PDA

View Full Version : Back from SSR **Victims of a crime**

wisbucky
07-21-2004, 07:53 AM
We came back from SSR on July 12th. Due to some problems along the way I have waited until now to post our trip report. We had a trip that was horrible, however, we have some good things to say about our stay. I will start with the positive areas first.

We arrived at 12:00 p.m. on July 8 at SSR. Checked in but our room was not ready. We asked what view we had and were told that we did not get a DTD view. We were told that all of the studios were already filled. So we had our luggage stored and took off for the parks. Headed to OKW to shop at Conch Flats and then to BC for Beaches and Cream. DELICIOUS!!!! We then headed to DTD to shop some more. Had a great time doing this.

Checked back in at SSR at 5:00 p.m. room was ready but we requested to change to a different room. Note: we did not go to our room first but requested a change while at the front desk yet to see if we could get a view of DTD. The desk clerk was very helpful and indicated that there was a smoking optional room available. He checked and found that all the previous guests had been requesting non-smoking for this room. The room was beautiful. We had room number 2101. We were on the first floor and the pool was directly out from us. We could see the fireworks from DTD at night and the landscaping was just gorgeous.

The room itself was very very clean. Loved the design and the room had plenty of space for two adults. Also at night it was extremely quiet when we slept. I would definitely stay here again.

There is lots of construction going on but now of it interfered with our stay. We did not get a chance to try the main pool by the Carriage House but we did take in the quiet pool by our room. The main pool was always busy.

We spent most of this trip at MK. We did do E-ride night and had a blast. We only found that the waiting line to be long for Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh when Philharmagic let out. But it was only at the most a ten-minute wait. We rode the rides over and over and over again. It was awesome.

We were lucky enough to share an illuminations cruise on July 11th. Our guide was great. The view of illuminations was outstanding. I would highly recommend everyone to try the cruise at least once. After Illuminations the guide gave us and two other guests from the boat a ride over to MGM so we could catch Fantasmic.

It was hot during our stay but we made good use of the day. We spent the hottest portion of the day either back at the pool or inside buildings. The nighttime tempature was just perfect for us. Remember we have been stuck in Wisconsin with nothing but rain rain rain and temps in the 60's for most of our summer so far.

Now for the sad news. On July 9th we discovered we had money stolen. Once our investigation is completed I will give you all the details. After retracing our tracks we discovered that the money was stolen while we had our luggage in the luggage room. We called the front desk and indicated we needed to report stolen money. They sent a security guard down who spoke with us and took our information. Being left with no cash what so ever we were in a bind. So we went to the front desk and asked for some assistance in trying to obtain cash. The duty clerk wouldn’t even offer to allow us to write out a check for cash. She just said her hands were tied and left us hanging. We finally spoke with the DVC group and they helped us out by calling the front desk. We were finally allowed to write a check out.

Now most people would believe that after having spoken with the security guard that you had just reported a crime.

WRONG!

We were given a claim card. On the claim card the security guard wrote a number and said this was our claim number. We could call on Monday July 13 and find out what had been done. Without going into a lot of detail we had a good suspect. So on that Monday I called claims and was told that no claim was filed and that I needed to call to put a claim in. Being slightly frustrated here I did give the person on the other end all the details and she indicated someone will call me.

A few days later I did speak with an individual in claims. I gave him my story again and he indicated that Disney DOES NOT PROSECUTE ANYONE. He also went on to say that Disney is not responsible for any criminal activity on their property. Now I did not ask any questions that would of required that response. I then asked what law enforcement agency I needed to call in order to file a criminal theft complaint. I was given a short run around and finally was given the number to the Orange County Sheriff. I was told again that Disney is not responsible for any criminal activity. This man informed me that Disney would do their own investigation to see if they should of known if the suspect had any history of theft. But that is all.

I informed this individual that I would be calling the Orange County Sheriff to pursue a theft complaint. I was met with silence for approx. ten seconds. I did call Orange County Sheriff and was informed that they will assign an investigator to look into this matter. I was also informed that Disney does not like to have the Orange County Sheriff involved in criminal matters. Disney apparently has a large amount of crime taking place on their property. They would prefer to keep it all quiet.

So now I just have to wait to see what takes place between Disney investigation and the Orange County Sheriff. I should know more by the end of this week.

Now to add to it all on Sunday (our last day) I ended up having to take a ride from MK in an ambulance to Florida Hospital for a kidney stone. We didn’t even make it to the gate at MK and I basically couldn’t go on. Not knowing why I was having such horrible pain DH had an ambulance called. Obviously this is not Disney’s doing. But it sure put a sad end to our vacation.

I have to say that I am extremely disappointed in the way Disney is set up to handle criminal matters. It is my opinion that Disney intentionally misleads you in hopes that you either drop the issue or fail to actually follow through properly. Having a security guard speak with you is certainly misleading to any reasonable guests. If anything Disney should inform you that you need to call Orange County Sheriff to file a complaint. We have informed Orange County Sheriff that we want the person responsible prosecuted and we will see it through.

Sorry this was so long. Guess I needed to finally just vent.

dianeschlicht
07-21-2004, 08:02 AM
So sorry there were bad circustances on your trip. Kidney stones are an awful thing to have!

I agree that I would have assumed also that talking with the security guard was the same thing as filing a complaint. That is good to know, because now if anything happens, we will know to call the sheriff immediately!

Now I'm going to sound like the older parent and scold you fo putting cash in your suitcase! NEVER put cash in a suitcase. If you think you must have cash, take it in travelers checks.

ducklite
07-21-2004, 08:04 AM
I'm sorry that your trip wasn't the best. But I'm confused about how the cash was taken...

You checked your luggage and left valuables in it?

Now don't get me wrong, it should have been still there when you returned, but don't you think that some of the blame has to fall on you?

I would never leave cash or jewelry or anything else of value (credit cards, passports, plane tickets, etc.) in my luggage and check it. I'd either carry it with me or check it at the front desk into the managers safe.

Anne

bobbiwoz
07-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Oh my gosh, what a nightmare! Are you feeling better?

I hope the criminal is found, and punished by the authorities of Orange County. I don't want Disney to appear to be a possible place of employment for thieves. It could be looked upon as a training ground for crooks, you even can get caught and it doesn't matter.

The darker side of the mouse is raising it's ugly head. Thank you for being so insistent on getting outside people in to check.

Bobbi

RweTHEREyet
07-21-2004, 08:07 AM
I am so sorry for the sad turn of events during your trip. Your report makes it sound as if you had cash in your luggage, is that the case or am I misunderstanding what I read?

Hope you have "recovered" from your kidney stone. Please keep us posted on the outcome of your complaint with Orange County.

CarolMN
07-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Sorry to hear about the theft and our kidney stone. Sure hope you are OK.

Thanks for the heads up. If anything ever happens to us that appears to require police intervention, I know to call the Orange County Sherrif and not rely on Disney.

Best wishes -

Pinnie
07-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Ya know, this post has given me a pause to think.

How many people drop off their luggage for the day and then pick it up and head for the airport with it? While I would love to say that I can trust EVERYONE that Disney hires, the point is that there can be a rotten apple in the bunch that could slip something in that luggage and have it carried aboard the plane!

I hate to sound like Henny Penny here, but we always take our luggage and lock it in the car after we check out. I know it isn't an option for those that use other means of transportation, but it is really gving me something to think about.

pinnie

MAC3
07-21-2004, 08:25 AM
That is awful. The stolen money and then a kidney stone OUCH. I hope you feel better and that your money is returned to you.

I get laughed at everytime we go away and I get travelers checks! It's nice to know who to call in an emergency. Thanks for the warning.

CarolA
07-21-2004, 08:29 AM
I know this is going to sound harsh, but WHY would you leave cash like that? I am just amazed that people will head off on vacation with all their funds in CASH.

The truth here is that Disney has NO way of even knowing if you had cash with you. Cash cannot be traced and leaves no trail.... which is probably why someone took it!

If you don't want to use credit cards, then get Travelers checks. In this same situation, you would have been able to call Amex and get a refund, now you are out of luck and won't ever see any money.

As to calling the local cops.... if they are like most local police they are busy and once again with cash all you have is your word which in this day and age means nothing. You aren't a local taxpayer and...basically there is no way to prove that (A) you had anything stolen and (B) that the money in the suspects pocket is yours!

As for Disney procsecuting... I am pretty sure you have to be a goverment entity to prosecute so nope Disney can't prosecute. They can and do fire however.

Simba's Mom
07-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Pinnie

How many people drop off their luggage for the day and then pick it up and head for the airport with it? While I would love to say that I can trust EVERYONE that Disney hires, the point is that there can be a rotten apple in the bunch that could slip something in that luggage and have it carried aboard the plane!

I hate to sound like Henny Penny here, but we always take our luggage and lock it in the car after we check out. I know it isn't an option for those that use other means of transportation, but it is really gving me something to think about.

pinnie
I agree completely! You know, on my last solo trip, I just didn't want to leave my luggage with anyone the last day so I remember sitting around SAB with my rolling suitcase. I'm sure more than one person thought I was strange. At the time, I wasn't sure why, but I just didn't want to leave it-now I'm glad I didn't!

wisbucky
07-21-2004, 08:33 AM
To clarify a few matters here. The cash was in the luggage room but not in the luggage. I dont want to go into detail as this is being investigated and the area the cash was at had a lot to do with the person who is the suspect.

I dont want to get into a debate here but be careful not to bash the victim of a crime. Someday you may be the victim of a crime. I hope that never happens but if it does and you have others putting blame on you to a certain degree, you will wonder who they really are supporting. The criminal or you.

Just a thought to keep in mind.

las3888
07-21-2004, 08:42 AM
I feel really bad about your situation. I would be pretty frustrated, especially since it sounds like you have a good suspect, yet Disney doesn't seem to willing to want to do much.

I appreciate the warning. We rarely check our bags with valet since we usually have a rental car and leave everything in there, but I will remember this for future.

For those who are criticizing wisbucky for leaving cash in their suitcase, ease up. They don't need a lecture 3, 4, 5 times about it. I think they got the message already. I think what wisbucky needed is a place to vent and they probably feel bad enough that they lost their money.

spiceycat
07-21-2004, 08:42 AM
I am so sorry on your first trip to your new DVC this happened to you.

I try not to carry cash - I mean if you need cash that is what grocery stores and ATM are for - I mean yes the ATM will charge you - but as I said if you need cash.

Carrying cash at any time is dangerous - people have been killed for a few dollars.

I am so sorry that this happened to you. Maybe it was to help you understand the dangers involved in carrying cash so that next time you won't be killed.

I know little help now and I can understand how mad you are. Stop and think losing money (even alot of money) is far better than losing your life.

I can also understand not wanting to use American Express - there are now places in Florida that are refusing them - believe me I have tried.

I carry a couple of CC, my ATM (or debit charge would work) - and very little cash. when I need more cash I either use one of the ATM machines in WDW or if there is more time I will go to a grocery store and use the ATM card there.

westjones
07-21-2004, 08:43 AM
This is one reason we do not like to have someone handle our bags. It always makes me nervous when someone 'takes' our bags for us. I don't leave valuables in them, but they don't know that and I don't want to have to worry about it.

We do use luggage service sometimes (recently we did at VWL--and no problems), because of the distance of the parking lot to the room. But this post makes me rethink that decision. We could pull them to our room (we pulled them from our room when we checked out).

The idea of someone going through my luggage, even if there is nothing worth stealing, is unsettling.

So sorry to hear of all that happened on your trip. Thanks for reminding us to be careful with our luggage. I hope your next trip goes smoother.

DJ

Terry S
07-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Sorry that this happened to you!

I had a much different thing happen at BCV. I called the housekeeping to ask if they had seen my sons pj bottoms, they did a bedding change that day and his pjs were on the bed and his bottoms had come up missing. The person I talked to on the phone told me should would check into it. About 15 minutes later a manager from the BCV showed up at my door along with a person from Security. I was shocked. They said to me "you had a theft occur, we are here to take the report". I told them that it was not a theft, meerly an accident and I didn't think we needed to write up a report. The security person confirmed that I did not want a report written up and left. Of course this was not truely a theft and it was not money being stolen, but I was surprised at how responsive they were.

joepoe
07-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by wisbucky
To clarify a few matters here. The cash was in the luggage room but not in the luggage. I dont want to go into detail as this is being investigated and the area the cash was at had a lot to do with the person who is the suspect.

I dont want to get into a debate here but be careful not to bash the victim of a crime. Someday you may be the victim of a crime. I hope that never happens but if it does and you have others putting blame on you to a certain degree, you will wonder who they really are supporting. The criminal or you.

Now I'M TOTALLY confused.

Goofyzgurl
07-21-2004, 09:04 AM
I've never left my luggage at the luggage room, so I'm confused too. So is there a drawer or something that you can lock your cash in, like a safety box or something?
We usually don't carry much cash with us when we go on vacation, it's a mix of cash, traveler's checks and cc. That way if something does happen, we still have money. I think some crimes are crimes of opportunity. I give crimals as little opportunites as possible. I try to think of all the ways that a crime can happen and plan according. While I can't think of everything, I try to the best of my ability to not leave myself open to be a victim. Yes, I have been a victim of crime, my purse was stolen when I was in high school and my visa was just stolen last year and they charged up a storm. It was my checking visa too so it came directly from my account. It's devasting when things like that happen and you just feel so mad and helpless, but I do take responsiblilty for my part in it. I now don't leave my purse in the car without locking it and I keep track of my credit cards better ( still don't know how they got my visa).

stc1223
07-21-2004, 09:12 AM
I often feel a little uncomfortable leaving my bags but only once has the room been ready upon arrival, we always take a very early flight and take airport transports to the hotel.We always stay at the Boardwalk and the baggage staff seem to be competant. I don't leave cash or credit cards but I probably leave other items that would cause me great distress if they were gone.

It's a lesson you'll never forget and I pray that someone will be saved the same grief because they've heeded your warning. Thank you for sharing.

Susan

rinkwide
07-21-2004, 09:26 AM
...be careful not to bash the victim of a crime.

I don't think there is any bashing going on here. I just think many of us are incredulous that someone would check a significant amount of cash with their luggage.

That said, I do appreciate your report and I'll certainly be more cautious about what I check. However, if, in the future, I am careless enough to hand cash over to someone I don't know I'll certainly take responsibility for the consequences.

LIFERBABE
07-21-2004, 09:27 AM
and sharing. Since there are so many other perfect people in the world, Im sure it was hard for you but you cared enough about others to share your experience.

I learned something from reading your post and I appreciate it.

Thank you!

ErinC
07-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Wisbucky: First let me say that I am sorry that your trip wasn't as good as you wished. The stolen money issue is terrible! I will refrain from treating you like a child and lecturing! On our last trip we had a change can here at the house that we had been saving as our "Disney" fund. When I cashed it all out, it was around $700. I too did not get any travelers checks. It made me a nervous wreck to have the cash with me. As soon as we checked in to BCV I had them place the cash on my account. So before they charged anything to my credit card, it used the cash first. That way it was out of my hands and I didn't have to worry about carrying it, or even putting it in the safe. Just something to keep in mind, that they will do this for you upfront.

It is so strange to hear about how these things are handled. The first part of June, there were several reports about money being stolen from some units at BCV while we were there the last week of May. It seems that according to those folks, Disney was on top of the situation, and resolved it pretty quickly. It seems like it was cash that was stolen then, by a housekeeper. DH and I even joked that it must of been our housekeeper, since they hadn't bothered to clean our room before we checked in!!:eek: Just kidding, no flames please!:teeth: Any way, I hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

I can also relate to your trip to the ER. I had one of those on our May trip too. I had a cyst that burst, and we had to leave the MK at around 9:40 because I thought I was dying. After 7 hours at Celebration ER (and $3000+ later)I finally got to leave. It really put a damper on the day to say the least. I hope you are feeling better now. Hopefully, your next trip will be better!

shelbyjosh
07-21-2004, 09:43 AM
So sorry to hear your trip ended on a sour note. Hope you are feeling better! But, I do have a question: why would you leave cash in a suitcase or in something else out of your possession? First of all, we only take (maybe) $300 cash and it is split up in DH and I's wallets. The rest is on debit/credit card. Secondly, when we have had to store our bags dues to our room not being ready we always take our carry-on bag. It has DD breathing machine (just in case!!), all meds, bathing suits, and 2 digital cameras. No way would I be checking that bag with a bellhop!! Yes, it is a pain to lug around. But what is in there is unreplaceable. I guess this was a lesson learned for you. I hope WDW gets to the bottom of this and your matter gets resolved. PLease post an update when you can!!

Don't most resorts have safes at the front desk to use???

crisi
07-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the update.

We also don't carry more cash than we'd be comfortable losing, but its good to know that if I think I want a police report filed at Disney, I'd better call the police.

I know that I have insurance on my cell phone for when it is lost - and I need to have the number from a police report in order to have the insurance kick in - even if I know I dropped in down the toilet and didn't have it stolen! It isn't unthinkable to want a police report if one of my earrings falls out or I lose my wedding ring while we travel - even if we are never victimized by anything other than my own forgetfullness!

If your acheive resolution, I'd be interested in hearing how the money got to where it was. Reading between the lines, I have a suspicion of what might have happened, and if I'm right, I would have trusted the situation as well.

dianeschlicht
07-21-2004, 09:59 AM

Yikes! This sounds like it was taken from the safe! I think you DO have a case here! Hope it all turns out for the best.

Terry S
07-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Hey crisi... it is funny that you mention just that. My husband "lost" his phone while we were at WDW last May. He made a call just before we went on the water mice as we were walking out to the dock and then noticed it missing when we were done and he was taking off his life jacket. We assume that while he was bending down getting into the boat that the life jacket knocked it off of its click and down into the water. We reported it "lost" to the BC just in case and then called the phone insurance company. They asked us for a police report but I told them that I had not seen a use for one since it was at the bottom of a lake. They did not require us to get one then. By the way, a very water logged phone showed up in the mail 2 weeks later. I am not sure if the thing floats or what?

canwegosoon
07-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, hope you're feeling better, and thanks for the heads up!:rolleyes:

DebbieB
07-21-2004, 11:03 AM
I either lost or had a cell phone stolen from OKW about 5 years ago. I didn't realize it was gone until about day 4 of our trip, I thought I left it in my carryon bag. The phone co advised that I file a police report in case unauthorized calls were made plus for insurance purposes. I called the front desk and they gave me the number for the Orange Co Sheriff. I gave them a report over the phone and got a report #. I was able to get some of the money back from homeowners insurance. That "free" phone when you sign up for service becomes very expensive when you have to replace it during your contract (unfortunately, I lost it right after I got it and still had almost 2 years left on my contract).

wisbucky - if the amount stolen was more than your homeowners deductible, you should consider filing a claim (if you haven't already).

lisareniff
07-21-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm very disappoointed in how Disney handled this situation. I'm sure it made you feel so much worse. Sort of like being a victim twice.:(

vernon
07-21-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your problems, I very much appreciate you taking the time to give the rest off us a heads up. Both the story and Disney/Orange County Police aspect are very useful information that I hope I'll never have to use.

I must admit it does sound a curious situation and I do hope you will be able to explain how things came to be. It sounds like you put your trust in someone (or they offered to accept that trust) and you were taken advantage of.

floridafam
07-21-2004, 11:31 AM
This sounds like it was taken from the safe

That's what I was thinking, too BUT if you deposit money in a safe at WDW then you get a receipt. If you come to get your money and it's gone then that's theft.

It doesn't sound like that is what happened here. I'm confused.

I'm sure it must be awful to experience something like this on vacation. :(

JimC
07-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Sorry to hear about the theft and health problems on your last trip. I hope both eventually turn out okay.

I understand the frustration of how to deal with Disney as one would normally expect to report thefts to a local law enforcement official, once property security is notified. At WDW the issue is a bit more complex.

WDW located in a separate governmental entity called RCID (Reedy Creek Improvement District). It is authorized in Florida legislation that grants Disney extraordinary governmental powers. The only residents of RCID are carefully selected Disney employees (When the town of Celebration was established it was annexed out of RCID). RCID provides all of the typical governmental services (fire, police, water, sewer, road maintenance, zoning, etc). They do have relationships that have evolved over the years with local and state government. For more information on this unique situation read "Married to the Mouse".

WDWLVR
07-21-2004, 12:22 PM
First off I'm really sorry about how this ruined part of your vacation. I've had a kindey stone and know that it is no fun whatsoever.

As for the money - I honestly don't think anyone was bashing you. They were going on what you had said which was the money disappeared from the luggage room. It is a natural assumption then that it was in your luggage.

We've checked luggage in the past and I always keep my travel folder in my carry-on with all our papers and money in it. I keep a lock for the carry-on and when we check it I make sure I take the travel folder out and lock the carry-on. Yes it is a bit bulky in my purse, but I would never leave it behind with checked baggage.

I like the idea of putting the money right on your room charge instead of carrying it . Since we often charge things back to the room it would make things very easy.

I hope all goes well for you in this case.

Pa@okw95
07-21-2004, 12:28 PM
The private security force is there to protect WDW from bad publicity, reporting of crimes, and to protect WDW from liability when possible. Then the customers come next. They do not as a rule report to the police. A classic example of this happen when a person was killed riding a water sprite that was hit by the ferry that brings people to MK. At any rate WDW sent divers down to get the body and clean up any evidence. Then they contacted the police, the police were not happy with this situation. What is so marvelous about all this is the way WDW controls everything, even the bad. The same holds true with the tax structure they have. How do you think we get to have deeds when we are really only renting points, then we get to pay taxes, of course, we would pay the taxes indirectly anyway. There have been books written about how the whole WDW situation was formed. Walt knew what he was doing when he built his kingdom. At any rate theft happens all the time at WDW, protect your money. No need to lecture the OP here.

goofy4tink
07-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Someone here mentioned they don't like to leave any luggage unattended in the luggage holding area. That got me thinking. Have any of you tried putting security ties on your luggage? That way you would know if it had been opened. Sure would make me feel safer. I had never given any thought to who has access to my bags before getting on a flight. I guess when I'm asked at the airport if my bags have been out of my sight at any time, I should be answering 'yes'!!!! Think I'll get some of those thingies for next month since my stuff will be being stored.

pumpkinboy
07-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Good idea, goofy4tink! Where do you go to get that sort of thing?

brivers222
07-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by pumpkinboy

We buy luggage Locks (not the generic ones where a paper clip could open it) but locks that have one key to open it. We place these on all zippers on the luggage.

As another security measure bought those armband things from a party store near our house. We attached them on the zippers as well. You can tell imediately that they have been tampered with.

Even though someone can still get into the suitcase (rip the sides with a box cutter or knife) it is a very good deterant.

SleepyatDVC
07-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by goofy4tink
That got me thinking. Have any of you tried putting security ties on your luggage? That way you would know if it had been opened. Sure would make me feel safer. I had never given any thought to who has access to my bags before getting on a flight. I guess when I'm asked at the airport if my bags have been out of my sight at any time, I should be answering 'yes'!!!! Think I'll get some of those thingies for next month since my stuff will be being stored.

Those security ties are literally a dime a dozen. I have heard that airport security even keeps them on hand to put back on the luggage after a luggage security check.

That being said. I think that those security ties are better than nothing. Basically, if someone wanted in, they could get in whatever you had on - lock or tie thingy. What we really want to know is has someone been in our stuff without our knowledge. My advice, for what it's worth, is to paint the ends (or wherever) of the security tie with your reject nail polish, so that you should know if the security was place on it by you - or replaced by someone else.

Another thing, if you fly, you won't be able to carry scissors in your carryon so make sure you have something to cut those security ties off with when you get to the hotel.

wtpclc
07-21-2004, 01:20 PM
If you have a bag with a removable handle that must be stored inside the bag for plane travel, you'll want to be able to cut those ties off between the time your store your luggage and check it in at the plane.

