PDA

View Full Version : First-timer reveals all-part 3

kirkone
07-08-2001, 08:26 PM
Hey, I'm back to finish this up and unfortunately I do not have anymore "Cathy does room service" stories to tell in this report. So, it is with a little of my dignity still intact that I finish my comments about this fabulous trip and thank all of you who are posting on these boards. Because of all the info. you have shared, we had the time of our life! Since you may just want to scan thru this for topics you are interested in hearing about, this will be the order: 1) Palo's 2)Shows 3)Spa 4) St. Martin and the best day 5) St Thomas 6) CCay 7)Disembarkation 8)When can we do it again!

1) Palo's--atmosphere was great, service was above average, food was excellent, have to agree with others about the choc. soufle--it was OK good just not exceptional. Be open to trying different dishes here. Things I thought I would not have liked surprised me and I loved them. Definitely do brunch! There's just something wonderful about sipping champagne in the middle of the day.We chose Monday for brunch because we wanted to be sure we had our sea legs as it can be rough according to many the 1st few days and Wednesday for the dinner as the ship left St. Thomas.

2) Shows--what we saw we loved! We only went to Hercules, Who wants to be a rich mouse?, and Disney Dreams. I know I can't believe we didn't get to more but it was rare that we had the kids at 8:30 and it just didn't seem as appealing without them and well those deck 4 lounge chairs were really comfortable with a cool one in hand. I was surprised how easy some of the rich mouse questions were but maybe I've been watching way too many Disney movies. Kids of all ages will love this one. Disney Dreams is a don't miss especially for the kids.My mother & father in law went to the magic show one night and didn't enjoy it. We had decided not to go because of what folks from this board had said about it. (Saved by the Dis Boards!)

3)Spa--I spent $400.00 here so I should know. By the way, I loved every minute of it. DH and I had decided way back that we would reserve an inexpensive cabin on ship so we could spend more freely so I have little guilt about this. I had the Elemis face & body trt, a pedicure, and the CCay couple's massages. I was a little dissappointed in the face & body trt because the brochure said the trt lasts 105 minutes but they don't tell you that near the end of the trt they leave you in the room alone for 20-25 minutes to relax. The trt consists of a back,shoulder,leg, & foot massage followed by a facial. I enjoyed it all and hated when she left the room for my relaxation time. Just give me more rubbing baby! Everyone should do the CCay massages if they have the chance. They are $100 a piece but it was pure heaven. Make sure you take pictures here to make all your friends from home jealous!

4)St. Martin--I'm in a real delimia here as to whether or not to tell everyone my secret island hopping hideaway. Just don't want to ruin it you know. Tell you what, if you are totally not interested in spending the day in St. Martin during your 15 hour stay there and you are the adventurous type, email me and I will give you all the details to find paradise for the day. This was the most incredible day of our vacation. The sand was like white sugar and the water devine.

5)St. Thomas--it poured rain off and on so thank God for the glorious beach day on Tuesday. I went shopping and DH took the inlaws and kids to Coki Beach. Coki is a pretty beach and it is a great place to see fish. We had done Coral World before so the kids just snorkeled and beached. Do your shopping in St. Martin if you want to get a better deal. I shopped here because we spent all most all our time in St. Martin at our happy little isl. hideaway.

6)CCay-- This is a beautiful gem of an island. I would have liked more time to walk around and enjoy it more. I was dissappointed with how murky the water became when 2000 people jumped in.The snorkeling is really poor we thought compared to other places we've been but it could have something to do with all those people. The kids enjoyed the club activities here and the lunch was good. The worst part is that you feel a bit close to one another on the family beach and the lines are very long for the floats, snorkel vests which are required. DS 8 yo did the banana boat ride with grand ma and really loved it. DH and I thought the best part was the adult side of the island where it appeared deserted and the water was alot clearer.

7)Disembarkation--Nothing to it! We were off that boat in 10 minutes. Way too fast if you ask us but we just didn't want it to be over.

