PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used mail-order film developing?

bigbabyblues
06-20-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm getting concerned with all the posts on the Dis about employees at MCO not wanting to hand-check film, and people having ruined film. I want a digital camera, but with our trip coming so quickly, we can't afford one right now (not one that we want anyway), and I read a post that someone mentioned York photo, or Clark, I'm not sure which.

Has anyone tried these before?

Taja
06-20-2004, 01:28 PM
I haven't used any in the past xx years (you don't want to know how many!), but we used them all of the time when I was young and I used them periodically into my twenties. Never had any problems I wouldn't have experienced otherwise!

As long as you stay with a reputable company, you should be fine.

disneysnowflake
06-20-2004, 02:58 PM
I've sent my 35 mm film in the mail before using Snapfish.

When you sign up they will send you postage paid mailers. You just stick up to 4 rolls of film inside the mailer and send it away.

You can either prepay for your rolls of film using your credit card on their website, or you can just write your info on the order form you fill out when mailing in your film.

The last few times I've used Snapfish for 35mm film it took exactly one week from the day I mailed the film until the day I received them back in the mail.

http://www.snapfish.com

bigbabyblues
06-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Thank you both, I was looking at York because they have a place about an hour from my home.

Now a dumb follow up question, can I mail them from WDW? We won't have a car while we're there, and mailing them before we get to the airport is the whole point of it for us.

Thanks again

mum4jenn
06-20-2004, 04:20 PM
You can mail them from anywhere that has mail delivery. They send little stickers for you to put on you rolls of film as well as the film mailer. Also snapfish will upload your pictures to the web so you can put anyones email address in there that you want to view the pictures. I saw pictures from Clark years ago and they did not look all that sharp and clear. Snapfish does WONDERFUL work and they are very quick. They email you to let you know they received them and then they email you to let you know that you can view them online. You can edit the pictures online and delete the ones that turned out bad.(Of course they still mail you all of your pictures but you can edit the ones they store online)

Robinbare
06-20-2004, 04:39 PM
I have used york in the past....Just be careful. When my son was born I sent the film in to be developed and I recieved a letter saying my film had been lost or damaged. I made numerous long distance calls trying and praying the film would be found, but they were not. Its very important to stick your name and address on the roll of film itself, if I had done that I may have gotten my pics. I also recieved someone elses pics in the mail before. These were people I had never seen, but im sure they were sick about not having there pics. But there was no way to get these back to the rightful owners without a name. After these 2 things happened, now I just put mine in the 1 hour at walmart and wait for them.

mum4jenn
06-20-2004, 04:53 PM
I have never had this happen with snapfish because they send you labels for each of your rolls of film.

CajunDixie
06-20-2004, 04:54 PM
My only concern would be the timeframe to receive your pics. I know when we mail postcards from WDW even if you mail them on our first or second day we usually beat the cards home. :rolleyes: So you'd most likely not get your pics back for possibly 3 weeks.

GAIL HAYDEN
06-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by bigbabyblues
I'm getting concerned with all the posts on the Dis about employees at MCO not wanting to hand-check film, and people having ruined film. I want a digital camera, but with our trip coming so quickly, we can't afford one right now (not one that we want anyway), and I read a post that someone mentioned York photo, or Clark, I'm not sure which.

Has anyone tried these before?

Send out labs check less than Disney. Have it done at a one hour place like WalMart or Target. Your chances of loss and ruined film are very high at send out labs, especially mail outs. They batch develop everything.
I have corrected many errrors from York, Clark, Mystic, Snap Fish, Fuji etc. It is well worth the dollar or so to have it done at a one hour lab.

GAIL HAYDEN
06-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Robinbare
I have used york in the past....Just be careful. When my son was born I sent the film in to be developed and I recieved a letter saying my film had been lost or damaged. I made numerous long distance calls trying and praying the film would be found, but they were not. Its very important to stick your name and address on the roll of film itself, if I had done that I may have gotten my pics. I also recieved someone elses pics in the mail before. These were people I had never seen, but im sure they were sick about not having there pics. But there was no way to get these back to the rightful owners without a name. After these 2 things happened, now I just put mine in the 1 hour at walmart and wait for them.