Patty3
07-21-2004, 01:39 PM
You really had a double whammy. I have passed kidney stones and I know first hand how incredibly painful they can be. I am so sorry that this happened to you while in DW. My Dad had this happen to him in Poland many years ago and it was quite scary!

I am also so sorry that you had money stolen. I thank you for being so concerned that this does not happen to someone else, by posting your misfortune. You have made us more aware that things like this can and do happen at to the happiest place on earth. I now know that if something like this happens to me, I will make a direct report to the Sheriff's Department. Please let us know how this all works out.

I really do appreciate the concern you have shown for others, thank you!

barb45
07-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the reminder to be cautious on vacation. I hope they fire the guy that stole your money. You would think that they would have security cameras in the luggage area!! They have security cameras all over the place that it would seem logical that an area like that would be covered too. Now for my tip of the day: I carry very little cash (split between DH and me) and I use a money belt. It's very thin and lies flat against your stomach under your shirt. I put my passport, cash, airline tickets and CC's in there and don't even carry a purse - and you can't be pick pocketed either. I got this tip from a travel show I watch because pick pockets are common in some European countries. And I love being hands free!

anabelle
07-21-2004, 02:42 PM
I had my wallet stolen right out of my purse when I was on vacation years ago. I had everything stolen , checkbook, cc's, money, ID. It really messes up a vacation. I now make sure that I carry only what is important on trips. This last time I went to WDW, I had a backpack with a combination spring clip lock. It is not the quickest , but I knew they would have to cut open my backpack to get a any valueables

K9pal
07-21-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm surprised these posts got to page 3 before someone mentioned luggage locks. We ALWAYS lock our luggage when it's left somewhere, even if we leave it in the room. We don't leave valuables in it, but regardless we always lock it. Those good combination locks only run about $5-10 apiece and are well worth it.

I too am anxious to hear the whole story. Sorry to hear the OP had such a bad experience. Anyone can be a crime victim, regardless of what precautions you take.

donmil723
07-21-2004, 03:50 PM
So sorry to hear about your attack of kidney stones and the theft of your money at SSR. I'm sure this is one vacation you won't enjoy remembering.

I understand what you mean about Disney Security. My DD's girlfriend had money stolen from her purse in her room when we stayed at BCV. We had to give a report to Disney security and the housekeeping manager on duty. I felt that the housekeeping manager would get to the bottom of it before Disney security. When we reported it to Disney security, I asked if we needed to report it the sheriff's department. Although they said we could if we wanted to do so, I felt they would prefer to handle it in-house. And they did. Within 36 hours, they had caught the housekeeping CM and gave our DD's girlfriend back the cash she had stolen.

Although it doesn't sound that Disney has resolved your situation as quickly as they did ours, I hope they do so soon to your satisfaction.

Donna

PamOKW
07-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by K9pal
We ALWAYS lock our luggage when it's left somewhere, even if we leave it in the room.

I learned the hard way that the lock doesn't mean much. I was on a company trip where the luggage was picked up at O'Hare for us by the hotel and delivered right to the Hyatt. Somewhere along the line, the luggage lock was removed and the zipper on the bag destroyed (this was pre-9/11). I had nothing valuable in it and I don't think anything was taken. Anything valuable always stays with me and is never handed over to any bellhop, airline carrier, etc.

It may not even be a Disney employee who is responsible. There are professional thieves who watch for someone who seems like they may be leaving them an opportunity. The one "incident" I had (stolen license plate) at OKW long ago was when they were still under construction. As soon as I saw the headline of this post that was my first thought -- the confusion of a new resort and the distraction of construction are prime covers for petty thieves.

As understanding as they are, Disney themselves are very often the target of scam artists. They cannot be completely understanding in cases where it's hard to provide proof. For every person who really has cash, jewelery, etc. stolen -- there are 5 more who misplaced it and 2 who are just out to scam Disney. It makes it tough on honest people who made a mistake, like these people, and were too trusting.

You mentioned the ambulance -- Did you find Disney to be helpful in your medical emergency? A few years back Disney and DVC madeup for any nitpicks I ever had by the wonderful help they gave to my family in an emergency at Epcot.

Also on the upside -- thanks very much for the report on SSR!

goofy4tink
07-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by pumpkinboy

I got some at Target. They are from a company called Master Lock. Disposable luggage closures. Says they meet airline security screening standards. They come in a pack of 12, 3 each of 4 colors. Sure, someone could get them off with a pair of scissors. But, I was planning on putting a mark on them, so that if they were removed and then replaced, I would know. I carry my valuables with me, in my carry-on, so I'm not too concerned that someone is going to steal my undies. But the thought of someone putting something 'into' my bag makes me more than a little nervous. Would it happen? Probably not. Could it happen? Sure.

DisneyMeMa
07-21-2004, 04:47 PM
As many of you are aware, airport security will no longer allow you to lock your checked luggage. We frequently place twist ties on our luggage in hopes of slowing down the zippers from "accidently" coming undone, while still allowing access. We have had those notices inside our bags that the contents had been searched numerous times with no problems. In May we travelled from IAH (curbside check-in) to SAV. When we arrived at HH my DH noticed the twist tie was missing from his suitcase. He did not have an inspection notice inside. When he opened it, he knew the contents had been disturbed (he is very tidy). Sure enough, a $100 bill was missing. The Disney Dollars that were in the same spot were still there LOL. My DH called the airline that night and filed a report when we arrrived at IAH two weeks later. Sadly, we did not expect anything to be done about it, but we did want the airline to know it had happened. About 6 weeks later we got a form letter saying they were not responsible and hoped we would fly with them again. We will - for the most part they have given us good service. However, they did/do? have a security problem. Although I agree with others on this board that it is not a good idea to put cash in our checked luggage we will continue to do so with relatively small amounts of money. We view it as extra insurance, in case of unusual circumstances, to have cash stashed in different spots. It is distressing to think about crimes being committed in what should be secure areas.

Horace Horsecollar
07-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by JimC
WDW located in a separate governmental entity called RCID (Reedy Creek Improvement District).

Originally posted by JimC
RCID provides all of the typical governmental services (fire, police, water, sewer, road maintenance, zoning, etc).
It's true that Disney controls what is essentially a private government. The RCID provides typical government services, including building & safety, road construction & maintenance, utilities, and fire protection.

But the RCID is not in the law enforcemnt business. There is no Reedy Creek Police Department. For the portion of the RCID that's in Orange County, the law enforcement agency is the Orange County Sheriff's Office. For the southern part of the RCID, it's the Osceola County Shriff's Office.

Disney Security is part of Disney, not part of the RCID.

beequeen
07-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Thare are luggage locks that can be purchased that can be used for air travel. I bought mine from Magellan's catalogue. You set and lock it with acombination, but on the bottom is a key hole that security in the airport has a key to open if they want to. Again, they are not theft proof, but more of a deterrent. Sorry about your bad trip.

RweTHEREyet
07-21-2004, 06:17 PM
As many of you are aware, airport security will no longer allow you to lock your checked luggage

not entirely true. You can lock your checked bags as long as you stay in the area where it is going thru the scanner. They ask that you be available to open your luggage with your key if it does not pass inspection going thru the scanner. We stand and watch ours go thru security before we head to the gate. At least this is what we experienced last Fall and again this Spring.

Dean
07-21-2004, 06:27 PM
I am in no way bashing the OP or anyone else. However I would like to emphasize that in almost all cases, the hotel will not be liable in this situation. Even if you could prove it happened, who did it and it was an employee, Disney would not be liable technically. Of course you could always bring suit and see what happened if anyone had a case strong enough to try it.

jctwizzer
07-21-2004, 06:37 PM
It's amazing how many people believe something just cause its posted here. Sounds like a classic troll to me; but what do I know!:smooth:

DVCforWe3
07-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Hey JCTWizzer:

You're from Missouri -- ya gotta SHOW us, right!!:o :o

Ruth M

joepoe
07-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by stc1223
I often feel a little uncomfortable leaving my bags but only once has the room been ready upon arrival, we always take a very early flight and take airport transports to the hotel.We always stay at the Boardwalk and the baggage staff seem to be competant. I don't leave cash or credit cards but I probably leave other items that would cause me great distress if they were gone.

