PDA

View Full Version : pool problems!. ever happen to you?

samoyed
06-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Went to the Mickey pool early on Day at Sea on the Wonder at 8:15...

VERY LONG STORY... short version here... One couple reserved 30 chairs by the pool. (lifeguard informed me of this)..

Family didn't show for hours.... Disney did NOTHING..... I was very surprised by this. The family used profanty on Us and other family's and threatened us.... and told the Crew Officer that his lifeguard was lying.. We were on the second deck... Again Disney did nothing and they had one of their crew members watching the whole thing. The officer was standing next to my husband while the family was screaming at him.

Really scared me... Anybody else have security issues with Disney Cruise Line.

markm0926
06-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Thats one thing that shouldn't be tolorated! Saving chairs like that. A HUGE pet peve of mine.
I've seen it a million times on other cruise lines.
I really wish they would enforce this rule!

mmouse37
06-14-2004, 11:22 AM
What do you mean you were on the second deck and disney did nothing...I am not understanding that part.

I am also surprised that DCL did nothing about that couple saving all those chairs....that is so wrong!!!

Those people sound like jerks and too bad they ruined yours and so many others enjoyment of the Mickey Pool. So...DCL still did nothing about the situation???

MJ

Zandy595
06-14-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm also confused about the second deck comment. :confused:

The lifeguard told you you couldn't use the chairs because a group of 30 was saving them? That's not right. I've read that CM's don't enforce a lot of rules, but to have the lifeguard tell you that is ridiculous.

samoyed
06-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Sorry for the confusion.. Like I said this is a really long story that I condensed down for this post. When My husband got to the pool he noticed that the 30 chairs were occupied with the white pool towels...... No people. the lifeguard told my husband that "see that couple , they put all those towels down on the chairs themselves".... We then moved to the second deck to get some chairs. The couple took every chair on the starboard side of the ship at the Mickey pool. If you sit on the port side of the ship you cannot observe your children at the pool because the Mickey slide blocks your view. We took two chairs and a table to watch our daughter on the slide and the pool.

Once a few more family members came they walked up the stairs to my husband and me... they tried to provoke my husband into a fight but he just sat in his chair with the younger guy "in his face".. My husband kept saying "stand back" back off" etc all the while with the Crew member standing next to my husband. The family of three finially walked away .. said to stay away from them that there are 52 of them to deal with.... and that she only was saving 10 chairs while the family was having breakfast so the lifeguard was lying... When they walked away so did the Crew Officer... I felt very scared and vulerable then.... My husband then went to cool off in the Goofy pool and was confronted by another couple that complained about the chairs before we got there. She said the family just harrased them too.

I can understand saving a few chairs... but 30 is just plain rude...

I still tremble when I think about this situation....

KaitlinsMom
06-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Isn't it sad when you need security around for the adults?

The CM was probably a young kid - but he should have called security - He also should have taken the towels off when the couple layed down 30 of them!

I am so sorry you had to go through this -

samoyed
06-14-2004, 12:53 PM
That would mean the second pool level deck... I guess this is called deck 10 on the ship....

NYDisneyMom
06-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Zandy595
I'm also confused about the second deck comment. :confused:

The lifeguard told you you couldn't use the chairs because a group of 30 was saving them? That's not right. I've read that CM's don't enforce a lot of rules, but to have the lifeguard tell you that is ridiculous.

And I thought there were no lifeguards on DCL. I certainly didn't see any on our cruise. ??

samoyed
06-14-2004, 01:18 PM
There are two lifeguards at the Mickey pool ... One at the top of the slide guiding the kids down... and One at the bottom of the slide..

Never went to another pool so I don't know about lifeguards there....

This was the case on Both Disney Wonder cruises I took.

mmouse37
06-14-2004, 01:38 PM
The Mickey pool has recreation staff CM's keeping an eye on things but I do not know if they are full fledged "lifeguards".

One is stationed near the bottom of the slide and one at the top.

The other pools do not have lifeguards and it is swim at own risk.

MJ

Lisa loves Pooh
06-14-2004, 01:58 PM
That certainly deserves a letter to DCL. The problem (though it is one) isn't that the family saved so many chairs with CM approval. The problem is that you were verbally attacked by another passenger over an unallowable action (the deckchair saving) with an "official" CM/Officer to observing the harrasment and doing nothing to come to your aid.

I complained to another cruise line over mistreatment at dinner when they gave us our cake for our honeymoon (an expected and usually welcomed gesture). To the regular person--everything looked normal--but to us, we were humiliated b/c they delayed the cake and we had some place to be and tried to leave and the waiter would not let us leave. We complained b/c even though moments like that are special--there is no need to hold people "hostage" for that moment. The cruise line sent us a $250 gc for dinner as well as an apology.

Just saying that--in this situation--since you were personally verbally attacked as a CM witnessed it--DCL should be able to track down staffing reports to find out who was on deck that day and properly educate them on how to handle the matter in the future. In a perfect world, they could track down that family and ban them from all future cruises :wave2:. (And hey, a little on board credit for your trouble wouldn't hurt either ) :hyper:.

Bottom Line--inform DCL, the sooner the better--and be sure to give a detailed accounting of the incident and send it to the highest possible person on the totem pole. Do not be afraid to talk about how you feared your safety, how you felt violated, et cetera. Focus on those things primarily. You can complain about the saving of the deck chairs as well--but if you focus on that, you will just get a standard "we try to make all guests happy approach.(In our situation--our TA actually wrote a complaint on our behalf as their were other issues on our cruise--but the dining situation was addressed first and foremost in her letter and was very much paid attention to in the response of the cruise line).

Good luck!

TammiMcMan
06-14-2004, 02:00 PM
That does sound a bit scary and I don't know how I would have handled the situation. For the most part, we saw unsupervised kids who were jumping and rough housing in the Goofy pool and some parents that you just kind of shake your head at, but nothing like what you've described. I'm trying to remember if I even noticed a security guard on board other than when we were still at Port Canaveral. That was the only day that they had a cm located at the bottom of the slide too. On our other 2 days, it was only someone sitting in the chair at the top of the slide.

In hindsight, if you had a cm nearby, then I would have engaged him in the conversation and asked him to call security if he couldn't handle the situation. These people definitely crossed the line and to make a threatening statement like that is horrifying. Did you not meet up with this group again while on your cruise and decide to just let it go? I think it still might be worth a follow up with DCL though. Sounds like they might need to better train their cm's.

samoyed
06-14-2004, 02:08 PM
I did write a letter to Disney already... My main point is not the deck chairs.. it was the fear of my safety..... I informed Disney I was in Disney world exacly one week after 9/11 and I never was afraid... but this last trip I was very afraid....

Disney did nothing... and the Crew Member next to my husband was an officer... White uniform and all .... not a kid either... older gentleman

Even if they sent a little apology and a cheap bottle of wine I would have felt they addressed the situation... but they did nothing at all... Certain not the Disney way.....

The remainder of our trip was Magical as always staying in the Swan.

