PDA

View Full Version : I just saved myself $47 per month!!

DeDixie
06-17-2004, 07:31 PM
I called my cell phone provider and asked if there was a better plan, since I had heard a radio commerical offfering a special. Then I called my cable internet company and asked if they could lower my bill, then I called AOL and did the same.

I saved $22 off Cingular, $20 off Comcast and $5 off AOL.

Comcast promised me a year and AOL promised me 6 months, and told me to call back when the price goes back up automatically!!

I am so happy! :bounce:

Liz
06-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Good for you! That's a great savings!

I called my cable company and they said I already have the least expensive plan.

I got a $10 VISA gift card for having our cell phone bill automatically charged to our credit card. Not as good as yours but a little bit!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

KELLY
06-17-2004, 09:12 PM
My husband and I just re-finaced his truck for the same amount of months left on the loan and the payment droped 50.00 a month. His intrest rate droped in 1/2. He also just got a big fat raise. Today has been a good day. KELLY

diznee25
06-18-2004, 02:18 AM
I transfered my car loan to a new bank and refinanced. Got a lower APR, but had to extend the car loan for an additional year. It was worth it though. That's an extra $50 per month in my pocket.

Diznee25

Sandy Feet
06-18-2004, 08:49 AM
Do you all save the extra amount, or do you find like me that the extra just gets swallowed up into the general household budget? My ds is moving schools next year and I'm hoping to put the school fees we will no longer be paying into our holiday account. But then, I thought when the kids outgrew diapers we could save the $ spent on those in an account. LOL The diaper money was immediately spent on other kid needs. :rolleyes:

powellrj
06-18-2004, 09:01 AM
I find the same thing happens. I have found the older they get the more expensive they get too!!! I keep saying that as soon as I get done paying day care ( after 21 years you would think I would see the end) I am taking that money and hiring a house cleaning service!!

patsal
06-18-2004, 09:18 AM
I try my hardest to move the money I have saved in one area to another area of debt or savings. Once my youngest was no longer in full time daycare that was enough to pay for a moderate Disney vacation every year! Of course then I used it to pay for DVC which only took three years of previous daycare expenses to pay for! :crazy: I am very focused on staying debt free and planning for the future. I think I have seen too many people struggle with retirement, long term care and only have the house and no money that I really try to balance.
Every time I pay off a larger debt (ex. Car) I put that money away. This time I think I will have enough saved up to pay cash for the next vehicle!

crisi
06-18-2004, 09:44 AM
I didn't find that my kids used up the diaper savings. Nor the formula savings. They have gotten cheaper. Now we have swim lessons and t ball, but that isn't too expensive - not as pricey as diapers!

And now that they are a little older, my housekeeper I have had for four years is moving on and I've decided not to replace her. The kids are old enough now to do their own picking up (4 and 5) and run around with a feather duster and vaccuum for an hour on Saturday mornings. And since I don't need to keep a constant eye on them anymore, I can get the bathroom wiped up while they play. That's $400 a month.

DeDixie
06-19-2004, 07:43 AM
I find that when I save smaller amounts per month (like my $47- lol) it tends to be absorbed in my monthly expenses -- but if I could find another $100 I'm likely to be able to make a difference with it.

vhoffman
06-20-2004, 05:12 PM
I have also found that when I manage to save a relatively small sum from my budget it just goes for other items. However, I now put those savings into my INGDirect account. Say I've managed to save $30 a month on my phone bill. Rather than just allowing that $30 to get spent on other things, I write myself a check for that $30 and put it into the INGDirect account. What's so great about this account is that there is no minimum balance, no minimum transaction amounts (you can make a deposit of $1), no limit to the number of monthly transactions, and no fees. Plus, they pay 2.10% interest! Usually, one doesn't bother with stashing away relatively small sums of money because all the fees eat it up. However, I find this account gives me a place to store my savings, and an incentive to look for ways to fund it. Its a great way to save!

disney1990
06-20-2004, 09:38 PM
I use to save money out of my paycheck twice a month so that I would have the money for my daughter's tuition. When I stopped paying her tuition, I continued to put the money into the savings account religiously, just like it was a bill that "I had to pay". It's now been 6 years since she left home and I'm still "paying that bill". That's what we now use for Disney.

LuvindisCruiser
06-24-2004, 10:27 AM
What did I do to save money for our trip?........ I got a job !! I now work a few days a week at my gym. Free membership now- so $50.00 a month to our vacation account. And all my paychecks go directly to our vacation account at our Credit Union !! I never see our touch the money till our trip in May 2005!!! I cannot wait !!:wave: