PDA

View Full Version : e-bay, getting ready for the plunge.....

js
06-16-2004, 10:43 AM
For months I've been reading and reading about e-bay. I have so much stuff that I would like to sell, new and used and I'm gearing up to try to start but still somewhat intimidated. Please let me know if I am doing below correctly and in the right order.
I have my e-bay screen name and password.
Is what I need to do next open a checking and debit/credit card account. I do not want to use my existing account in case there is ever fraud. If there was fraud, it would only affect my e-bay checking account.
Next I would take pictures of my items with my digital camera (maybe just start with 2 at a time), download and then put on e-bay with a description.
Do you think it is just better and easier to list a price and say "buy it now" or should I start with a bid.
The first two things I will try to sell are new and still in the boxes. I didn't buy them, I got them for free but they are just collecting dust.
Thank you VERY much for any and all the help you can give me.
If I start getting the hang of this, I would like to keep this money to fund a Disney trip. We are leaving for WDW the day after Thanksgiving but maybe could try to fund another trip for December 05 :) Thank you dis friends :)

js
06-16-2004, 11:27 AM
ps, Do I weigh the item (I have a mail scale at work) and then calculate the cost and also put on e-bay. The buyer pays shipping, correct?
Sorry, also, if I have a big item like a little tykes thing or something else, how do you pack and weigh it? Do you just pack in a big box? Weigh on a regular scale?
Do you all just usually ship regular mail? Thanks.

js
06-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Please anyone. I've now gotten the bug to clean my closet, my kids book cases, my attic and basement. I'll have great e-bay and garage sale stuff. Please help. I've printed out the e-bay facts and hoping I'm doing everything right.

js
06-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Do I need a separate checking account or do I just need credit card? Why would someone have to have my checking acct info? Sorry, just hoping someone will help and answer me LOL :)

Lizzydoll73
06-16-2004, 03:22 PM
I have seen little tykes stuff on Ebay and alot of people put it as local pick up, meaning you don't have to send it out they come get it. Sorry I can't answer more questions for you.

Az Pirates
06-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by js
ps, Do I weigh the item (I have a mail scale at work) and then calculate the cost and also put on e-bay. The buyer pays shipping, correct?

The buyer almost always pays the shipping cost - do be sure and state that in your listing though. I know I won't buy if I don't have an exact shipping cost. Some people state a flat amount for anywhere in the USA - others have calculators for different shipping zones.

Have you bought stuff on e-bay before? I know I bought some things before I tried to sell so I would have positive feedback built up. If you don't want to do that and don't have any feedback yet - I'd start with some small $$ items first.

I'm not a lot of help as I've only sold a few things - it's fun to watch those bids come in on stuff you don't want or need though!

Good Luck

tinaluis
06-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Some prefer to have a separate checking account that they deposit all eBay checks into, i.e., checks they receive from buyers for purchases, and also for Paypal to wire $$ to from purchases. Buyers would never receive your checking account information. I don't have a separate account and have never had a problem (knock on wood) but it is a precaution to take. As others have said, definitely weigh your item to calculate the postage. I, too, would not bid on an auction that does not have the shipping amount clearly stated.