8)Final Thoughts--Disney has started a good thing here and I hope all of you thinking of trying that 1st cruise will give it a whirl. Thanks for all the help we were given in preparing for this 1st cruise. I know we could not have lived without the over the door shoe rack. If I can answer any questions please just shout them out. And my last small piece of advice is to never answer the door nacade unless you're absolutely sure it's the hubby on the other side. Keep on cruizin, Cathy

SingingMom
07-08-2001, 08:42 PM
Hi Cathy!
I'm new on the site and even newer to "cruising". We leave on Saturday - would you be kind enough to email your suggestions for a beach in Saint Maarten? I am such a BEACH PERSON and we (me, dh,dd(7)) aren't thrilled with the prospects of "clothing optional" Orient Bay.

Also - do you have any information on "Tea With Wendy"? (Days, times, how to make reservations?)

Your reports were great!

my email is SingItMa@aol.com

Thanks! Renee

cjhardin
07-08-2001, 09:11 PM
Hi

I'm also a first timer..going in 4-02 on the 7 day Magic...I'd love to know the name of the beach because we love beaching it.

thanks

Amy
cjhardin@bellsouth.net

winnyis
07-09-2001, 07:56 AM
we wil be on the 9/1/01 Magic

winnyis@aol.com

Thanks

DuncanLL
07-09-2001, 08:13 AM
Please let me know about the beach you found. French side or Dutch?

Linda

akasleepingbeauty
07-09-2001, 10:46 AM
Thanks Cathy for the great trip report. I so enjoyed reading about your adventures - too bad we didn't have a chance to talk about them in person. We are hoping to return (I'd like sooner but dh thinks later - lol!) and I hope I have another great group of DISers to share the planning and fun with.

I'll have to find out some of the details from you on your private paradise in case we ever return. Sounds intriguing.....

chrisn
07-09-2001, 05:33 PM
Would love to know all the details regarding your hideaway in St. Martin. Most people say that St. Martin was their least fave island and describe it negatively so I am always really interested when I read a report such as yours. Please e-mail me chrisn@mcoffice.com

52plan4
07-09-2001, 08:44 PM
Would love to know about your secret island-hopping hideway,up until now I've been a bit unenthusiastic about options in St. Martin, now you've peeked my curiosity!please E-mail me KKMOrand@aol.com
Thank-you:D

happylady
07-10-2001, 06:42 AM
Thanks you so much for the great trip report. As my husband sat next to me reading, he said "What's the thing about room service?" LOL I explained.....more LOL
We too have decided to just explore on our own, so I would love some help and ideas. Please email me at:

plk1981@aol.com

Thanks again,

kamgen
07-10-2001, 09:03 AM
Loved your trip reports!! :)

Please tell me about your "hideaway"! :)

kamgen@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Kamy

http://gennaroworld.topcities.com

minniesmom
07-10-2001, 01:46 PM
Your trip reports were very entertaining!! Please email me with the island hideaway!! We are going in October.

melanieelder@yahoo.com

Thanks, Minnie
:D

TinkHappy
07-10-2001, 02:05 PM
What a great trip report, thank you very much for taking the time.
I WOULD love to know about your great St. Martin getaway, it sounds wonderful. If you wouldn't mind sharing with me...TracyMCT@aol.com

fan of the mouse
07-10-2001, 09:55 PM
"loved the trip report".....ditto
"loved the room service story"....ditto
"wasn't impressed with the options at St. Martin"...ditto

"love to know the secret locale".....ditto

Thanks.....our family goes in December...our first time, too!

redeagle313@aol.com

Swimmermom
07-11-2001, 09:49 AM
This is my first post and first cruise (Aug 4). Needless to say I am very excited and a bit nervous. I have certainly appreciated your trip reports! Please e-mail me with the details of your secret beach. It sounds wonderful.

