PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever bought a microwave just for their trip?

classicpooh
06-16-2004, 09:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased a microwave in Orlando just for their trip. I was thinking of doing this and doing things like instant oatmeal, easymac etc in the room, but I can't decide if I really will be saving $ or not. What do you think? Then I guess I will ship it back home - maybe too much work... Walmart has some small microwaves for only $30.00

ceecee
06-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Shipping it home might cost as much as it's worth. Are you staying somewhere that might already have one. How about getting a hot pot to make boiling water and using that for oatmeal, soups, etc.?

ceecee
06-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Shipping it home might cost as much as it's worth. Are you staying somewhere that might already have one. How about getting a hot pot to make boiling water and using that for oatmeal, soups, etc.?

brivers222
06-16-2004, 03:45 PM
You might want to call your hotel, they may have several options for you:

A) Possibly have one for your room at a fee per night

B) I know All-Stars and AKL both had microwaves in the food courts to use free of charge. Great for making soups.

hercamore
06-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Nope my dh would croak if I asked him to carry a microwave as luggage.

I'd rather have the Krispy Kremes at the AKL anyways.

herc.

Bella the Ball 360
06-16-2004, 06:27 PM
OMG I have often thought of buying one too BUT why do you need to carry it with you. Just go to one of the super Wal Marts down there and purchase it there. I gurantee you if you rent it from a hotel it will be more than 5 dollars per day(10 at WDW) AND when I was at Wal Mart I saw lots of people buying them and it was obvious from their order that they were tourists. I say go for it. the amount of money you will save is worth it. I take particular pleasure in trying to outsmart the high prices at the Disney Hotels and food courts. Wal Mart had them for 25 or 30 when I was down there last summer. wal mart had tons of microwave products.

Bella the Ball 360
06-16-2004, 06:31 PM
sorry I misread you DO want to buy it there and then bring it back. Look, my mother used to fly to California every year and it was amazing the items she was able to bring home on the plane. She brought me an upright vaccuum, a large pedistal table with a diamiter of about 30"(she put it in her hanging garment bag and removed the pedistal). Trust me a microwave is not a big deal. I view things like this as a giant challenge.

classicpooh
06-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear!:confused:

I was thinking of buying one once we were down there and then taking it home (or selling it). I may just use the one at the AKL if it is convient...

lkohawaii
06-16-2004, 10:46 PM
I took an electric skillet to cook there. You could buy one down there and cook. A microwave might be of more use though. Maybe you could sell it to someone going down after you. If you can get it cheap enough and it saves you buying one or two meals it would be worth it. I looked for the Super Wal Marts on the web on my last trip and bought groceries there too.

SlightlyGoofy
06-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Once upon a time I posted that I take a small microwave when we visit DW (we drive) and was called everything but lovely. LOL

At the risk of being berated once again I will offer these observations.

Having a simple relaxing meal in the room is worth far more than the dollars that you save by doing so. The last thing I want to deal with first thing in the morning or after I get off the overcrowded new buses is a crowd, no matter how delightful the people might have been earlier in the day when we were ALL in a much better mood. (grin)

There are so very many microwaveable options that you can have quite a delicious meal with a zap of your finger.

I always unplugged mine after using and it was a very clean and safe way to fix food in the room.

I asked my mousekeeper if it was allowed and she told me that my room was cleaner than most and that many people do the same so no problem. IMHO there was much less smell than that you would get from a few leftover pieces of pizza moldering overnight in the trashcan.

We have a stroller swap and I read somewhere where they were considering a fridge shop so why not a microwave swap? Rather than leave the microwave or whatever in the room, as I bet loads of people do, why not ask a few people checking in if they would like the item. Would make someone's day I bet. I had someone in line offer me a free park day once but would you not know it I was checking out. LOL

Ducking for cover, SG/Linda

CarolA
06-17-2004, 02:32 PM
I do a lot of volunteer work with Girl Scouts and some of our troops do travel with microwaves. We have had some hotel managers really let them have it about using them. This is especially true if you blow the fuses LOL! (These were NOT Disney hotels) That is just a warning.

My feeling that a microwave is fine. I generally discourage the leaders from anything else. Personally, I don't think it is good Girl scout move to cook anything smelly in the room (i.e., frying onions etc... ) Other rooms have to smell the stuff and it lingers after you leave! (We had tacos last night and I could smell the taco cooking smell in the kitchen this morning!)

We also had a troop do a crockpot. The maid unplugged it every day! WHen they finally complained the manager told them that the maids were instructed to unplug all appliances to help prevent fires and then wanted to charge them a damage depoist for cooking in the room. They called me and I told them they were on their own, I would not help them get out of the damage charge ( I think he let them go without paying it!)

DMRick
06-17-2004, 04:37 PM
I asked my mousekeeper if it was allowed and she told me that my room was cleaner than most and that many

The person to ask, would have been the manager. I'd say bet the answer would have been different, but I would no longer bet on it. Seems they let people do whatever they wish with the "rules" so as to not get anyone mad.
The maids IMO, are not the ones to ask, as they will usually say whatever you wish, since they are dependant on a tip, to get a decent wage.
There are lots of great suggestions in other threads of how to have a great meal without cooking, and of course most know that the values and mod's have microwaves you are welcome to use in the cafeteria. The rooms are not set up to clean out cooking materials, (it's a bathroom sink) and you then have to have food garbage the rest of the day, and into the next, since there is no garbage dumpster. Although our maid was very good this past trip, I noticed she wasn't able to get the big spot off the rug near the sink..she apologized, and said that they will have to replace the carpet soon, because the stain won't come up. She said something was spilled and left overnight...although it could have been something besides food, and she didn't know what it was. She did bleach it while we were there.

MOMTOMOOTOO
06-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by hercamore
Nope my dh would croak if I asked him to carry a microwave as luggage.
::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

My husband has a hard enough time bringing the kids let alone a microwave!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

SlightlyGoofy
06-17-2004, 06:02 PM
DMRick, while I see your point it does not apply here as the person I asked is the head of housekeeping and in charge of such. I have also talked to the manager and some other people on property about such and sundry. They were the ones who told me that the towel animals were NOT to be taken home. LOL It is such a difficult question on what is proper or not. There are people who do not take electrical appliances but do spill drinks (beer, ugh) and such on the carpet and bedding or do other unpleasant things in rooms. I do not do anything in the room that I would not want anyone else doing before I got there or want done in my own home. I feel that taking food from the food court back to your room could lead to problems if you are not careful too. I try not to do anything that would infringe upon anyone else or hurt any motel property, Disney or otherwise.

I still stand by my stance that a microwave is a lot safer and less messy than an electric skillet, crockpot or whatever. I use disposable plates and such as I would not think of washing dishes in a motel sink for several reasons.

I have had a hard enough time getting my mousekeepers to give me towels and such lately as they have not spoken much, if any English, so I doubt that I would ask them anything more complicated. Will not speak of the mousekeeper who short sheeted my bed on the last trip. I still left the tip but no smiley face. LOL

Anyone who wants to disagree is fine with me as long as I am allowed to disagree also. Different strokes etc. (smile)

SG/Linda

Southern4sure
06-17-2004, 07:05 PM
but I feel trying to cook anything in a hotel room is wrong. When we go on vacation anywhere, we plan a food budget. If it means saving longer to meet this budget, then that is something we have to/will do. The hotel rooms are not designed for any cooking whatsoever, unless it comes with a microwave or has a kitchenette. then you know it was designed for such. If cooking you own meals is that important, use the microwave most hotels provide in the food courts and etc. I want to save money just like everyone else, but "cooking" in a room not designed for it is dangerous and puts innocent families in jeopardy. Whether management or who gives the ok to use these items from home is not the question. Its a common sense thing. I guess WDW has been fortunate no fires have been started yet. WDW is a time for family and relaxation, but after reading what all everyone brings to "cook" in a room, is scary.
I know Im the odd ball here, but I had to give my opinion. Just because alot of people do this doesnt mean its OK and is safe.

ceecee
06-17-2004, 07:18 PM
We did have a really bad garlic smell in our room once and wondered if it was from someone cooking. We had the maid spray it and it still smelled!!!
Part of the vacation experience for me is eating out and NOT having to cook. I really don't like eating in the rooms....they just never feel clean enough! I know some of the resturants probably aren't that clean either.

SlightlyGoofy
06-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Southern, I totally agree with your right to disagree. *smile*

What makes me nervous in the DW rooms right now is the fact that they have ironing boards and irons. I am sure that there is an off switch on the irons but they still scare me silly, that and being in a room next to a smoker who is a bit tired.

It is not a money thing for me as much as staying on my diet, down about 90 pounds, and the fact that my husband needs his daily fix of grits each morning. (you have to understand that one) More and more motel/hotel rooms do have a fridge and microwave nowadays and I truly believe that DW does not offer them in every room because they do not want to lose the income from their food courts and such as well as the fact that it is easier to clean rooms if people do not cook, smoke, drink or maybe even sleep in the rooms. I am sure that they have people who do damage to the rooms and since they have the credit card number they can bill the offenders for the costs.

This is a subject that just plain has no set answer. What is right for one is not right for another. Taking baths in a room is considered perfectly alright but there are those who do not tend to it as they should and floods and such occur.