It's a lesson you'll never forget and I pray that someone will be saved the same grief because they've heeded your warning. Thank you for sharing.

Susan

I agree. Totally sorry for your loss. Our luggage has underwear in it. Nothing of value. If they want it they cn have it. :jester:

Cris
07-21-2004, 07:24 PM
sorry to hear about your kidney stones I was in the ER just last week to for them uggh. I am not going to bash you but I don't even carry cash at home. A great new option from American Express is now... THe Amex TravelFund card, sorta like their travelers cheques but in card form.

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/page/0,1641,18622,00.asp

WithDisneySpirit
07-21-2004, 07:27 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, Wisbucky and I am also sorry that so many people have seemed to jump to conclusions about it being your fault:(

Two big things going wrong are just TOO much on a Disney Vacation:sad2:

I surely hope it is resolved somehow to your benefit::yes::

That said, I am really amazed that you were able to write such a wonderful trip report on the front end of your post! How impressive of you::yes:: ::yes::

Thanks for telling us,
Lisa:sunny:

smjj
07-21-2004, 07:33 PM
We use travelers checks but always end up with quite a bit of cash anyway. We use a 20 or 50 dollar travellers checks for a purchase of 10 to 20 dollars. We try and keep our cash to a minimun but it sneaks up on us and by vacation end we seem to a $100.00 or so. It just happens and maybe this is the case here. We try and keep some for food at the airports, tips and parking and that ends up about $100.00 as well, it happens..smjj

JLS
07-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Regarding the liability issue (putting my attorney hat on here), regardless of what is said by a company like Disney that they are not liable for anything that goes on on their premises, the reality is that IF you can prove that Disney has been negligent in some way, you absolutely can bring a civil action against Disney. But an important part of negligence is to prove that Disney had a duty to protect your valuables that you left unsecured. Your actions, unfortuntely, would probably be viewed as "contributory negligence" - in other words, you have a duty to look out for your own valuables and belongings and you breached that duty by not securing them / leaving the money out of your sight. If Disney knew or should have known that the employee who stole your money was a thief or that there was prior criminal activity of the same type that was not dealt with by Disney, arguably that would be grounds for a negligence action. We don't know all of the details of your situation, so I cannot say whether I think Disney was negligent here.

Sorry to hear about your situation, though. I have had my purse and/or wallet stolen MANY times. It just stinks. We use credit cards for everything at Disney except for "petty cash" items like buying water. More peace of mind.

Lisa P.
07-21-2004, 10:26 PM
To clarify a few matters here. The cash was in the luggage room but not in the luggage.

:idea: I suggest that the crime was committed in the Luggage Room by Mr. Green with the Cooler!!!

:magnify: I suggest that it was committed in the Luggage Room by Professor Plum with the Package!!???

:confused3 In the Luggage Room by Miss Scarlet with the Safe?!?!?? :faint:

Sorry to read of your troubles on this trip. :( Thanks for posting.

Kadorto
07-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Maybe I missed it in one of the previous posts but apprx how much money are we talking about?

manning
07-21-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm trying to figure out the part about the money not being in the luggage but in the luggage room. Was it left on a counter???

Tigger1
07-22-2004, 12:12 AM
We stayed at Hard Rock Hotel 3 years ago and our van was broken into along with about 10 other vans/suvs. I was told the robbers were likely looking for tvs, since they were selective in what they took. We did not have anything of much value in it so they took nothing. They did go threw the cooler, it was the collapsable type with pockets, bags from Disney store with shirts, glove box, ect. I had to replace a window and clean up all the glass inside the van.

Hardrock was not helpful the day it happened. Later on that month, they did offer to reimburse me for the window and gave
us a one free night stay for our next trip. When we returned 2 years later, they also gave us a nice fruit tray and a bottle of wine.

One does not realize how awful being robbed is until they experience it.

It sounds like the poster likely left $$ in what they thought was a secure place. It also sounds like a cm might be involved. You never know who you can trust.

I like the travelors check idea.

MDonley
07-22-2004, 01:03 AM
WISBUCKY,
I'm sorry to hear that your trip, though memorable, wasn't magical. I hope that they catch the rat in the world of the mouse.

I'm sad to hear that you placed your trust in an SSR CM and they disappointed you. I certainly hope that isn't a trend.

In defense of the posters, from Missouri, that smelled a troll ... my DW grew up on a dairy farm and both she and you, being from Wisconsin, know what Dairy-air smells like and she says that this ain't it.

Maybe spreading some pixie dust will help make things better! Use it wisely!

PamOKW
07-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by JLS
except for "petty cash" items like buying water. More peace of mind.

If you're buying the water in the parks, you might need a home mortgage instead of petty cash. ;) ;)

Another minor point I'm surprised and concerned about is the trouble cashing a check at the desk. My understanding is that they would cash checks for guests, has this changed? I realize there is probably a daily cash limit but total refusal takes away one of the travel "safety nets".

Uncleromulus
07-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Like Manning and a # of others, I am curious as to exactly how you left the $$$ in the luggage room??
If not in a safe(?) and not in your luggage, did you "give" it to a CM for safekeeping?
For us to completely understand your post, it would be nice to know what really happened.

cvemom
07-22-2004, 06:25 AM
Sorry to hear about your experience. These are the times that Disney "lets me down". I worked in the hospitality industry for 20 years (in management) and I was extremely disapointed in Disney's handling of a situation durind my stay at YC. They too, seemed to have a "cover-up" or "ignore it and it will go away" attitude. After my return home letters were sent to Walt Disney's corporate office concerning the handling of the situation and still nothing was done. In short, when we checked into YC we went to our room and the girls were tired. This was mid vacation switch and they wanted to rest. A 4 & 6 six years old pulled the covers down and got into bed. They said someting was in the bed. We had them get out and checked. When we pulled the covers all the way down we found a KNIFE! We immediately called for the manager. They finally called the room and said "What would you like us to do? No manager came to room. The housekeeper finally did but we had to ask them to change the bed and TAKE THE KNIFE. I expected more from Disney.

3DisneyNUTS
07-22-2004, 06:34 AM
Holy cow!! what kind of knife? The sportsman kind or like a steak knife? I could see if someone was eating but a sports knife is terrifying! Don't get me wrong I see the danger in no matter what kind of knife but at least a steak knife could have a normal story behind it.

goofy4tink
07-22-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by 3DisneyNUTS
Holy cow!! what kind of knife? The sportsman kind or like a steak knife? I could see if someone was eating but a sports knife is terrifying! Don't get me wrong I see the danger in no matter what kind of knife but at least a steak knife could have a normal story behind it.

While a steak knife in my sheets would be 'better' than a sportsman's knife, I have to wonder how any knife could end up in the sheets, since they are supposed to be changed with each guest. I would hate to think the DVC resorts aren't changing the linens after each room is emptied.

CarolMN
07-22-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by jctwizzer
It's amazing how many people believe something just cause its posted here. Sounds like a classic troll to me; but what do I know!:smooth:

Not a troll - read some of her other posts. She has nearly 400. If you ask me (and of course, you didn't, LOL) that's a lot of posting/trouble to go through if you're just interested in "trolling."

FWIW, I think some may have missed the fact that she doesn't want to post additional details on a public forum until after the situation is resolved.

Wisbucky - I appreciate the reminder that everything at Disney is not 100% magical, and am willing to wait for the "rest of the story". Hopefully, you'll still be willing to share it when the time is right.

Best wishes -

cvemom
07-22-2004, 07:05 AM
No, not a steak knife. It was a untility knife with the blade fully extended.:mad:

Laura24
07-22-2004, 07:32 AM
my first reaction was "Why would anyone leave cash anywhere other than on them or in a safe"? It's not traceable, looks like everyone else's cash so it can't be identified and not easy to prove it even existed? A sorry situation, with a lesson to be learned. Can't trust anyone, no matter where you are. Sad, but true. :( Hope you get some type of a positive end result.

Beca
07-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by jctwizzer

Not from Wisbucky...I don't know how often you are on these boards, but she is a "trusted" source.