cheetob@execpc.com

disneynutsss
07-11-2001, 07:20 PM
Hi! Would love to know about your secret beach! First time cruiser here (dh, ds7) sailing on 8/25!!

disneynutsss@excite.com

CBAGGS
07-11-2001, 09:17 PM
Hi,
I loved reading your trip reports. We are sailing the Magic July 28th. It would be great if we knew your secret spots in St.Matrin. pol5341@aol.com
Thanks

MINNIE105
07-12-2001, 02:50 PM
Your trip reports were great, we (DH, DS 5yo, DD 9yo and myself) are on the Aug 4, 7day. I can not figure out what to do in St. Marten, I'm not a big shopper, but the family loves the beach, please e-mail me with your hideaway place information.

E-mail: Tracey.Hager@ubsi-wv.com

Thanks

LindaBabe
07-12-2001, 07:57 PM
laughed out loud! I can see his face now! I too would love your secret for St . Martin. careermavn@aol.com

threeboysmom
07-13-2001, 03:18 PM
I really enjoyed reading all of your trip report. We are first-timers too (well, not until September 2002)....

Cathy, I just had to laugh so hard after reading your room service story and then remembering the title of your trip report - "First timer reveals all" - Cathy, you really did reveal all !

candygold
07-14-2001, 05:46 PM
Hey! I loved reading your trip report.
Please tell me about your secret hide-a-way.

Thanks, Nancy candygold@webtv.net

eller
07-18-2001, 08:48 PM
Hi, Cathy:

I really enjoyed your trip report. Too funny! At first I didn't think we would be interested in your secret island, but I've reevaluated what we are going to do on St. Maartin. I would love to know where your secret island is.

Please e-mail me at eller14@home.com.

Thanks,

Lori

6/1997 Off site, 2/2000 Off site, 2/2001 Poly, 10/2001 FQ, AKL & Magic

IowaMom
07-18-2001, 09:59 PM
Cathy,thanks for your reports they have been great fun to read as well as informative.
Your room service story was great. I would love to know about your day on St. Martin
I have been looking for another option. Thanks Sherry slove85772@aol.com

Blu eyz235
07-19-2001, 01:06 AM
AWESOME report! got us veeery excited for our magical cruise is 16 days! :) found the room service story quite amuzing! glad to hear how much fun u guys had! if u had time we would love to hear about ur sercret place u discoverd. sonds fun! didnt find st. martin to be that exciting last time! e-mail is : blueyz235@aol.com
thanks!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

jbusch
07-20-2001, 03:31 PM
Loved your report!! Please send me the info about your island hopping adventure. We have been to St Maarten before and I think I know where you went and are considering doing the same!! My e-mail address is djbbusch@chibardun.net.

Thanks in advance!!

gordondo
07-21-2001, 11:24 AM
Cathy:
Great report!
We're going on our first Disney Cruise on the Magic on 8/18.
I must know the secret hideaway on St. Marteen.
Please e-mail me at:
DonG70279@aol.com
Thanks.
Don

bunnymkc
07-21-2001, 10:20 PM
So glad you had a great time and your trip reports were so funny and informative also....please e-mail bunnymkc@hotmail.com
with the secret hideaway...we are going on the 11/24th sailing...TIA Marianne

needabreak!
07-21-2001, 11:20 PM
Could you let us in on your secret? We are planning on having our beach day on St. Martin--shopping St. thomas!

Much appreciated!
Needabreak!

clevland@midohio.net

Tash
07-22-2001, 10:46 PM
Hello, I would love to know your seceret too :0)

gordondo
07-23-2001, 08:26 PM
Cathy:
You're keeping many of us in suspense!
When will we find out the location of the secret beach!
:bounce: :bounce:

susanf31
07-25-2001, 02:47 PM
Aren't you getting tired of emailing all of these people!?!?!?!? Just tell us, PUHLEEESSSSEEEEEEEEEEE. We all promise to never tell anyone outside of this thread!! ;)

leslieh
07-27-2001, 06:03 PM
me too, please send me info on the beach. We did a lot to get to Trunk Bay, but we made it on our own. 7/7/01 Magic. lescas@hotmail.com

thanks

It may be easier just to spill the beans than to answer this many posts. You opened a whole area here.

