PDA

View Full Version : Is DCL promoting teen romance?

maryisme
06-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi,
My nephew will be traveling with us on our August 21 cruise. He is 15 so I pulled up the teen navigators to see what may interest him. As I was reading I came across an event on a Thursday at 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm called "Mix N' Match". The description for the event is as follows: Love at first sight or just lost in love?

Am I misinterpreting this or does it have romantic connotations? My nephew will be in my care while on this cruise and I guess I am just a bit concerned. I don't have a teenager in my home--my oldest DD is 9 and my youngest is 9 months so I am lacking in teenage experience :).

Any parents with teens who have participated in this event have any advice/opinion/insight? -- Anything? :)

Thanks!!!

Mary

GenieDana
06-15-2004, 08:58 PM
:tongue: No teen orgies :tongue:

hobo1947
06-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi, I have been on 5 cruises, the last one I took my 3
grandchildren 2 boys 1 girl, me all by myself. Never saw them
except at Breaksfast and Dinner. But knew they were in good
hands. The teens have a blast and meet new friends. I think
all the Disney crew are great and the best ones work with
the teenagers. When you get on the ship check out the teen
club, you will only get one chance thats because after the
first visit on the first day it is off limits to adults. They are
well looked after and very well supervised. Make sure he
goes on the Teen cruise, My three had a great time.
and best of all don't worry you paid for a great cruise go
enjoy it.
Bonnie

maryisme
06-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by GenieDana
:tongue: No teen orgies :tongue:

That eases my mind :D.

Disneycrazymom
06-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Just wanted to say HI, we will be on the Aug 21st cruise too. My ds is only 11 so I only have to worry about making flubber!;) I hope we get to meet.:D

goofysgirl
06-16-2004, 08:27 AM
3 girls all on the Magic. Two are teenagers and hanging at the Stack. No romance, but plenty of fun! My girls are jocks, not inerested in the boy tee hee thing though..... They had a blast with the scavanger hunt and all the other group activities. They did point out to me the new romances that were made on board, but those kids seem to be the type that all they are interested in is the opposite sex. These romances didn't last long either when then found out they were missing out on so much fun not getting involved in all the activities. I don't think you have anything to worry about. The teens do have a lot of freedom, but they have just as much freedom in school and after. Tell him to use his head and be responsible, he'll have a great time.
:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Rock'n Robin
06-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Ahh, vacation romance. I remember we used to go up to Michigan for a week every year and I was in love with this one guy...unfortunately he didn't know I was alive!
My oldest is 12 but my niece is 15 and I will be able to give more info about teen stuff after our upcoming trip. I can tell you I didn't see anything out of the ordinary on our Wonder trip last year.
Robin M.

maryisme
06-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Thank you all for your experiences. I feel alot better now. If my nephew were traveling with us AND HIS PARENTS I wouldn't have given it a second thought (my oldest DD is 9) :) but since I'm responsible for him, well, you know.

He is a good kid so I'm sure he will be fine. He lives in Malta and has never experienced a vacation like this. I want him to have a wonderful time and I want to be able to give him the freedom to hang out with his friends.

Thanks again!

Mary

jrabbit
06-16-2004, 11:18 AM
No teen orgies Ah romance is lost on the youth. I believe that is one of the reasons deck 7 aft is locked up at night - just a little to much hanky panky going on late at night. It may not have been kids out there doing "it" it may have been adults.

No teen orgies But you gotta remember the staff orgies:smooth: :teeth: :smooth: :teeth:

maryisme
06-16-2004, 11:33 AM
DizneyCrazyMom,

I'm sure there is a dismeet going on--hopefully this time I will get to attend. Hope to see you on the ship!!1

Mary

RKB
06-16-2004, 04:40 PM
My DD 15 did the mix and match and her and a teen guy were the "winners" - supposedly the most compatible. They all laughed it off - it was just in good fun. She did say hi to him a couple of times when we passed by him and his family. No romance due to the the game!

joanb
06-16-2004, 05:13 PM
teen romance? my son still stays in contact with a young lady after two years and went to her prom and now she is coming to see him...romance or just friends?

mmouse37
06-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Our son's friend cruised with us and he met a girl onboard...she happens to live fairly close to us and he took her to his prom a few months later....you never know!!!

MJ

NeedsNEscape
06-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Well, this is actually encouraging.. My DS15 is in an all boys school and I figured that he would never meet anyone to take to the prom. Maybe he will find someone who lives nearby. :p :p :p

disneyholic family
06-17-2004, 06:51 AM
my son was 15 on our last cruise.
Both my husband and I feel it was the turning point in his socialization. Until the cruise, he was very introverted, never left the chair in front of his computer.

On the ship, he went off to common grounds to sign up when we boarded (DH took him over). That was it. After that we only saw him for meals and he met us for the shows.

He totally adored the CMs in charge of common grounds (he still quotes them today, 2 years later). And since that cruise he has been amazingly outgoing. He became the chairman of the local youth group. Even the school prinicipal remarked about the amazing transformation.

So. I don't know what that tells you. But he very much enjoyed every single second of the cruise.

kcashner
06-17-2004, 06:36 PM
13 year old LOVED The Stack. As to it being off limits to adults...that wasn't my experience. I went up several times trying to locate DD. Never stayed, but stuck my head in.

There's NO way my kid would be in a place/program that was strictly off limits to parents. This was handled very well. I was welcomed, but certainly not encouraged to stay.

maryisme
06-17-2004, 08:54 PM
So many good experiences! It does ease my mind to hear all these positive posts. I guess I was worried for nothing. It isn't the first time- won't be the last either..lol

Thanks.

Mary