PDA

View Full Version : Priceline Hotel Stories

Goingtodisneyworld
06-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Has anyone ever had a bad experience with priceline for hotels ~ thought the room was not worth their bid?

Also, any good experiences?

We are looking at Hilton Head & their highest category is resort, which says in coastal towns this will be on the beach, if so I certainly think this would work for us, I am very afraid of disappointing the family, plz help.

calypso*a*go-go
06-24-2004, 03:24 PM
We won a bid for the Wyndham Orlando. It is supposed to be 3 or 4 star (can't remember) and it looks gorgeous from the outside but the rooms are HORRIBLE!!! We had to be moved three times before we could find a room that was clean enough and didn't need maintenance. Also, we realized after we checked out that my DS had left his Gameboy case with about six or seven games inside. We called immediately and they wouldn't even go look in the room or ask housekeeping if anyone had found it. We knew it was a long shot but really thought someone would at least check into it.

Our reservation was over Thanksgiving weekend. I should have known anything that wasn't already booked must have a reason why. :rolleyes:

2minnies
06-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Check out www.biddingfortravel.com. Even if you don't ask for bidding assistance, there is a lot of information regarding hotels that come up in bidding and many reviews.

We have had booked priceline rooms over a dozen times and have never been disappointed in the quality or have been treated like second class citizens...except to have a front desk staff member announce our rate in astonishment!

summerrluvv
06-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Just letting you know that if you book on priceline through the Upromise.com link on your account page (if you have an account) , you get I think 3% of your total purchase in your upromise account :)

powellrj
06-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 2minnies
Check out www.biddingfortravel.com. Even if you don't ask for bidding assistance, there is a lot of information regarding hotels that come up in bidding and many reviews.

We have had booked priceline rooms over a dozen times and have never been disappointed in the quality or have been treated like second class citizens...except to have a front desk staff member announce our rate in astonishment!

We have used priceline and have never been disappointed with the rooms we have gotten. Biddingfortravel is a wonderful place to learn to use priceline. I would never have gotten the nerve to use it without the help of this site. Make sure you read EVERYTHING before you post.

summerrluvv
06-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by powellrj
We have used priceline and have never been disappointed with the rooms we have gotten. Biddingfortravel is a wonderful place to learn to use priceline. I would never have gotten the nerve to use it without the help of this site. Make sure you read EVERYTHING before you post.

Yes, if you don't read EVERYTHING the moderator of that site will get very nasty with you.

CarolA
06-24-2004, 04:20 PM
I have used Priceline extensively. I have never had a bad hotel room (including the Wyndam Palace in Disney) I have read up on the HH hotels and I think they would be fine. (I was hoping to get down there for a weekend, but it didn't work out)

Another site that is friendlier, but not quite as comprehensive is www.betterbidding.com

As for www.biddingfortravel.com I just let the mod yell at me. Who cares? I don't know her!

olbear
06-24-2004, 08:15 PM
we always use priceline. I've stayed at DTD Best Western for $25 a night!! Days Inn across the street for $20 a night. etc etc.

The only bad experience was Park Inn. YUCK!!!! the one next to water park on 192 east. Horrible. I called priceline when we got home and told them our experience. I asked them to remove this one from their choices. Rug, sheets, pillowcases dirty. No coffee pot, no toaster, no hair dryer, all of which were to be in room.

Otherwise, I am quite happy with my results from priceline.

madelyn
06-25-2004, 03:11 AM
Had great success with Priceline in the past, including my most recent stay at the Dolphin this June for $70/nt. The one disappointment I had was a Wellesley Inn in the Dallas area. However, I went all the way down to a 2-star for that one night stay. The winning bid for only for $25 so I can't complain too much, but the place was a little too worn/slightly dirty for my taste. My general rule of thumb is to bid 3-star or above, especially if the stay is for more than one night. I have been pleased with all my 3-star and above bids.

BonnieA
06-25-2004, 06:13 AM
I've used priceline as much as I can. Stayed in some wonderful hotels that I would never have considered on my own because of the price. I've stayed in places like Baltimore, Gatlinburg, San Francisco and, of course, near Disney. Gotten great hotels like Hyatt, Westin, Sheraton and Doubletree. I usually stick with 3* but went down to 2* in February for Disney because what I read on biddingfortravel made me believe I would get La Quinta Lakeside. That's exactly what I got for $22/night and it was quite acceptable.
I have found that by reading what other people have gotten for the same time frame, there will be a good chance I will get that also (no guarantee of course). But it has worked like that for me. I have no horror stories.