:wave:

Beca

barb45
07-22-2004, 07:40 AM
It's unfortunate that you can be a victim of crime anywhere even the "happiest place on earth". My wallet was stolen at CHURCH and then about 1 year later my guitar was stolen at church. No place is safe!!

PamOKW
07-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by barb45
It's unfortunate that you can be a victim of crime anywhere even the "happiest place on earth". My wallet was stolen at CHURCH and then about 1 year later my guitar was stolen at church. No place is safe!!

That's really the bottom-line. As hard as Disney may try to protect it's guests, in today's world it impossible to provide 100% protection.

Those of us who live or work in cities may have more street smarts. The church example is a good one. Around my home (which is a suburb of NYC) women still generally leave their purses on the floor or pew during mass and many don't take them with them up to Communion. This is a big no-no if attending mass at St. Patrick's in NYC. You better know where your purse is at all times. Keep a firm grip on it throughout the entire mass. St. Patrick's = tourists = thieves. Same when dining out -- know where that purse is and it better not be hanging off the back of the chair.

WDW is beautiful but we need to behave as if we were staying in a big city hotel because it is tourist attraction for people from around the world.

OneMoreTry
07-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Disney apparently has a large amount of crime taking place on their property. They would prefer to keep it all quiet.

They have 60,000 employees plus thousands of contract employees and hundreds of thousands of guests on property every day. I would imagine a large amount of crime takes place. I'm actually amazed that after all the trips I've taken to WDW I've never been a crime victim there -- leaving stuff in strollers and on chairs at pools.

Next time carry small amounts of cash and use an ATM as needed. Keep a spare credit card (separate account) in case you lose your wallet and have to cancel your primary one.

And never put all your eggs in one basket.

CarolA
07-22-2004, 08:33 AM
A couple of thougts.

If you lock your luggage and the locks are not TSA approved take them off before you check the bags. Or the TSA is liable to destroy the zipper when they decide to inspect.

Bag handlers are often NOT employees of the airline you fly. At a lot of airports, the airlines either contract with a service and/or "rent" from the major carrier there. (I mean if you fly one flight a day into Orlando, you are not likely to have a full staff hanging around waiting)

Checked bags should not have cash, jewerly or electronics. The airlines will do NOTHING is those are lost. They will however replace you clothing!

Your 'super secret' hiding place for your cash has probably been used by 100s of people and the scam artists are on to it!

When I travel out of the country I use a waist bag. This fits UNDER my clothing and would be very hard to get too. This way my passport and spare credit card are on me at all time. If you feel the urge to carry lots of cash maybe this would work, but WEAR it inside your clothes. (I see people wearing the neck pouches on the outside a lot, that is just asking for a grab and go!)

If yo do give money to a CM for safekeeping, get a receipt!

while I am not saying the OP is out for anything Disney is a great target. I was reading the resturant board just the other day about some family who was going from fast food place to fast food place trying to pull a scam (claiming that the clean up staff took away their food before it gotten eaten to get free food!)

OneMoreTry
07-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by dianeschlicht
Yikes! This sounds like it was taken from the safe! I think you DO have a case here! Hope it all turns out for the best.

If it was in the safe then I believe WDW WOULD be responsible. Wouldn't they?? I think the hotel would have been more concerned than they were.

Johnnie Fedora
07-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Sorry to hear about what happened. I hope you recieve an appropriate solution. Please post more details when you are able to.

As far as "trolls" goes, there are more than one type. Some may be "pixie dust trolls". They post on the DIS in order to cast doubt on the legitamacy of any negative Disney thread.::yes::

lightningcoach
07-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Okay maybe I am living in a fantasy world, but by Disney offering to store luggage for you, doesn't that seem to mean that you will get all of your valuables back. Does it say on a luggage check ticket that they are not liable?

What if I get my luggage back and some CM with a freaky fetish steals all my underwear? Is Disney liable or am I forced to buy Goofy fruit of looms for $50 a pair?

I understand to have your cash on you, but I still think Disney was being shady in their handling of things. Of course they don't want Orange County or any other outside entity involved because then there is a public records report of it. They want WDW to be a true fantasy land where nothing bad ever happens and people are happy they just dropped $3 for a water. That takes real work.

KAMLEM
07-22-2004, 12:26 PM
We were at the Grand Californian last week and the luggage ticket said that there should be nothing valued at more than $250. Of course I noticed that after DH let them walk off with my laptop, 2 cameras and a brand new DVD camcorder. You don't even want to hear how the conversation went once I found that out.

B'rer Karen
07-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by RweTHEREyet
not entirely true. You can lock your checked bags as long as you stay in the area where it is going thru the scanner. They ask that you be available to open your luggage with your key if it does not pass inspection going thru the scanner. We stand and watch ours go thru security before we head to the gate. At least this is what we experienced last Fall and again this Spring.

Actually, that's not entirely true either. I have done this many times here (at RDU) and in Orlando, and in Las Vegas, but when I fly through Cleveland, they don't let me do it. Last time I tried was flying back after Christmas. I asked about it and they said no. I said, "I can't even wait while it's screened to see if you need me to unlock it?" They said no, that it was not allowed to be locked.

I have a couple problems with this, 1) why can't we have the same set of standards everywhere so we know what to expect? 2) If we're not allowed to lock our bags, how are we to protect ourselves from theft? I try and carry anything really really valuable in my carry-on, but you are limited in the size of your carry-on so I can only take so much with me. Then if something does get stolen they'll say that they're not liable. That ticks me off.

Hopefully Cleveland is the only airport like this.

Miffy2003
07-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Dear Wisbucky,

What awful things to have happened to you while on vacation. I do hope the situation resolves itself for you (and that you are feeling better after your kidney stone trouble).

Thank you for taking the time to share this with everyone, I appreciate you doing this.

Best wishes,

Karen

TiggerFreak
07-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way.

I never leave anything of value with bell services.
After 20 years in the locksmith industry, I saw all manner of suposedly "trusted" people commit larceny, big and small.
Even members of the locksmith profession have been caught with their hands in the proverbeal cookie jar. Yes, it is a sad cmmmentary on humanity, but there will always be those who feel it is their calling to make their way in this would by preying on the hard earned rewards of those who are trusting in others.

Hope you never let this happen to you again.

3DisneyNUTS
07-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by goofy4tink
While a steak knife in my sheets would be 'better' than a sportsman's knife, I have to wonder how any knife could end up in the sheets, since they are supposed to be changed with each guest. I would hate to think the DVC resorts aren't changing the linens after each room is emptied.

EEEEEWWWWWW OMG was so fixated on the knife I did not think it meant they did not change the sheets EWWWWWWW

3DisneyNUTS
07-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by cvemom
No, not a steak knife. It was a untility knife with the blade fully extended.:mad:

OMG OMG! Thank God the kiddos weren't hurt OMG!

crisi
07-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Unless that means that the knife was left there by housekeeping or someone else with access to the room post housekeeping....i.e. housekeeping did change the sheets, the knife came along later.

bounceytigger
07-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Wow...That's a heck of an experience to have to go through--especially at a place that's supposed to leave us with only happy memories!

Thanks so much for posting this, Wisbecky...without a doubt, I'll rethink what I hand over to someone to "watch" at a hotel now. My own upbringing has probably taught me to err on the side of being too trusting....I think it's time that mindset is altered a bit!

The thought that Disney has all this random crime taking place that is literally being swept under the rug is pretty disturbing, as far as I'm concerned. I realize they need to maintain a feeling of safety for people--and too much publicity of these crimes could jeopardize that...but THIS is ridiculous! How in the world can they seem so callous and un-caring about the whole situation---there's NO excuse for that, IMHO.

I sincerely hope you get some resolution to this whole ordeal, and that your future trips to Disney are memorable for good reasons!!

--Sarah

3DisneyNUTS
07-23-2004, 05:57 AM
you know I agree with how petty crimes are handled by Disney. They can never know what is authentically a crime and what is not so if everytime someone misplaced their wallet but said it was stolen made the news then it is not fair to Disney they have to protect their image. BUT what I don't agree with is how they handle the tragedy that happens at the park like deaths, major injuries etc.

