PDA

View Full Version : What is the best surprise you ever got while cruising?

mickeyfan1
06-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Not necessarily on a Disney cruise, either.

Mine was on my second Carnival Cruise, my best friend and I were invited to the bridge to watch the sailing out of Miami. It was really neat, there were only about 8 of us up there. We got to stand behind the captain as he guided her out of the port. THe view was awesome.

Minnie&Mickey
06-16-2004, 11:41 AM
We had a few surprises along the way! When we entered our staterooms, there was a really nice Disney Cruise Line Memory box in each room from All Seasons Travel. It was fairly thick and inside was about 4 photo cards that you could insert pictures into and send to people. It also included a cute little Captain Mickey doll that you could insert a photo of your face in. The memory box came in really handy because it was the perfect size to save your Navigators and other special items.

On the second day (Nassau), we returned to the rooms and found a plate of small frosted brownies, mini cheesecakes and chocolate dipped strawberries...yum! Both rooms had the same thing and they included a note saying that they were from Nikki in Guest Services. Originally we thought that maybe everyone got this because we didn't know why "Nikki" was giving us something, so we asked our tablemates at dinner and they hadn't received anything.

The next day (Castaway Cay), my husband and I returned to the room to get our good camera so that we could photograph our daughters parasailing, and we found that both rooms had a really nice plate of butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and oatmeal raisin cookies. The note said that they were from "your concierge team - Eva & Rebecca." Well that was wonderful, except that we weren't in a room with concierge service! To this day, we still don't know why we were getting all of this stuff, but it was a wonderful surprise!

I think the best surprise probably was the fact that when the cruise was all over, none of us wanted to leave the ship. This was our first cruise and we all loved it. We are already thinking about cruising again next summer. Probably not on Disney, because there wasn't much for my 19 year old to do, but we will definitely be cruising!

SCOTTOHIOCPA
06-16-2004, 03:55 PM
We entered the drawing that you get when you take that first picture in the embarkation line. Shutters called to tell us we won 2 free 8 x 10s of our choice. 2 additional 8 x 10s of the ship signed by the captain, and the characters on CC signed by them showed up in our stateroom on the last evening as well.

Be sure to save the little white piece of paper they give you and turn it in at shutters. I don't think many people do, so your odds might be pretty good.

castlegazer
06-16-2004, 04:12 PM
:wave2: Just wanted to say Hi Marsha! I know you and I won't be cruising together, but thought I'd drop in.

We were on our honeymoon on the Grand Princess in a mini suite and a lot of the other rooms around us were also honeymooners as they put balloons on your doors to indicate a special occasion being celebrated. On the first night we left this very nice note for our neighbors to the left of us who had the balloons too and left it in their mailbox. We returned from the shows that night to find a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne chiling in our room. We had to ask our butler, yes you get butlers on Princess in the mini suites which cost the same as an inside stateroom on DCL I would note, who had sent it - he told us it was the neighbors. We then sent them a bouquet of flowers. But boy was that a very, very nice thing for them to do. Can you imagine? I think we may have been next to a celebrity because that is outrageously expensive for someone to do. We never met them as they always had their little "honeymooners, don't disturb" pillow on their door that they had brought along with them.

I will never forget that. Holy cow. I wish I could always return that gesture to people, but, no, I can't do that - I don't even order Dom for myself.

mickeyfan1
06-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Woo Hooo, Castlegazer!!!! I think that was a great surprise! But here's the question, how good was it? I always thought I would but a bottle one time, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe DH will hit a giagantic jackpot in Vegas this week and then I can buy a guilt free bottle.

jgalecpa
06-16-2004, 05:50 PM
On the second morning on the Magic, our room steward knocked on our door to inform us the Captain had granted us $200 room credit on our shipboard acct with his Compliments.

No other explanation could be had. The Steward said he was just relaying the message.

But, That is just money.

My best surprise was on Friday night, in the middle of the lobby when every conceivable character was out, finding Minnie Mouse alone, swaying to the Waltz music from the Piano.

I tapped her shoulder, asked for her hand, and we waltzed around the lobby of the ship to "oohs" and "aahs".

That is MY favorite Disney Surprise.

You can't by that memory with room credit.

Jim

WDWLVR
06-16-2004, 05:54 PM
My favorite surprise came from DH. He ordered the crystal block that has the ship laser etched in it for me. It came right after we got back from the safety drill. He's such a sweetie!

Mickeyhugger
06-16-2004, 06:13 PM
My DH surprised me with a Rolex watch for our recent 15th anniversary. One of our servers (Tomslavia from Croatia) brought me 'dessert' on a covered dish. Under the lid was a wrapped box. Voila! I was surprised, as our anniversary was two days away. Even more surprised, as I'd no idea I'd ever own such a watch. I'll forever remember this DCL trip as the most 'Magical'.::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo