take on what Disney wants regarding the quiet pools is inaccurate.

As I said before, I understand your point. It is very nice to sit in a quiet, uncrowded area at WDW and relax. This just isn't possible 24/7. When it gets too unbearable, we just leave the pool area and return later.

vernon
07-29-2004, 05:54 PM
Disney01fan2002 said
Ask the owners who purchased at the time the free passes were being handed out. I don't know if they still get the free passes, but at the time it was a selling point, I am sure helped people decide to buy. If the original DVC members no longer get the free passes, can they complain to Disney that it is what they purchased when buy DVC? I don't think so. Free passes are not in the contract. Actually the free pass offer was in the contract. Free passes up to Y 2000 were what was offered and Disney fully honoured their written offer. Had they not honoured it they would have been sued from here to kingdom come as it was indeed a key point to buying into DVC at that time. It was very explicit that this particular benefit only ran until Dec 2000 not beyond. Just to clear up your misunderstanding.

JessetheCowgirl
07-29-2004, 06:14 PM
I guess I never knew that people really do pool hop so much.

With my crew--DS5, DS2, DD2months and DH and I--it takes alot of work to get everyone dressed, suncreened, supplies packed etc to head down to the resort pool.

And I guess because my children are do young, they only swim contentedly for an hour and a half or so. And the resort pools don't have a place to change clothes, do they? So you have to travel back to your hotel in swimsuits? No thanks :)

That would be way too much work for me!

But, to each his own. I never really notice who "belongs" and who doesn't when we're at the pool--I'm too busy keeping tabs on my own family :)

:wave: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :wave:

crisi
07-29-2004, 06:38 PM
If what you want is sun and an lounge chair in a quiet setting (and I'm not digging at anyone here, its just I happen to know a good spot), try the beach at WL or BC. The BC is not a bad walk from BW. Since kids can't swim in the lake, these spots are usually quite quiet - and not too far from the pool bar either. ;)

DIZNYFAN
07-29-2004, 06:46 PM
Actually Jessethecowgirl there are changerooms at the pools to make it easier for families to get the kids changed after a swim.

JessetheCowgirl
07-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Actually Jessethecowgirl there are changerooms at the pools to make it easier for families to get the kids changed after a swim.

Really? Now how have I missed that????

I had no idea--We've always gone to the pool wearing swimsuits/coverups/sandals, then back to the room to change.

Maybe when my kids are older and will happily swim longer we will do a Tour-de-Pools.

Of course, by then the pool hopping privelege will probably be a thing of the past . . .

DrTomorrow
07-29-2004, 07:10 PM
First, as a guy who travels to WDW childless (but can't wait for some grandkids!), please don't assume that all of us kidless visitors need an silent / adults-only pool. I like to read and relax by the pool, but the sound of children having fun restores my spirit, not depletes it.

Second, I don't believe anyone suggested "The attitude that if I don't want to be around kids then don't come ...." But I do believe that if someone DOES come to WDW, be it alone, with small children or adults only, then they really shouldn't have an expectation of child-free areas. Besides, how many honeymooners are reading books by the pool? ::GRIN::

Finally, during the Member Homecoming (cue heavenly choirs), we took a tour of SSR, our home resort. As we got the the pool between Bldgs 2 & 3, our tour guide, who was a DVC Sales Manager (and former Guide) told us this:
"Here is the leisure pool. We used to call them 'quiet' pools, but we don't anymore; a few people got the wrong idea and thought a Disney pool could be quiet."
So I guess that Disney is now managing expectations a bit better.

Hmmmm, I wonder if there's any way to combine the "quiet pool" thread with the "pool-hopping" thread and have them both implode....

DIZNYFAN
07-29-2004, 07:14 PM
I think the nicest change rooms so far have been at OKW. We have 3 kids to cart around with us our oldest is 7 the youngest is 1.5 we just pack a bag and go to the pool.

wintergreen
07-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Since OKW's main pool will be closed for refurbishment this fall, it appears that some posters believe that no families with children should check in until it is finished and reopened. Please take note.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:17 PM
You are totally right, Disney should enforce the odd pool here and there to adults only. I disagree. This is Disney which was planned for families. While obnoxiousness shouldn't be tolerated there should not be adult only pools. There are non disney resorts that cater to that.

JessetheCowgirl
07-29-2004, 08:20 PM
I think on our last trip in June 2004 that the VWL pool was still labeled "quiet pool". Have all of the signs now changed to "leisure pool?"

And, I did think that meant no noisy children (the noisiest of whom may very well be mine on occasion--not rude, not dumping food into pool, but yes, noisy!!!!!)

