PDA

View Full Version : Dollar Rental Car Help

maggie-c
06-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Hi all,

I'll be going to Disney at the end of July and want to rent a minivan with Dollar (used them before and like them).

Using the KISS3 code from Mousesavers, I can get a minivan for my stay for around $310 (not inc tax).

I have enough miles for an Amex reward cert for $300 and was hoping to use it to pay for the rental.

Now I've been told that I can only use one and the cost with the Amex reward is $560!

That just doesn't seem right!

What do I do????

dgaston
06-15-2004, 04:23 PM
If you can hang in there for 2 weeks this link might be good for you.
http://offers.hertz.com/lastminute02.cfm?uniqueid=1075

The drawback is that Hertz is a shuttle ride away from the airport. I have been watching this link for about a month now and the Orlando offers have been consistent. I'm waiting to book for the first week of August, and this will probably be my best bet.

the true maleficent
06-15-2004, 04:42 PM
:jumping1: I have 5 cars reserved for the week of 7-05-04 thru 7-11-04 all with Dollar. The cheapest one is for $167.00 for a full size car. The trick is to check the rates every day or more often because the rates keep changing. I also joined their fastlane program and recieved a free upgrade. Try using a site called Rentalcodes.com and go to the dollar pages, it lists all the current discount codes and also changes daily. I have always used Dollar on all my trips and found them to have the best prices and no problems. Good luck.

GAIL HAYDEN
06-15-2004, 05:18 PM
why five reserved?

maggie-c
06-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for all your help.

I guess I'm just frustrated since I think I should be able to use the KISS3 code and then the Amex Reward as a type of payment.

If I reserve a full size car, what are my chances of being upgraded (with a upgrade cert) to a mini van?

psupple
06-16-2004, 01:18 PM
It's true, you cannot combine your Membership Reward certificates with a discounted price using a special code. I learned this in 2002 when I went to Orlando and rented from Dollar (or Avis or Budget, can't really remember). I booked my reservation on their website with a discount code then brought my AmEx certificates to use as "cash". No such luck.

You're better off using your rewards points for airfare or hotel reservations.

Pam

GAIL HAYDEN
06-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by maggie-c
Thanks to everyone for all your help.

I guess I'm just frustrated since I think I should be able to use the KISS3 code and then the Amex Reward as a type of payment.

If I reserve a full size car, what are my chances of being upgraded (with a upgrade cert) to a mini van?

Slim and none.

mtblujeans
06-17-2004, 01:09 PM
I have not found a shuttle ride to pick up your car a problem in Orlando. Actually, it works well for me. After the hustle and bustle of getting off the plane, collecting our luggage, keeping everyone together, and the things you are carrying, etc., the shuttle gives me a few minutes to collect myself and calm down a little before we have to drive in traffic that is heavier than at home and find a place we have never been to before. I have a tendency to get over-stimulated and that shuttle is a life-saver for me (and my family who is on the receiving end of the over-stimulation, I would imagine)!