PDA

View Full Version : Should I let Disney make my airline reservations?

nicksmom916
06-17-2004, 08:34 AM
I have a Land/Sea reservation for Sept 2004 (booked through Disney) and was going to have Disney make my airline reservations (transfers included). When I called to make PS reservations for the Fantasmic Dinner Package for the day that I arrive they wanted to give me a 3:30 dinner reservation. How can I book dinner at 3:30 (which is crazy in and of itself) when I don't yet know what time I will be arriving? Should I just pay the extra $50 per person to request non-stop, early morning flights and seat assignments? I am flying out of New Jersey.

Any insight would be appreciated.

scottygirl
06-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Book your own airfare. It will be cheaper and you will get better flight times. If you still want the Disney transfers you can add them separately. Or you could rent a car or use a towncar service. Hope this helps.

Jestocost
06-17-2004, 08:51 AM
I've never been able to see that there's any advantage to having DCL book your airfare for you. When I've had them run a quote, the prices have been higher than I could book on my own and the flights haven't been the most convenient. The only possible beneift I could see would be that they will work harder to make sure you don't miss the cruise (or do more to compensate you if you do) if a flight in on the morning of sailing is late, but that's not even an issue with a land/sea package when you're going to WDW first and from there to the cruise.

maryisme
06-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Definitely book your own air. From what I have read on this board, most people are not happy with the arrangements via disney. Save yourself the headache.

Mary

TootyJane
06-17-2004, 09:50 AM
We have booked air with DCL on our previous two cruises and never had any problems. However, we leave tomorrow and are unhappy with DCL and their air package this time around. I have to say "Book your own air." You'll most likely get it cheaper and if you want you can add Disney transfers on your own. HTH.

TheWog
06-17-2004, 10:10 AM
No, book your own. You can always do it cheaper and more conveniently for you.

ivanova
06-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Jestocost
I've never been able to see that there's any advantage to having DCL book your airfare for you. When I've had them run a quote, the prices have been higher than I could book on my own and the flights haven't been the most convenient. The only possible beneift I could see would be that they will work harder to make sure you don't miss the cruise (or do more to compensate you if you do) if a flight in on the morning of sailing is late, but that's not even an issue with a land/sea package when you're going to WDW first and from there to the cruise.
The only "advantage" is that DCL will actually hold the ship (at their discretion) if you miss the ship due to a flight delay on a flight they booked for you. If you book your own airfare and miss the ship, oh well.....

So book your own, save money, and fly in the day before (so missing the ship is no longer a possibility). :)

RadioNate
06-17-2004, 11:54 AM
So book your own, save money, and fly in the day before (so missing the ship is no longer a possibility).

Hi I'm new to this board - this is what I plan on doing for our sept cruise but how do the transfers work.

We were planing on staying the night at WDW the day before and the day we disembark the cruise.

thanks

aj

kcashner
06-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Booking your own air is generally cheaper....however, there are a couple of considerations. If you book your own air, DCL travel insurance will not cover that part of the trip. However, you can also purchase private travel insurance. Ditto if you book land and sea portions separately, DCL insurance covers only the sea. Thus, it is generally a better deal to book the parts of the trip on your own, then buy private insurance.

Another thought...if DCL does your air, they will hold the ship for a late flight.....if you book it on your own, you are responsible for getting to the port on time. This is easily solved by coming in a day early. Since you are going to WDW...this is not an issue for you.

Mickeyhugger
06-17-2004, 08:33 PM
No.

TheWog
06-18-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by RadioNate
Hi I'm new to this board - this is what I plan on doing for our sept cruise but how do the transfers work.

We were planing on staying the night at WDW the day before and the day we disembark the cruise.

thanks

aj

Transfers could work a few ways. If you stay at MCO Hyatt you can just go down in the morning and pick up the Bus at the airport loading area. If you stay at a WDW resort hotel you can pick up the bus at one of the designated areas within the park. If you decide to stay at an offsite hotel you will need to get yourself back to the airport to pick up the bus.

Now if you want to you can stay anywhere you like and use a town car service. Depending upon how many people in your party this could be much cheaper for you. You also get to choose the time you leave so you could leave at 9:30 and be at the port for 10:30 when it opens. You also don't have to worry about getting back to the airport or pay WDW resort prices. Using DCL transfers you must wait until the bus fills up and then you go. They don't usually start arriving until around 11:30 or so.

or you could always rent a car one way and drive yourself to the port, but what's the fun in that??? :smooth:

Hope this helps.