So we have never ventured into the "quiet" pools. :wave: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :wave:

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:22 PM
You know now that I think about it a little more kids at a quiet pool really does not bother me as long as they are quiet, I just wish that Disney could enforce the rule that all quiet pools should stay quiet. All of you must admit with me here that it is kinda of annoying when you are sitting in a quiet pool hot tub and a bunch of kids cannonball in while you are just trying to relax.
No actually I don't find it annoying at all even when we went prechild. I expect children to have fun and be kids at Disney. It is part of the experience for me. I never expect quiet anywhere in Disney. Hearing children have fun is not an annoyance to me, otherwise I would have never purchased DVC. Disney is for families and kids are part of it, it is themed towards them. Families enjoying time together.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:26 PM
I am sure your kids are not rude, just being kids. I'm not even saying that all 'quiet' pools have to be quiet, just that at resorts where it is possible (ie where there is more that one quiet pool), at least one pool be a quiet 'quiet' pool.

The fact they hand out noodles at the villa side quiet pool is why we walk across the lobby and use the Inn side quiet pool.

When I vacation, I like to relax, and I don't necessarily want to be around children 24/7.

Andrew

I completely disagree with this. Why pick Disney then? Why not club med? I mean Disney if for children and families. You cannot come to WDW expect and it to have themed areas for adults.

Desperado
07-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by lenshanem
This sounds like a very reasonable approach. Of course, inconsiderate people have to abuse the late night hours and be noisy. Seems to me one can have tons of fun and still be considerate toward others. Too many people are all about "me".

Happy Birthday Cat
07-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Which "quiet" pools are not appropriate for children?

I'm only familiar with the BWV, BCV and VWL and I can't think of one that could be designated as adult only at those resorts (Maybe the "quiet" pool at the BWI). The BWV pool is right next to the super kid oriented Community Hall at which they give out pool toys for the pool. The BCV and VWL have one designated pool each, although they share the main themed pool with the YC/BC and WL respectively. I thought the OKW pools were kind of like neighborhood pools, but not having ever stayed there, I may be incorrect. It just doesn't seem like any could be or should be so designated. The quiet pools are alternatives that are available for everyone.

I would suggest (like they say in the pre-show of "Honey-I Shrunk the Audiance) that more people take a look at the world though the eyes of a child. You would probably have a lot less to worry about.

HBC

Desperado
07-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 3DisneyNUTS
I completely disagree with this. Why pick Disney then? Why not club med? I mean Disney if for children and families. You cannot come to WDW expect and it to have themed areas for adults.
This doesn't make sense, when coming to Disney and being kid focused, why would noisy people late at night be allowed to wake up all the children and prevent them from sleeping. Does being kid focused also mean a license to be inconsiderate to others? There are parents who do not provide enough guidance to thier children, unfortunately.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Well, I guess I will weigh in with my 2 cents after reading this thread. We are a kid-less couple who really really really appreciate a quiet pool atmostphere type experience. We recently stayed at BWV and used the quiet pool everyday. Most days we did really well - very few kids if any were using the pool. It was downright serene. On the days when there were kids, even though they are just being kids, it really ruins the atmosphere. Kids voices have a way of just piercing through a pool area. It makes it really hard to concentrate when reading a book or dozing.

I hope you don't flame me for having said that, but really, there are people, actually, quite a few people, who do go to Disney without kids. The quiet pools are something that we treasure, and since Disney has no rules, when reading this post, it is obvious that those with kids feel very entitled to use the quiet pools, even though there are pools designed for kids yards away.

Personally, I have to say it is a little inconsiderate. Kids have the run of house just about everywhere at Disney, and we kid-less people have to deal with them everywhere else we go. A respite away from them would be ideal. I am not totally blaming you families, because unless it is something that Disney would institute and enforce, anything goes, but it sure would be nice and considerate if you could react to your situation. If you show up to a quiet pool (again, when the kids active pool is just yards away) and it truly is quiet - i.e. just a few adults either dozing or calmly treading in the water, please try not to bring your family with kids there. I can't say it in any other ways that it is just inconsiderate to the people who are already there. Again, this has nothing to do with your rights, but it's just a matter of common sense and consideration.