Take care and see you around the parks one fine day where we can find much to agree on I am sure, just not this particular subject. (smile)

SG/Linda

Southern4sure
06-17-2004, 07:39 PM
agree to disagree.....I understand the diet thing, I too have lost 80 lbs. and I esp. understand the grits thing, I love my grits. But when its all said and done, the hotels do provide for this, just not in each room so therefore bringing cooking appliances from home and cooking in a room is not OK.

This is a subject that just plain has no set answer. What is right for one is not right for another. Taking baths in a room is considered perfectly alright but there are those who do not tend to it as they should and floods and such occur. True, but if this happens it only causes damage to the property without placing any one in danger. With a fire, not everyone will/is going to make it out ok. There will be some casualties in a place like WDW.

and being in a room next to a smoker who is a bit tired. This is exactly why I request a non-smoking wing, at least it will give me a few more precious minutes to get out.

Im not going to say anymore on this subject. I think I have voiced a valid point in the dangers of cooking within a room. Will it make anyone stop, probably not. But at least I gave something to consider.

DMRick
06-17-2004, 07:54 PM
This is a subject that just plain has no set answer

There is a set answer. If you either write to Guest services, or ask the hotel manager (not the maid service manager..they don't get to decide what is allowed to be done in hotel rooms) you will get the official answer. I don't think you will like the official answer. I have to say that I am very surprised that a Disney hotel manager said it was ok, since they have to follow fire codes, and that was the reason I was given when I wrote guest services. That manager could have been fired for giving you permission.
IMO there is a big difference between hotels set up, with counters, ground falut interupter plugs, etc, than a motel room meant for sleeping. When food is cooked in rooms (and it may be that you wouldn't cook anything YOU wouldn't want to smell, but I don't want to smell grits) the smell gets into the bedspreads, curtains etc, which means when you leave, I get to "enjoy" the smell, or it comes in through the vent. I always ask for (and get) a non smoking building, and even then I have to smell the smoke sucked into my vent...I'd really rather not smell it in the room where I sleep. I use a vent at home to keep smells out, and never rent at hotels that have cooking in the rooms (which is prob where you should rent).
It's not about an opinion, it's about what the manager/owner of the hotel allows. The values and mods have a place for you to cook and eat your food. You even have enough chairs to go around for a family, and if you spill it on the floor, it won't affect the next guest. Byt he way..that iron does have a turn off, and if the tub overflows (which is hard, since it has an overflow hole in it) I can guarantee, you won't drown. Heck, you won't even smell it.

SlightlyGoofy
06-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Many valid points on here and being the paranoid person that I am I have to say that I agree with some. I am always afraid to share a roof with anyone, especially people I do not know.

Nothing more to be said although I can think of some. We just plain do not agree. I love America. LOL

SG/Linda

Edited to change room with roof as that is a whoooole other subject. LOL

skiwee1
06-17-2004, 09:34 PM
We always have a nice relaxing meal in our room during our trips to WDW. I agree that there are some nights that you don't want to leave the room because you are so tired. This last trip we had chicken quesadillas, grilled cheese sandwich, grilled chicken and fries. It was delicious. It was called room service. :D

snoopyandpooh
06-17-2004, 09:47 PM
We bought one to bring to WDW. We are driving down, so its not that bad. We are staying for 2 weeks, the savings on meals is more than enough to offset the cost of the microwave. I checked, the rent for a microwave is $10 per night, so for us, buying a small one makes sense, of course, provided that it is allowed in the hotel.

Bojangles
06-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by SlightlyGoofy
I truly believe that DW does not offer them in every room because they do not want to lose the income from their food courts

These rooms are not ventilated for cooking, so the smell lingers. That's why they provide microwaves for you to use in the food courts. If you want to cook, go to a DVC resort. There are also plenty of offsite resorts that have properly ventilated kitchen facilities if you can't afford DVC.

I don't want to smell some other guest's burned popcorn or festering crockpot chili. If I do, you can bet I will be contacting a manager. :wave2:

madelyn
06-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Not going to post an opinion but I did notice that A Baby's Best Friend, www.abbf.com rents microwaves for $15 for up to 3 days or $25 for a week.

dis4fun
06-18-2004, 05:02 PM
After reading this thread, I am more happy than ever to be taking my 35 ft. camper to Fort Wilderness next month!!

SlightlyGoofy
06-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Ahhhh, Bojangles. If I should ever run into you in the parks I will give you one of my biggest smiles and wish you (sincerely) well in spite of the fact that you probably have a bad habit or two of your own. If you do not have a bad habit or something that I would disagree with I will NOT give you a smile as that would irk the heck out of me. (smiling widely and with love)

I am off to other parts where I am loved. (grin) Will take my opinion with me and leave you to yours.

