PDA

View Full Version : hair braiding/hair wraps

babylotion
06-16-2004, 03:50 PM
My daughter has beautiful long hair. She was asking about hair braiding/wraps while we are in Disney next week. Does anyone know where she can get this done, and roughly how much it costs?Thanks, Janet:D

travelin' tigger
06-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I just had a single wrap put in my hair at the Poly. Here's the break-down in cost (from what I remember):
Cost per inch: $1.50
Large Beads: $4 ea
Small Beads: $.50 ea
Gold or Silver spacers: $.25 ea

I believe each resort has hair wrapping near the main pools.

Hope this helps!! :teeth:

momxx5
06-16-2004, 06:37 PM
My DD got the single wrap at TL last summer. I've heard that most of the resorts do it now(maybe not value) near the pool area. It is quite costly, but it is really neat and DD felt so special. With this method you pick your colors and beads. We chose the basic beads. The wrap adds weight to the hair so it hangs longer if the hair is wavvy. The measure after the wrap to charge - I think it was around $30 for DD's hair. We picked hair behind her ear to do it. Some people pick hair on top. She kept hers in for 3+ weeks. I've heard some keep it for months. Also,I heard that sometimes its hard to get out and that it may require it to be cut out ~ that's why we picked it from underneath behind ear. I did cut DD's out and she put a clip on it and can re-use it.

The braid I believe are much, much more expensive and are done at the resort salons. I think an appt. might be necessary.

I'm sure your DD will look beautiful:)

mudnuri
06-16-2004, 07:18 PM
even the value's do it...DD's had it done at ASMovies in April, at the main pool...

was about $30.00 per kid, but they got "nice beads"....their hair is 1/2 way down their backs, below their sholder blades...

they only got 1 each, and I took them out of their hair the 1st week of June..got them put in 3rd week of April.
MUCH cheaper than braiding is while on a disney cruise!!!!

Brandy

2minnies
06-16-2004, 07:45 PM
We always have our girls hair braided before we leave at a local beauty school - only $9.00 per child plus tip. They can then use the extra $ shopping.
Have a great trip.

ceecee
06-16-2004, 08:31 PM
I did it myself the last two years. They said it would cost around $50.00 for DD's hair (from the top, it's long). She choose to spend the $ on toys. I have done her hair for parades, football games, etc. It's pretty easy (time consuming). I bought a book on how to do it by Kuntz. I have since tried two different braiders with NO results, don't waste your $ on those.

laso82
06-17-2004, 09:10 AM
I had my daughters hair braided at the beauty parlor at the Beach Club in April. Half a head was $45....... It looked great, and lasted 3 weeks.:smooth:

barbnbrian
06-17-2004, 09:21 AM
I always do my daughter's hair myself. I have the book too and have watched it being done several times. It's really not hard to do. You can either braid the section first or leave it unbraided to wrap. I've bought nice beads and spacers and ours come out just as nice, but much cheaper!

You can also do one on an elastic band and have it to put in and out of your hair as you want. We've done this before so that we can change the wraps to match their outfits. I thread the string onto a small elastic band and put the elast on a pencil to hold it while I wrap the threads. Comes out great too.

barbnbrian
06-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Down to the single digit dance - We'll be doing hairwraps ourselves at home this weekend after the dance recital on Saturday. We leave in 7 days! YEAH!

ladycollector
06-17-2004, 10:11 AM
I had my hair wrapped on December 14th, 2003 at ASSp and it stayed in until June 7th, 2004. I couldn't believe it. But I was NOT about to cut it off and leave a big bald spot. I just found it in my bed. Im glad it's out. Six months is quite enuff.:)

ohanaMAMA
06-17-2004, 02:22 PM
at home... or rather in the room. Last spring I picked up some colorful embroidery thread and some neat beads at Wal-mart and on our first day in Orlando I did both my DD and they were FAB! I looked up a website for kids hairdos and they had step by step directions so good even a non-hair-doer like me could master them easily!

Step one

Section off a small section of hair.. one lock really. and place a RUBBER band as close to the scalp as you can.

Step two

Chose your color selections and cut lengths about twice as long as the hair length. Tie them to the hair ABOVE the rubber band.

Step three

begin wrapping string TIGHTLY overlapping as much as possible making sure to cover rubber band well. Alternate colors or use slip knots to create a swirly pattern.

Step four

When you reach the bottom of the hair tie the end TIGHTLY and slide beads of your choice onto the wrap.Place another RUBBER band at the base of the last bead.

Step five.

Paint the end with clear nail polish. This will seal the end and keep the band from slidding off.

NALA 24
06-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Did anyone ever purchase a clip-on hairwrap? My daughters go to a school where they are not allowed but they would love to have one at the beach or WDW.

momxx5
06-20-2004, 07:40 AM
We didn't get a clip on but they had tons of choices. They were a little pricey - I think around $20-30. But you can use them again and again.

Taja
06-20-2004, 08:46 AM
I don't think I could handle hair wraps--they would drive me crazy and be out after one shampoo!

But I do French braid my hair while at WDW, particularly in the summer. I bought one of those accessories--a sectioned foam thing that looks similar to the toe spacers for polishing toenails--several years ago when I was learning to do it. I have a lot of hair and I could never get past about 2 inches before my arms were tired. The braiding accessory helped me keep on track and let me rest my arms when they were tired!

Now I just braid without thinking. When my arms get tired, I stick a clip in my hair until I'm ready to continue.

I have far too much hair for most accessories sold at discount and grocery stores. We have a specialty hair accessoory store--that's all they sell--about 35 miles away, and I try to go there about twice a year. It's jewelry for the hair! :)

Zoo Keeper
06-20-2004, 07:19 PM
DD had a hair wrap done at the boardwalk a few years ago. She said that with the additional charm on the end it was heavy and felt like her hair was being pulled so we removed the charm. She had it in for over a month. When it was removed (our hair stylist did it because she didn't want a bald spot either) she had a red mark on her scalp from the constant pulling and the very tight wrap.

The next year she bought a clip on hair wrap in the Animal Kingdom. It was cheaper (under $20) and reusable. I think she is bringing it this year.