I know this opinion will not be highly regarded, but this has (obviously) bothered me for a while. While you may totally ignore me, just remember that everytime you bring your kids to a serene quiet pool atmosphere, everybody else who was there before you will be pretty frustrated with you.
WOW I just don't see how people can expect no kids in WDW? Then be upset when children ruin their atmosphere. It is Disney. It is what you sign up for. Dh and I came to WDW 3 times prior to getting pregnant and having our son. We were a "never having kids couple" but that did not mean we disliked children. Had we not wanted to be around them we definitely would not have picked Disney to have a relaxing vacation at. WDW is for families and kids and that means the pools are for families and kids. People should not tell their kids to quiet down because someone wants to snooze by the pool. IMO Disney is not the place for that kind of vacation. If it ever becomes that I would be the first to sell my DVC since that is not what we signed up for.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Mickmse2002
OK, now I gotta jump back in. Some of the behavior I have seen described isn't appropriate for ANY pool, be it a "kid" pool, "quiet" pool, or whatever other kind of descriptor you choose to use. I have seen a lot of boorish behavior from supposed adults so I think it should be kept in perpsective: it ain't just the kids. I have seen some self-righteous posting around here before but some of this is really starting to irk me. If I bring my three kids, ages 13, 11 and 8 to a pool and they splash around and god forbid actually enjoy themselves the we're not breaking ANY rules. Just because "kidless" people are laying around reading doesn't mean I should feel guilty for using a resort amenity I bought and paid for. I said it before and I will say it again: if you can't handle being around kids go somewhere else because WDW is the kid capital of the world. That's what Walt built Disneyland and WDW for: families to enjoy themselves! WDW markets to families and sells it self as a premier family experience. I certainly cannot recall reading ANYWHERE that my kids do not have the same right of usage as ANYONE else!
AMEN! well said!!! I should have read ahead!

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:38 PM
why would you ever,ever,ever travel to disney if you find childrens voices piercing....

All of your other points are not pertaining to the issue. I of course can take my vacations wherever I want. I of course know there are kids everywhere. I love Disney, and kids have nothing to do with it.

And, PS - I never mentioned kids behaving badly.

Ok this must be a joke...Are you kidding? The family capital of the world and you have the nerve to tell people to use another pool because you are relaxing and would like the pool to stay quiet? Well I have an idea get up when it is 1am when all the piecing voices are sleeping and use the pool then. Bring a book light with you and you should be all set. :rolleyes:

Desperado
07-29-2004, 08:39 PM
I don't see a problem with an active noisy kid pool and a quiet pool concept. Loud noisy kids can use the more active pool. What's the problem? I don't know about the planet some people come from, but when you have active kids and provide them with lots of attention and love, sometimes it helps to get away for a little while and help recharge the batteries. Not every place has to be noisy, kid mania frenzy all the time. Some quiet time (hour or so here and there) can help one be a better parent in my humble opinion. My wife and I try to help each other out this way. Doesn't mean everyone else has to do the same, but for us it works. I know it's helpful for her to get a break while I watch the kids, and a vacation is a great time to make those gestures IMO.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:40 PM
I guess it's easier to get defensive than just be considerate of those around you. I have also seen adults act boorishly and that bothers me as well.

There was probably a reason Disney started 'quiet' pools, probably somewhat along the lines of having a nice 'quiet' place for those without kids or wanting some 'quiet' to have a place to go. Unfortunately, probably too many families with kids complained, so Disney reacted and seems to now be calling them 'leisure' pools (although I have yet to see this). Obviously, they can't pull the trigger to actually call them 'adult only' and enforce that, because there are obviously many families with kids who would complain, but I'm just tellin' ya...there are people out here who still want to go to Disney, despite it being the kid capital of the world, and while we know we will be dealing with your kids all day long, it is nice to have a 'quiet' pool to get away from them. We particularly choose resorts with 'quiet' pools for this reason. We do not like to stay at AKL because there is only the one main pool.

All I'm saying is that you're really thinking too much of yourselves if you can't just go to the kid's pool, especially if it isn't crowded, when you see the adult pool nice and serene in front of you. Just because you see a nice quiet pool with a handful of quiet adults in front of you, and just because there are no rules against your using it, doesn't make it the considerate thing to do. If you have kids, I'm sure you'll disagree with this, but it's just common sense and consideration. For those of you that want to flame me - I write you off because you will never get it.
HOLY COW! UNBELIEVEABLE! AMAZING SIMPLY A-MAZ-ING WOW

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:43 PM
I have to reply a second time because the post by las38 has me pretty fired up.....this was your quote...

"If you show up to a quiet pool (again, when the kids active pool is just yards away) and it truly is quiet - i.e. just a few adults either dozing or calmly treading in the water, please try not to bring your family with kids there. I can't say it in any other ways that it is just inconsiderate to the people who are already there. Again, this has nothing to do with your rights, but it's just a matter of common sense and consideration."

