PDA

View Full Version : To Warranty or Not that is the question.....

MaMudduck
06-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Because of the other thread regarding digital camera recommendation, I got inspired and bid & won an Olympus D-560 for $135.00- for me that's at least a $100(CDN) savings over anything I could find in Canada.

The camera is less in features than I really had wanted (Really wanted 4MP with >/=8x optical but with all the upcoming trip cost I couldn't justify the difference now)

So my questions to all you experts (Gail I'm calling your name ;) )

1) Did I get a good deal on eBay? $135.00- 3.3MP, 3x opt, 3xdig

2) Anyone else have this camera? I would love any feed back.

3) It comes with a 90day manufacturer warranty and then if I would like an extended 5year warranty I can purchase it from the seller for $39.00- Yes or NO?

4) Would you buy any extra’s , accessory kit with ‘writer/reader', camera bag, ++ other stuff (no extra flash card) an additional $65.00

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wendy

vhoffman
06-24-2004, 02:46 AM
Well, the warranty is a kind of insurance, and like any insurance, you gamble that the potential benefits outwiegh the cost. I usually never pay extra for a warranty, considering it a waste of money. However, dh bought a printer from Circuit City and got talked into buying the extended warranty for $17. Then, the printer broke down exactly one day after the manufacturer's warranty expired. Well, we just happened to have all the paperwork for the extended warranty (do keep that in a safe place--the store doesn't keep records like that). The store gave us a new printer--said it was more cost-effective for them than repairing the original one. Sometimes those warranties do come in handy!

GAIL HAYDEN
06-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by MaMudduck
Because of the other thread regarding digital camera recommendation, I got inspired and bid & won an Olympus D-560 for $135.00- for me that's at least a $100(CDN) savings over anything I could find in Canada.

The camera is less in features than I really had wanted (Really wanted 4MP with >/=8x optical but with all the upcoming trip cost I couldn't justify the difference now)

So my questions to all you experts (Gail I'm calling your name ;) )

1) Did I get a good deal on eBay? $135.00- 3.3MP, 3x opt, 3xdig

2) Anyone else have this camera? I would love any feed back.

3) It comes with a 90day manufacturer warranty and then if I would like an extended 5year warranty I can purchase it from the seller for $39.00- Yes or NO?

4) Would you buy any extra’s , accessory kit with ‘writer/reader', camera bag, ++ other stuff (no extra flash card) an additional $65.00

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wendy

I think you did very well.
YES, buy the warranty, and this is only because I did purchase the warranty extended by the seller when I purchased my first camera and I am VERY happy I did. Saved me BIG bucks when I had to have the camera repaired. I don't normally buy these, btw, but, this was a refurb and I wanted more than 90 days or protection.
NO to the assessories. You can do much better at somewhere like WalMart.

DMRick
06-24-2004, 08:46 AM
It comes with a 90day manufacturer warranty and then if I would like an extended 5year warranty I can purchase it from the seller for $39.00- Yes or NO?

I bought two of my kids this camera for Christmas 2002. One of them broke this past March. The warrenty was for a year, I had paid for it with my charge card that doubles the warranty, so it was covered. Olympus charges a flat fee (I think it was about $90) to fix it, so I sent it in (my cc paid for it) and they fixed it. So do you want to gamble the $39 that it wil break? That's the answer.

MaMudduck
06-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. Glad to know about the credit card thing.

GAIL HAYDEN
06-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by DMRick
I bought two of my kids this camera for Christmas 2002. One of them broke this past March. The warrenty was for a year, I had paid for it with my charge card that doubles the warranty, so it was covered. Olympus charges a flat fee (I think it was about $90) to fix it, so I sent it in (my cc paid for it) and they fixed it. So do you want to gamble the $39 that it wil break? That's the answer.

My extra warranty cost me exactly 8.00 (for return shipping) when my camera broke. I would definitely gamble the 39.00 on that.