CheapMom
06-25-2004, 06:40 AM
Goingtodisneyworld- great idea for a thread - thanks-
I have only used Priceline once. I bid on one night in Cocoa Beach area for the night before our cruise. I got Holiday Inn Oceanfront for a bid of $40. It has gotten terrible reviews all over the place online. I thought by bidding 3* I would be getting something nice. I have a heard a few positive things but mostly that it is dirty and has bugs. (Haven't stayed there yet0 they are remodeling and I am hoping it will be ok)
I don't think I would use Priceline again unless I was pretty sure of what I was getting by using biddingfortavel.com. Even then there is no guarantee.

By the way- people have been saying 3* or above- do they have a 4* rating on Priceline or only hotwire?

Goingtodisneyworld
06-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Thank you all very much!

I did take a look at biddingfortravel however, just decided to lurk & gather as much info as I could & come over here for a much friendlier atmosphere as she just seemed way too stressed for me!
A) I want to send a HUGE Thank You out to all our Wonderful, Very Friendly moderators & B) She needs a Disney vacation!!!

I am going to go ahead & give priceline a try with what Iíve gathered & will be sure to let everyone know how it goes ~ Does anyone know how long it takes for a response?

CheapMom, I believe it may depend on your destination as to the ratings they offer, HH only had upto a 2 Ĺ and than Resort catergory, not even a 3, I have not yet visited hotwire, if anyone else has any info. jump on in.

Happy Friday!
:wave2:

CarolA
06-25-2004, 07:38 AM
My priceline rule is that I normally only bid on 4 star or resort properties unless I am SURE that I can be happy with anything shown on biddingfortravel in the lower category.

Normally I get a 4 star or resort for less then I would pay for a cheaper hotel. My rule at Disney is that I won't bid more then the All Stars cost for a resort and so far so good.

Tink10
06-25-2004, 08:05 AM
I use both Priceline & Hotwire a lot & the only bad experience that I had was the Grosvenor in DT Disney.

It was, by far, the nastiest hotel/motel I've ever stayed at. Other than that, we loved the Wyndham Palace (nice upgrade to a suite). The Hilton in DT Disney was wonderful too.

So, I also now have a rule that I'll only use Priceline for 4* and above & with Hotwire, I'll only purchase the room if I know exactly what hotel the hotel is.

As far as car & airfare, I can normally find air cheaper than either would offer & cars can still be had on both for pretty good prices.

deltachi8
06-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Never have been dissapointed in a Priceline stay. Have used them for stays in Orlando, Tampa, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Albany and more.

If you use the resources on biddingfortravel.com your "bidding confidence" will be much higher.

Anne34
06-25-2004, 10:42 PM
We used Priceline for a one night stay on Hilton Head at the end of March before checking into our Disney villa. We went with the 4star/resort property category and got the Crowne Plaza hotel. It is a niice hotel right on the beach. There were a few things for the kids to do every day. Also had bike rentals there. Room was clean and nice -- but watch out the toilets flush louder than the ones on a cruise ship -- and the person in the room above us used his every half hour all night long!!!! It didnn't keep the kids awake, but I sure knew everytime they flushed!! We were there on a Sat during Spring break (March 27?) and paid almost $90 including taxes and priceline fee.

jgates
06-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Just remember - you are never guaranteed a room with 2 beds, although I believe most hotels will provide one if available. That's why I have had a reluctance to use it when all 4 of us are travelling. If only 3, then DD could sleep in a sleeping bag.

kilee
06-26-2004, 07:12 AM
I've used priceline in NYC and Orlando multiple times. The one time in Orlando I couldn't get a 3 star to come up--- well I dropped after all my re-bids and I got the Holiday Inn Nikki Bird. It was only $27/nt. Figured I'd give it a try as it had mostly bad reviews but at the time some Diser's had given some recent decent reviews. Also, I've stayed in many Holiday Inn's and they are usually pretty nice and comfortable. Well, to me, this hotel was dirty and grimy and everything I didn't want!!! We stayed as it was only 3 nights. When we got home I had received an email survery from the Holiday Inn Coporate Headquarters. I filled it out rather honestly, exressing my disappointment and the feeling it was more in par with a budget motel like Econolodge. Not even 48 hrs they had refunded all of my money including my priceline fee's. They didn't have to do that as I wasn't looking for a refund. I wouldn't of even complained had they not sent the survey.

Other than that, all of the hotels I've had have been great. Really loved the Sheraton Safari in Orlando for $37/nt!!!

vhoffman
06-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Well, here's my experience with Priceline. We recently bid on a hotel in Waikiki, Hawaii. the hotel we got looked depressing even from their website. We decided just to forget it--it was about $250. We didn't even bother checking in. I figured if it looked depressing from the website, where they're trying to put their best foof forward, its probably even worse when you get there. Well, we were never charged! The charge has never appeared on our bill! Perhaps it will come through at a later date, but if not, that's their problem. Just shows you how poorly run Pricewire is--they don't even collect their own revenue! However, if someone is stung with a lousey hotel like we were, they might just try not showing up and maybe they'll have the luck we did. However, I really think it was just an error on their part. BTW, when we were in Hawaii we happened to drive by it. I couldn't believe it was a hotel--I thought it was some sort of homeless shelter! Really! It was in a crummy area of town we just happened to get lost in. My 7 year old son saw the hotel sign and said "What a crappy hotel!" Glad we decided to pass and stayed at the Hilton. I'd NEVER trust part of my vacation to PL. Don't gamble with your hard-earned vacation dollars. KNOW YOUR HOTEL!!! Just set your sights on where you want to be, dig for the best rates, and save for what you want. Don't get stuck in a "crappy hotel!":tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

vhoffman
06-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Oh, BTW, our "crappy hotel" in Waikiki was a 4 star.

CheapMom
06-26-2004, 08:00 PM
I think it is so funny that you drove by the rejected hotel! I have to agree that it is a gamble and not worth possible screwing up your vacation.
I also say you can't get all worked up about reviews you read online because in 2 posts on this thread people bash 2 hotels that I thought were very nice for the price- Nikki Bird and Grosvenor and there is another thread on this board about the Hilton at DD where people rave about this 4* resort- I stayed there last week and I wouldn't give you two nickels for the place.

inkkognito
06-26-2004, 08:37 PM
I am a major Priceline fan. I use biddingfortravel.com as my guideline, and I've never been unhappy with resort level Lake Buena Vista hotels. We've been at a lot...in the Downtown Disney area, it's been the Hyatt, Hilton, and Wyndham. We also once got the Gaylord, and they upgraded us to a Key West view room. Very cool! But I hate the stupid resort fee they add sometimes...to me, that's a tourist rip-off. I try to figure it in when bidding.
When we cruise, we bid MCO airport hotels and we always do the highest star level (Marriott, Renaissance, and Holiday Inn Select have all been good). We used to bid one level lower and got some nice suite hotels, but we stopped that after being at the SLUM La Quinta twice. Not the La Quinta Suites, but the one on Daetwyler Drive. On one trip, there was no free breakfast as advertised. My husband figured out why when he saw all the workers carrying the food out to their cars! We and another person waited 30 mins. for a desk clerk to come check us out. She said, "Sorry, I had to go feed my kids." The time before that, we were in a "non-smoking" room that connected to a smoking room. The towels absolutely reeking, and I had an allergy attack that lasted all the next day.
Other than that, Bill Shatner has been good to us.
Barb

vhoffman
06-26-2004, 10:14 PM
So I'm not the only one who has had bad experiences staying at La Quintas. We've had the same things happen--non-smoking rooms that reeked of smoke, rooms in disrepair, and non-existent breakfasts. The breakfast consisted of just coffee and a few stale pastries. The other advertised items, such as yogurt, fresh fruit, etc., just weren't there. On the way out my kids noticed a lot of fruit in the sewer drain outside the hotel (?). I figured the employees were eating all they could and taking home the rest. But how does that explain the fruit in the drain? Well, I complained to La Quinta corporate headquarters about a particularly bad stay, and got back a coupon for a free night at a La Quinta. Just what I wanted--another night at the dump! Then I found it wasn't accepted at most of their hotels. I should have sold it on EBay, but I didn't know about EBay then. Its expired now. Well, all the more reason to stay away from Priceline--you might get a La Quinta!:rolleyes:

jann1033
06-26-2004, 10:17 PM
we have had good and bad rooms nationwide with priceline...my biggest gripe was we paid more to priceline than the room should have been according to the hotel ( in additon to the extra priceline fee)and when i told priceline they said "too bad for you, the hotel shouldn't have told you their cost" ... so much for the priceline guarantee! and should you have a problem the customer service reps are horrendous..another time i tried to get a room their website was messed up and the little csr witch refused to talk to me, saying the site was fine ( it wasn't and i had been polite) strike 2, forget them im my book.

Lewisc
06-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by jgates
Just remember - you are never guaranteed a room with 2 beds, although I believe most hotels will provide one if available. That's why I have had a reluctance to use it when all 4 of us are travelling. If only 3, then DD could sleep in a sleeping bag.

NOT A PROBLEM IN ORLANDO, but PL only guarantees a room that will sleep 2. BFT identifies some cities (like NYC) in wich you might have a problem sleeping more than 2. I got 2 different hotels in NYC with just a double bed. In both cases there wasn't room on the floor for a cot and a single sleeping bag would be a tight fit.

KLAIT
06-27-2004, 09:41 AM
I have used Priceline dozens of times and never been disappointed. I have done my research (mostly using www.biddingfortravel.com) and have been able to pinpoint what hotels that I have a chance to get if not exactly what hotels I am going to get.

The whole key to successful Priceline experience is research! My family has been able to stay in some very nice places and a lot more often with Priceline than if we did not use them..

kilee
06-27-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm going to second the research. Without it, it really is a bad choice. I looked into it for almost a month daily before I placed my first ever bid. It really works for some people and for others it just doesn't.

bearzabout
06-27-2004, 11:58 AM
I've stayed 133 nights in hotels using Priceline and have never been disappointed. For me, everything is relative. I am much less critical of a hotel when I am paying a fraction of the going rate. I expect less from a $40/night room than a $100/night room and am less likely to be disappointed.

In Orlando, I switched to Skyauction for stays of 1 week or longer. Condo stays of $37/night are a much better deal than what you can get for Priceline for the same amount of money.

I am so glad my days of staying at low end hotels like Super 8, Econolodges, etc. have come to an end thanks to Priceline. The rooms I get through Priceline are always better than if I paid regular price at a budget hotel.

My last stay with Priceline was at the Hyatt Tamaya Resort in New Mexico. $75/night for a resort rated among the best in the country is a deal. Good research is the key.

CJK
06-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Another big thumbs up for priceline! :) We like to travel a lot and priceline has made it possible. We've gotten 4* hotels right down to 2* hotels and have never been disappointed (in Orlando and parts of Canada). When we book a 2* hotel, we're obviously just looking for a place to sleep and we've had wonderful luck. As others have mentioned, research is the key!!

bartleby1
06-27-2004, 03:42 PM
We used priceline for our last two Orlando trips and were very pleased. We stayed at the Rosen Centre and the Hyatt last summer for roughly $38 per night. My parents decided to join us and got stuck paying $89 for the Rosen Centre and $69 for the Hyatt. In the summer of 2001, we stayed at the Amerisuites for $28 per night (I had $10 bonus money per night). The hotel was only about a year old and was fine for what we needed.

As others have said, doing research is VERY important. Also, it depends on what you will be doing in your hotel. When we take our Florida trips, we do a week in Orlando doing the parks and don't spend much time in our room so it doesn't really matter too much to us what the room is like. However, our second week we head over to the beach and spend alot of time in our room. I don't think I would chance it at the beach, especially since beach hotels can be pretty yucky sometimes.

vhoffman
06-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Insofar as research goes, well, I did my research, on Biddingfor travel and bettertraveling. I followed my research closely, and still wound up with a hotel that looked like a homeless shelter. I, for one, will NEVER trust my hard-earned vacation dollars to an opaque travel reservation agent, such as Priceline. If I wanted to gamble, I'd go to Las Vegas! (but be sure of my hotel!)

Disneyglobegirl
06-27-2004, 06:48 PM
We just returned from a 7 night stay at the Walt Disney World Dolphin that we won on Priceline for $70 a night - it was AWESOME!! I almost felt guilty for staying at this wonderful hotel for such a small price! ALMOST - LOL

I've also used it for New Orleans and had a very pleasant stay at the Convention Center Hilton for $49 a night!!