Huh!!!!......let me get this straight....you travel to the "kid capital" of the world, and you feel it is appropriate that the vast majority should tailor their experience to meet the need of the small few......I mean next time i am at a patriot game in foxboro i am going to demand that all fans remain seated during the game because the game is a much more pleasurable experience for me when I am seated.....oh and the next time I am at chuck-e-cheese i am going to ask the staff to monitor the voice level of the children, because i want to enjoy a quiet meal....your argument is flawed.

Also your reference to having to "deal with them" everywhere else you go is, with all due respect, laugh out loud funny....once again i repeat YOU ARE IN DISNEY WORLD!!!!......you ought to immediately call your DVC rep and complain about the sales job that was given to you, because your post makes me feel you may have not been told about the whole "family" thing.
I totally agree! or better yet you can always trade your DVC accomodations to go to an adult haven somewhere else. It is pretty inexpensive to trade into II so there you could get your relaxation by the pool.
I would seriously contact your guide because you have definitely purchased a timeshare in the wrong "world"

Desperado
07-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Ok this must be a joke...Are you kidding? The family capital of the world and you have the nerve to tell people to use another pool because you are relaxing and would like the pool to stay quiet? Well I have an idea get up when it is 1am when all the piecing voices are sleeping and use the pool then. Bring a book light with you and you should be all set. :rolleyes:
Actually "you have the nerve" could also apply to this post. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me, it is called a quiet pool. Not every square inch of WDW has to be a noisy, kid mania frenzy all the time, use the other pools. There's plenty of very active pools with lots of kid activities. There's nothing wrong with having some quiet time and quiet places, as long as there are welcome open places for kids. I think its good for kids to have some more quiet places to go to, they don't have to scream and yell everyplace they go to.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:47 PM

Show this to your parents and ask how you were as a child they will say the exact thing. It is called a generation gap. Kids are no better or worse than in the past. Maybe kids of the past were better at faking it who knows but selective memory has alot to do with this.

Desperado
07-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Sorry gmboy95 and 3DisneyNUTS but as a parent of three very young and very active chiuldren, I don't think that just because WDW is the kid capital of the world, that is an automatic license to be inconsiderate to others. Frankly, its just the opposite, and about teaching children good values and principles in being considerate toward others.

But, I won't debate the point much further. I've had some wonderful times in the pools very late at night with my children, even though I asked them to keep the noise low because others were sleeping. I don't think being considerate to others who were sleeping in thier rooms hindered our enjoyment of those special late night (1am) moments one little bit. It wouldn't have been so special and memorable if we were loud and disturbing others.

Muushka
07-29-2004, 08:54 PM
OK, I did my homework. I read the ENTIRE thread. :earseek:

We are a childless couple. This does not mean that we do not like children-we go to WDW for pity sake! We both like children. In fact, I love children. But I have to say: if we are at a 'leisure' pool, and it is very serene and peaceful, and sudddenly a family comes in with screaming children, splashing and running, we will leave. I will not tell you that your children should be quiet. I will not tell you to go use the 'family' pool. We will just leave (quietly).

Carry on.......:wave:

JimC
07-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Disney1fan2002
...Personally I think ALL the pools in WDW resorts are great, EVEN the All Star pools. Also, for myself, I think I would feel "out of place" if I were not swimming at my own resort. But maybe that is just me.

Agree. We enjoy all of the resorts and the pools at that resort where we stay.

Desperado
07-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Show this to your parents and ask how you were as a child they will say the exact thing. It is called a generation gap. Kids are no better or worse than in the past. Maybe kids of the past were better at faking it who knows but selective memory has alot to do with this.
Baloney. This "folksy" notion is not consistent with sociology studies and the thinking among todays child psychologists. Kids are exposed to an entirely different type of stimuli through todays cable television programing, and many other factors. This notion is just false.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 08:57 PM
This doesn't make sense, when coming to Disney and being kid focused, why would noisy people late at night be allowed to wake up all the children and prevent them from sleeping. Does being kid focused also mean a license to be inconsiderate to others? There are parents who do not provide enough guidance to thier children, unfortunately.
Of course I did not mean loud people at all hours of the night that could be anyone adults or children. But to expect the pools to be for adults only or if you see an adult lounging by the pool you should shlep to another pool for "consideration" of the lounger. That is a riduculo0us consideration.

obnoxiousness should not be tolerated day or night but to expect children/families having fun to pick another pool for fear of annoying a person reading is crazy IMO.

