PDA

View Full Version : Are Sale and Clearance the Same? Disney Store Gripe!

LIFERBABE
06-23-2004, 01:24 PM
First let me say that normally I am very passive when it comes to most things in life. But when someone tries to take advantage of me and lie I get angry and scientific in my methods! LOL If I am wrong on this one please let me know, so I can let it go.

I purchased some items at TDS a couple of weeks ago. The items had SALE signs posted so I picked up a few things. A few days ago I tried to return some things and was told I could not because they were clearance items. The items I purchased were marked down at the register and showed no signs of being clearance and there was no indication on my receipt. I went over to the rack where I found my items and these items were now marked with red price tags

I spoke to a supervisor and stated that when I purchased the items they were on sale and not clearance but to no avail.

So I called TDS Guest Relations and spoke to Joe who stated he was the ONLY GR Supervisor in all of N. America and that in the retail industry Clearance and Sale mean the same thing! LOL
I told him that was incorrect and he stated that Webster's dictionary (Im too serious) defines them as the same!

I've been to many a sale in my life (a certified shopaholic) and I know the difference between a sale and a clearance.

Basically it boils down to the back of the receipt states outlet and clearance cannot be returned so as long as clearance and sale mean the same thing then unless we pay regular ticketed prices, the merchandise is not returnable.

Can anyone with more TDS experience help me out with this one as far as your experiences?

Thanks
Crystal

Carrie Ellis
06-23-2004, 01:32 PM
I have returned shirts just a week ago that had a red tag. I am planning on returning something this week.

Was this a Disney Outlet? My gripe is the sizing of the clothes.

Ladyslug
06-23-2004, 01:53 PM
That's so strange. Usually "Sale" and "Clearance" don't mean quite the same thing, even in retail. (I'm sure you know this, but just in case) often "Sale" is a limited time markdown on certain items or categories of items. "Clearance" is also a markdown, but it indicates that the items will remain on markdown until they are sold out and they will not be restocked.

While I can understand that the Disney Store would not like to take back items that they're trying to unload as fast as possible, if you bought them on "Sale" and not "Clearance," they should let you return the items, but they may only refund you the current clearance price. That's how many other stores operate with "Clearance" merchandise. That way, you can return the item if you really don't want it, but the store can try to discourage you from doing so by offering you a relatively small amount of money in return.

LIFERBABE
06-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Was this a Disney Outlet?

No this was one of the few stores left in my area at the Parks Mall in Arlington, Tx. I was told the new return policy was effective May 2004 by the store supervisor (Kim).

Joe at GR was even less helpful and aggravating.

I did have my receipt and the items were NWT.

ADisneygirl
06-23-2004, 02:07 PM
A sale and a clearance are not the same thing. Items can go on sale at a store one week, then be regular price again the next. Happens every week at Target. An item marked clearance is an item that has already been on sale and for whatever reason the store is not stocking it anymore. Sometimes, what does not sell on sale, gets clearanced. Clearance items NEVER go back to regular price. That alone is a big difference between the two.

What does your sales slip say? We just bought some t-shirts on sale at TDS in my mall, and then we returned them the next week because I found some I liked much better online. No problems returning it.

Even if the store had now marked my t-shirts to clearance prices, I still would have expected to receive the price I paid for them on sale. (as long as I returned them within the allotted time frame)

If you shopped in a regular Disney store in the mall, and this is what you were told, I think you were treated very unfairly. Read your receipt and let us know what return policy it states.

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

trola2
06-23-2004, 02:49 PM
They are two different things. Also, I shop regularly at a Disney Catalog Outlet and although they will take "sale" items back, they won't take back clearance which is "red ticketed".

Good luck. I'd try back when a different manager was there.

BTW, I was a district manager for a major retailer in my past life and the clearance/sale thing was pretty much standard in the industry...but anytime a customer squaked about not being able to return "clearance", we took it back anyway.

~~Beth

Carrie Ellis
06-23-2004, 03:16 PM
LIFERBABE,

I grew up in Arlington, Tx. I went to Martin HS! Shopped the Parks mall quiet often!

enchantedpixiedust
06-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi
I had the same problem with that store, but the Vista Ridge & Stonebriar stores took the stuff right back and acted like they never heard of that. Go figure!

LIFERBABE
06-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Thank you for posting all the experiences.

I will go to Hulen Mall as I am well within the rules of their return policy if they quit making them up as they go. I did check my receipt and it clearly states clearance is not returnable, but my items were not clearance when I purchased them and that is easy to discern by my ticket and receipt.

I cant believe GR in California only has 1 clueless supervisor that would rather tell a lie than enforce their own policy.

I even went as far to look up the 2 words in Webster's because I felt like I must be qoing crazy if those words have the same meaning LOL!

It was the 2 clothing items that they are refusing to take back, so their sizes must be seriously out of whack and maybe they have a hard time selling clothes.

I never really shopped at the Parks Mall, but they closed our TDS in N. Hills so the Parks is closest.

Thanks for confirming my sanity at least for today! Im sure by tomorrow I will be questioning it again over something else! LOL:tongue:

Hi Carrie! I've heard nothing but how great Martin High is!!!

disneychrista
06-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Sales and Clearence are not the same thing.

However, it is up to the consumer to know the return policy, if there is a chance you may have to return an item.