What you all don't realize is that once that film hits the processor the outside case is gone. It does not follow the film through the developing process. I might help if the film falls out of the mailer on the way to the lab or in the lab, but, once it is loaded, if the twin checks (the little tabs on the film and the envelope) are not there, they have no idea who it belongs to.
You have NO idea how much film is lost or ruined by these companies. Count yourselves as very very lucky.
For photos that are meaningful (aren't they all) is it work a few dollars to chance it?

anditoo72
06-20-2004, 05:55 PM
I have been using York for years. I pre-addressed them for when we are at Disney for my home address using the location closest to my home. After I use my disposable camera I am all set to put it in the envelope, write the check and drop it in the mail box!! Hopefully when I come home I will get the pics from the beginning of my trip (we are going for two weeks)

anditoo72
06-20-2004, 05:55 PM
I have been using York for years. I pre-addressed them for when we are at Disney for my home address using the location closest to my home. After I use my disposable camera I am all set to put it in the envelope, write the check and drop it in the mail box!! Hopefully when I come home I will get the pics from the beginning of my trip (we are going for two weeks)

jfap
06-20-2004, 07:34 PM
would this work to help ensure that your pics are not lost.?

Make the first picture you take in each roll a picture of a card with your name, address and phone # on it.

GAIL HAYDEN
06-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by jfap
would this work to help ensure that your pics are not lost.?

Make the first picture you take in each roll a picture of a card with your name, address and phone # on it.

It could help, IF the folks could tell where the batch began or ended.

Why even bother, take it somewhere that does not send it out and it eliminates the problem entirely.

bigbabyblues
06-20-2004, 08:12 PM
I'd much prefer to take it to Walmart or somewhere else close to Disney that does one-hour developing, but we will not have a car while we're there, which eliminates trips to the store. We'll also have our 2 boys, and we could use a cab, but no booster for oldest DS. I also considered having them done in WDW's one-hour places, until I found out it was around $15 a roll......I will probably take 15-18 rolls while we're there, and there's no way I can afford that much for developing all at one time.

I'm starting to think I'll never get home with any pics from our trip, which is ridiculous. I can't imagine losing all my pictures, especially since this will be my boys' first trip, but I'm glad I don't have anything seriously important to worry about right now.

CindyKansas
06-20-2004, 09:21 PM
I have used York for years too. I always take extra mailers with me whenever I go on vacation and I drop my film off every chance I get. One thing that I have gotten into a habit of "Have Scotch Tape to tape the mailer" I find that the glue on the envelope doesn't always stick that well.

zippehsmom
06-20-2004, 09:31 PM
On our first trip I used DIsney Processing, boy was that expensive. The next trip we used Wal Mart 1 hour photo when we returned. I put my film in our carryon, so it did not go through the luggage check scanner. I know some people have said that any time film is exposed to those metal detectors they are cloudy, but I can honestly say that our pictures turned out well. I can't see any difference from when got them developed before we returned home.

This trip I am going to used SuperTarget 1 hour processing while I'm down there 1) I'm getting the Target GC's from Hotwire 2) I bought my film from target and it came with $1 off coupons if developed there and 3) I get kind of paranoid about my film being sent out.

I have had some pictures come out bad while using 1 hour places, but at least I can see if they can fix it right then.

Good Luck, I'm sure a solution will come to you before you leave. Even if you get your pictures developed when you return I think they will still turn out great. Maybe you could even send some out and bring some home with you.

zippehsmom:D

GAIL HAYDEN
06-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by bigbabyblues
I'd much prefer to take it to Walmart or somewhere else close to Disney that does one-hour developing, but we will not have a car while we're there, which eliminates trips to the store. We'll also have our 2 boys, and we could use a cab, but no booster for oldest DS. I also considered having them done in WDW's one-hour places, until I found out it was around $15 a roll......I will probably take 15-18 rolls while we're there, and there's no way I can afford that much for developing all at one time.

I'm starting to think I'll never get home with any pics from our trip, which is ridiculous. I can't imagine losing all my pictures, especially since this will be my boys' first trip, but I'm glad I don't have anything seriously important to worry about right now.

You will be fine. Just make sure to carry the exposed and unexposed film in your carry on, NOT in checked baggage.
I personally, after seeing the cumulative effects of scanners on film, prefer to have it hand checked. They cannot refuse, just pack the rolls in a clear plastic bag.