RSJC
06-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Completely understand about the chair thing. On the top strap of the chairs it states “ NO RESERVING CHAIRS FOR LONG PERIODS”. I was on the Wonder two weeks ago and the same problem was going on then. I was alone with my daughter so one chair was never really a problem but two together would have been. After seeing the chair saving the first day I started to watch people while I watched my daughter that thought she needed to be in the pool from 11am to 5pm. People come out to the pool mark their chairs with personal items and leave for hours. 80% of the chairs at the Kiddy/Slide pool went unused because of this. I even followed one couple around and they had chairs at the other pool too. They had kids of different ages so they had spots at both pools. It’s crazy and I’m not sure what can be done other than just stand your ground and don’t give in because what can the chairs savers do to you anyway.

I only had one person get rude with me about a chair, I just told him that his stuff was on the ground and the chair looked unused “SORRY”, I stay in the chair and he huffed off not to return. I’m not going to take any _ _ _ _ off chair savers.

invaderzim
06-14-2004, 02:19 PM
You really should contact DCL immediately. If you give them a detailed description (date, time of day, etc.), I bet they can get in touch with that CM and probably figure out what party that was (especially with that many people involved).

I don't think ANYONE should be allowed to "own" an area like that. They seem to think that majority rules and the more in their party, the bigger say they have. Well, guess what, we all paid for that cruise and we all have equal rights.

I do fault DCL/Cm for not doing something though. That's 30 people out of 2,000 that spoiled the cruise for many many people that morning.

Lisa loves Pooh
06-14-2004, 02:19 PM
That is terrible--sounds like you got a canned response--you can always keep writing.

The squeeky wheel gets the grease!

Nysie
06-14-2004, 02:20 PM
That is so awful! People wonder why kids are so badly behaved- look at their parents!!

carolsherman
06-14-2004, 02:21 PM
If it were me I would have gotten security myself and pointed the family out.

Greysword
06-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Wow, Boat Rage....:boat: :badpc: :sad2:

I am sorry you had to face that. Unfortunately, it happened in international waters, otherwise you may have been able to harrass them with some sort of legal challenge. :p

I wonder why an officer was following them and they had such a large party. It would be neat to rumage through the roster to see if someone who thought they were important saved a bunch of rooms. mayeb it was one of those corporate saves I've heard about on here.

I also wonder what the local news would think abotu this incident and if they can get some of that info...:scratchin

DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
06-14-2004, 02:44 PM
How horrible!!!

WMILLER86
06-14-2004, 03:38 PM
The only way to handle chair savers is to just put their stuff the ground and play innocent. Then stay in your chair.

My stock answer is "It was only "saved" if your butt was in it!"

Or "How can that chair be "saved"? Does it have a soul?!"

I must confess that I have both taken saved chairs, and had my "saved" chair taken when I stayed away too long! Both cases are too bad, so sad!

daipp
06-14-2004, 03:46 PM
I regulary take chairs and I'll stand my ground over it - the bullies will always back off!

3DisneyNUTS
06-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by daipp
I regulary take chairs and I'll stand my ground over it - the bullies will always back off!
There are always 2 sides to this but in this case this was wrong. OTOH I have had my stuff moved at Blizzard beach while I was in the pool with my almost 3 year old. We had our dry stuff all over the ground when we got out of the pool. So some really "nice" person wanted our chair and took it. Not just put their behinds in it but moved it. We came back to our stuff on the groung all wet from a pig who stole our chair. And trust me with an almost 3 year old we could not have been in the water for more than 20 minutes. Little did I know I needed to watch my stuff from the water since we were in the pool! Sickening IMO. Plus of course I was even trying to be nice and put all of our stuff on one chair. It wasn't even like we tried to save 3 chairs just one for our family.

NAT&MAGSMOM
06-14-2004, 04:58 PM
If this problem ever arises again....for anyone.....

Ask to have the Chief of Security report to the Mickey Pool or Deck 10 or wherever the altercation is taking place. And if that didn't work...then I'd ask to see the Captain!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is in charge!!!!

I work for our local fire department...and if the "underlings" don't satisfy the public...then they ask to see or speak to the Fire Chief...because he is in charge of the whole department..just like the Captain is in charge of the whole ship!!!! Go right to the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO....Saving 30 chairs is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of..

Phyllis

::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo

buzz&woody'smom
06-14-2004, 05:40 PM
We had a similar problem on the Magic last fall. It was fall break and a sold out sailing. My MIL, my Mom, my Dad and my 2 sisters and myself were at the Mickey pool with my 2 boys. We had a group of 8 but took only 2 chairs since we could share and we were taking turns in the pool with the boys. My MIL stayed in her chair all day and was reading and such.

Well both of my sisters got in the pool to watch my sons so I could use the restroom and my MIL was still reading in her chair. I went to the restroom. While I was in the restroom my MIL got up for a few minutes to go get an ice water from the drink station. In the few minutes it took to do this she came right back to our 2 chairs and a "couple" had dumped our things (3 tote bags, towels, toys, sunblock, hats, MIL reading glasses and a open book) off our 2 chairs.

I came back from the restroom right after it happened and saw my MIL just standing there in shock. I asked her what was wrong and she told me and I saw our things in a pile. I told the couple in a very nice way there were 8 of us using the 2 chairs and I had run to the bathroom and my MIL was getting water from the drink station. I asked why they had taken our chairs and dumped our things off?

Anyway it got ugly and this "man" yelled at us and it was really awful...............he really made a fool out of himself but it really embarrassed us since we had done nothing wrong. I personally dislike "chair savers" and we had not done that. In fact we had been sharing our 2 chairs with 2 of us in a chair talking, eating etc.

My Dad came over but the guy was already yelling at me and I wished my DH was cruising with us because I felt scared which sounds silly but come on the "man" and his wife had thrown our things off the chair after being gone less than 5 minutes. In our case there were a few other people around who took up for us and told this couple to chill out or they would call for security (which I had not thought of).

Anyway the rest of the cruise this "man" did everything he could everytime he saw us to say something very loud and rude and so did his children. I guess it is how they behave at home but is was a little scary.

My 2 year old had come out of the pool with one of my sisters and was crying because he did not know why that "man" was yelling at us..............I did not yell back but I was adamant that what they had done was rude and just wrong.

I could have let it go and let them have the chairs but we had done nothing wrong.

I am sorry this happened to you. I think 2 chairs is too much but 30 is just silly that is one whole side of the pool. :(

B&W Mom

inkkognito
06-14-2004, 05:46 PM
I would most definitely have gotten security involved. There is no reason to feel threatened on your vacation, and I can't imagine any possible way those people could have justified their actions.
We don't lay out in the sun so I have never experienced chair rage, but I had a similar issue in the Walt Disney Theater a couple of cruises ago. I was one of the first people in, and I went down to the front row. A couple of people were already seated, and a teenager was standing there. As I sat, he said, "These seats are saved," indicating the entire rest of the row. I said, "You can't save an entire row," and he said, "I'm not" (meaning he wasn't saving the two seats that were already occupied. I sat down and said, "Read the Navigator. It's against policy to save ANY seats. I wouldn't mind if you were saving a couple, but that's ridiculous. If you have a problem with it, go complain to a crew member." He huffed off, and that's the last I saw of him, but I would not have hesitated to summon security (and I'm the kind who would yell for them and make a scene if necessary) if he hadn't backed down.
After I sat down, a woman and her granddaughter sat next to me. The woman said he had told her granddaughter the same thing, and being a kid, she didn't challenge him. I wnder how many people fall for that nonsense.
Barb

3DisneyNUTS
06-14-2004, 05:49 PM
B&W mom that is just as horrible, violence should not be tolerated at all, that man should not have been permitted to yell at you like that. Plus the point is that the chairs are in use not being saved that is the disgusting part of it. I would never take someone's things off a chair and never will. I know when I go on the cruise for the first time this NOV I will probably encounter this annoying chair saving but IMO if there is just a pool towel on the chair then that should not be allowed. Personal belongings are completely different!