Desperado
07-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Muushka
OK, I did my homework. I read the ENTIRE thread. :earseek:

We are a childless couple. This does not mean that we do not like children-we go to WDW for pity sake! We both like children. In fact, I love children. But I have to say: if we are at a 'leisure' pool, and it is very serene and peaceful, and sudddenly a family comes in with screaming children, splashing and running, we will leave. I will not tell you that your children should be quiet. I will not tell you to go use the 'family' pool. We will just leave (quietly).

Carry on.......:wave:
If it were only an option to go try to teach / communicate / inspire / shake some sense into the parents....... sigh........... :sad2:

Desperado
07-29-2004, 09:00 PM
....obnoxiousness should not be tolerated day or night....
Well, at least we agree on this.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 09:01 PM
I don't see a problem with an active noisy kid pool and a quiet pool concept. Loud noisy kids can use the more active pool. What's the problem? I don't know about the planet some people come from, but when you have active kids and provide them with lots of attention and love, sometimes it helps to get away for a little while and help recharge the batteries. Not every place has to be noisy, kid mania frenzy all the time. Some quiet time (hour or so here and there) can help one be a better parent in my humble opinion. My wife and I try to help each other out this way. Doesn't mean everyone else has to do the same, but for us it works. I know it's helpful for her to get a break while I watch the kids, and a vacation is a great time to make those gestures IMO.

Where does frenzy and mania come in? Children don't act manic and frenzied...at least my kid doesn't. Why the assumtion that kids cannot swim and have fun without being wildchilds?

Desperado
07-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by JessetheCowgirl
Really? Now how have I missed that????

I had no idea--We've always gone to the pool wearing swimsuits/coverups/sandals, then back to the room to change.

Maybe when my kids are older and will happily swim longer we will do a Tour-de-Pools.

Of course, by then the pool hopping privelege will probably be a thing of the past . . .
The changing rooms also help if you arrive early before check in and want to swim.

Sammie
07-29-2004, 09:02 PM

Actually my father practiced the rule of "Kids Should be Seen not Heard." We were not loud, we did not whine and we definitely understood the word, quiet.

And Yes we were still able to have fun and have fun at Disney World.

Muushka
07-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Where does frenzy and mania come in? Children don't act manic and frenzied...at least my kid doesn't. Why the assumtion that kids cannot swim and have fun without being wildchilds?

I agree. There are plenty of great kids out there. I have even swam with them in the 'leisure' pool. I love the sound of children just talking at a normal tone and quietly playing. I would say that when we join a 'leisure' pool that is peaceful, it may have a few kiddos in it. It is when the loud, splashing adults and not caring, running and screaming ones that come in that make me up and leave.

3DisneyNUTS
07-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Sorry gmboy95 and 3DisneyNUTS but as a parent of three very young and very active chiuldren, I don't think that just because WDW is the kid capital of the world, that is an automatic license to be inconsiderate to others. Frankly, its just the opposite, and about teaching children good values and principles in being considerate toward others.

But, I won't debate the point much further. I've had some wonderful times in the pools very late at night with my children, even though I asked them to keep the noise low because others were sleeping. I don't think being considerate to others who were sleeping in thier rooms hindered our enjoyment of those special late night (1am) moments one little bit. It wouldn't have been so special and memorable if we were loud and disturbing others.
Why do kids = inconsiderate? Not all children or failies have kids that act like maniacs in a pool.

Desperado
07-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Why the assumtion that kids cannot swim and have fun without being wildchilds?

I'm not assuming such. Mine can. Perhaps yours can. Some parents provide no guidance. I'm not saying your in that no guidance group. If you haven't been exposed to the group of inconsiderate parents who provide little to no guidance, I believe you to be very lucky. We've been exposed to safety risks by parents who provide little to no guidance to thier children, and had to step in.
Why do kids = inconsiderate? Not all children or failies have kids that act like maniacs in a pool.
Agreed. That and the statement prior really has nothing to do with the views posted. It misses the points entirely.

My children won't be keeping you awake late at night by being noisy in the pool, we'll enjoy our time together being considerate of others, regardless of who thinks it's appropriate or not.

Happy Birthday Cat
07-29-2004, 09:23 PM
I don't think anyone favors kids and/or adults running around going nuts and ruining everyone else's quiet time. I expect my kids to act differently at the quiet pool than they do at the resort's main pool. I think they do but I'm sure after reading a couple of these posts that they act in ways that some people would object to for a quiet pool (just by being there).

The real discussion IMHO is about the belief by some that quiet pools are for adults only. If my family is on our way to the quiet pool and we see only adults there on a lounge chair reading a book that we should "think twice" about staying and using the area is unthinkable to me. It reminds me of high school when the "cool" kids would tell others to think twice about sitting at certain tables in the cafeteria.

