PDA

View Full Version : Prepaying shipboard credit

samnick
06-15-2004, 10:23 AM
We just sent our final payment a few days ago for our Feb. 2005 cruise. Our original plan was to send credit to our account each month to build up credit by then. Unfortunately a few weeks ago my father was diagnosed with a very serious illness. We now know there is a high chance we will have to cancel. But my wife and I discussed it and decided we will still proceed assuming things will be close to normal by then. I think my family will need this trip more than anything by then. My question is if we send in the credit and have to cancel, does anyone know if it is difficult to get your prepaid credit back? To be able to afford to go it would really help us if we can still do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you:firefight

Suzanne033
06-15-2004, 10:42 AM
How do you do this? Through Disney or your TA? Is there a number to call

ivanova
06-15-2004, 11:45 AM
If you booked through a TA you might have to prepay through your TA as well (DCL told me that "anything having to do with money must be handled by your TA").

As for the refund, I don't think it would be any different than getting your cruise payment refunded ... it might take up to 30 days to get it back, but you should get it all back.

ColeenD
06-15-2004, 12:09 PM
I have prepaid some shipboard credit over the last 4 months for 2 cabins in July. I sent the info via facsimile to Disney Cruise, even got a confirming phone call a few times from "Amy". The fax # is (407) 566-7739. I actually got the idea and phone number from this board.

mostyn17
06-15-2004, 01:07 PM
If you book through a TA....you can still call and put the credit on yourself. The last 2 cruises we went through a TA and had no problems with this. I think I may of had 1 or 2 cast members that put a fuss but I just hung up on them and called back :p I think what it is, is some don't know all the rules about that stuff.

All you do is, call the main line and tell them you want to put some money on your account. However, I don't know if you can do this until after the cruise is pain in full. I have never tried it.

Hope this helps,

Travis

videogal1
06-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ivanova
If you booked through a TA you might have to prepay through your TA as well (DCL told me that "anything having to do with money must be handled by your TA").

Well, I cannot see how that could be completely true since they have a section in the stateroom gift order form located on their website where you can prepay onboard credits by credit card. Sigh, that is one of the little messes that I have to contact DCL about and I've been putting it off until the post-cruise glow has worn off...Looks like it's time...

I prepaid a Bon Voyage package as well as on- board credits for my cruise in May and, got the BV package...yummm! but the credit did not show up on my final cruise statement.

(now where's that little violin player when you want him? :charac2: )

webray
06-15-2004, 02:09 PM
You call disney directly to prepay shipboard credit, you can call disney directly, even if you book through a travel agent.

We did this, and it worked great.

Sarangel
06-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Why not just write checks to yourself & deposit them into a free checking account? We do this all the time to pay for our vacations. That way you don't have to worry about getting a refund. We also charge everything (up to our budget) on our mileage card & then pay it off from the free checking account.

Sarangel

Tera
06-15-2004, 05:55 PM
videogal - Where on the DCL website did you find that about the onboard credit?? I can't seem to find it :(

JC Butterfly
06-16-2004, 02:06 PM
The suggestion about the free checking is a good one and on the budget board there are all kinds of strategies for savings . . . but when you just aren't that responsible with money . . . I need it to go directly for the vacation or I end up spending it on some other need that I see.

So I don't imagine this happens often, but what if I "prepay" more money than I actually end up using? Do I get a refund at the end of the cruise or do I get a check sent to me at some later point?

Tera
06-16-2004, 02:17 PM
JC Butterfly - I know what you mean. I do all my banking online and if I see that I have this extra cash, I might use it. It would be nice to have that money with DCL already.

Good question regarding not using all your money (not like that would happen to us :p )

samnick
06-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the replies, sorry it took a while to respond. I work long hours and just got back home. I think we'll go ahead with our plan. Wish us luck, thanks again:firefight

DMS_cruisers04
06-17-2004, 10:31 AM
samnick, seems things got a little off topic :confused3, but in answer to your question, if would be no problem to get your pre-paid monies back. Just might take some time. The only credits you don't get back are credits applied by DCL, or other entities, that are given as amenities. Hope that helps.
And hope everything ends up okay with your father.

Dreamer04
06-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Samnick-prayers for your father. As for the prepaid credit for the cabin, I don't know. Call DCL and ask themn directly.

Good luck.

Ursula

Suzanne033
06-17-2004, 11:16 AM
I have already been buying Disney Dollar (a hundred or so a month).