I wouldn't hesitate to use Priceline again - As of now I am checking out 4 * hotels in the Houston area on Priceline :D

BonnieA
06-27-2004, 07:24 PM
vhoffman: If you didn't even go inside the hotel, how can you really say what kind of a place it was? Do you judge a book by it's cover? It might have been as bad as you say but if you didn't even go inside I don't see how you can make that determination.
And research also involves going to the biddingfortravel site and seeing what hotels could possibly come up, reading the reviews, going to each hotel's website and if you couldn't live with any of the possibilities, then don't bid in that area.

vhoffman
06-27-2004, 08:30 PM
BonnieA,

Oh, geez! Is this thread going to take a nasty turn? I wasn't reading a book, I was picking out a hotel for my family's vacation. Read my post--I said it looked like a welfare hotel from the outside. Plus, it was in a rundown area of town. Its unrealistic to think its going to trun into a palace inside if they can't even keep up the outside. Perhaps that would be ok for you, but for me and my family, it was below our standards. If you're satisfied with whatever you get from Priceline, go for it. The point I was trying to make is that sometimes you can get burned using PL. I believe the OP was trying to find out some others experiences using PL. I shared one of mine. Take it or leave it. Its not necessary to attack anyone who doesn't think like you do!

Lewisc
06-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by vhoffman
BonnieA,

Oh, geez! Is this thread going to take a nasty turn? I wasn't reading a book, I was picking out a hotel for my family's vacation. Read my post--I said it looked like a welfare hotel from the outside. Plus, it was in a rundown area of town. Its unrealistic to think its going to trun into a palace inside if they can't even keep up the outside. Perhaps that would be ok for you, but for me and my family, it was below our standards. If you're satisfied with whatever you get from Priceline, go for it. The point I was trying to make is that sometimes you can get burned using PL. I believe the OP was trying to find out some others experiences using PL. I shared one of mine. Take it or leave it. Its not necessary to attack anyone who doesn't think like you do!

PL charges you cc before they even give you a confirmation. Not sure how you got a reservation without being charged.

I think the point is if you checked in and took pictures you might have had grounds to try for a refund on the basis of a mis rating.

I've had good luck using PL when I was looking for a decent room, NYC or room near an airport for example. I don't think I'd use PL if the focus of my vacation was a resort stay and resort amenities (beach location for example) is going to be a major part of my vacation.

The same people who tell prospective PL customers not to worry about 4 in a room are the same people who will quote PL rules if the customer is one of the (very) few, unlucky guests who wind up being stuck with a King, handicap accessible room in a sold out hotel.

vhoffman
06-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Yes, I understand that PL charges your credit card at time of booking. However, for some reason, the charge never showed up on our statements. That was about 6 months ago. I look at
it as a lucky break. However, it usually doesn't happen that way. I wouldn't want anyone here to think that they aren't charged unless and until they show up. Breaks like that happen once in a blue moon. But its just another indication of why I wouldn't deal with PL. They are so inept they can't even keep their own accounts straight. I've heard stories the opposite, as well. That is, people are sometimes charged twice (or more) for the same reservation. Its not easy getting it taken off your credit card. Their customer service is not noted for its niceness.

jgates
06-28-2004, 12:03 AM
vhoffman - what do you bet, if you actually had stopped at the hotel, your ressie probably would have been missing anyway!!!

tar heel
06-28-2004, 12:17 AM
We've used priceline five times and got wonderful places and been treated great at four of them. Our disappointing stay was at a *** Hilton in Raleigh, NC. We were given a rundown, smoking room and told that there were no nonsmoking rooms to move us to. Conversation with the checkout desk person made it clear that there had been nonsmoking rooms available.

vhoffman
06-28-2004, 01:20 AM
Actually, I never thought of that--that our reservation was probably missing, that's why we weren't charged. None of the paperwork went through. We joked about how the room was ours since we'd paid for it (it wasn't until later that I realized it wasn't on our cc statements). So we could use it to store our dirty laundry! From the look of the place, I wouldn't even want my dirty laundry there!

CheapMom
06-28-2004, 07:16 AM
As far as juding a book by its cover- yes, of course I do. Do you let the outside of your house fall into disrepair and shambles because as long as it is clean on the inside- that is all that matters?
I doubt it.

KCMiller
06-28-2004, 02:12 PM
VHoff,

Can you please tell us the name of the hotel in Hawaii, so we can avoid it in the future?

Thanks,

KC :earsgirl:

vhoffman
06-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Hi!

