View Full Version : What would 50 pts at VWL get me?

07-18-2004, 09:27 AM
We currently own 200 pts at SSR. You know how you never have enough points right. ;) I noticed a 50 point VWL resale for $3700. The downside is that they have borrowed and used all the available points so no points (except for 7) are available until 2006.

What would be the reason to buy the contract now with no points available for almost 2 years?

How does 50 points at a different resort help me with the 11 month booking window? My understanding is that you need the entire number of points at that resort to book at the 11 month window, whether it be out front or with banking/borrowing.

Any thoughts or help understanding would be appreciated!

07-18-2004, 09:43 AM
If you want to visit the VWL in early December (when you do need the 11 month window), 50 points would enable you to stay in a studio for a week during that time every other year or a 1 bedroom for 6 nights every third year. (You may have to rent the odd point every so often to keep up the pattern).

IMHO, given that there are no points available until 2006, that contract is priced too high! $3700/50 = $74 per point. If I really, really, really really wanted VWL and couldn't wait, I might consider it if the seller reimburses the cost of dues for 2005 and pays closing costs. I'm assuming the seller has already paid 2004 dues (or will pay the remaining dues for this year).

Best wishes -

07-18-2004, 09:46 AM
I can't see a lot of value to purchasing this contract unless it was for a low price -- in which case Disney will probably exercise ROFR.
The closing costs also factor into a resale.

You are correct that you only get the 11 month window for the points you own at that resort. It would be possible to use 150 points in any one year. You can either alternate trips to the resorts or you might want to combine -- you could do a few nights at VWL and then switch over to SSR.

Buying a small contract at another resort isn't a bad idea. This particular resale seems to be somewhat lacking.

07-18-2004, 09:47 AM
The points since borrowed may give you a slight bargaining edge and you may be able to get a lower than normal per point resale -I'd suggest an offer around $3-$5 less than the going rate for resales at that location and see if they accept. It will more than likely pass ROFR being lower than normal without issue since it cannot be used till 2006 as well. If it doesn't get through ROFR and Disney opts to buy, you can always counter offer and go from there.

As for the booking advantage, you will have none with only 50 points on the contract. You are correct in that you need the full reservation amount to book at the 11 month window unless you are planning on a couple days mid week @ VWL there will be no advantage since your other points are @ SSR.

Good Luck and enjoy the extra points if you decide to pursue this...

07-18-2004, 10:03 AM
We own 50 pts. at VWL so we can get in at Christmastime, maybe we really don't need the 11 month window for accomodations, I know sometimes people get in, but so far, I've known that far out if we will want to use VWL that year.

For a longer stay, we will move to BWV, our other home, and enjoy convenience to MGM and Epcot for their holiday celebrations.

This is probably the only time I'll gladly move during a WDW stay.


PS. With a March use year, we looked at that resale as well. But no, it wasn't worth it to US.

colleen costello
07-18-2004, 01:32 PM
I would LOVE to own 50 points at the Lodge! As DVC grows, folks here say it will be harder and harder to get a room there if you are not an owner. Even a small contract, with banking and borrowing priveleges, will virtually guarantee you a room every other year or so, even at busy times. If you can get a good price, I think the 50-point contract sounds wonderful!

07-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the advice!

I would like to go at Christmas Time for a few days every once in a while.

The only negative thing I have to say about DVC so far is that I am worried about getting a non-home resort, even at the 7 month window. I did buy where I want to stay b/c I do love Downtown Disney and think it would great to be so close, but on occassion, I'd like to try a different resort so I hope that will be possible.

I think we will pass on this contract for now.

07-18-2004, 03:14 PM
60 points are needed for Jan, Sept and the first two weeks of Dec - if you want to stay 5 nights - Sun-thur (leaving on Fri) - I would want at least this many - remember with the closing costs you need to pay a resalers - this would make it hard to be bargin for less points.