ClarabelleCow
07-23-2004, 10:43 AM
FWIW, I think some may have missed the fact that she doesn't want to post additional details on a public forum until after the situation is resolved.

This is an awful thing to have to experience while on vacation, especially the stones. Now don't take this as bashing, but by posting what happend and not able or willing to give all the facts, has just opened up a huge can or worms.

My suggestion to all, is if you have a bad experience, and can't or don't want to give out all the facts, then wait to post until you can. Once you are comfortable and have all the facts, please post, because with all the good Disney has to offer, there are bad circumstances, and they should be addressed.

Jillpie
07-23-2004, 11:28 AM
I am completely missing something here. After reading 6 pages of this thread, I haven't really seen anyone ask the OP the simple question......Why did you seperate from your cash in the first place?? And why did you hand it over to someone else for "safe keeping"? Why all the secrecy about this cash and why post the whole situation for 60,000 people to all wonder about? :confused:

TwirlerGirl
07-23-2004, 11:34 AM
ClarabelleCow, I'm in the middle of the road on this one. I'm glad to get the warning or reminder to be extra careful when checking luggage. We are usually in Disney mode at that point which can blur the mind. If I were going to WDW in the next few weeks the warning is appropriate. But I can understand how things can get out of hand, open a can of worms. We need to be careful how we react to this type of infomation especially without all the details.

Sandy

KAMLEM
07-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by TwirlerGirl
I'm glad to get the warning or reminder to be extra careful when checking luggage.

I would agree except that the OP says that the money was not even in the luggage. I think all of the secrecy in this post has led people to make false assumptions because the facts aren't all there.

ClarabelleCow
07-23-2004, 12:49 PM
twilrgirl - I'm in the middle of the road on this one. I'm glad to get the warning or reminder to be extra careful when checking luggage.

I agree with you but I get the impression the money was not in the luggage, so where was it??? Maybe the front desk safe? Who knows, that is why I questioned why post this until they are able to give all the facts!

jarestel
07-23-2004, 01:01 PM
It's amazing how often people blame victims for being the victims of crime. Maybe it makes us feel safer to think crime only happens when someone "asks for it", but it's a little disappointing to read all of these "it's your fault" posts. I'm sure the OP would have done things differently knowing what they know now, but pointing out how "we" are so smart and would have done things differently doesn't help anyone at this point. That's my opinion anyway and obviously I'm not in the majority here. wisbucky, I hope everything works out for you. Best wishes!

ncmvp
07-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Wisbucky

Hope you are feeling better and that your situation gets resolved soon.

Thank you for the heads up. We always have to be on or guard I guess.

I just want to add that last year before our cruise we stayed at VWL. We were given a HA room without a safe. Since we were going on a cruise I had jewelry that I would normally not take on Vacation, we also had extra cash and passports. I went to the front desk were they helped me to get my things into a safety deposit box. I had to fill out a card with the exact contents to be deposited, myself and the castmember had to sign off on the card that I was in fact depositing these Items. I was given a receipt. Several days later when we were checking out I went to retrive the items. I felt the whole transaction went very smooth and was very professional. I felt like I was dealing with a major banking institution instead of the WL. I would not hesitate to do this again.

PamOKW
07-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by jarestel
It's amazing how often people blame victims for being the victims of crime.

I don't think anyone blames the OP for what happened. The experience is being cited as an example or warning to others so that it might not happen to them. However, unless we get further clarification, I'm not sure that the blame can be placed on Disney either. We assume a certain amount of risk when we leave our cars, baggage, etc. When leaving real valuables, the safety deposit box is the way to do it.

Forever a Princess
07-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi there!

I am so sorry that your cash was stolen!

We had our camcorder stolen on a previous trip.

Making all those phone calls and filling out the report paperwork is quite the hassle. Very unmagical in my opinion.

It stinks to have a crime happen to you when you are on vacation on what is supposed to be the most magical place on earth.

The best of luck to you in your endeavor to sort this all out.

My advice to you is to go back to Disney as soon as you can. Replace the magic so to speak and never look back.

Crime can happen to any of us, anytime anywhere. Disney is no exception.

Best regards to you!
Reneeprincess:

jarestel
07-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by PamOKW
I don't think anyone blames the OP for what happened. The experience is being cited as an example or warning to others so that it might not happen to them. However, unless we get further clarification, I'm not sure that the blame can be placed on Disney either. We assume a certain amount of risk when we leave our cars, baggage, etc. When leaving real valuables, the safety deposit box is the way to do it.

My point was that reading the OP's story was sufficient warning to anyone else. Posting "what I would have done" just sounds like ego stroking to me. It's not exactly difficult to say what a better course of action would have been AFTER a situation happens. And I don't recall the OP asking for advice on how to better handle the situation next time. I'm not placing blame on anyone. Thieves can be anywhere.

CarolAnnC
07-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Please refrain from the argumentative posts here.

I have to agree with the thought one cannot present only a portion of the facts and expect unquestioning support from the internet community.

Perhaps if the OP can enlighten us as to where the money was left, then it would clear up the matter here.

I believe the Front Desk safe is the only place one can actually leave cash and be assured of its safety. Please use Travelers Checks or go with the credit card method instead of bringing all your trip money as cash. Very risky anywhere nowadays. IMHO.

RamVA
07-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Well, I have at least one idea of why OP may have been separated from their cash, although this is just my experience.

On first and last day, when my room is not yet ready to check in, and when storing luggage, I am never sure of the safest place for my cash!! If it's the first day, and I have lots of cash, (there have been trips where I just didn't plan well enough to get to the bank to get the traveller's checks-hence large amount of cash) I have been very wary of taking all that cash with me to the parks! I have definitely left cash in my purse, in my luggage in the luggage room, never even thinking for a minute that it might be stolen!!! Naive????? I guess so; just never gave any thought that those oh so friendly luggage guys at OKW could actually be thieves!! And guess what???? It never occurred to me that there would be a safe available at the front desk!!! And I'm sure you are all thinking, "duhhh", LOL!

Now, a question for a previous poster -- why are places beginning to refuse to take American Express traveller's checks??

And finally, everyone is focusing on why OP left cash unattended, when I believe the point of the post is to make it known their impressions of how Disney reacts to crime happening on property, and the lack of cooperation at the front desk in helping them to get some cash by cashing a personal check --very inhospitable.

Just my .02:wave2:

Kick it up a notch!
07-23-2004, 03:26 PM
If you ask me, the victim here is Disney. Everyone is quick to hold them responsible for the actions of others. The only safe place for your cash is in your pocket or in the bank. My parents tought that to me when I was young and I teach that to my children and hopefully they will pass that on to their children. I am sorry that you lost that money, but it sounds like you trusted someone you should not have trusted. If this was not in your luggage, then one can reasonably assume it was given to someone to hold as a valuable and that is like holding up a sign "prime for the picking" I am not chastising you, on the contrary, I feel for your loss and empathize with your situation, but it is evident that the money was in a non secure place and that is what led to it's disappearance. If it were left in a secure place, someone could have been held accountable for it's loss. I hope you have better luck next time on your vacation.

goldilocks_63
07-23-2004, 05:08 PM
"I don't think anyone blames the OP for what happened. The experience is being cited as an example or warning to others so that it might not happen to them. However, unless we get further clarification, I'm not sure that the blame can be placed on Disney either. We assume a certain amount of risk when we leave our cars, baggage, etc. When leaving real valuables, the safety deposit box is the way to do it. "

My family has had a safety deposit box robbed, of all places, in a bank. Very expensive jewelry was taken. Unfortunately, all you can do is make it unlikely to be robbed.... But nobody is completely safe, even at Disney.

Sorry for your loss.

Please let us know if you think of some constructive way we can help you, other then endless commentary and b-------.

