PDA

View Full Version : Soda or Pop?

Mickeyhugger
06-13-2004, 06:58 PM
After all of the excitement the past couple of days that DCL is doing away w/the 'soda card', I've noticed threads about 'pop' and 'soda'

In Texas, we call every carbonated beverage a 'Coke'. (I know it sounds unusual, but ask any Texan, most of them will agree.) LOL!

Yet other cruisers I've noticed refer to 'soda' or 'pop.'

My father (from his depression-era childhood) still calls it 'sodie-pop.'

What region is everyone else from, and when buying soft drinks on DCL, do you call it 'soda' or 'pop.'?

(Our family drinks Dr. Pepper, when we're out, we need more 'Cokes.'):hyper:

Princess Michelle
06-13-2004, 07:09 PM
If I'm just referring to it in general I call carbonated beverages "soda". If I want something specific I call it whatever it is, Sprite, Pepsi, etc.

I know the word "coke" is just a general word that you use for carbonated beverages but it made me chuckle that you call a Pepsi product (Dr. Pepper) "coke". ;)

stingfancb
06-13-2004, 07:11 PM
:wave:
I'm from the Philadelphia region originally and we always called it soda. We have lived in South Florida for 22 years and luckily it's soda here as well! ::yes::

EmmasGrammy
06-13-2004, 07:12 PM
We live in the Pittsburgh, PA area and we call it "pop". A "soda" to us, is a beverage with ice cream and "pop" or soda water.

When we travel, we have learned to ask for the beverage by name (Pepsi, Rootbeer, Slice, Gingerale, etc.) and this is what we will do on board.

My sweet granny also used to call it "sodie-pop". Thanks for the trip down memory lane!:)

tinkerbell81284
06-13-2004, 07:15 PM
My family and I all call canned carbonated beverages "Pop" because we are originally from OH. We still get weird looks from the people in FL everytime we ask for a Pop. hehe!

Tink

PhotobearSam
06-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Pop here in Eastern Canada....

Pop Pop Pop hehehe...:teeth:

mickey minder
06-13-2004, 07:30 PM
It's pop or "coke" in West Virginia. When we are traveling we make a point to ask for a beverage by its product name. I'm a diet pepsi drinker. When I ask my DH to pick up pop or coke, he always comes home with the diet pepsi. It truely is a regional thing. Question: When you buy pop, do you put it in poke?:confused:

zaxmom
06-13-2004, 07:32 PM
coke is it here in Atlanta too. We usually just call the item whatever the brand name is. Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite...Almost everyone here serves coke products, except for Taco Bell and KFC. If I need to pick up stuff for a party I go to the store to get some cokes.

jfs9900
06-13-2004, 07:37 PM
So if your in Texas and want to drink "Sprite" and all the soda/pop there is called "Coke" how do they know what type of "Coke" to bring?

EmmasGrammy
06-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Mickey Minder,

Talk about a trip down memory lane.... When I was a teenage (years and years and years ago!!) I worked in a grocery store as a cashier. An older gentleman came up and asked me, "How about a poke?" I just stared at the old guy. I wasn't sure if he was being perverted or what!! I continued to just stare at him, and he says, "Could you give me a poke?" As I was about to put my index finger into his ribs he says, "Haven't you got any paper pokes?" Finally I realized this guy wants a grocery "bag". I handed him a whole stack of bags and ran into the back stock room laughing.

Had never heard this term "poke" used in that manner before and other than relaying this story to friends and family, I've never came across anyone you has used it since!!!

MarkRG
06-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Don't drink too much of it, but I use whatever word will get me the right beverage. Knowing that anything Disney is all Coke, Coke it is.

cristit14
06-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Growing up as an Air Force brat, I have heard it called everything. I lived mostly in the South, so everything was a "coke" or as my grandmother called them "co-cola". Now I live in Colorado and I have been calling them pops for quite awhile.

tink5
06-13-2004, 07:55 PM
It's always been "POP" to me. Johnstown Pa.

minnieandmickey
06-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Soda here in CA. My best friend moved to WA and it drives her nuts that they say pop.