I am telling you for the $$ DCL cost I will not stand for any kind of this crud when we are cruising. I will go out of my way to make sure someone treating me that way infront of children no less, will be dealt with. Management on the DCL should not allow other cruisers to threaten another. That is just sick!

ThreeCircles
06-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by daipp

Good for you Daipp!

We've never had problems at the pools (as we don't really "lay" out by them) but we have had many problems in the Walt Disney Theater during the shows. People attempting to save a whole row of seats. Yeah, right. I always remind them that the Personal Navigators state no saving of chairs at the pools or in the theater. It always helps to whip out a copy so they can see it with their BIG, FAT eyes if needed! :)

In my opinion, you're either using a chair or you're using the pool. Last time I checked, no one could do both at the same time. If you get in the pool for 15 or 20 minutes, and your stuff is moved, here's an idea, find a new chair! You wern't using it anymore! You were in the pool!

HappyMommy2
06-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Oh dear--first time cruiser here, and now I am worried about our stuff getting thrown on the ground! There will be 4 of us but I was hoping we could keep one chair the whole time we are at the pool, even if we are all in the pool together for a little while. If we shouldn't save a chair for even 20 minutes, where should we put our stuff while we are in the pool together?

Does DCL have cubbyholes or some other dry place by the pool where we can place our sunscreen, towels, etc. before we get in the pool so they won't get put on the ground?

BTW, to the OP, what a horrible experience you had...I am so sorry! Seems like people jump so quickly to rage these days :(

inkkognito
06-14-2004, 08:45 PM
I don't think you have to worry about leaving items for 20 minutes, especially if you are in the area. The people who get their items "dumped" are the ones who plop them there in the early morning and don't show up for an hour or more. Personally, I figure that someone will generally be around an occupied chair to show some signs of life and ownership within 30 minutes...maybe not to sit in it, but to get some sun lotion or whatever. And you're only talking one chair...the "hogs" are people who leave one shoe per chair on half a dozen chairs.
Personally, I'd love to see cubbies, as hubby and I are not "lay out in the sun" kind of people. We put all our stuff on one chair while in the pool if the area is not crowded. If it is, we put our stuff on a handy ledge. If they had cubbies, that's what we'd always use.
Barb

natdencro
06-15-2004, 06:21 AM
We are early birds and were always up and walking around the ship approx 6.30am. Every day there were at least 20 towels ALREADY PARKED on chairs when we went to get a drink from Deck 9 coffee station. Guess these selfish folks set their alarm, deposit towels and head back to bed? How mean can you get.Nat:Pinkbounc

crisi
06-15-2004, 07:51 AM
You might want to bring a beach bag. One of those nice plastic ones will hold your book and other stuff you don't want to get wet. Then you can find a corner to stick it in if you aren't going to use a chair (or set it on a chair, but now you aren't worried as much about wet if someone moves your stuff for the chair). DCL provides towels, so we just grab those getting OUT of the pool.

I do wish they had cubbies. We would put the whole family's stuff on one chair and never had a problem (never used the chair for anything but stuff storage when we were in the pool). I also wish Disney (on the ship and at the resorts) would enforce a "parking limit" of half an hour - tend your stuff every half an hour or Disney moves it to "lost and found."

One of the other things you might want to know is that you can't really watch the pool from any of the deck chairs. The anxious parents don't sit in chairs, they sit on the edge of the pool. The Mickey pool has the slide blocking half of it from the view of the chairs and tables, and the ten chairs in the first row where you might be able to see your kids from are too far away. The Goofy pool has a raised wall and is fairly deep, if you want to see your kids, you need to be standing or sitting near the edge. We had good luck with the Goofy pool on port days and early in the morning - apparently it can get quite crowded - its smaller than the average home in-ground pool. I wouldn't feel comfortable having my kids in there unless it was empty and I was in there (which we did) or unless they were tall enough to stand easily (mine weren't) and fairly strong swimmers. As the ship moves, the Goofy pool becomes a small wave pool - with some big waves.

And if you don't care about seeing your kids, there are plenty of chairs all over the ship in less "prime" locations.

invaderzim
06-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by inkkognito
I don't think you have to worry about leaving items for 20 minutes, especially if you are in the area. The people who get their items "dumped" are the ones who plop them there in the early morning and don't show up for an hour or more. Barb

Actually, according to a poster on a similar thread, that is not true. Their feeling was, and I quote, "I'll watch a chair for 5 minutes or so to be sure that it is really "saved," not that someone has just run to the bathroom. Then move their stuff to the nearby ground and sit. The chairs say "No Saving" on them, and the Navigator clearly states the policy. My feeling is that anything past 5-10 minutes is "saving."

My response to him was how unfair that is. Where are people in the pool expected to put their stuff? My feeling is that if there are just towels or a shoe on the chair, then it is saving. However, if there are personal items, then obviously those people are in that area and will be coming back.

What I find disheartening among all these threads about "chair saving" is that because so many have abused it, and gotten away with it, that the general consensus now is that unless you are physically sitting in the chair, you are not allowed to have one! Not even if you are a family of three and only took one chair for all your stuff.

So I guess now we have to look forward to finding our stuff on the wet ground if we are all in the pool together.

Does anyone know if this also happens at the adult pool?

Minnie&Mickey
06-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by invaderzim
Does anyone know if this also happens at the adult pool?

We didn't have any trouble with this at the adult pool on our cruise last week. Of course, we were only on the 3 day, so maybe it was because we didn't have a day at sea. But on Nassau day, my husband, oldest daughter and I hung around at the adult pool from about noon time until around 4 and there always seemed to be available chairs.

christinou
06-15-2004, 09:12 AM
I feel really awful for the bad experiences some people have had, but to reassure people who have never cruised, we have been on 2 cruises so far, both sold out, and have never experience any of this.......

disneyokw
06-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Which cruise did you take? We were on the Wonder on the 4 day cruise on May 16th. Meet a group of 55 people who were there celebrating someone's 50th wedding anniversary. I was wondering if it was a member from this group. We met several members of this group and there were great.

On Castaway Cay while my mother played in the water I was stuck watching the hammock on the adult beach. My mother wanted the hammock because my father could never get to one in time. Anyway I had to keep running up from the water to stop people from throwing our things on the floor. I even had the water bottle strappes interweaved into the hammock and woven my shirt and tied my shoes into the hammock. They even tried to untie them. It gave me enough time to run up to them and ask them what did they think they were doing.

invaderzim
06-15-2004, 10:31 AM
I'm just wondering -- and maybe some other cruisers can verify this for me with their experiences -- but does this seem to happen more on the Wonder than the Magic?

Most of the threads I have read lately about chair savers and spa hogs, etc., seem to be from people who are on the Wonder. Is there less of this nonsense on the Magic? Maybe because it's a 7-day cruise and more time for recreation?

Just curious....:confused:

UMTerp
06-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Nope, happens on the Magic too. Spring break trip this year saw one shoe on one chair, another on another. One bottle of suntan lotion on a chair, a book on one chair. All of the chairs in the first rows were taken by stuff before 9AM. No one showed up for at least an hour. One family of four (one in a stroller) reserved 4 chairs that way. Only saw them use one for anything other than stuff - guess the guy didn't need those shoes - for more than 4 hours while my DD was in the pool. Most of the chairs went unused for most of that time. I asked a CM about moving some things when I got there. He moved a chair down from deck 10 for me instead. That was OK for me but what about everyone else?

samoyed
06-15-2004, 10:44 AM
I was on the May 16th cruise.

inkkognito
06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Wow, I've had a hammock on the adult beach multiple times, and I've never had anyone try to remove our items!! I am usually close at hand in the water anyway, so they wouldn't get too far.
I did have someone ask to share our hammock once...actually, she asked if we were leaving (it had drizzled, so we were consolidating our stuff into our bags), and I told her no but offered to share. If someone asked, I have no problem with that, but don't touch my stuff! I don't see hammocks in the same light as pool chairs...people accept that you claim a beach chair for the day, since you are nowhere near your stateroom, and I think the hammocks should go to those who wake up early. JMHO...often we don't even bother with a hammock when we're going to be having an active day, and if I wanted once late, I would head to the four by Heads Up Bar that are almost never used.
Barb

goin2disneyagain
06-15-2004, 06:45 PM
It is rude and inconsiderate for them to "save" 30 chairs but it is childish and immature for them to threaten and harrass you over something like that. That is crazy. DCL should really have done something about that, especially when you were threatened. :(

gamom
06-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Considering that there are so few hammocks on Castaway Cay, I always find it extremely rude for one family to claim one for the ENTIRE day. I think the hammock rule should be as follows: Anyone is welcome to relax in a hammock. When you get up to go swimming, etc., someone else can immediately take a turn. No one should be able to lay claim on a hammock all day. Lets be honest folks, how much time do actually spend in the hammock?
I find the " Hooray for us and the heck with you" attitude disturbing.

Go ahead, bring on the flames.

3DisneyNUTS
06-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by gamom
Considering that there are so few hammocks on Castaway Cay, I always find it extremely rude for one family to claim one for the ENTIRE day. I think the hammock rule should be as follows: Anyone is welcome to relax in a hammock. When you get up to go swimming, etc., someone else can immediately take a turn. No one should be able to lay claim on a hammock all day. Lets be honest folks, how much time do actually spend in the hammock?
I find the " Hooray for us and the heck with you" attitude disturbing.

Go ahead, bring on the flames.

I agree with this to an extent. Claiming the hammock leaving for a swim and coming back to it is not unreasonable BUT claiming the hammock for an entire day is selfish IMO. I hope our cruise isn't a free for all where people rush around to get spots, hammocks, to the buffet etc. I want to relax and I am afraid this may not be the right thing to do. God I hope we don't see alot of this :(

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
06-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by carolsherman
If it were me I would have gotten security myself and pointed the family out.

I got this far in the thread and had to respond before reading the rest... because the entire time I'm thinking- the officer is standing right there... why didn't you or your husband turn to him and ask him what he was going to do about the other guests behavior? or say something to the effect that this person is threatening me and/or I feel I need you to handle this situation to protect me as your guest.
Heck, knowing me I probably would have turned to him and said hello? earth to Disney Cruiseline officer? Are you going to DO anything about this?

LOL
But that's just me.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
06-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Ugh.
Read the rest of the thread and gotta tell ya... all this talk about chair hogs, spa hogs, and hammocks taken up first thing in the morning all day by the same people... it's really making me think maybe we should just take another trip to Jamaica instead of going on this cruise. That is not my idea of fun or relaxing at all- worrying about having a chair the entire cruise. :(

3DisneyNUTS
06-16-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo
Ugh.
Read the rest of the thread and gotta tell ya... all this talk about chair hogs, spa hogs, and hammocks taken up first thing in the morning all day by the same people... it's really making me think maybe we should just take another trip to Jamaica instead of going on this cruise. That is not my idea of fun or relaxing at all- worrying about having a chair the entire cruise. :(

me too :( Hopefully the need for a chair will not be great since we will be in the pool with DS. It is such a pet peeve of mine when people act like they live alone on this world and take no one else into consideration. We all pay good $$ to cruise and I understand the want of a chair but the entitlement that some have that they are the only ones entitled to their "fair share" at the expense of others is wrong IMO.

I mean if everyone just used the chairs when needed they would not have this silly chair saving anyway. With so much to do on the ship not everyone will be at every pool and on sea days people could just be a little more cooperative and not be chair hogs. UGH

I too am worru=ied this will be a nightmare.

RSJC
06-16-2004, 08:32 AM
from what I saw this was only a problem at the Mickey pool.... There was only about 30 to 40 chairs in a small area. This is the main pool for small children.

samoyed
06-16-2004, 08:47 AM
While the Crew Officer was next to my husband.... my husband said multiple times to him.... Please get him away from me, have him move back...etc .... The Crew Officer did nothing except at one point put his hand out in front of the offending family. Of course at that point he was "in my husband's face" and the officer was afraid a punch was coming next.

I must commend my husband on his self control. Normally my husband would probably have stood up and waited for that first punch which he could have blocked and returned fire. My husband may be short but he is a power house. Remember this all happened at the Mickey pool a "kiddie pool"! my husband did not want to frighten any children there let alone make a scene in front of little children. My husband complained to the officer after the family left and then went to Guest Services later in the day to complain also. NOTHING..... He informed them this is certainly not the "Disney Way".

As far as Castaway Cay and saving chairs I saw no problems there. Don't fear this on your vacation. I hope my incident was rare. Usually people are very considerate on Castaway Cay.

samoyed
06-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Just at the end of the confrontation.... The offending family did state "Hay, I've been arrested before"... Well my husband could not resist a comment like that and replyed " Well, then you should know better".

My question is Does Disney really have Security on their ships.. In the Parks you see them walk around in their Blue shirts with Security written on them..... On the Ship I saw no blue uniforms.... Do they wear white like the officers..... I believe they should say "security" on them if they are a security officer. I can never remember what all those strips on their sleeves mean.

When we went of the tour of the Bridge the girl in her white shirt gave the tour. I thought she was a bridge officer. Until she could not answer my husband's questions and then later that night I saw her dancing in the Theatre show. Obviously she was a cruise dirictor.

When we cruised RCCL in their version of the Navigator they had a chart of what those emblems on their sleeves mean and who they are

floridaminnie
06-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Yes they do have security on the ship.

inkkognito
06-16-2004, 09:58 AM
GaMom,
No flames from me, but no changed mind either. If I care enough about a hammock to get up early, I have a problem with someone toddling off the ship after sleeping in and then expecting to take it because I'm off having a swim or grabbing some food. If you ask me nicely, I'll be glad to share it. But if you expect to disembark at 11 a.m. and then claim it, that's not gonna happen. (it least not with me).
On the same token, I can't imagine the late-comers all tossing people's stuff off the best beach chairs just because people who got there early are off swimming, eating, snorkeling, or whatever and not in the chairs. Same thing with the hammocks. If getting one is important to you, wake up early or go down to Heads Up Bar.
Barb

gamom
06-16-2004, 10:18 AM
FYI, I left my husband and daughter at the dock where the fishing trip leaves from at 8:40am (They had to be there at 8:30 for the Bottom Fishing trip) and I headed directly to the beach. Too late - all the hammocks were taken! Please don't make judgements until you know the facts. I'm an early riser - no TODDLING OFF THE SHIP LATE for me.

IrishCowboy
06-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Gamom,
On our 5/15/04 Magic cruise, we were off the ship at 9:15 and grabbed a hammock. Around 10:45 my DS (7) and I walked over the the game pavillon and the 4 hammocks near the Heads Up bar were still unoccupied. Sounds like you were just unlucky and happened to be on a cruise with a bunch of Dis-ers who know that the hammocks go fast. Hopefully, you will get one on your next cruise.

mrsltg
06-16-2004, 10:42 AM
I'm with Barb. If I am using a hammock and get up to use the ladies room, grab a drink, or take a quick dip, I am sorry, the hammock should not be snapped up by someone else. I would be happy to share, but come on, there is a fine line....

Erin :D

inkkognito
06-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Gamom, I believe you...you just have to know where to look.
After 38 cruises, I have a decided advantage. I guarantee you that you can almost always (actually, literally always in my experience) get a hammock by Heads Up Bar. People just don't know that they're there.
The situation is worse on the adult beach because there are only three or four hammocks. If you're not on the first tram, forget it.
Barb

Minnie&Mickey
06-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by IrishCowboy
Gamom,
On our 5/15/04 Magic cruise, we were off the ship at 9:15 and grabbed a hammock. Around 10:45 my DS (7) and I walked over the the game pavillon and the 4 hammocks near the Heads Up bar were still unoccupied. Sounds like you were just unlucky and happened to be on a cruise with a bunch of Dis-ers who know that the hammocks go fast. Hopefully, you will get one on your next cruise.

Same thing on our Jun 10th cruise last week. We got off the ship early and were able to find plenty of empty hammocks toward the end of the family beach. We used the second to the last one on the beach. The four hammocks by the Heads Up bar were unoccupied for the majority of the time we were there.

buzz&woody'smom
06-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Just for clarification with our group of 8....... I spent the entire time sitting on or in the ears with my 2.5 year old and watching my 5 year old as well. At least one of my sisters and my Dad were with me or one of the boys the whole time. I agree that it is not safe for little ones to be watched from the chairs and that is not what we were doing but my Dad and 2 Sisters were taking turns helping me with the boys in the pool and reading, eating, talking in our 2 chairs while my MIL stayed the whole time except for using the restroom and getting water in her chair. My Mom who is disabled sat on her scooter in the shade watching the boys play and did not even take up a chair.............we only used these 2 chairs for a couple of hours but as I stated I left to use the restroom while my Dad and both sisters watched my boys (I am paranoid about them in water) until I got back. My MIL spent the whole time in her chair reading and just happened to get up and get a water while I was in the restroom and my sisters and Dad were watching the boys. Point being we were not gone for more than 5 minutes or leaving a bottle of sun block on the chairs but not using them................just to reassure everyone who may not know. The couple that yelled at us is not the norm for a DCL cruise. Everyone is usually so nice and in such great moods to be sailing DCL that this was not normal. But you run in to odd balls everywhere and it was just my experience not near as bad as saving 30 chairs! Go and have a great time :earseek:

samoyed
06-16-2004, 12:33 PM
You can't control the idiots on a Cruise. 30 chairs is certainly not the norm. Most people on the Disney ship are nice... Lets face it most are familys that have waited a long time to take this trip. It's not cheap.... I'm not angry with Disney about the chairs.... I'm angry because I feared for my safety and they did nothing...

On a 4-day cruise, the bahamas day and the day at sea were mainly spent at the Mickey pool. The bahamas day we arrived at the pool late. We went into town for an hour. We took one chair behind the Mickey slide and husband and I took turns watching daughter. All the other chairs were taken. I expected this, after all I arrived late. I also like to be on top of my daughter when she is in the pool. But since she was doing the slide non-stop for a few hours I figured I could sit and watch her from the chairs instead of standing in the Mickey pool. Lets face most kids do not sit in the chairs. I only saw a few kids sitting in chairs when they were eating, then back on the slide or in the pool. For the 10 minutes it takes a kid to eat they can share a chair with Mom or Dad.

drdelsol
06-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Chair grabbing is everywhere. There are several amusing travel articles about it out there. Bernie Mac even used it as one of the themes in a show earlier this year.

This on my list of things that in theory shouldn't exists, like tailgating or people who make unsolicited rude comments about someones appearance. Everyone pretty much universally says they hate people who act this way, yet there are still people doing it.

A little more golden rule and it wouldn't be a problem.

buzz&woody'smom
06-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Chair grabbing is one reason my my family and I are going to Playa to a AI Resort for our summer vacation before my DH deploys again :( It sounds crazy:crazy: but I picked this resort because every review I read said there was NO "towel game playing" and plenty of chairs with shade at the beach and pools. I have melanoma skin cancer so I am very aware of my hours and exposure to the sun and I will use this opportunity to remind everyone to do the same. I also dislike the chair game...... When my boys and I cruise this October on the Magic I am sure everything will be fine and like I said earlier and the last poster stated everyone on the ship is usually there to have fun and excited to be on board and get to share in a really magical experience.

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

samoyed
06-21-2004, 09:43 AM
I received a quick e-mail from Disney. Stating they will have an executive cast member look into the situation and that I should hear from them again via the US postal service.

Sounds like a canned response to me.

invaderzim
06-21-2004, 09:49 AM
I, too, sent an email about this situation and received what seemed like a formatted response via email. I am still waiting to hear back from the letter I sent 6 weeks ago about expanding the teen clubs!

Dreamer04
06-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi all. I hope this security issue is addressed.

As for pool chairs and hammocks-when I am with my DD at the Mickey Pool I usually stand around awhile and see which chairs are empty the longest. I then will take one-if it is in a convienent location. I won't grab a chair just for the sake of haviing one.

The hammocks? Honestly, I never saw the attraction of them. IMHO, they are uncomfortable.

Ursula

anlashokna
06-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by natdencro
We are early birds and were always up and walking around the ship approx 6.30am. Every day there were at least 20 towels ALREADY PARKED on chairs when we went to get a drink from Deck 9 coffee station. Guess these selfish folks set their alarm, deposit towels and head back to bed? How mean can you get.Nat:Pinkbounc

Just on principle I would have happily removed all those towels and dumped them elsewhere.

I'm sorry for the folks on this thread that have gotten into confrontations over a such a thing. I guess the CM's would have gotten involved if someone was thrown overboard due to a chair issue getting out of hand :thewave:

MrsPete
06-21-2004, 01:12 PM
30 chairs! That's just plain rude! The officer who stood by and did nothing should be disciplined for allowing such a foolish thing to happen to a passenger.

You were very obviously in the right, and it sounds like your husband handled the problem well. Hotheads can't stand it when other people don't "rise to the occasion".

I almost always take one chair for myself, and I put my daughters' things underneath in a beach bag. I swim and sit alternately, and I've never had a problem with anyone taking my chair. Not to say that it won't happen, but I think leaving the chair in such a condition that it's obviously being used (i.e. towel spread over the back, wet spot in the middle of the towel, sunglasses and sunscreen on the seat) makes people look to the next chair instead.

