PDA

View Full Version : Xcaret or Xel Ha?

Lynda Silk
06-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has gone to both Xcaret or Xel Ha and what their preference was? My sister and I and my kids (DS 12, DD10) want to do the dolphin swim and we were wondering which park was better. Or if you have gone to one of these parks, can you let me know what your experience was like?

Thanks so much!

epjenk
06-16-2004, 09:32 AM
We went to xcaret and it was great. Unfortunately, we were on a 6 hour tour and one couple was AN HOUR late getting to the tour shuttle-which actually waited for them- so we didn't have enough time to do everything. There was a really cool swim through a little river type thing that went through a cave. You just kind of floated along and it was really neat. Don't know anything about the dolphin swim though.

Lynda Silk
06-16-2004, 09:36 AM
We're interested in the underground river as well! When you swam in the river, did you have to snorkel or can you just swim? If you have to snorkel, was there an extra charge for the snorkelling equipment? Or do you have to bring your own snorkelling equipment?

Thanks again!

jrabbit
06-16-2004, 10:42 AM
The xcaret tour sounds like a really great one. We talked with some people that took it and they really enjoyed it. Don't remember if they did anything with dolphins. I know some of them did the cave snorkeling. Their comment was that it was a lot of fun and a great experience but the water was cold (I think they were from Arizona - anything under 100 is "cold" to them:teeth: )

The DCL tour doesn't seem long enough for me considering the amount of travel time BUTI would only do this tour THROUGH DCL. Xcaret is on the mainland and have heard that the ferry service isn't the most reliable and that the seas can get rough and close the ferry down. Would want to be on the DCL excursion if anything should happen.

PatriciaH
06-16-2004, 02:17 PM
I have been to both and like Xcaret better-there is more to do at the park. The dolphin swims at both are great. Is Xel-Ha with Tulum? Tulum is awesome to see.

Lynda Silk
06-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks jrabbit and PatriciaH for the info! We're from Canada so the cold water shouldn't phase us but it sounds like an awesome experience as does the dolphin swim. We're actually not there on a cruise but will be staying in Playa Del Carmen for a week so we will make sure we allot enough time to enjoy Xcaret.

And Patricia, I was kind of leaning towards Xcaret so I was glad to see your reply! We're checking out Tulum too!

Thanks again for your replies and information!