PDA

View Full Version : How do you plan......

tink2dw
06-23-2004, 02:07 AM
a trip before you have the money in hand??

Shelle&Dave
06-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Is that supposed to be a reply to one of the other threads or is that a serious question? I'm asking because I know sometimes replies are somehow stuck as a new thread. :D

Taja
06-23-2004, 07:46 AM
You have at least four options: a travel professional planning individual segments or package or DIY planning individual segments or package. Personally, I would check all options, although some may not be readily available if you're looking very far into the future.

Generally, DIY segment planning is the least expensive option, but sometimes you can get lucky and find a package that is a better value.

Determine travel dates.
Determine method of travel (air, road, etc.).
Research travel costs (add about 20% to current airfare if future dates not available. For ground travel, calculate fuel at $3 per gallon, reseach hotels/motels for overnight stays and include food.
Research WDW area lodging options and prices (on and off site).
Research ticket costs for all parks planned.
Research ground transportation or rental car costs if flying.
Research food costs.
Research cost for at-home expenses (while away): pet care, house/garden care, etc.

I probably missed a few things, so be sure to add them!

There are websites for all of the major airlines, lodging chains (and many individually owned ones) and rental car companies.

Disney has an official website--more ambience than solid information IMHO--and there are a number of unofficial websites, as well, in addition to this one. Type "Walt Disney World" into a search engine, and check the results on the first three pages. In addition to this site, I use All Ears Net and MouseSavers, as well as a couple of other sites when I'm seriously planning. Check them out and see what suits your needs.

Beyond that, keep your eyes peeled for discounts for the time period of your trip!

Happy planning!

HenDuck
06-23-2004, 01:36 PM
I do what Taja said. I also plan a "high" and "low" budget. The high budget is the most it will cost, including the "dream" things I'd like to do (like Fantasmic buffet), and the most it will cost for airfare, rooms, etc. Then the low budget is where I try to go bare bones. Then I figure out if I can save enough for the high budget. If not, I rework both budgets until they meet somewhere in the middle where I feel comfortable. Then that's my savings goal.

I hope that made sense.:confused:

Good luck!:wave:

momxx5
06-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Lots of research!!!

These boards are a great way to find out about all areas(and costs) at WDW.

You can start planning...

Where do you want to stay?
How long will you be staying?
What kind of tickets do you want?
What kind of food/meals would you like?

Then you can start dreaming/planning and hopefully discounts will come out and then you will be able to save even more money.

Planning is half the fun. For us I know pretty much that a trip is going to run around $5,000 - when we can spend that much we go, if not we dream and plan for the next time we can.

Good luck.

tink2dw
06-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the info!! I do dream but the money just isn't there[scrimping to pay utilities]!! I'm hoping a raise at work will help.

tink2dw
06-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the info!! I do dream but the money just isn't there[scrimping to pay utilities]!! I'm hoping a raise at work will help.