In response to your post, the hotel was the Ohana Waikiki Village. I would avoid the Ohana chain altogether. We also drove by one of their properties in Maui (didn't get the name, just saw the Ohana name), and it looked almost worse than the one in Waikiki. My kids joked about that one, too. Was I ever glad I decided not to go with that chain. I figured it we lost the money so be it (and I hate losing money). This was the trip of a lifetime and I wasn't going to have it spoiled by some penny pinching. Ohana is a budget priced chain owned by Outrigger and they have properties on all the islands. I assume some of them are better than others, but I just wouldn't gamble with them. I would trust the Outrigger chain, though. They have some very nice properties and especially condos. We're already planning our trip for next summer. This time we'll do things a little differently. For starters, we'll stay longer. Ten days just wasn't long enough. This time I'm looking at staying the whole time on one island (haven't decide which) in a 2-bedroom condo for the extra room for my family of four. Then we will get the pass from Aloha Air that gives you unlimited travel between the islands and make day trips to the other islands. The packing and unpacking gets old. Here's a website you might be interested in (if you haven't found it already) its www.Hawaii.com. Its a board similar to the Disboards and you can get a lot of good information/advice about Hawaii from there. BTW, when are you planning to go to Hawaii? Have a great trip. If you want to chat anymore about Hawaii, just send me a pm.:chat:

pilgrimage
06-28-2004, 06:42 PM
I travel a great deal on business and stay in priceline hotels about 70 per cent of the time. I just returned from a business trip and paid 20 per cent of rack rate at a clean Holiday Inn, one -third of the cost for the Waldorf. My only disappointment was for a Comfort Inn--clean but incredibly noisy--no room to complain for $20 in Charlotte, NC.

BonnieA
06-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by vhoffman
Oh, BTW, our "crappy hotel" in Waikiki was a 4 star.

The Ohana Waikiki Village is a 3* on priceline.

And you were right. Looking at the website I wouldn't want to spend my vacation there either. That why when using priceline you must do the research. Reading the reviews on priceline of that hotel would have turned me off immediately. I would never bid for a 3* in that zone because I would be afraid to get that hotel.

By the way, I am going to Hawaii in the fall and I wouldn't trust my hotel to priceline. Some vacations are just too important. And I've read the hotel reviews on priceline and there are too many hotels I wouldn't want to risk my vacation on.

inkkognito
06-28-2004, 07:08 PM
The post about the smoking room reminded me: Do NOT use Priceline if you absolutely must have a non-smoking room. I have allergies, so I know that I'm always taking a risk. But other than the LaQuinta from H-E-Double Hockey Sticks (which said the room was non-smoking), the only other place I ran into a problem was the MCO Marriott. They said that all the non-smoking rooms are gone, and when you're paying $25 they're not going to have much sympathy if you complain. The good news is, the room totally did not smell like smoke at all. The desk clerk said it wouldn't because they use an ionizer or something, but I didn't believe him. I am VERY fussy, and I was impressed.
The other trait common to Priceline rooms seems to be that 99% of the time you get a connector. But I've never gotten one where I've heard noise from the room next door.
Barb

vhoffman
06-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Just to set the record straight, the Ohana Waikiki was a 4 star on Priceline when we got it. That was some time ago, I think around Jan-Feb. of this year. I've noticed that it went down to a 3 star afterwards. They sometime do downgrade their ratings. However, they should offer customers who have already purchased such a room a chance to bid on something else, since they won't be getting what they pay for. However, I don't know exactly when they downgraded that hotel. Like I said, we were never charged, by some fluke, so just consider it a lucky break. However, sounds like some here are "blaming the victim". If you don't do your research, blah, blah, blah....One should expect a clean, well-maintained property at any star level. That's just basic expectations. True, if one booked a one-star, after reading what one stars offer, then was upset to find there wasn't a pool and onsite restaurant, when that's not included with a one star, well, then they'd have only themselves to blame. However, even one stars should have basic standards, such as cleanliness, decent area of town, etc. Not a place you'd be afraid to get out of your car in!

kilee
06-28-2004, 08:48 PM
In all honesty if anyone were to bid a 1 star-- then they are really getting what they paid for!! Awhile back there was a winning 1* bid on these boards for $9.00/nt--- sorry but for that price clean is probably going to even be a stretch. It really comes down to personal opinion. I've seen many people who want the a Grand Floridian stlye hotel on a shoestring $25/nt winning bid budget. It's not going to happen. To compare a 3* hotel to a resort level isn't fair either. You have to have some perspective about the level you are bidding in as far as expectations.

jajuan
06-29-2004, 04:15 PM
I have booked on priceline 6 times. One time was the same trip going to San Diego and Anaheim. I bid on a 4 star property just to be safe and got fabulous hotels for 85 a night and then called the hotel to check the rates and they were upper 100's. I was so pleased. I will not use them unless I can bid 4* or above. But again...I was very pleased...and I am VERY picky.

