PDA

View Full Version : How do kids carry KTTW cards?

mhb
06-13-2004, 08:14 PM
I was just wondering, how do the kids 15-10 carry their KTTW cards? Don't want the children to lose them. How are they issued to us? This is our 1st cruise.

Thanks

:wave: :earsgirl: :sunny: :wave: :earsgirl: :sunny:

aprilgail2
06-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Ours hung it from a lanyard around her neck as did most of the kids we saw onboard.

mhb
06-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Is the lanyard given to you? Sorry to not know, again, this is our 1st cruise.

mark & sandra
06-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Unless your kids need them to charge something or to show for the soda privaledges that you buy and put on the card, I'd keep them with you. The only other time they need them is when their leaving or boarding the ship. We handed them to our kids and took them back after we passed security...Mark

mhb
06-13-2004, 08:51 PM
thanks Mark. I do think the children will have to have them to get into the room, correct? :wave2:

aprilgail2
06-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Yes, they need them to get in the rooms.....you can buy them onboard or I think walmart or some store like that carried them.

KYCruiseCrazy
06-13-2004, 09:15 PM
You can pick them up at Walmart for as little as .97$. They have a plastic pouch with a zipper kinda like on reclosable cheese packages. They are able to wear them around their necks in case they don't have pockets. DD who was 7 on our last cruise, and who loses everything, never had a problem keeping up with her KTTW card.

ohiominnie
06-13-2004, 09:50 PM
On our recent Magic trip they gave my dd a plastic pouch with a small clip on it. They then printed a label with her name on it, stuck it to the outside of that pouch, and that became her nametag. She was able to slip her KTTW card inside that pouch. We ended up getting a lanyard for her too and what she did was clipped this nametag/pouch thing onto her lanyard. :)

HTH

Zandy595
06-13-2004, 11:46 PM
We bought DS a really nice DCL logo lanyard with a clear plastic pocket because he lost his first KTTW card. He loves the lanyard and uses it everytime we go to WDW.

mhb
06-14-2004, 06:36 AM
Thanks everyone!:wave2: I know my DS 15 will have no problem, but the other two, well that's a different story. It sounds as if the landyard is the way to go. Did anyone buy the lanyard at a Disney store or on board?

clh2
06-14-2004, 06:45 AM
We purchased a lanyard on board for each of us (DH, DD, and me) They have a "waterproof" box on a lanyard available in the gift shop for around $6. It is large enough for the KTTW card, some ID, and a credit card and a couple of bucks. Worked great on CC and on shore excursions. They also have a slightly larger box w/ a lanyard available too. As someone said on a recent thread - the larger one can hold an inhaler if someone needs to carry one with them.

Zandy595
06-14-2004, 07:35 AM
We got DS's lanyard at one of the shops on the ship (3 years ago). His doesn't have the waterproof case, just a thin, clear pocket. It only holds a card, maybe two.

westjones
06-14-2004, 07:58 AM
If your kids are always with you when they need to go in and out of the room, they won't need one. So far, we haven't let our kids check themselves in and out of the Kid's Lab. Next time (in September) my twins will be 11, and we will probably let them come and go from the lab on their own, so they will need the KTTW card with them.

I do plan to have the ability to charge taken off of their cards before I give it to them. I am not worry about them charging things (they wouldn't do that if I told them they were not allowed); I am more worried that they will lose their card and someone else will start charging on it.

DJ

TheWog
06-14-2004, 08:00 AM
just be a little careful, we found the clip on the lanyard purchased onboard to not be the strongest, it was fine, just be concious of it that it can let go and fall. maybe bring a safety pin just to be safe.

mhb
06-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Does the KTTW card have your room number on it?

My DS 15 will be okay even if I let him have charge things, but not sure about the other 2. What would they be charging. Soda is free!! So is food!!

Thanks:wave: :earsgirl: :sunny: :wave: :earsgirl: :sunny: :wave:

Zandy595
06-14-2004, 11:09 AM
They could charge anything in the shops (toys, clothes, candy, etc...). Don't you also use the KTTW card to buy arcade cards?

mhb
06-14-2004, 03:27 PM
What are arcade cards?

Honeychild
06-14-2004, 03:41 PM
I have bought each of my family members a lanyard off of ebay. Do a search for disney lanyard or cast lanyard. My DD will be wearing Tinker Bell, my DS will be wearing Stitch, I'll have on Minnie and my DH will have Goofy. I plan to send them to Shirley for the kid's gift baskets. Here are some examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13842&item=2249915902&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=143&item=2249558812&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13841&item=2249711734&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38005&item=2249857393&rd=1

westjones
06-14-2004, 04:12 PM
My clip fell apart on the DCL one I bought too (while I was on the cruise sitting on deck 9, so it just fell in my lap). When we got home, my DH took all of ours and super glued them together so now we can't take them apart (which is fine), but they won't fall apart either.

