PDA

View Full Version : Cash... Take it or not??

maximom
06-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Room is paid for and tickets are in hand so how much actual cash should I take with us? I figure just about everything we need from food to gas can be purchased with our debit and or credit cards so why risk taking much cash?

How do you guys do it. I was thinking that I might just cash in the change jar which has about $150 in it and just use the old debit card for everything else. Is this a bad plan or not?

BTW, I can't believe how soon it is until we are THERE!!!!!

powellrj
06-25-2004, 11:54 PM
I think I might take a little more than that because you will have tolls, tips, vending machines and not everyplace will take a debit or credit card. Maybe each of you take $100 in smaller bills.

canwegosoon
06-26-2004, 12:06 AM
There are very few places at WDW that don't take a room card (or cc/debit), they are usually the snack carts that sell small items. I know that you can not get fried dough at Epcot w/o cash:rolleyes: So I did without. I would think $150-200 for cash items/tips/sm. misc exp. for a small family for a week would be fine.

missydisney
06-26-2004, 02:42 AM
I like to take an assortment. Travelers Checks, Credit, Debit and some cash. As you will always come across some place that does not take anything else.

Taja
06-26-2004, 09:06 AM
I generally use traveler's cheques, with back up by debit card and carry about $200 cash, about $50 in smaller bills and some coins for tolls between MCO and WDW.

Keep in mind that I'm overly cautious about some things, and being stranded without money and the banking system out of commission while traveling always lurks in the very back of my mind! I like to have enough cash on hand to cover 24 hours (including room, public transportation and basic necessities), as that is likely to be the longest period for the system to put back-up plans in place.

What can I say? Some people are paranoid about germs, I'm paranoid about being stranded without funds!

Blame in on my mother always reminding me to have a dime for a telephone call when I was out!

crisi
06-26-2004, 09:22 AM
We take a visa card, about $100 in Travelers checks for each day we will be there, and about $100 in cash in our pockets to get us through the airport, tips on the first day, etc. We primarily use the Visa (we actually use our room key and charge back).

We usually put almost all the travelers checks back in the bank. I get them free through my bank, so there isn't any reason not to have them. Safer than cash and nearly as flexible (even the snack carts will take them - just can't tip, etc with them easily).

(Taja, you could be my twin.)

hercamore
06-26-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm like Taja. Worried about not have enuf money, so I take a combo of cash, travel checks, cc's.

Some gas stations in the south are mighty picky about cards. Someitmes easier to use travl checks or cash.

herc.

anditoo72
06-26-2004, 10:09 AM
We always, always take travelers checks. A debit card can get stolen so can cash (how long does it take to replace the card?)While that is true of travelers checks if you have kept your recipt and record seprate from your travelers checks you can get them replaced on the spot. I do plan on using my debit card for gas and some souviners but the bulk of our money is put into travelers checks.

ceecee
06-26-2004, 10:24 AM
We like to charge everything we can, so we can track our spending. We usually take $200.00 and have plenty left. We use cash for snacks and smaller purchases and the game room.

CheapMom
06-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Just got back from a six day stay- Took $100 cash and came back with $61. The only thing I used cash for was tipping housekeeping and bell service, ice cream at MK (because their room card reader was down), change machine in laundry room, and m&ms and a magazine at the airport.

disneychrista
06-26-2004, 01:08 PM
On Disney Trips I take a small amount of cash for popcorn, ice cream, beverage carts etc. Everywhere else take plastic and that is my prefered way to spend.

jann1033
06-26-2004, 11:35 PM
one place i can remember that did not take room card or debit was the crepe kiosk in epcot....i was ticked since we had just used our cash on hand and i really wanted a crepe! most other places we used room charge and only had about $ 300 cash total for an over 2 week trip, including 5 days at vero beach, tolls ect.

HunnyPots
06-27-2004, 12:36 AM
We tried to use our card for everything possible but we had two days where everytime we wanted a drink or ice cream or something, the card machines would be down. Happened at MK and MGM. I think it may have had something to do with electrical storms in the area that day.

maximom
06-27-2004, 04:52 PM
I guess I'll talk to hubby and get his opinion. I really don't want to take an extraordinary amount of cash for fear of it being stolen. I have NO idea how much we will need in tolls and if someone can help me on that I would be grateful. We are flying into Winterhaven airport on a private plane so I'm not sure what tolls we will have to pay from there. As for other day trips we are planning on going to the beach one day but haven't decided which one.

As for tips, we are staying at CP without maid service so no need to worry about that. Rental car so no cab fees, I can't imagine us having dinner anyplace that won't take a debit card and you can always add your tip on the receipt.