Which do you think would be better Disney Dollars or Pre-paid shipboard credit?

ivanova
06-17-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Suzanne033
I have already been buying Disney Dollar (a hundred or so a month).

Which do you think would be better Disney Dollars or Pre-paid shipboard credit?
really it's the same - with Disney $$ you take them to Guest Services once onboard and apply them to your stateroom account.

samnick
06-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks again for the info. And especially for the prayers for my father. I didn't want to go in depth on his condition because these boards are a fun place to come to and I didn't want to sound too depressing. This is actually a nice break from everything to come on here and read posts for a while. But it was very nice to see a couple of posts of thoughts and prayers for my dad. Sorry if this response strays from the original topic, just felt like I needed to respond:firefight

Tera
06-28-2004, 10:38 PM
I hate to ask the same question again, but does anyone know how to prepaid your account besides buying Disney Dollars ahead of time?? If not, can I buy the DD at any store and just bring them with us when we check in?

mostyn17
06-28-2004, 10:51 PM
all you do is call disney, give them your reservation number and then tell them you want to put some money on your account. And they will ask how much and get your credit card numbers off of you .....its that easy :) ::yes::

Have a nice cruise

Travis

Tera
06-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks Travis! Now if I didn't book through Disney, can I still do that? I booked with DU

mostyn17
06-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Yes you can....i have done it when i have booked through travel agents. You just can't make changes to your reservations, you have to use a TA for that. They won't give you any problems :)

Any more question....i'm be glad to help if I can ;)

Travis

scrapperjill
06-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Samnick...more prayers for your father...and hugs for your family.:hug: I wanted to add a couple thoughts and maybe a question or two. I am also one who if I see money in the account...I can always find some thing to get with it. So what I did was start a diffrent "free" checking account at a totally new bank. That way...I can make regular deposits...but I don't always see the money there...Making saving a little easer. I also started two other accounts for my kids...to save their money. Along with the "free" account comes a visa debit card....so I can take the card...not a bunch of cash...and be able to pay dirctly out of the "trip" money....with out worrying about our other daily/bill money. With the debit card I can also acess both the kids accounts:D ...I'm thinking this will work well for us.

With the Disney dollars...I was really tempted on stocking up on them (to save) for the trip...but then I started to worry....what if we didn't spend them all??? Can they be exchanged back to regular money?? Or would you be stuck with DD....not like we all couldn't find something disney to spend them on.

I would guess it's a good idea...if you have a budget of how much you want to spend and not wanting to really go over...to pre pay as much as you can.

Tera
06-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks Travis, that really helps.

Great idea scrapperjill - I guess I find it easier if I have money already waiting for us when we get onboard. We're going to have to do a lot of saving in the next 10 months :D

KerriL
06-29-2004, 11:33 AM
For the poster who asked whether they would get their money back if by some chance there was any left over...The answer is YES. Just go to the Guest Relations desk the day before disembarkation and they will refund any and all money on your account in cash. We did this last July. I had pre-paid over $2000.00 and we used just about half. :p
Kerri

samnick
06-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Tera, using DU is easy. Just go online and sign in to your account. Go to make payment. On type of payment click OTHER. Type in notes "stateroom credit." You'll get e-mail confirmation in no time. You can do this as many times as you want:firefight

videogal1
06-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Tera
videogal - Where on the DCL website did you find that about the onboard credit?? I can't seem to find it :(

Go to the get set to sail page link on the Disneycruiseline.com web page (It's located in the banner at the top of the home page graphic.) and then click on the link that says click here for ordering information. This will give you access to a link to the order form, which, at the bottom, has a section you can fill out for FAXing your on-board credits. ::yes::

videogal1
06-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Tera
I hate to ask the same question again, but does anyone know how to prepaid your account besides buying Disney Dollars ahead of time?? If not, can I buy the DD at any store and just bring them with us when we check in?

Tera, check your previously posted question about the location of the early payment of on-board credit form.... :wave2:

Suzanne033
06-30-2004, 12:07 PM
I could not find the place on disneycruise.com to prepay for shipboard credit.

I looked in the Get Ready to Sail section.

I booked through a TA. Is it possible that I will not be able to use this service because of that?

Suzanne033
06-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Sorry about that, I'm not very good at following instructions.

Tera
06-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks Videogal1, I found it :)