DJ

aprilgail2
06-14-2004, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't recommend super gluing one that a child is going to use...they come apart easily for a reason-so if they get caught on something it does not hang the child.

kcashner
06-14-2004, 05:59 PM
KTTW does not have your room number on it. The kids in the club and lab are issued plastic name tags that have a little pocket which will hold their KTTW card. Alternatively, you can hang it on a lanyard with a plastic pouch. If they do not have charge priv. , they can punch a hole in it and hang it from a lanyard.

The child does need the KTTW card to check into the club/lab/stack programs as this is how they keep track of the kids. If the KTTW card is lost, it is replaced free at guest services.

mhb
06-14-2004, 06:51 PM
kcashner: Thanks for answering my question. the kids are 15, 13, and 11. Just didn't want the room number to be on the card. The 15 will be fine, 13 and 11 may not have it at all times. I know they will all be in the clubs at some time. I have been letting them know from the boards what's going on in the clubs.

Thanks Again :wave: :earsgirl: :sunny: :wave: :earsgirl: :sunny: :wave:

Zandy595
06-14-2004, 06:54 PM
mhb ~ DS hasn't been to the arcade yet so I only know what I've read here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The games in the arcade (Quarter Masters) don't take coins. You have to buy a prepaid arcade card. I'm not clear on the details, like how much the cards are or where you get them.

jweiss
06-14-2004, 11:07 PM
Don't count on buying a DCL lanyard/card holder on board. I did that last year, and they didn't get any that week, so we were out of luck. I took someone's wonderful advice and ran to Walmart today. I asked at the door and was told they didn't carry them. I then asked about four other staff people and all said taht didn't carry them. Well, I found them myself!!! They are near the purse department and cost 97 cents. I am SO excited!!! Thanks for the advice.

Zandy595
06-15-2004, 07:32 AM
jweiss ~ What do the lanyards at Walmart look like? Are they just plain? Different colors?

BTW, I've had the same experience there. I ask everyone I see if they have a certain item, they all say no and I end up finding it myself.

westjones
06-15-2004, 07:47 AM
I have seen them at Walmart in the jewelry department too (but we bought ours onboard the Wonder).

DJ

SweetSpot
06-15-2004, 09:41 AM
I purchase the .97 lanyards for the first cruise and the kids never used them. The kids need their cards to check into the club. The counselor who checks them in holds onto the card while they are there and gives it back as they check out. The kids kept their cards in the plastic name tag that has a clip on it so the two would always be together and either stuck it in a pocket or clipped it on somewhere. Unless their wearing a bathing suit everywhere the kids will have pockets most of the time, especially the boys.

There's an arcade on board that requires a special card that is purchased in a machine with a KTTW card. Kids also love smoothies and the snacks sold near Preludes so charges can easily add up fast. You're able to remove charging priviledges from kids cards and you are able to check on their charges at customer service.

mhb
06-15-2004, 12:37 PM
sweetspot: Thanks for answering all the questions. Maybe I'll buy 1 or 2 and see how it works out. DS 15 has already let me know he'll just put it in his pocket. I wonder about my DD though.

I didn't know when they check in to the clubs, that the counselor will give it back to them when they leave. That was where i thought they would lose it. You know put it down and walk away.::yes::

I did see the lanyards at Walmart yesterday, but didn't think they were anything great. No plastic pouch. Just a chip.

SweetSpot
06-15-2004, 03:04 PM
At our Walmart they are in the jewelery department right near the watches. it's a black strap with a clear pouch and my kids looked at in and said no way they would use it. You can bring a hole punch (I think they will do it for you at guest services too) and put a hole in the card to allow for a clip lanyard.

Another thing you will need is a water safe that you can wear around your neck at the beaches. You need your KTTW card to get on and off the ship so if you plan on going swimming you need a water safe with a neck strap to keep things dry. You can get them on the ship for around $6.00 but if you have one at home add it to your packing list.

Zandy595
06-15-2004, 04:28 PM
I had to go to Walmart today so I checked out the lanyards. I didn't see any for .97. They were all $2.97 and had a ring at the bottom (like the rings on key chains). I wanted one with a clear plastic pocket but, no luck.

mhb
06-16-2004, 04:19 PM
I agree with Sandy, Sweetspot. I looked at our Walmart and didn't find the lanydard for .97. They were all 2.97, with no plastic pouch. I think my DD (11) may wear it, but not the DS's.

Thanks so much everyone for all your suggestions.
:wave: :earsgirl: :sunny: :wave: :earsgirl: :sunny: :wave:

kate099
06-16-2004, 06:30 PM
:cool: I just bought the plastic pouches at Wal MArt on Sunday. The salesperson in the sporting dept said he had ordered more but that he got less than he ordered. The way he talked each store orders these on their own from local suppliers. Maybe that's why you can't find them at one store when another has them.

jweiss
06-16-2004, 11:44 PM
SANDY.....if you want me to grab a few extra and send them to you, no problem. they are very plain, simple. Black I think, with clear plastic.

Zandy595
06-17-2004, 07:36 AM
kate099 ~ You said you talked to someone in the sporting dept. Is that where you found them? I didn't even look there.

jweiss ~ That's very nice of you. I think I might just look around some more. Maybe I'll find some cute ones some where. I still have quite a while before my cruise. Thank you anyway. :D