:)

trishy
07-28-2001, 03:30 PM
does this reflect the lack of good options on St. Maarten or what? I too was disappointed in this island and would be just as happy to spend 2 days in St. Thomas instead of stopping in St. Maarten at all. However, you could have possibly changed my mind. Email: larjac@pe.net for info on a positive experience in St. Maarten. I, too had a wonderful time, but ours was in St. Thomas - an excursion we did on our own. Be happy to share our experience with you in return if you're interested.
PS. Enjoyed reading your trip report :p
Trish

famof6
07-29-2001, 11:16 PM
We will also be first timers this Oct. Plan on doing a beach in St. Marten and would love to find out about your secret location please email me at

cjl0622@gateway.net

Thanks! Can's wait to go!

RGRANDY
07-30-2001, 08:19 PM
Hi

Great trip report. We are first time Disney cruisers and this will be our childrens first cruise too. This is my husbands and I, 3rd cruise and we are really looking forward to sharing cruising with our 2 sons, DS 10 and DS 1. Which will make for an experience in itself, because of the age difference.

And just like the others we want to know about that secret island you found.... Based on all the responces to your secret hideaway looks to me you might be better off just sharing it right here on the boards. Smile!!!!!!!

Our Email site: RGRANDY216@AOL.COM

We also would love to know more about that Banana Boat Excurision. I think my son would love it... But what I would like to know is how dangerous is it.

Happy Cruising everyone.

Ron and Von

:bounce:

DCL 12/01 Can't Wait
Carnival Truimph 3/30/01
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 7/00

GoofyDisney
08-06-2001, 07:07 PM
Wow. What a great report for a first-timer. We will also be first-timers in Sept. We are really, WAY TOO excited. I am now finding myself just reading the boards for fun in anticipation of our trip. I gather what info I can, print it and put it into a folder. My folder is bulging and yet I look for more!

I enjoyed your report. I too would love to know about your secret beach. Please email me, kpace@freeway.net

I laughed at your room service story.

I appreciate the time people have put into these boards. We are like you, we feel more prepared just because we are hooked into these DIS boards.

Thanks for sharing your trip.

badger5
08-06-2001, 09:40 PM
Curiosity killed the cat. Please let me in on the secret!!

Shinners@newnorth.net

TheCastaways
08-12-2001, 07:19 PM
hey!! i would love to hear more about St.Martin. also, what info do you have about the tumblers? can you use them from one cruise to the other? plus what is the deal with the postcards that give you $50 dollars off? how do you get them, are they per person or room? do they really exist or was i misinformed?
bob.fischer@verizon.net

:bounce:

ac2866
08-14-2001, 02:27 AM
I've been to St. Maarten/ St. Martin three times and I love it! It is one of my favorite vacation spots. Please let me in on your secret spot as well. I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.

:bounce: I'll be eagerly awaiting your reply!

gbrendle
08-14-2001, 08:56 AM
Hi! I know it's been a while since you first mentioned your secret beach hideaway in St. Martin. Hope I can still get in on the secret! My e-mail address is:
gbrendle@aol.com[/email].
Thanks!

ac2866
08-14-2001, 05:08 PM
I forgot to give you my e-mail address to let me in on your secret beach in St. Martin. My e-mail is ac2866@yahoo.com.

TheCastaways
08-18-2001, 09:02 PM
hi , could you please let us know where your secret place is....we are REAL beach people .. and would love to compare all our travels ; maybe you fouund the best???? please let us in on it. thanks e- mail...... bob.fischer@verizon.net:pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce: p.s. this will be our 1st cruise on oct. 13th.2001