PDA

View Full Version : Could Rachael Ray do WDW on $40 A Day?

barbeml
06-18-2004, 02:47 PM
I've seen her Orlando show, but could she do WDW on $40 a day? (I'm not talking about a muffin and water for breakfast, a hot dog for lunch and a burger for dinner).

Remember, tax and tip are included in that $40.

How would you do a decent breakfast, lunch and dinner at WDW for $40 a day?

tinaluis
06-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Vouchers, vouchers, vouchers!!!

mrsbballref
06-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Ooh, great question! Let's all email the show
and request that she try it!!! If everyone emailed
her, then maybe they would pay attention.

liznboys
06-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Oh wow I love that show, that would be totally cool if she did WDW!!!!!! How can you email her/her show??

DMRick
06-18-2004, 03:20 PM
RR is from my area and got her start here. I've met her and she's a cutie.

I can easily do wdw on $40 a day. I start by having the kids breakfast (under $5) using my mug, then I'll use the $11 voucher either at one of the cafeteria's for pizza, salad, dessert and usually large orange juice (which I often save for morning). Then I go over to either Peppermarket for another $11 or for the special at one of the values..so I spend under $30 and put the change toward a day in the park eating.
In the park we would eat dinner at Trail's end (take the boat over) and pay $15.99 plus tax and tip (drink included) and eat lunch at any of the counter places..salad and/or sandwhich...about $10 if not using a coupon..and a desert of ice cream from a vender ($2.50)

Alice28
06-18-2004, 03:25 PM
$40 a day?

Hmmmmm.

Well, since I already do breakfast in the room when I am not on a budget I will include that.

First I would buy a refillable mug with my souvenir money. ;)
For breakfast I would get some coffee in my mug (or diet coke), and have a muffin that I brought from home and a banana from the food court. Total cost- $1.06 Okay, okay, if I really was going to get a breakfast and not "cheat", I would get the French Toast at the food court at Port Orleans. I believe it's about $6 with tax.

Lunch- I would get a chicken sandwich and water from the Kona Cafe (taking a break from the MK)- with tax and tip- about $15.

For an afternoon snack I would get a Dole Whip and Diet Coke for $5.

And for dinner I would get the chicken/beef combo platter at the Yakitori House with a water. $9

To top off my evening at Epcot, I would get a pastry for dessert at either the Norway or the France bakery for roughly $5.

There's my $40!

canwegosoon
06-19-2004, 01:29 AM
Love RR too, remember she always gets a drink too. ;)

KristiKelly
06-19-2004, 07:46 AM
I asked DH the same thing about $40 a day from WDW, I know that she could, but I'd like to see what she would get. Alot of shows on Travel & Food Network are doing more shows about WDW so who knows, she just might try it.

LIFERBABE
06-19-2004, 10:35 AM
But she is a terrible tipper!! LOL

I often feel sorry for the waitstaff, when she breaks down her meal totals and her tips are like .87 cents!:)

barbeml
06-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Yes, RR is a seriously bad tipper. What does she do, like 10%?

DMRick
06-19-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm surprised to hear she only tips 10%..since she got her start here at a place that sells jelly's, cheeses and prepared dinners, etc, and I believe there was some tipping involved. She really is a sweet heart. I believe she still maintains a residence with her mom and dog in the adirondacks. She did the 10 minute meal on our local channel for a long time.

Taja
06-19-2004, 02:45 PM
It is pretty easy to eat at WDW on $40 per day, particularly if you're able to carry the unused balance forward toward a character meal or nice dinner or lunch somewhere as a treat.

Victoria & Albert's won't make the cut, but most of the other restaurants and food courts can with reasonable planning.

I really like the idea of the Trail's End Buffet at FW, Doris. I always forget about that!

scully
06-19-2004, 04:58 PM
What is a refillable mug and how do they work?

crazelion
06-19-2004, 05:41 PM
What is a refillable mug and how do they work?

A refillable mug is get as many refillable drinks as like a certain location in the food court onsite at WDW Resorts. I love mind because I fill up soft drinks at the food court at where I am staying and don't have buy drinks every time I eat breakfeast or lunch. The price is 11.99.

danicaw
06-19-2004, 07:12 PM
I think she could do it.
Heck I think I could do it.
We usually budget $60 a day for food for Hubby and I.
But then my idea of 3 square meals a day may differ from the norm.
We tend to do a light breakfast with a mid-day snack.
A late lunch (like 2 or 3 in the afternoon) and a light, late dinner snack at counter service or carts.
Lunch being our big sit down meal, but not paying dinner prices for it.
Plus we don't drink...saves us a bundle of money ;)

I am always curious how much RR spends on the other stuff she does while in each town. Canoe lessons, shopping, etc.

deltachi8
06-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Rachael would not have to buy her drink...if I'm there that is...;)

renessa
06-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Oh, my DH has a crush on RR...I tease him all the time !!!!:teeth:

When Maxim Magazine did the top 100 Women, she was in the 20's (if I remember correctly)! The picture of her was of her standing near the oven, somewhat bent over, in a cute little fluffy skirt (think french maid) and a bra. I'm pretty sure she had heels on- too funny!!!