Goldi

Dean
07-23-2004, 05:28 PM
As noted, this is strange. For Disney to be liable, you'd have to PROVE something happened within their direct control. The OP left themselves open fo questioning by being so secretive and not being willing to provide facts. Since they voluntarily posted the thread, that alone bothers me. They should not have posted if not willing to share the pertinent facts. At this point no one here knows what we're being warned about. It if was in the safe and can be proven it was taken by an employee, there might be recourse. Or if it could be proven it was taken by an employee Disney knew or should have know was a problem, there might be a case. But you'be got to prove it, not just be convinced it happened. That means eye witnesses, cameras or the like. The fact it was there where one left it, wherever it was left, then not there when whatever was picked up, proves NOTHING.

Kadorto
07-23-2004, 10:08 PM
.There is something very screwy going on here If you look at OP's profile she claims to be a police officer. If that were true...first, one would think that she would be a bit savvier on how to safe guard valuables. Secondly, she would have known that filing a report with hotel security is not the same as an official police report. Lastly, although she has posted elsewhere in other DIS forums lately, she hasn't responded to the overwhelming response on this thread. I'm not sure why WIS posted the story to begin with. Maybe a troll or just having fun trying to see how many posts the thread will generate. Whatever the reason I wouldn't put a lot of faith in her story.

On a lighter side, even if her story is a fraud, we should thank WIS for bringing personal security into the spotlight. Even though I doubt her story the underlying message is important. In 2004 nowhere is safe. Especially on vacation where people want to forget about problems and are in a relaxed atmosphere. Unfortunately, when we let our guard down the chances of being a victim increase dramatically. Has nothing to do with Disney but more with the world that we live in. Disney has one of the best security programs and I have been impressed with the amount of resources they devote to this area. Additionally, quite a few of their security officers are retired police officers. So there is a lot of law enforcement experience down there

manning
07-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Use a money belt. Or a money pouch that hangs around the neck. My mother always favored dairy incorporated bank. At least that is what she called it.

disneycrazed139
07-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Sorry this happened. I can imagine what a nightmare it must have been. However, and I do understand you are a victim of a crime here, there really wouldn't be anything that Disney could do, as theft is a matter for the police. Had Disney confronted this suspect, they wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on for doing so. And, as others have said, theft of cash is a problem anywhere if it's not in your own pocket.

bounceytigger
07-24-2004, 01:33 AM
There is something very screwy going on here. If you look at OP's profile she claims to be a police officer.

The OP doesn't claim to be a police officer anywhere in her post....

Agreeing with what another poster stated, the OP's frustration seems to be more with how the situation was handled by Disney, and it sounds like she just needed a place to vent her frustrations overall! I'm sure she'll fill us all in once she's able.

Or then again, given the responses thus far, maybe she won't feel up to filling us in!!!! LOL
:sunny:

Kadorto
07-24-2004, 01:37 AM
Profile For wisbucky Search for all posts by this user.

Date Registered: 01-06-2004
Total Posts: 384 (1.93 posts per day)
Last Post: 07-22-2004 02:42 PM
duct tape?
Contact wisbucky: Click here to email wisbucky
Send wisbucky a Private Message!
Homepage:
ICQ Number:
AOL Instant Messenger Handle:
Yahoo Instant Messenger Handle:
Referrals 0
Birthday March 17, 1967
Biography If only I could live in Magic all the time I could live forever
Location wisconsin
Interests football, volleyball and DISNEY
Occupation police officer
Gender f
Add wisbucky to Your Buddy List Add wisbucky to Your Ignore

hi bouncy crazy cat with stripes
The above is a copy of her profile...she says shes a police officer

dyingtodisney
07-24-2004, 01:49 AM
During our trip to SSR in June I lost my adult room key with charge privileges and my hubby freaked! I called the front desk to have them "cancel" it and told them I was concerned if anyone found the key they could charge whatever to it, basically I wanted to report that it was lost so I wouldn't be responsible if there was a spending spree. The lady at the front desk acted like I was a complete moron and said "that has never happened here". I thought that was a little rude of her to assume that everyone staying on disney property were saints and I was a paranoid freak...

bounceytigger
07-24-2004, 01:50 AM
Ah ha! I stand corrected, Kadorto! :sunny:

I'd still rather give her the benefit of the doubt, though....I feel a bit badly for her having to be raked over the coals by everyone, on top of having kidney stones! Maybe one day we'll actually get the whole story... Meanwhile, the drama continues!

Mark099
07-24-2004, 01:58 AM
Thank you for sharing your terrible tale. I just confirms why I am so paranoid about having valuables while staying in hotels. We always use the safe.

I realize that Disney will not replace the cash, but during our last vacation in June we had some administration and customer service issues. Without going into details, let's just say we were inconvenienced on more than one occassion. The hotel manager was very willing to hand out one-day UPHs. We settled on 9 of them for a value of almost $450. It means that on our next vacation we won't have to spend any money on theme park tickets.

Kadorto
07-24-2004, 02:14 AM
bounceytigger,

Sure you would like to give her the beneift of the doubt...You're a nice person who just happens to endear a certain hyperactive orange/black feline. It is nice to see all of the unconditional support on this thread though. That's what makes DIS boards so magical. As for me....maybe I need to quick trip down to WDW for a dose of pixie dust before I can have faith in WIS posts. :earsboy:

bounceytigger
07-24-2004, 02:30 AM
Kadorto, you got a laugh out of me on this one!

Sure you would like to give her the beneift of the doubt...You're a nice person who just happens to endear a certain hyperactive orange/black feline.

Now go get yourself some pixie dust!!! :D
(PS--The hyperactive feline is actually my 2 year-old son's favorite...but the cat kinda grows on you after awhile!!)

Divamomto3
07-24-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Pinnie

pinnie

This is an excellent point...especially now that we can't lock our luggage anymore. Yikes!

mickeys#1fan
07-24-2004, 06:36 AM
I haven't read the long string of replies, so I don't know if this has been brought up or not. WDW isn' t in Orange County's jurisdiction. Osceola County is who should have been called.

sap1227
07-24-2004, 07:20 AM
If I am not mistaken, all of the resorts, except for the AllStars (and maybe AKL) are on Orange County property. The AllStars are in Osecola county (making the tax there a 1/2% higher).

Dean
07-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by bounceytigger
Ah ha! I stand corrected, Kadorto! :sunny:

I'd still rather give her the benefit of the doubt, though....I feel a bit badly for her having to be raked over the coals by everyone, on top of having kidney stones! Maybe one day we'll actually get the whole story... Meanwhile, the drama continues! I don't think the OP has been raked over the coals and is likely getting off easy considering they started this thread and then witheld pertinent details for us to make any real decision on the validity of the complaint. Not only did the the OP withold the details, they did so in one of those "I know a sescret" type of ways. They should not have poted this thread if that was their circumstance. This is coming across as one of those "I left my car running with the keys in the ignition and it was stolen" type of deals. The incident may have happened, I'm not particularly doubting that though others have.

las3888
07-24-2004, 07:48 AM
I'd still rather give her the benefit of the doubt, though....I feel a bit badly for her having to be raked over the coals by everyone, on top of having kidney stones!

I really agree--I just can't believe how this thread is just focusing on whether the story is true, and doubting the credibility of this poster, including the moderator! Let's please be a little neutral here. Now, I know there are some holes here, but we need Wisbucky and only Wisbucky to fill them in. All this other speculation is getting everybody nowhere!

Whether this story is true or not, I still will walk away with this post of feeling that I will probably not check anything with Disney in storage if at all possible. I probably wouldn't have anyways, but it just confirms my intuition. Theft can happen anywhere, anytime, and sorry folks, it DOESN'T surprise me that Disney was less than attentive (if this is true). I'm not saying everybody should follow suit and never check their luggage with Disney - I know some people have no choice, but at least this post should make you think twice and ASK QUESTIONS before you do so. How can this hurt anybody?

I am going to stop reading this thread from this point on because I am just tired of all the FLAMES!

CarolAnnC
07-24-2004, 08:28 AM
I just can't believe how this thread is just focusing on whether the story is true, and doubting the credibility of this poster, including the moderator!

Since I am the only Moderator to have posted to this thread, I assume you mean me. Reread my post and you will not see ANY indication that I have "doubted" the OP.

The OP has chosen not to clarify with more details. Since this thread has turned the way of flaming people, on both sides, and since this is NOT the Debate Board, the topic is now closed.