Amberle3
06-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I'll be the odd one out here - always called them soft drinks! Don't know if that's a Canadian prairie thing or just my family though. I can't recall hearing either "soda" or "pop" with any regularlity.

The only time I heard "pop" was when the store "Pic a Pop" was around!

il-gander
06-13-2004, 08:28 PM
It's "pop" here in Illinois, occasionally "soda"...

Carla

jordgubben
06-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Definitely "soda" here in NJ. My husband is originally from the Pittsburgh area where they call them "pop" but I've thankfully converted him. We met up in college in central PA (lancaster county) and I'm pretty sure it was "soda" there too.

goin2disneyagain
06-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Everything is called a "Coke" here in Atlanta, this is where the Coke Headquarters are afterall. :)

ThreeCircles
06-13-2004, 08:44 PM
I grew up in Springfield, IL and it was always referred to as soda. I carried that down here to Florida where I mainly hear it referred to as soda.

tvguy
06-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Point of clarification Princess Michelle, Dr. Pepper is not a Pepsi product. It is an independent company, just like Coke, Pepsi, R/C etc. But Dr. Pepper is often bottled and distributed by companies that also bottle and distribute Coke, or Pepsi or R/C.
Here in my area, it is bottled by Dr. Pepper, and they also make R-C.

Regina
06-13-2004, 10:17 PM
I for one am a very happy NYer now that "soda" is included.:D

EmmasGrammy, your poke story reminded me of the time that we lived in GA. I went to Walmart and was asked if I wanted a buggy. I had no clue what that was. :confused:

It turns out that's what the greeter called a shopping cart. I admit, I also got a case of the giggles.:p :p :p

Honeychild
06-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Here in the panhandle of Florida it is "coke". My dad grew up in Alabama and always called it a "sodie water", my father-in-law calls it a "dope".

two-foxes
06-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Growing up in Cleveland, it was "pop". I don't think we ever used soda. But, the Coloradoans call it "soda". I have finally converted to calling it "soda", but it was so hard......kinda like the name Colleen! In Cleveland it was Cal-een. Here it is Cole-leen. Still don't have that one down.

CindyKansas
06-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Pop is what we call it here in southern Kansas. But I have been to known to say "I want a "Coke" even when it's not Coke.

AKB
06-13-2004, 11:17 PM
When my boys want a soda/pop they ask for a "coke". It usually means a Dr. Pepper though.

Mickeyhugger
06-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Ahhhh, AKB, you know exactly what I'm talking about!:D

Don't get me wrong (for those of you who wonder how we order drinks if we refer to all carbonated beverages as 'cokes.')

It's more of slang that's understood amongst family and friends. If I go to a resturant or fast food place, I'll order by name.

But if having family/friends over for a 'get-together', the question is..'who's bringing the cokes?' Meaning who's bringing the soft-drinks? :tongue:

Zandy595
06-14-2004, 12:23 AM
I'm originally from Buffalo, NY where we called it "pop". Down here in FL everyone calls it "soda". I still say pop when I'm around my family, but when I'm out I say Coke or Pepsi or other brand name. We've been here for 9 years and I still can't say soda, it just sounds weird to me.

Tluvs2talk
06-14-2004, 01:00 AM
I always say coke or name the beverage I want by name.

Teri

yodasdabomb
06-14-2004, 01:26 AM
I grew up in California and I always called it soda... then I went to school in Oregon, where I just finished and everyone looked at me weird when I called it that, since they call it Pop, so I usually take into account my audience. If I am with the fam. I call it soda. If I am with friends from school I call it pop. Funny story about regional terms..