I don't have a problem with the quiet pool being more quiet, more subdued, more laid back and more controled than the main pool. I do have a problem with those who believe that children should not use the "quiet" pool under any circumstance.

HBC

Happy Birthday Cat
07-29-2004, 09:25 PM
My children won't be keeping you awake late at night by being noisy in the pool, we'll enjoy our time together being considerate of others, regardless of who thinks it's appropriate or not.

Agree completely. Well said.

HBC

PJMPA
07-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Since my earlier post on this topic, I had a chance to read all the threads, the majority of which point to the kids as the source of the problem. My point was that many times it's the adults who are at fault. Example: Dad flings the ball to his 15 year old son on the other side of the pool who gets the idea it's ok to smoke it in to his 17 year old brother. Ball gets loose, skims the water and bounces out of the pool and hits someone on a lounge(me). Big brother then screams at the top of his lungs what a lousy arm little brother has while Dad yells to lounge sitter(me) "hey sorry I almost knocked your eye out". All the while, little sister is screaming Marco Polo over and over again at the top of her lungs while Mom sits there and watches. I don't blame the kids entirely. I have 14 year old twin girls who you wouldn't exactly describe as quiet and even they look at us in amazement how rude people have gotten at the pool. It's like a big free-for-all. I'd be happy to pay a couple more dollars in dues to have somebody monitor pool behavior.

Desperado
07-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Happy Birthday Cat
.... It reminds me of high school when the "cool" kids would tell others to think twice about sitting at certain tables in the cafeteria.

Sorry you weren't able to sit at the cool kids table.:smooth:

I don't have a problem with the quiet pool being more quiet, more subdued, more laid back and more controled than the main pool. I do have a problem with those who believe that children should not use the "quiet" pool under any circumstance.
On this we agree.

Desperado
07-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by PJMPA
Since my earlier post on this topic, I had a chance to read all the threads, the majority of which point to the kids as the source of the problem. My point was that many times it's the adults who are at fault. Example: Dad flings the ball to his 15 year old son on the other side of the pool who gets the idea it's ok to smoke it in to his 17 year old brother. Ball gets loose, skims the water and bounces out of the pool and hits someone on a lounge(me). Big brother then screams at the top of his lungs what a lousy arm little brother has while Dad yells to lounge sitter(me) "hey sorry I almost knocked your eye out". All the while, little sister is screaming Marco Polo over and over again at the top of her lungs while Mom sits there and watches. I don't blame the kids entirely. I have 14 year old twin girls who you wouldn't exactly describe as quiet and even they look at us in amazement how rude people have gotten at the pool. It's like a big free-for-all. I'd be happy to pay a couple more dollars in dues to have somebody monitor pool behavior.
Great points. It's the rude adults failing to provide appropriate guidance to thier children. Personally, I'm in favor of reviving the public stockade for such conduct. It is truley amazing. These poor children subjected to these "absent" parents is really quite sad.

wdwa1
07-29-2004, 10:03 PM
I totally agree and when our children were young; we used both the main pool and the quiet pools, in the same way it appears your family does.
But I do not see where anyone has said or suggested that children should not use quiet pools under any circumstances, :confused:
What some people did suggest is separate quiet pool for adults only at WDW resorts. Several have expressed opinions that this would never happen at WDW because it is for families etc. However, very valid and true posts were made pointing out how DCL has many adult only areas. But no one has said WDW quiet pools should be exclusively for adults.

Dean
07-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Repeating the same statement doesn't make it any less absurd. There's no way the Vero Pool could handle much additional capacity on some of the prime days. It is clearly not workable IMO. (by the way, how many pools to the Marriott's on HH have? Doesn't the Grande Ocean have 3?) Regardless of what the Marriott's on HH do, as I said, I completely dissagree. Marriott's vary. Grande Ocean has 3 for more than 3 times the units. Like DVC PH, it's on a space available basis so no real risk if policed correclty. Vero could handle plenty just like the WDW pools if they would police crashers.

TDC Nala
07-29-2004, 10:45 PM
I guess the next value resort built should be themed like hell, because it seems as though some feel that's where those guests belong. Eternal flames? Shrieks of the damned? The possibilities are endless.

Use Dante's Inferno as a model and have sections for each of the circles of hell? Lucifer's Food Court and Torture Chamber would probably operate like that Far Side cartoon that had the devil facing some denizens of hell holding a pizza and saying something like "Who ordered this? It's going straight back"

Asking to see ID's to get on to the resort monorail, and all buses to/from resorts would make it much harder for day trippers to use the resort pools. I don't know why Disney stopped doing this, but it should start again. I think this would eliminate about 90% of the problem.