As for Castaway Cay, I'll add my voice to those who've already suggested heading down towards the Heads Up bar. We "set up camp" very early in the middle of the family beach, and within an hour we were overrun with other passengers. We moved to the faaaar end of the family beach, and we were pretty much by ourselves until after lunchtime. Several hammocks remained un-touched most of the day. Disclaimer: we were on a November cruise, and the ship was not full.

Skuba2
06-22-2004, 09:34 AM
I also simply use one chair for all of our stuff. I also ask someone close to watch my stuff while I run to the restroom. People are generally nice onboard. I have also watched someone else's stuff while they were in the pool--they actually didn't ask me but when someone went to use their chair, I politely told them they were in the pool and pointed them out. They moved on. It isn't hard. We have to work together. What would happen if someone goes up and takes off every towel someone else puts on. They won't know if it was a crew member or a person. It is crazy.

DG

samoyed
06-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Heard back from Disney. They were "sorry that other passangers dimished the enjoyment of my sailing". and informed me that they do have Security on their ships.

They also sent me a Disney Cruise Line bag and picture frame.

The letter and the gifts were nice, but I still don't feel like they addressed my concerns. My concerns regarded the lack of Security not the idiots at the pool. Disney cannot control who sails on their ships, but they should control how things are handled.

Well just wanted to update everyone who was interested in this thread and provided feedback to it.

Hope everyone has a Magical Voyage in the future. Let me know if in the future you see Security Officers on the ship.

nzdisneymom
06-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Wow!!! I've learned a lot from reading this thread. Bring a beach bag for our stuff for the pool. Station a family member in the chair(s), and keep an eye on them to make sure our stuff doesn't get dumped on the ground while we're in the pool.

Question -- are there towels available at the pool, or do you bring them from your stateroom?

We'll be going in March (the week before Easter - we're crazy, but it's Spring Break) so the ship will be nearly full, if not sold out. My kids like to swim, but I know they'll be more interested in the indoors activities on At Sea days.

Is there a "better" time for being at the pool? Morning, afternoon, evening after dinner?

samoyed
06-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Towels are at the pool.

towels are also at the CC as you exit the ship.

ldb1030
06-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Towels are available at the pool! No need to bring yours!

I too hope that no one dumps my stuff while in the pool or restroom!:(
Perhaps if I ask the person sitting next to me to watch it for a few minutes, they will?!:confused:

dinnysuw
06-30-2004, 10:40 AM
you might want to mention to them that you have gotten lots of informative input from ALL the DISers on the largely used by thousands of people daily DISBoards-that may give them the kick they need!you are a better person than me-I would of gotten right back in their face (of course if my children were not right there to see) no one has more rights than anyone else! and I will not be bullied:wave:

strawberryblonde
06-30-2004, 11:44 AM
<font color=darkviolet>We cruised this past March during spring break on the magic. My favorite lounge chair at the Mickey pool was the last to be taken because it is in the shade. It is right under Mickey's "hand" that is holding the slide. My DD4 would run right past me on her way to slide again and I would remind her "not to run" . This would get her slowed down before her feet left the no skid mat and hit the deck on her way to the stairs.

She would join me on the lounger to eat pizza, fries and fruit. She even napped here. Lovely to read a book here. I burn easily, so I loved being in the shade.

If she did enter the mickey pool (not often, as she didn't care for it being so crowded, plus the waves would knock her off her feet), I would sit on the edge of the pool to watch her. My towel, sunscreen, book and sometimes our snack, would be left sitting on the lounger. I would have been very sad and put out if my things had been swept off to make room for another.

My DH and DS would roam the ship. Try out Goofy's pool, play ping pong ect. so I didn't save them a chair. I found our pool time very restful and fun. I think all of you planning your vacations are going to enjoy yourselves. Don't worry :D . </font>

dinnysuw
06-30-2004, 12:01 PM
here is a few ideas to stop the chair theives:
1. get a "be back in 5 minutes sign" like they use at stores and hang it on the back of the chair
2. get one of those fake piles of vomit and lay that on the seat
3.or one of those fake spilled cans of pop or ice cream cones and leave those on the seat.
I mean who would want to touch that to see if it was real? Hope I made some of you smile!LOL:hyper:

buzz&woody'smom
06-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Another good idea is to ask someone around you to save your chair while you run to the restroom or take one of your children etc. This year I will sailing alone with my 3 and 6 year old sons and usually everyone is so friendly that I will not hesitate to ask someone to watch my "things" for a few minutes so I don't have the same problem I had last fall.........even more so since I will be alone.

I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND MY HUSBAND IN IRAQ AND OUR PRESIDENT

samoyed
07-01-2004, 09:27 AM
I just love that idea of the fake spilled soda cans ... don't think I could do the fake vomit..... but I just love the fake can idea....

May have to try that on my next cruise.

gmark2000
12-30-2007, 04:35 AM
On our last Magic cruise this past February, there were a ton of empty lounge chairs by the Mickey Pool and the Goofy Pool. Yet, they were all "occupied" by people's towels and personal possessions. Very frustrating for my family to visit the pool areas with all our own stuff in tow.

Is this still going on recently despite Disney's rules about chair saving?

Andrew DEREK UK
12-30-2007, 05:03 AM
On our last Magic cruise this past February, there were a ton of empty lounge chairs by the Mickey Pool and the Goofy Pool. Yet, they were all "occupied" by people's towels and personal possessions. Very frustrating for my family to visit the pool areas with all our own stuff in tow.

It is disappointing, people should be considerate, I have had to find a bed at the back in the sun, and the beds all around the pool 'never' used for hours, however this also occurs at hotels, and its realy down to the people not the cruise line to be considerate.

scottishwee35
12-30-2007, 06:54 AM
We had a similar problem on the Magic last fall.

Well both of my sisters got in the pool to watch my sons so I could use the restroom and my MIL was still reading in her chair. I went to the restroom. While I was in the restroom my MIL got up for a few minutes to go get an ice water from the drink station. In the few minutes it took to do this she came right back to our 2 chairs and a "couple" had dumped our things (3 tote bags, towels, toys, sunblock, hats, MIL reading glasses and a open book) off our 2 chairs.

I came back from the restroom right after it happened and saw my MIL just standing there in shock. I asked her what was wrong and she told me and I saw our things in a pile. I told the couple in a very nice way there were 8 of us using the 2 chairs and I had run to the bathroom and my MIL was getting water from the drink station. I asked why they had taken our chairs and dumped our things off?

B&W Mom

Look similair to us too. Last Cruise at Med. One day after we went out to excursion to Pisa. When we came back and decide to go to sunbed near children swimming pool. There were PLENTY empty sunbed. My husband and I decided to go to spa to watch movies and we told our childrens where we were.

Then suddendly my daughter was carrying my things and I told her off then she said lady dumped my stuff on the chair:scared1: I got panic *** I put my digitial hearing aid under my clothes. I went over and there were one couple there. I get angry and shouted at them HOW DARE YOU!! Because they took off my stuff and left on the chair as there were plenty empty SUNBED:confused3 I looked for my hearing aid and they realised and they try help me Oh I was so mad. I think they felt GUILTY:scared: . My husband and I cannot believe that happened. He went back again for missing tee shirt and you see their faces :scared1:

That was only bad part in our Cruise.