One days when I was working at camp I ran down the the head counselors house to see what was going to be given out for snack that day. I ran up and told my girls excitedly that Otter Pops were for snack. Well I had never gotten weirder looks from people in my life! I thought everyone knew what an otterpop was!! Turns out it is only those of us on the West Coast. FYI Here in Ca and OR Costco and many other stores sell frozen juice pops. You know the ones in the plastic that are just about all flavored, colored, sugar, water? Anyway here the main brand is called otter pops and every plastic tube of juice has an otter on it for each flavor i.e. Ganzo Grape.... things like that. Anyway so every one I ever new just called all frozen juice pops otter pops. Well to make a long story just a little bit longer, aparetly everyone else if the world just calls them juice pops or iceys... Go Figure!

disneyholic family
06-14-2004, 03:33 AM
now this is an interesting thread.....
of course given that i'm from detroit, naturally i call it pop...
and i'm sure had i been guessing i would have said that Ohio refers to it the same way..
but i'm really surprised to hear that eastern canada and buffalo NY are pop country as well...

when i went east for university i learned all about soda, and standing 'on line" and all the other nonsense easterners say...:D

traycie2201
06-14-2004, 03:36 AM
POP POP POP , always referred to as pop in my part of the UK , i've only ever heard it referred to as a soda when i've been in the states.

MariettaC
06-14-2004, 05:32 AM
It's soda on Long Island, New York and soda here in Eastern North Carolina.:wave:

disneyholic family
06-14-2004, 06:50 AM
traycie2201-- pop in the UK?????????....really????????.....now THAT i would never have guessed...

Zandy595
06-14-2004, 08:42 AM
yodasdabomb ~ We had the brand name Otter Pops in NY when I was growing up. We called all those type treats, ice pops though.

puffkin
06-14-2004, 09:07 AM
It is Soda here in Southeastern PA. I am glad that Florida calls it soda too because Pop always makes me giggle. And, we always call the frozen popsicles either ice pops or freeze pops.

MaryTKD
06-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Always called it pop. My cousins in Wisconsin made fun of me for that, since they called it soda. They also made fun of my asking for pinapple and Canadian bacon (back bacon) on my pizza, known to us as a "Hawaiian," and suggested since I was from Washington, I might want apples on it instead!

dclwdwlover
06-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Here in Rochester they call soda 'pop'. Growing up in eastern Pennsylvania we called it 'soda' & the juice-filled plastic things are called freeze pops or 'pops' for short.

When I first moved to upstate NY a few years ago my boys had friends playing with them outside & I yelled out, "Who wants pop?" - never giving it a thought they anyone could think anything but a freeze pop - especially since it was so darn hot out!

Needless to say, when I showed up outside with my freeze pops & handed them out I saw all of the boys looking at each other & then looking at me like I was strange. It was weeks before I realized - after doing it yet again - that they all expected a nice cool drink of SODA.:rolleyes: :teeth:

I still call it soda - can't get used to that 'pop' thing!

TheWog
06-14-2004, 11:46 AM
WE are from the Northeast and call it soda. My grandfather used to call it Tonic.

We have friends from the midwest that call it Pop .... couldn't figure out what they were talking about for the longest time. :hyper:

mmouse37
06-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Wog.....finally!!!! I read the whole thread and could not believe the New Englanders had not chimed in on this one!!!

My mom grew up in Gloucester, Mass and we spent every summer there on vacation....whenever I asked for soda I would get strange looks....Tonic it is in some parts of New England!!!

When my mom first came to the New York area and asked for tonic...everyone thought she wanted hair tonic!!!

MJ

sters
06-14-2004, 12:42 PM
In New Jersey, it's "soda" as it was in Maryland and California where I used to live. I think it's in the Midwest that they call it "pop." Like a previous poster said, it's usually just safer to refer to the specific carbonated beverage by name.

NHDisneyKid
06-14-2004, 12:50 PM
NH here also, and we ask for soda!! Every now and then, my grandparents might let a "tonic" slip, but it's mainly soda. Again, we call specific sodas by name, ie Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, etc.

disneyholic family--you said something about easterners standing "on-line"...it's funny you should mention that. I've lived in New England my whole life (born in MA, raised in NH, college in CT, now back in NH) and I NEVER heard anyone say "I waited all afternoon on-line at the WalMart" UNTIL I went to college, where I had a lot of friends from New Jersey!! THEN I heard the on-line thing, and I thought it was so strange!! Here in New England, we definitely wait "in line"...

chucklechops
06-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Yep here in England it's called Pop, if you were to ask for Soda they would probably give you plain old soda water!!
Whatever you call it as long as it's cold, in a tall glass with loads of ice Im happy.