SG/Linda

BethR
06-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by SlightlyGoofy
Will take my opinion with me and leave you to yours.

Probably a good idea for all! ::yes:: Because it has been my experience that even IF someone spoke with and got approval from the hotel manager him/herself, there would still be any number of people who would object to taking one's own microwave into their room.

And just a reminder to all to keep things friendly or, since there is no longer a Debate Board, the thread will be closed.

Thanks! :)

Bella the Ball 360
06-18-2004, 11:05 PM
THANK GOD the Debate Board is closed. Jeesh, we are lucky that some of those people that used to be on there cannot find where some of us live. ANYTHING that in the least way was critical to WDW was grounds for a flogging or at the very least a dunking. They made me believe in reincarnation but I could never be sure if they were accusors in Salem or part of the Spainish Inquisition. I think it is small minded to jump all over someone JUST because they are toying with an idea and in this case the idea of bringing a microwave.

DisneyMomOK
06-18-2004, 11:53 PM

DMRick
06-19-2004, 01:44 AM
OKW, but since you are not sharing your return air on your HVAC anything you cooked should not inconvenience any other guest. JMHO, of course.

Have you stayed in a value or mod? The ventilation at the resorts I have stayed at (the 3 Allstars and POR) is different than anyplace else I have stayed. If someone is smokign or cooking in their rooms, the smells come through the bathroom vents..yuck. If they are cooking or smoking on the walkway the smells come in through the airconditioner under the window.

The deluxes, with micros, are set up with the right plugs and counter space, and most have a kitchen sink.

I did (as I mentioned in another thread on this), write to guest relations and was told that no cooking was allowed in the rooms, other than the coffee pot in the mods.

Yes Beth, I'm sure there is a manager out there that may say yes, but I was just talking about the "official" Disney policy. We all know that sometimes the managers, etc, give any answer the guest may want to hear, in order to not have to argue, or just "because". In any case, to me it's moot, since they supply a free micro for guests use in the cafeteria. That's darn nice of them.

Bella the Ball 360
06-19-2004, 06:19 AM
I have to laugh, people complain about the smell of food and I do admit that it can be disgusting but what about the smell of smoke. What is the difference in saftey between someone going to sleep with a cigarette in their mouth or worse a cigar (smell is horrible) or someone leaving an iron plugged in. What do they do with people who request a non smoking room if they run out OR what do they do with people who do not request a smoking room and smoke like a steam engine in it? As to fire saftey, are we saying that if you pay more then your hotel meets a higher standard relating to the fire codes? Again I need to ask why the ventalation in a more expensive DVC is better than a value?

Here is the best solution I have found to the whole problem. Forget the microwave. Stay outside the park for the same amount of money only get a suite with a complete kitchen, and a couple of bedrooms. It will open a whole new world for you. It did for me.

DMRick
06-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Believe me, I hate the smell of the smoke too (so does my asthma)! I wish I didn't have to stay in a room that had a smoker in it...especially one that has just come from the cigar shop at DTD!

I agree..if you want to cook and don't want to use the facilities provided, than staying offsite is a good inexpensive alternative.

I do know that with both the cigs and if food was to catch on fire, there are firewalls between each room. But no fire wall stops the awful stink of kiebasa and sauerkraut or chili simmering all day.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
06-19-2004, 12:47 PM
The way I look at it is if it's an item that you can rent from the hotel to have in your room- then I see no problem with just bringing your own or buying one to save the rental cost. If they don't offer it for rent- then I don't think it should be in the room.

That means -if they have fridges available for rent for a fee per day for the room- by all means bring your own or buy one if you want. It's obviously not a "no no" to have it in the room- they just don't provide it without a fee charged.

If they have microwaves available by request or for a fee for that room- then by all means bring your own or buy one and save yourself the extra cost.

But if they don't offer it -then I don't think it should be brought in the room. And that goes for microwaves, skillets/griddles, crockpots, etc. Things that CAN be dangerous and/or require special ventilation and such.

Just my opinion. I don't think that any room that doesn't have a fridge or microwave shouldn't have one brought into it- if the resort offers it for a rental fee... then it's obviously "okay" to have it in the room- they just don't offer it without the fee. So to me in that case- it would be fine to bring your own and just save yourself that extra rental fee. :)

Bojangles
06-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by DMRick
But no fire wall stops the awful stink of kiebasa and sauerkraut or chili simmering all day.

Ewwwwwww.

I don't like smoke smell either. Our last trip, we were getting in late so we spent the first night at CS. Well, we checked into our nice non-smoking room...that reeked of smoke. Bleh. Someone was apparently chain smoking in the connecting room. Since it was so late and just one night, it wasn't worth the hike all the way to the main building to try to get another room.