Scottishwee35

dmi188
12-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Look similair to us too. Last Cruise at Med. One day after we went out to excursion to Pisa. When we came back and decide to go to sunbed near children swimming pool. There were PLENTY empty sunbed. My husband and I decided to go to spa to watch movies and we told our childrens where we were.

Then suddendly my daughter was carrying my things and I told her off then she said lady dumped my stuff on the chair:scared1: I got panic *** I put my digitial hearing aid under my clothes. I went over and there were one couple there. I get angry and shouted at them HOW DARE YOU!! Because they took off my stuff and left on the chair as there were plenty empty SUNBED:confused3 I looked for my hearing aid and they realised and they try help me Oh I was so mad. I think they felt GUILTY:scared: . My husband and I cannot believe that happened. He went back again for missing tee shirt and you see their faces :scared1:
Plenty of sunbeds or not, if you were going to the spa and/or movies, your stuff should not have been left on a chair. Half an hour later, when all chairs were full, would you know to come back and get your stuff so someone at the pool could use it?

That was only bad part in our Cruise.

Scottishwee35
I am sorry about your trouble with your hearing aide, but your plan was the problem at the heart of it. I would also say I would never leave valuables like that unattended anywhere.

Plenty of sunbeds or not, if you were going to the spa and/or movies, your stuff should not have been left on a chair. If you were leaving the pool area at all, your stuff should go with you. Half an hour later, when all chairs were full, would you know to come back and get your stuff so someone at the pool could use it?

I never once found a seat by the pool, or even at the tables nearby because every seat was saved. I am not always able to keep up with DH, and stopped near the pool to wait for him to run to our cabin, and back. I had to move stuff just to sit down. In the 15-20 minutes I waited, not one person came back to that table. I did not dump their stuff. I moved a towel, then moved it back when I left.

mndisfam
12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
REMINDER!! Do what the person said he does on the tip way back on the 2nd page. We wait quite some time to see if a chair occupied by a towel has anyone returning to it. (We don't stand there, we swim etc.) If after 45 minutes or so, and its the only chair available, I just move the towels off and take the chair.

A few times we have had people come back, but I just look them very nicely in the eye and say "gee, the chair was empty when we got here. A CM must have moved your towel. We have been here 1-2 hours and saw no one."

What are they going to say? Well, I put the towel there 3 hours ago - should still be ther?

As for the nasty family - that's different and scary. Whatever security there is available is a joke to me. WE love DCL and cruising, but we were involved in a horrible incident in Rockin' Bar D last spring break - I complained to many, and got NO response. Even to the officer on duty at the desk!

Geesh. If I can find the link I will post it. One day, someone will get hurt and then things will change.

I don't know - maybe after all this time I should complain about what happened in Ockin Bar D - i would be awful if it was still going on...

granmaz
12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
We were on our first cruise in December. On the sea day I was up and wandering around before 7am and ther must have been 20 or more sunbeds saved for later. There was not a soul in the pools and not many of us walking around.

scm
12-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Just off the Christmas cruise and the sense of personal entitlement was rampant - food lines, theatre patrons, pool chairs, adult areas,etc. There were quite nasty exchanges about 'butting in' at Topsiders, loud shouting between 2 groups during a movie, insults from parent of young child in Quiet Cove when reminded it was adults only, a large party on Pirate night taking over a restaurant. It seems to be a matter of "I paid, I can do whatever I want". Certainly made me wonder how crew managed dealing with this type of passenger week after week.

Heather98012
12-30-2007, 12:45 PM
REMINDER!! Do what the person said he does on the tip way back on the 2nd page. We wait quite some time to see if a chair occupied by a towel has anyone returning to it. (We don't stand there, we swim etc.) If after 45 minutes or so, and its the only chair available, I just move the towels off and take the chair.

A few times we have had people come back, but I just look them very nicely in the eye and say "gee, the chair was empty when we got here. A CM must have moved your towel. We have been here 1-2 hours and saw no one."

What are they going to say? Well, I put the towel there 3 hours ago - should still be ther?

That's the perfect way to handle it! What are they gonna do, get in a CM's face? Not likely.

And as for leaving stuff unattended & going to a movie (or anywhere else), that's the problem! Expecting others to go without a chair while you aren't even using yours is just, plain rude. Now, I can understand saving one or two for your children for their stuff. But saving chairs for yourself when you are elsewhere? Very inconsiderate to people who would actually like to use them. And leaving valuables unattended is never a good idea.

But you know what? I don't know if it is an issue of people thinking "I paid for this, I can do what I want." Certainly I think that plays into it. But I think it's a bigger issue....I think people are just becoming more & more selfish & rude in general. These are likely the same people who steal a parking space when they see you waiting for it, the ones who push their way to the front of the line & offer you a sheepish grin as an apology (if that), the ones who answer their cell phones during a movie & have a conversation as if no one else is there. Common courtesy is becoming a thing of the past, & it's really sad to see.

I know this isn't just a DCL thing, all lines are dealing with rude people. But perhaps if DCL gave their CMs the authority to tell these rude people "No, you cannot do that....we have other passengers to consider" the rude ones wouldn't return to DCL. I know that it seems like Disney would be losing customers, when in fact, they would likely be GAINING lifetime customers who appreciate a hassle free vacation. I mean, isn't Disney at it's very essence, about the innocence of kids & believing in magic? I don't see how a child witnessing an altercation between some hideous adults & seeing a CM do nothing about it, would keep the magic alive for them.

Word of mouth is a very powerful thing, good or bad. Hopefully Disney will realize this & empower their CMs more so that they can better handle tense situations. Especially considering that DCL cruises are more pricey compared to other lines.

Andrew DEREK UK
12-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Just off the Christmas cruise and the sense of personal entitlement was rampant - food lines, theatre patrons, pool chairs, adult areas,etc. There were quite nasty exchanges about 'butting in' at Topsiders, loud shouting between 2 groups during a movie, insults from parent of young child in Quiet Cove when reminded it was adults only, a large party on Pirate night taking over a restaurant. It seems to be a matter of "I paid, I can do whatever I want". Certainly made me wonder how crew managed dealing with this type of passenger week after week.

I have to agree, there is an minority, but they are there how think this, ''I paid, I can do whatever I want'', I had a man cut in on first lunch at topsiders on embarkation, and lost part of my family for 45 mins, and on Castaway Cay we had for one cruise only, the luxury of a hammock, and we all used it in rotation I told the kids if we do not use it we have to give it up, DS, got out to have a sip of soda, turned around an a lady jumped on it, on his stuff including towel etc and stayed there an hour, kids were very upset, as we had it an hour or so and on vacation I didn't say anything later she just went.

Many other hammocks were empty for hours with towels only on them.

Billinaz
12-30-2007, 02:47 PM

There are towels on the chairs that are placed there by the CMs. I can only assume they are trying to make it convenient for the guests to have a towel.

Here is a photo on a back to back cruise we did. There are only 5 guests on the ship at the time (us).

http://members.cox.net/billinaz/rows%20of%20chairs.jpg

kcashner
12-30-2007, 05:51 PM
I will avoid the issue of chair saving as it has been thoroughly discussed above. However, I will comment that there is excellent security on the ship. If you need to see a security officer, just ask that one be called.

Tinkermom3
12-30-2007, 08:03 PM
I will avoid the issue of chair saving as it has been thoroughly discussed above. However, I will comment that there is excellent security on the ship. If you need to see a security officer, just ask that one be called.