:drinking1 :drinking: :drinking1 :drinking: :drinking1 :drinking:

TheWog
06-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by mmouse37
Wog.....finally!!!! I read the whole thread and could not believe the New Englanders had not chimed in on this one!!!

My mom grew up in Gloucester, Mass and we spent every summer there on vacation....whenever I asked for soda I would get strange looks....Tonic it is in some parts of New England!!!

When my mom first came to the New York area and asked for tonic...everyone thought she wanted hair tonic!!!

MJ

We used to bring back the old Tonic bottles to the Lucky Strike Tonic factory place and get the new batch for the week every Saturday morning. Loved their Root Beer. He would still call it Tonic if he were around today.

jeanie
06-14-2004, 01:18 PM
I am 41 and I call it tonic, I always thought that this was an eastern Mass/NH regional term.... Cola syrup (a tonic) cured anything and everything when I was little... I don't know why it stuck over the years but I can't seem to call it soda or pop...
So instead of tonic...I call all tonics Coke now... I know it makes no sense....

I worked the concession stand this weekend at the little league field and when ever anyone asked me for a Coke, I kept asking them which kind....:crazy:

CruisingCA2005
06-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Growing up in Hawaii, we used the term "soda". Here in Southern California, we also use the term "soda."

BriarRosie
06-14-2004, 01:38 PM
I always knew it as a regional thing.

I'm in the Chicago area, and we call it "pop". I noticed it was "pop" from western PA and throughout the Midwest.

I've noticed that people from the South call it "coke". A waitress will ask, "What kind of coke would you like?" (I took that to mean, the different brands, even if they served Pepsi products.)

Many people in the East call it "soda". I guess there are variations in the West, but I'm not sure if there's a widespread agreement like there is in other regions.

Me, I get teased if I say "pop" outside the Midwest, so I usually refer to it as "soda" when talking with my Disney friends around the Internet. :)

drdelsol
06-14-2004, 03:17 PM
I've grown up in Florida and everythings coke. Soda is an imported term. I always believed it was from the strong regional influence of Coca-cola.

Jillie
06-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Moved to NH from NYC at age 11 and had no idea what people were talking about when they asked me if i wanted a "tonic"! I had always called it soda and still do...even afterthese many years in NH.

ceejay13
06-14-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm from Kansas and it is pop here.

MacGyverTDS
06-14-2004, 07:50 PM
It's tonic for me too. I get some weird looks from my hubby's family who are all from MI. I have learned to survive dining out by asking what kind of carbonated beverages they serve!

Judy:jester:

Zandy595
06-14-2004, 07:59 PM
People really still say tonic in some parts of the country? Even kids? I always thought that was an outdated term.

plutospup
06-14-2004, 08:40 PM
In Pennsylvania the Susquehanna River seems to be the dividing line between "soda" and "pop". Since I live on the eastern shore I have always called it "soda". When I cross the river to go to work the "western shore" folks call it "pop"!

cristit14
06-14-2004, 09:34 PM
[/B][/QUOTE]EmmasGrammy, your poke story reminded me of the time that we lived in GA. I went to Walmart and was asked if I wanted a buggy. I had no clue what that was. :confused:

It turns out that's what the greeter called a shopping cart. I admit, I also got a case of the giggles.:p :p :p [/B][/QUOTE]

I grew up in the South and have always called it a buggy. My DD8 and I were at Wal mart one day and I told her to get a buggy and she looked at me like I was crazy.:crazy:

hayesktrm
06-14-2004, 10:31 PM
I moved from Washington State 4 years ago where we called it pop. Had to relearn and call it soda. Once I ordered pop at a KFC and they gave me popcorn chicken, lol. It will always be pop to me, but I had to conform.

jeanie
06-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Yes we still call it tonic.... But there are a lot of transplants in our area so you can tell who is a yankee and who is not. My kids call it soda but they know what tonic means... My kids also do not say CAH(car), or quahta ( quarter) either... An they are quick to point it out to mom and dad when the r's are dropped and the extra syllables are added in... ( I still say hair with two syllables!)

puffkin
06-15-2004, 10:44 AM
I just remember this website I had seen when I was in college which plots geographically where the different terms are used. It is quite interesting. Enjoy!