DianeV
06-23-2004, 04:56 PM
That is true and she DID know the return policy and was following it..

iNTeNSeBLue98
06-23-2004, 05:48 PM
My feeling is, you have a dated receipt showing when and how much you paid for the item You purchased the item while on sale, not clearance and I think the store should take the item back per your receipt. On the other hand, if you do not have the receipt, or other proof of sale, then I would agree with the store not accepting the return.

The retailer I work for has a liberal return policy. We take most anything back. If you have the receipt, bring it back two years later for a refund (it happens at Christmas a lot). If you don't have a receipt, we'll give you the current sale/clearance price in the form of store credit.

anditoo72
06-23-2004, 06:20 PM
I worked in retail for years and sale and clearence are clearly not the same things. If I am not mistaken (may be just our states rules) if the item can not be returned it must be marked on the sales recipt as a final sale. Also, since it is not marked on the recipt they should have offered store credit at least.

ksoehrlein
06-23-2004, 06:26 PM
I am a newly-former TDS Cast Member. I am sorry you are having this problem with the Store in question. Please try not to take it personally (although I know it's frustrating)!

It is true that the return policy just changed on May 1. It seems as though some stores are being extra zealous about enforcing it, and are reading between the lines to exclude items that should be allowable. The Stores are still trying to figure out the new policy themselves, and there has not been much guidance. I'm sorry that the confusion has affected you.

It sounds like the store may have messed up their labelling. During the semi-annual sale, most items are considered "on sale" --although the semi-annual sale is actually done for clearance purposes. I do know that during this sale, only a few clothing items were to be specifically marked as Clearance. That means they were supposed to be red-lined or red-stickered by the Store CMs at the time of mark-down. Sounds like they didn't do it at first, recognized the mistake, did the appropriate red-lining later and are now trying to act as if it was clearly marked at the time of your purchase.

Or, it could be that the CMs did do the signage and labelling correctly. The items may have been considered merely "on sale" before their status switched over to "clearance." I can't quite remember when or if that happened, but it is very possible.

These sales are so confusing for CMs, because some prices change weekly while others stay the same for the entire sale period. Some items are "Clearance;" most are not. Then you get a new return policy added to the mix and very little guidance from upper management about what the rules mean. I don't recall seeing any memos describing the difference -- if any -- between clearance and on sale. I guess the Store managers were using their individual judgement, but they failed to consider the impact it would have on the Guest -- you.

Glad you have other stores within driving distance!

juliegirl
06-23-2004, 08:07 PM
I bought t-shirts for DD and myself in April. DD is 9, but the kids shirts are WAY too small for her. I bought her 2 Adult size small shirts, after verifying that the label said PRE SHRUNK cotton.

Well, you guessed it - they shrunk in the wash. Since they were only worn once, and fit great before washing, I brought them back within (I don't honestly remember) 5-7 days for exchange. Well, the CM acted like she didn't really know how to handle it, clearly the items had been worn and washed, I didn't try to say they hadn', I just explained that they had shrunk, as they were clearly too small after washing them. The store manager came over and made a huge production out of getting two NEW size small shirts, lining them up corner to corner and exclaiming, "They are the same exact size." I said, well they do not fit the same exact way and I want to exchange for 2 Medium. I was allowed the exchange, but not before I was made to feel like I was trying to get away with something.

I would also like to mention that my receipt included over $600. in purchases, Easter plush for DD and nephew, PH tickets, light up fans and keychains and Disney dollars for the Easter baskets. Gee, I was really trying to rip Disney off, by getting what I paid for and deserved to have.

dizcrazy
06-23-2004, 08:12 PM
No, sales and clearance are NOT the same thing. And since you came in with the items and a receipt, and esp. since those items were not red-tagged, you deserve a refund!

Is the economy so bad that making customers happy is a policy of the past? I don't get it.

Anyone else shop at the Parks Mall in Arlington, TX? If so, stop by and tell them that you heard about this sale/clearance policy and do not like it.

I'll do my part and ask questions when I am at the stores in Jersey and PA.

jiminy14
06-23-2004, 08:30 PM
I recently wanted to buy a set of pajamas that were on "Clearance" for my daughter. Not being sure of how they ran, I wanted to make sure they could be returned. I checked with the store manager about the "new return policy" and was told that they could indeed be returned. She told me that TDS had received so many complaints about the new policy that it had been amended. You still could not return collectibles or outlet merchandise, but they were now allowing returns of catalog, park and clearance merchandise within a 60 day time period.
Maybe your store is just not up to date on this change. Or maybe you just have a stickler there for a manager. Either way, this has been in effect for at least a month because that's how long ago I bought the PJs.

LIFERBABE
06-23-2004, 11:38 PM
I am a newly-former TDS Cast Member. I am sorry you are having this problem with the Store in question. Please try not to take it personally (although I know it's frustrating)!

Thanks so much ksoehrlein, It was exactly how you said it was! When I approached the desk I overheard the spvr. telling the CM not to accept clearance merchandise. When I approached she noticed that my items were not red tagged (but were now clearance) and asked the supvr. for guidance. I guess she had to prove her point so she took the hard line with me.

What I was most disappointed in most was calling Guest Relations in Calif and getting that total jerk that had the nerve to tell me they were the same thing and Webster's Dictionary says so! I expected better.

Okay........Im releasing it now! LOL

Well Good News!!!

I went to the Hulen store this evening and the manager helped me. She did not say one word and accepted my receipt and unused items with tags no problems. Matter of fact, they had way better stuff than the Parks store so I went ahead and picked up some items (no more clothes!) So thank you all and I did want others to know this had happened.