I really hope that you are correct. I honestly had not even thought about the need for security until I started reading this thread. We cruise for the first time in 6 weeks and now I am a bit nervous. I am really upset to hear that CM's and security officers have not done anything to help these folks who are being hasseled. I guess what is most frightening is that you are on a ship and there are no police to call and get involved.

I work for a mega-church and security is an area where we do not skimp. We have on staff a former police chief and a former detective who worked to find missing and exploited children. We also have many off-duty officers who volunteer to help with security. If any of the types of altercations that I have just read about happened at the church they would have been dealt with in an instant.

I sure hope that the folks that we are cruising with are there to have fun, relax and enjoy the cruise. That's what we plan on doing!:hippie: We promise to not hold any chairs either!:thumbsup2

Billinaz
12-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Any incidents onboard are the jurisdiction of the FBI.

PizzieDuster
12-30-2007, 10:24 PM
:idea:

I am seriously considering bringing my own beach chair on our upcoming 6/08 cruise.

This will be my 6th cruise. The only time I have had problems finding chairs on a cruise has been on a Disney cruise. The other ships we have been on, there were so many chairs and huge deck space and being mega ships, there is so much other things to do.

That's the one thing I know I'm going to miss and I am dreading. The chair hogs and lack of space and chairs.

This upcoming cruise is a mother/daughter trip. I won't have my DH to stay with DD9 while I go sit on a chair and wait for them to come to the pool. I would go up and save two chairs and keep my behind there, listening to music, reading a book, covered up, until they finished breakfast. Mostly on sea days.

On RCCL sea days, I did get up at 7am to get chairs right next to the H20Zone (water park). It wasn't necessary, there are so many chairs. They had employees walking around the pools wearing yellow shirts with "pool attendant" on the back. They would pick up towels and monitor all the chairs. The best is that you could walk right up to them and ask for any available chairs. If there was one only and you needed two, they would go find another one at any level, any place and bring it right to you. They usually came from chairs stacked up on some other part of the ship. I loved that!

I am going to bring my little light beach chair that looks like a backpack. :thumbsup2 :woohoo: ;)

Security on the ship has always been wonderful. We had a midship cat3 and had some kids ding dong ditching, hanging out in the halls, being rude. They took care of it ASAP. Had one teen group knock on the door, girl saying she has something in her eye, they were all laughing... they were just acting stupid. Later she was making out with a boy in the hallway. Security cleared the teens out. It was all good because I saw her on Castaway Cay on the beach with her family, sitting next to us. :rotfl2: I made her real nervous the entire time....like I was just about to ask her mom, do you know who your daughter was sucking face with last night? :rolleyes1 :dance3:

Fun memories but this thread brings up the stuff I want to forget. Chair hogging. :scared1:

tinkerone
12-31-2007, 12:27 AM
hmmmmm. should i tell you my thoughts? well, okay.:rotfl2:
if there are no chairs avalible where i want to set i will watch the area for about 30 minutes. anything that is still empty in that time period is up for grabs as far as i am concerned. i try and pick the chair that only has a towel on it, but, if the chair is empty and has personal belongings on it and its the only one avalible, to bad for you.
now i don't say that as a 'i don't care about your things'. i say that as a 'we all need to be curtious to each other'. no one should be afraid to move items that are left just to save chairs.
i do feel sorry for the parents that have children and need seats up front. they should get first priority and to prevent a parent from trying to relax a little while still watching their child is just rude. that said, if you are spending more than 30 minutes in the pool with your little one than let another parent use it.
and by the way, if i leave my things for an extended period of time feel free to move them. i would hope i never would but sometimes time gets away from us all and we forget. i promise i will never shout at someone for my rudeness.:flower3:

atinkerbellmom
12-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Good for you Daipp!

We've never had problems at the pools (as we don't really "lay" out by them) but we have had many problems in the Walt Disney Theater during the shows. People attempting to save a whole row of seats. Yeah, right. I always remind them that the Personal Navigators state no saving of chairs at the pools or in the theater. It always helps to whip out a copy so they can see it with their BIG, FAT eyes if needed! :)

In my opinion, you're either using a chair or you're using the pool. Last time I checked, no one could do both at the same time. If you get in the pool for 15 or 20 minutes, and your stuff is moved, here's an idea, find a new chair! You wern't using it anymore! You were in the pool!

I totally agree. We would never use a chair for our stuff. We find a nice place on the groud or do not bring anything extra. Using a chair is either laying or sitting in it. The truth is, no matter HOW BIG your group, you will never have all 30 people sitting unless you are running some type of sunbathing club...... This is a problem at the pool and on CC. Just because there are 6 people in your party, you do not need 6 chairs. Just because you like the hammocks, doesn't mean you get the right to let your stuff swing in it all day......:hippie:

atinkerbellmom
12-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Sorry my thread posted twice.... So I had to edit this to delete it. I am done replying and posting until the webmasters have time to finish the updates. Happy New Year Everyone........... Even to the Chair Hoggers:lmao: :hippie:

atinkerbellmom
12-31-2007, 01:20 AM
Hey guys, I went back and noticed, this is actually a thread from 2004 we just posted on. The new stuff starts on page6. Looks like the same problems are happening though. :hippie:

joksten2000
12-31-2007, 04:43 AM
DCL refuses to enforce any of it's rules, The chairs are a big one smoking is just as bad. Nothing will ever be done. I've sailed on Princess in Aug and was very apprehensive, but things were great, always chairs and the no smoking policy was strickly enforced. Very impressed. We are sailing on RCCL in two months and hope to find it the same. The pool attendants were very polite when enforcing the no smoking. I can never understand why DCL doesn't. Especially since they charge so much more. :scared1:

Hanover
12-31-2007, 03:47 PM
We were on the Magic on 12/1/07 and the thing that irritated me was that the Mickey pool was closed 5 times that we tried to swim due to accidents from non potty trained kids. Several times I saw babies, some who couldn't even stand, in the Mickey pool and the life guard did absolutely nothing. The entire afternoon of embarkation the Mickey pool was closed because of a fecal accident. Once I saw a baby about a year old in the Mickey ear go under the water a few seconds and come up vomiting after his mom stopped talking to the person next to him and pulled him up once she realized he was under. His mother was at the pool the next day with her older child and I saw her talk to the life guard and point to a baby in diapers jumping to his mom in the pool. The life guard said something back to her but didn't move and didn't tell the mom to take her son into the ear with the sprinker. I also saw the life guard the next day standing and speaking to a couple for a good half hour while yet another todder in diapers ran around the face of the Mickey pool where it's shallow and there's jets. The baby's mom was fully dressed and the baby fell in the face of the Mickey pool and came up crying twice in 20 minutes that I was there. Another mom sitting near me also watching her son go down the slide said when she commented to the fully clothed mom she was told to "shut up and mind your own business." I made sure to write on my comment card that I think they should enforce the non potty trained rule. I can understand parents want their babies to have fun, especially when older siblings are swimming, but it completely ruins it for everyone else whose children want to swim when they have accidents. Once when the Mickey pool was closed we went to the Goofy pool and a family was there with a toddler in swim diapers and commented to me they were glad it wasn't their kid who had an accident and that they were betting their's would be the one to shut it down during the week. I usually run from confrontation but I told them I thought it was selfish of parents to bring kids in pools when they may have accidents.