Cindy B
06-29-2004, 05:02 PM
I've had two sucessfull bids on priceline.

One was the Grand Hyatt in Washington DC. Internet rates were running about $179. -- we bid $70 and won! Once we arrived it was a one bed room. (we are a family of four). We politely asked if another room was available, and they said no, due to the fact that it was Cherry Blossom festival week. We then decided that a rollaway could be acceptable. ( We personally thought that a rollaway would have bene fine anyway, since when we were in aking bed, all four of us are in it anyway)

The manager then decided since it was an inconvienence for us, he would give us complimentary breakfasts our entire stay.. and we used them!

I would add Washington DC to that list of select citiesthat may limited rooms

We also got a Country Inn and Suites for a Memorial Day stay in Ohio. WE got that for $40. (regular rate $52 or something like that)

WE used bidding for travel both times.

Figaro
06-29-2004, 05:31 PM
We've used priceline about a dozen or so times and have always had great luck with the rooms we've gotten. We just got the airport Marriot in Orlando for our last night there for total (with priceline fees) of just over $42.00. We've gotten into the habit of staying our last night at an airport hotel and dropping off the rental car that night and taking the shuttle from and to the airport.

summerrluvv
06-29-2004, 05:40 PM
I've used priceline a lot for hotels in Manhattan as well as some here on the Island. I have always gotten very nice hotels and they had no problems meeting our requests as far as room and bed type go. I have always just called the hotel after my bid went through and they noted it on my reservation.

CindyKansas
06-29-2004, 08:10 PM
We have also used Priceline, we have used it 15 times and each time I wasn't disappointed (knock on wood). I was even lucky to get the Swan last summer for $69 a night. DH fell in love with the beds at the Swan and is willing to pay a higher rate to stay there. I have used Hotwire too and haven't been disappointed with them either.

LoriZH
06-29-2004, 08:21 PM
I just got back from Orlando using priceline and I thought I got a phenomenal deal. I got Sheraton Safari for $40 bucks a night for 4 nights, this hotel was a 3*. The rooms were large and comfy, they were not a luxurious suite by any means and the hotel is a little worn (no more than Disney's Resorts) but the service was incredible and this was 5 minutes from Disney, absolutely a steal for the price. The food was great too.

We also got Marriot Orlando Airport for $40 bucks too and this was a luxury hotel, very beautiful and 5 minutes from the airport, very convienent if you are leaving early in the am.

jann1033
07-11-2004, 11:22 PM
we have had good experinces with the rooms but not with the prices and customer service. we paid more than we were supposed to ( the hotel people inadvertantly told us the price they were currently chargeing and ours with the "lowest price guarentee" with price line was $10 more plus the priceline fee) and Priceline's customer service told us "they shouldn't have told you their price" when I called about it ( in other words, no money back, not apology, just an snippy response) also got a bad cs rep. another time when their site was not working right. haven't used them since because I don't want to tackle the kind of problems i would have if they made a double charge or something since they do not honor what they promise

FonFon
07-12-2004, 01:03 AM
I use Priceline a lot for those days where we are getting into a city late, and don't want to spend $$$ on one night at our "final destination" hotel. It's nice to spend $20 or $30 on a place that you know you're just in to sleep, and then wake up early the next morning to check into a Palace. :)

We used Priceline when moving across the country (we recently moved from Tennessee to Southern California)...on the way over, we used it for hotels that we knew we would only be sleeping in for a few hours, and then used it for the hotel we'd be staying in until our apartment was ready. Got upgraded to a 3* when we were only bidding on a 2.5*, and paid $65 a night for a $200 a night + room in San Diego.

And it always feels "swankier" when you know you got it at a bargain!!

Just make sure you do your research, with sites like biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com (the latter being the friendlier of the two), so that you are bidding on par with what others are getting in the same area.