It would also make it more difficult for guests to access the resort restaurants... and Disney WANTS them visiting the restaurants.

lenshanem
07-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Sorry I didn't read all these pages, but last week at SAB we were never once asked to show our room key!!! :mad:

kkmauch
07-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Just wanted to throw in my two cents here...haven't read all the posts yet so firgive me if I repeat someone else...
We haven't pool hopped yet, but we are planning to in December. You see, we are staying at OKW to see if we want to buy additional points there thru resale. So, while we may be able to check out the OKW pool when we are there, we are planning also to go back to our "home" at SSR and use "our" pool at least once. We loved it in May and can't wait to get back. I would hate to not be able to use our home pool when we are in WDW.

Happy Birthday Cat
07-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by wdwa1
But I do not see where anyone has said or suggested that children should not use quiet pools under any circumstances

I think it has been suggested in the following examples:

"If you see a quiet pool nice and QUIET, please take your kids to the kid's pool."

"Obviously, they can't pull the trigger to actually call them 'adult only' and enforce that, because there are obviously many families with kids who would complain, but I'm just tellin' ya...there are people out here who still want to go to Disney, despite it being the kid capital of the world, and while we know we will be dealing with your kids all day long, it is nice to have a 'quiet' pool to get away from them. We particularly choose resorts with 'quiet' pools for this reason."

If Disney wanted to create an adults only pool, while I wouldn't like it, my family and I would respect it, just as we do when we are on the DCL or at Castaway Cay. It's just that they don't and those who want to keep kids out of the quiet pools are being unrealistic.

However as I have stated, IMHO it is not unrealistic to expect the quiet pool to be be more quiet, more subdued, more laid back and more controled than the main pool.

HBC

sandieb
07-29-2004, 11:55 PM
I am trying to imagine a group at the "quiet pool" walking, swimming, and sitting in silence. Hmmm...seems a little far out. I think it is ok to play, laugh, and talk at any pool. Respecting others right to enjoy the pool is certainly valid.

For the record...one evening we went down to the quiet pool at the BCV. A group of noisy folks left just after we arrived. Along comes a CM who asks us to leave because there were complaints of noise. It was just me and one older child...I explained we had just arrived, and we promised we would be quiet. Seems like some CMs are willing to confront noisy guests. Sandie

3DisneyNUTS
07-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by wdwa1
I totally agree and when our children were young; we used both the main pool and the quiet pools, in the same way it appears your family does.
But I do not see where anyone has said or suggested that children should not use quiet pools under any circumstances, :confused:
What some people did suggest is separate quiet pool for adults only at WDW resorts. Several have expressed opinions that this would never happen at WDW because it is for families etc. However, very valid and true posts were made pointing out how DCL has many adult only areas. But no one has said WDW quiet pools should be exclusively for adults.

There are other less kid populated areas of a resort/the world that adults can go to and there is an entitre island dedicated to for adults to enjoy, restaurants,bars etc.. Comparing DCL with WDW/resorts is unfair. People cannot escape the boat so it would be logical that there are designated areas on DCL because there are no options for adults unless they leave the boat which is impossible on sea days or stay in their rooms.

Plus people who don't like how the quiet/leisure pools rules are enforced can stay off property at an adult oriented resort. One definitely does not need to stay onsite to enjoy WDW. There is no choice for cruisers they cannot leave the ship so the nessessity for an adult pool is warranted. Same with the beach at castaway cay.

Muushka
07-30-2004, 06:03 AM
There are other less kid populated areas of a resort/the world that adults can go to and there is an entitre island dedicated to for adults to enjoy, restaurants,bars etc.. Comparing DCL with WDW/resorts is unfair. People cannot escape the boat so it would be logical that there are designated areas on DCL because there are no options for adults unless they leave the boat which is impossible on sea days or stay in their rooms.

Plus people who don't like how the quiet/leisure pools rules are enforced can stay off property at an adult oriented resort. One definitely does not need to stay onsite to enjoy WDW. There is no choice for cruisers they cannot leave the ship so the nessessity for an adult pool is warranted. Same with the beach at castaway cay.

Oye! Why is it that when a discussion such as this comes uo and people are honest about their feelings that you are told "if you don't like it-go somewhere else"? That really bugs me. So much for honesty. :rolleyes:

Also, what island are you refering to? If it is Pleasure Island, not all adults are interested in the drinking scene that goes on there. I prefer the more 'family atmosphere'-that is why we go to WDW. I enjoy watching families at the happiest place in the world. I just don't enjoy listening to children screaming and parents screaming back at them. Sorry I am just being honest.