Here is the linK:
http://www.popvssoda.com/

CRSNDSNY
06-15-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this site yet because I haven't had a chance to go through all the replies, but check out: http://www.popvssoda.com/ -- It's all about the great pop vs. soda controversy. Pretty neat site.

CRSNDSNY
06-15-2004, 11:05 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! SORRY! After posting, I noticed that someone above me already posted the site!

:guilty:

disneyholic family
06-15-2004, 11:42 AM
NHDisneyKid -- i'm from michigan, where we stand in line and drink pop.......i went to Johns Hopkins, where just about everyone seemed to be from new york.....and they ALL stood on-line...i used to ask them to show me where the line was they were standing on....

videogal1
06-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Mickeyhugger
After all of the excitement the past couple of days that DCL is doing away w/the 'soda card', I've noticed threads about 'pop' and 'soda'

In Texas, we call every carbonated beverage a 'Coke'. (I know it sounds unusual, but ask any Texan, most of them will agree.) LOL!

(Our family drinks Dr. Pepper, when we're out, we need more 'Cokes.'):hyper:

I ask for brown fizzy stuff but not root beer or Dr. Pepper.....My hope is for Pepsi but near Austin, TX, the reality is Coke... Heaven forbid that you should want something clear and fizzy or Dr. P and ask for "coke"...'Cause you'll get Coke...

kimtenn
06-15-2004, 04:50 PM
I've grown up calling it pop here in Missouri, and my dad, who grew up in rural north central Missouri, always calls it "sody pop."

As for a buggy, we went to the store while visiting my Mississippi relatives, and they asked us if we wanted a "buggy," which I had never heard before. I knew what they meant because they pointed at the shopping carts.

Just my two cents!;)

TheWog
06-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by jeanie
Yes we still call it tonic.... But there are a lot of transplants in our area so you can tell who is a yankee and who is not. My kids call it soda but they know what tonic means... My kids also do not say CAH(car), or quahta ( quarter) either... An they are quick to point it out to mom and dad when the r's are dropped and the extra syllables are added in... ( I still say hair with two syllables!)

Be-ya (Beer) - two syllables :hyper:

I know exactly what you are saying. Tonic not used that much anymore, but old timers will definitely still use it, but everyone around here knows what is being referred to.

gottaluvdis
06-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by TheWog
WE are from the Northeast and call it soda. My grandfather used to call it Tonic.

We have friends from the midwest that call it Pop .... couldn't figure out what they were talking about for the longest time. :hyper:

I hear ya Wog! I'm a life-long New Englander and have always called it soda, but my Grandmother always referred to it as Tonic too.

gottaluvdis
06-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by NHDisneyKid
NH here also, and we ask for soda!! Every now and then, my grandparents might let a "tonic" slip, but it's mainly soda. Again, we call specific sodas by name, ie Coke, Sprite, Diet Coke, etc.

disneyholic family--you said something about easterners standing "on-line"...it's funny you should mention that. I've lived in New England my whole life (born in MA, raised in NH, college in CT, now back in NH) and I NEVER heard anyone say "I waited all afternoon on-line at the WalMart" UNTIL I went to college, where I had a lot of friends from New Jersey!! THEN I heard the on-line thing, and I thought it was so strange!! Here in New England, we definitely wait "in line"...

NHDisneyKid - I can definitely relate. I was also born in MA and raised in NH - stayed in NH for college too and we definitely say "soda" and we wait "in-line". I've heard "on-line" at lot down south though.

gottaluvdis
06-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Zandy595
People really still say tonic in some parts of the country? Even kids? I always thought that was an outdated term.

I believe it still is an outdated term. I haven't heard anyone call it tonic other than my Grandmother who passed away over 10 years ago. Here in Southern NH, it's almost always called soda unless you get a real die-hard yankee!

AURxTiger
06-18-2004, 09:46 PM
We call it "coke" or "co-cola" here in LA (Lower Alabama).