I made dh blush when I showed him his "sweetie"!

Oh, and about that drink...dh would take care of the bill for her!

barbeml
06-20-2004, 08:59 AM
My DH has crush on her too. He always seems to go for the short brunettes, and I am a tall blonde!

She seems like a sincerely nice and fun person--heck, I'd buy her a drink!

MEM
06-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Getting back to the original question, I think Rachael could have a grand old time on $40 at Epcot. She could start her day at the Fountain View Cafe (after riding Test Track to start her heart, instead of her beloved black coffee) and have juice and one of their terrific pastries. Then around late morning get her free coke products at Ice Station Cool -- being half Italian she would be duty-bound to try Beverly and that would make a great on-camera moment. Around noon-one she could mosey on over to Cantina de San Angel and have a wet burrito and a Conga juice drink. Mid-afternoon a kaki gori from Japan would hit the spot. Around 6-7 she could visit Morocco and have a shawarma sandwich, mint tea and baklava at Tangierine Cafe. Prior to Illuminations she could have a wine or beer and a pastry from either France or Italy. Tips would not be an issue since they are all counter service places.

barbeml
06-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Well done!

When we first started going to WDW, it was three sit-down PS meals a day, because we wanted to try everything and were never sure when we'd be coming back. That worked okay for short trips, but now we go for nine days and just can't eat that much!

We now do more counter service and combined meals (big late breakfast instead of breakfast & lunch, for example), and spread out our PS meals.

However, this year we are bringing my BIL with us and he is diabetic AND on a budget, so we have to make sure he eats frequently without spending to much.

Kimberle
06-23-2004, 11:48 AM
No problem!

You stay Concierge, then you only need to buy dinner.

Actually, we generally spend around $500 per week on food for the 3 of us. That breaks down to around $24 per day per person. We have the refillable mugs (we stay on site). B/fast is generally just a bagel. Lunch is something light at a counter, and we have a nice dinner. We even eat a couple nice meals at Artist Point. No drinks for us. We also eat dinner at Trails End, and have something from the food court once.

LuvindisCruiser
06-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Too Funny..... I'm reading this thread while watching 30 minute meals with Rachel Ray !! :rolleyes: And, just for the record... I thought my husband was the only one with the crush on Rachel Ray !!! I'm going to try to e-mail her too, and see if she has done WDW in $40.00 or if she may be doing it soon. That would be so cool if she was there when we were !!!:wave:

barbeml
06-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Great idea to email! Please post if you get a reply. Thanks!

Miniefan
06-23-2004, 04:08 PM
I do have to agree though, she is really an el-cheapo when it comes to tipping. I like watching her show 30 minute meals too. Usually she is making something that looks rather tasty. I'm also pretty sure it is fairly easy to do $40 a day for one person at WDW, I want to see her do something like $80 a day for a family of four, I'd watch that for sure.
Kim

LuvindisCruiser
06-23-2004, 09:05 PM
On the Food Network there is a Rachael Ray discussion board that is pretty interesting. But, I didn't find anywhere to e-mail her. Everyone on the boards do comment on her poor tipping. But, for $40.00 a day there's only so much left for tips, I guess !!:wave:

HenDuck
06-24-2004, 06:35 PM
She doesn't have to tip big. Her show gives these eateries the best FREE advertisement anyone could ask for. Now, the waiters might not feel that way, but oh well...:rolleyes:

MiraDawl
06-24-2004, 08:01 PM
$40 can be done quite nicely, esp. at Epcot. However, anyone here knows that tipping IS a huge part of any vacation food budget, and I'd be embaressed to leave less than 15% unless the service was awful.

Besides, the waitstaff doesn't benefit much, if at all, from free advertising, and the individual(s) who own the establishment probably aren't doing all that bad financially.

Perhaps she's sneaky and tips extra off camera...

Otherwise, I think its poor taste to tip so low!

~Mira

MrsPete
06-24-2004, 09:16 PM
I have no idea who Rachael Ray is, but $40 for one person's meals at WDW is no challenge at all! Anyone can manage three counter-service meals for $40. The real question is HOW WELL could you eat on $40 per day?

Actually, we never manage three meals a day at Disney. That's probably because we always go in the summer, and we don't want so much to eat in the heat. We usually do one quicky-light counter service meal, then one nice sit-down meal (usually an early dinner). We carry our own snacks and drink from the water fountains instead of buying sodas, which we try to minimize for health reasons. Even without particularly paying attention, we are well under $40 per day.

When I clicked on this thread, I thought the question concerned her TOTAL TRIP -- hotel, food -- well, tickets would be impossible -- unless she did time share deals.