PDA

View Full Version : To do the parks before or not?

Disneycrazymom
06-16-2004, 08:16 PM
I keep looking at the 5 plus 2 deal and thinking that it would be fun the week before our Aug 21 cruise. But I just am not sure if it would be too much vacation. (I know there is never really too much vacation!) But my fear is there can be too much family time in small spaces with lots of excitement and not enough sleep. DH would not be at the parks with me, only myself and the 2 kids. He would join us on Friday to board the ship on Sat. Any thoughts? Any one else done this? Tell me the bad please as I know how fun the parks are! ;) Thanks for the help!:D

maryisme
06-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Hi Again!!!
We are going to go to Universal for the two days prior to our August 21st sailing --- Can you believe how close we are :)!!!.
I really can't think of anything negative so I am of no help to you lol.

Well I did just have a thought that I kept in mind when booking this portion of our trip. The heat!!! I know that my DD (9) would not enjoy waiting on line and running around disney. She would prefer to stay by the pool all day. We chose Universal and are staying at the Royal Pacific where we will get front of the line access all day which will minimize our wait time. We got a good rate of $142 with the fan club card. Anyway, I am hoping everything works out. Traveling will be myself, DH, DD (9) and DD (9 months) along with Grandma and my brother and nephew. It should be quite an experience :).

Mary

sters
06-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Disneycrazymom
I But my fear is there can be too much family time in small spaces with lots of excitement and not enough sleep.

I would think the cruise would solve some of those problems if the kids can take advantage of the kids club. Some say they've never slept better than to the rocking of a cruise ship. It's a nice problem to have!!! Enjoy!

ann-e-mator
06-16-2004, 10:07 PM
We did 8 days last year before our 4 day cruise last year... now keep in mind I am quite the traveller when we go... and not having been to WDW in 10 years, we pushed to see everything and do it all... we were exhausted (but in a good way) when we got to the cruise part, but we wouldn't have traded either part of the vacation...

you didn't mention how old the kids are though...mine were 5 and 14 at the time...

lkohawaii
06-16-2004, 10:46 PM
ann-e-mator,
Sorry this is off topic. I'm thinking of taking my 2 children to the parks also. They are 6 years apart like yours. If you don't mind can you PM me. I want to know how you dealt with the age differences at the park. Once on the ship I don't think I'll have a problem. Thanks in advance.

princess Snow
06-17-2004, 09:12 AM
I spent only two days at the parks before my cruise and by ship embarkation, I was so tired. I didn't even go to dinner the first night because I couldn't pull myself out of bed! The parks were so much fun, but they really take the energy out of you. Keep in mind, August will have steamy, hot weather in Orlando (which can zap your energy), and the parks will be super crowded too.
And if the kids want characters, you will see plenty on the cruise.

DCLADDICT
06-17-2004, 09:25 AM
WE DID THE 4-DAY WONDER IN MAY, WE DID 2 DAYS BEFORE OUR CRUISE AND 3 DAYS AFTER. THIS WORKED OUT WELL WITH A PARKHOPPER PASS AND UTILIZING THE FASPASS SYSTEM FOR THE RIDES WE REALLY WANTED TO DO. WE PARK-HOPPED A BIT EACH DAY AND TOOK TIME DURING THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY TO REST OUT OUR HOTEL, AND THAT KEPT US FROM MAKING OUR VACATION SOMETHING WE HAD TO COME HOME AND REST-UP. ALSO BY NOT DOING TOO MUCH PRIOR TO OUR CRUISE, WE WERE NOT TIRED GOING INTO IT. IT WORKED FOR US THIS WAY BUT I AM SURE OTHERS HAVE DONE IT DIFFERENT WAYS AND SO IT MAY JUST BE SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO TRY FOR YOURSELF. HAVE A GREAT TIME!:thewave:

DaveUK
06-17-2004, 01:16 PM
We are going to do 14 days at the parks and then collapse on to a 7 day cruise.

Its hard - but fun ! Enjoy - go for it !

kimtenn
06-17-2004, 01:27 PM
DH and I did the park/cruise combo (4 days in the parks, 3 days on the cruise) and it is something I personally wouldn't do with kids. We were SOOOO exhausted on the last day in the parks, and both of us caught colds the day we got on the ship from just being worn out. I know everybody is different, and only you know your kids and how much action they can handle, but we probably wouldn't do that again, especially with a child.

As you can see from our countdown and history below, that first experience hasn't stopped us from cruising!:cool:

Pet1021
06-17-2004, 04:09 PM
We did the 7 day cruise before 5 days at WDW and I wish I would have done it the other way around......The cruise last will give you the relaxation you don't get while running from park to park!

Just my Opinion!

drarill
06-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi
Last year we did six days in WDW before our Disney Wonder Cruise, and our only problem was all the toys and things we got before the cruise. Keep in mind that some of your luggage will be full and it wont fit anywhere. We were on a Cat 5 and we didnt have too much space. Thank God we called and asked for an upgrade and got a Cat 3 with plenty of space. Hope this helps.
Lydia

mdlinda1
06-17-2004, 10:31 PM
A couple years ago we did the parks after the 3 night cruise and loved it and I will tell you why. The last morning of the cruise we were at topsiders having breakfast and there were so many people with long faces. After inquiring they said were so sad to be heading home after such a wonderful time, they could not believe that their vacation was over. We were sad to be leaving the ship but excited to be heading to the parks.

Disneycrazymom
06-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks everyone! I still have not made up my mind, but must before the codes are gone! My kids are 11 and 4 and have been to the parks too many times!;) They will not push to see everything and will want some down time at the pool. My Mom is thinking of joining me, then DD, DH and DGF would join us the Friday night before the cruise at the Ron Jon. The heat is a factor, but we live in StL so we are quite used to it! We must return home directly after the cruise as school starts the next Monday, so that is not an option. Maybe I'll go for the AP and then I can promise a return trip and move very slowly. Too many choices!!! Thanks again for the helpful advise.:sunny:

Verandah Man
06-21-2004, 07:31 AM
We will be staying at the Westgate Vacation Villas just outside of WDW for the week leading up to the 8-21-04 cruise, which is just two months from today!!!

We are only going to the parks for a day or two, going to be spending more time relaxing around the villa pool.

My mom is moving to Florida in July, so we will go up (one hour north of WDW) and see her new place for a day or two as well, then she will be going us on the cruise.

Have fun with whatever you choose to do!!! I guess I will see you on the Magic!!!

Andy

Disneycrazymom
06-21-2004, 03:47 PM
I am looking forward to seeing you, your wife and daugher at the Dis meet on board. I thought about an off site hotel as we might spend more time relaxing and less at the parks but my DS looked at me like I had 2 heads!:eek: ;) So I guess that would not be a popular option with the kids. I can not believe it is only 2 months away!:)