And yes, I do have to stay onsite to enjoy WDW. Three little letters to prove it DVC.

Uncleromulus
07-30-2004, 06:04 AM
pjmpa:
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. At least you got an apology from dear old dad. Often we get dirty looks for not throwing the ball back fast enough---. Or a dirty look as if to say "You got in the way of our ball".

Should also add that in thinking back over all our past trips to OKW, I'd say that about 75% of the time the "quiet pools" are reasonably "quiet" enough for us to stay. The other 25% of the time they're not.

Sandy: You got lucky. I don't expect Disney CM's to ever do anything to curb this sort of thing which is why--when it happens-we just leave. Several times at Turtle Krawl I've seen the CM's in that food/drink stand actually watch these kind of antics and not say a thing. Or call anyone who might be better able to say something.

JimC
07-30-2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Uncleromulus
...Should also add that in thinking back over all our past trips to OKW, I'd say that about 75% of the time the "quiet pools" are reasonably "quiet" enough for us to stay. The other 25% of the time they're not....

We have been a bit luckier, maybe-- 85%/15% -- at a collection of resorts on property with multiple pools (themed/quiet). Clearly most familes at the quiet pools are respectful of the intent to provide a pool to swim in and have more subdued fun.

3DisneyNUTS
07-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Muushka
Oye! Why is it that when a discussion such as this comes uo and people are honest about their feelings that you are told "if you don't like it-go somewhere else"? That really bugs me. So much for honesty. :rolleyes:

Also, what island are you refering to? If it is Pleasure Island, not all adults are interested in the drinking scene that goes on there. I prefer the more 'family atmosphere'-that is why we go to WDW. I enjoy watching families at the happiest place in the world. I just don't enjoy listening to children screaming and parents screaming back at them. Sorry I am just being honest.

And yes, I do have to stay onsite to enjoy WDW. Three little letters to prove it DVC.

Because we are talking about a person who finds children's voices piecing and wants families to avoid a pool if she is there. IMO that person should have rethought their choice of timeshare purchase.

Families should not be made to feel unwelcomed at WDW since that is the target audience of the world.

AND like I said in an earlier post obnoxiousness should not be tolerated no matter who it comes from be it child or adult but to tell people that if they see adults snoozing by a pool to shlep somewhere else gives me a right to suggest an alternative for them as well.

Plus if you are not happy with PI or even West Side for that matter that is what Disney provided for the adults. Since childless couples are not Disney's main target audience I don't expect anything more to be planned in the future.

Plus to request that pools be just for adults IMO is absurd...for WDW anyway.

With the thousands of vacation spots that would be inappropriate for people with children especially toddlers, who tend to raise their voices when excited, it is one of the few places a kid can be a kid. It is one of the rare places where parents should be able to let their hair down too and not have to worry about their kids enjoying themselves "annoying" other people.

CRobin
07-30-2004, 07:34 AM
It is one of the rare places where parents should be able to let their hair down too and not have to worry about their kids enjoying themselves "annoying" other people.

I hope you didn't mean that.

If it is your understanding that WDW is a place where someone's kids can "enjoy themselves annoying other people", then there is a serious disconnect, and I suspect (but don't guarantee) that you will not get 100% accord with that statement on this board.

I will requote my prior post..

"Where I do have a problem is with the parents who ENCOURAGE their kids to race down the hallway screaming to see who can get to the door first with their key, or with the lady I encountered on our last trip who laughed while her son knocked on every door at BWV while walking toward the elevator. Really cute. Wish I had a camera for that Kodak moment."

3DisneyNUTS
07-30-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by CRobin
I hope you didn't mean that.

If it is your understanding that WDW is a place where someone's kids can "enjoy themselves annoying other people", then there is a serious disconnect, and I suspect (but don't guarantee) that you will not get 100% accord with that statement on this board.

I will requote my prior post..

"Where I do have a problem is with the parents who ENCOURAGE their kids to race down the hallway screaming to see who can get to the door first with their key, or with the lady I encountered on our last trip who laughed while her son knocked on every door at BWV while walking toward the elevator. Really cute. Wish I had a camera for that Kodak moment."
NO I am sorry I reread it and it came out wrong I should have added a comma...Let me rewrite the sentance to express what I really mean. Or another word.

It is one of the rare places where parents should be able to let their hair down and let their kids enjoy themselves and not worry about it "annoying" other people.
There I hope it conveys what I am trying to say.
Plus the child knocking on all of the doors is obnoxious and definitely should not be allowed. People need to speak up when they see that awful behavior give the parents a wake up call that it is not "cute"!