PDA

View Full Version : Key West

MoranClan
06-13-2004, 04:22 PM
hello Everyone..

Jason from ***************** posted this on our August 28 Western Cruise Forum..

Hi all--

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. We're having HOT weather here in Tampa Bay. Currently 97.

This article appeared in The St. Petersburg Times this morning and I thought you all might be interested in it since we'll all be there soon!

Selling Key West (http://www.sptimes.com/2004/06/13/Business/Selling_Key_West.shtml)

Makes me Think about the Money I will/won't spend at Key west..

May take a few pictures at the southern most point, then go back to the ship..

I ride Harleys and I am a cruiser..a double wammy for me..

Go figure they hate cruisers more than bikers..Thats a first..

Please post you comments..and If anyone has had any negative visits to key west and the Stores, restaurants, bars..etc..

Bobby

kshabare
06-13-2004, 04:40 PM
When we stopped in Key West we figured we'd just walk to the southern-most part of the island. Unfortunately, it was too far, especially my 9 year old. I loved the buildings and plant life. Duvall Street was not impressive but we liked the wharf and the outer skirts of town. Although I'm no prude, there are only so many t-shirts I want my son reading about farting! (and worse). It's too bad some shops ruin it for others. I enjoyed the artistic shops. A little pricey for me but it's art - I expected it. Wish I had some $$ to blow on it.
I'm sure the people on Mallory Square (the cat guy and the high-wire guy) are pleased to have the ships in.
When we return in February I plan on renting an electric car to see the scenery, the sunset and possibly the underground tunnel Shirley spoke of in another post.
Do the shop owners complain when the rent comes due and they are able to pay it? I think not. Instead of being angry, they should be proud and try and share some of their history with people who are interested, like me. Everyone's town is overcrowded these days. Just my opinion - you asked for it. :)

Kim

MoranClan
06-13-2004, 05:46 PM
How far is the Southern most point from The Ship?..

Thanks

Bobby

Hans Solo
06-13-2004, 07:04 PM
it's about a mile or so from the dock to the Southernmost Point. We did with 15yoDD and 12yo DS in tow. You can also take the trolley to see it.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

WDWLVR
06-13-2004, 07:19 PM
When we went to Key West last May we took the trolley as far as the Southernmost Point and then walked the rest of the way back going to the butterfuly conservatory and Hemmingways House on the way. The trolley was a nice way to see the far part of the island and saved us a one way walk.

DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
06-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Interesting article.

snelsonbrown
06-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Hello there - this is Shirley - Norm and I have both read this thread and article written about our hometown of Key West and felt we had to answer our "side" - at one time Key West was an Island of Paradise - the natives were very close to each other and even tho "strangers" were looked at as weird, they would be accepted as friends and then family - that was the way it was with the ol conchs
when the Navy was there in Key West and they contributed quite a bit to the economy and community - they were still "strangers" - but again only for a short while - my dad was one of those that would bring home many of the young men to enjoy a day away from their routines - my dad was a cab driver and would on many occasions take these young men back to their bases without any charges - in fact many of these families kept in touch with my parents until their death - Key West would have accepted the cruise lines and all others, but what it brought into the town is what has created such an uproar - Ed Swift and many like him do benefit from the economy being so up - there is vendors there from all over the world that are ripping customers right and left - the conchs do stay away from Duval Street due to the sights of the tee shirt shops and greed- Key West has so much history and so many interesting places to see, but as the saying goes "you can't see the forest for the trees" -
Key West is a 2 X 4 island - Duval Street is the longest street in the world for it runs from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean - in those 2 miles, every kind of shop that will entice you to spend your monies do try - We love our hometown but what it has been allowed to be changed to makes us want to hang our head down in shame - even tho the conchs did not like strangers in our hometown, we were never mean or dishonest with them - the taxes, untilies, etc are the highest in the state and it is hard for the older conchs to stay there and most are selling their childhood homes to move away - oh yes they do sell their home for quite a bit, but the truth is none ever wanted to feel forced from their hometown - I believe all should be looked at and take into consideration as to what it is doing to Key West and not the greed that exist - I love sharing my hometown with you and this is why I am so happy to tell you about it and where to stay away from - I am ashame that parents have to be concern for their children of what is allowed to be displayed in shop windows - I am a shame that the tourist are taken advantage of - maybe I just remember when everyone was treated as an old friend regardless of size the bank account was. President Truman was just a man that took walks around Key West without any fear - my dad would many times walk with him early in the morn - it was a safe town -
Anyhow I just wanted you to know that I do not blame anyone that comes to Key West as a tourist - i do blame those that allow those to take the advantage as they do.
We do care about you
Always
Shirley and Norm

DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
06-14-2004, 06:46 AM
Shirley: Thank you for your input. We are really looking forward to visiting Key West.

hughiedeweylouie
06-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Just back from the Magic:
I will say that Key West was the ONLY port we didn't plan an excursion. We WALKED (ds 9and dd 12) to the southern most point and back. OH MY GOSH--that was far. My own stupidity. We did the Butterflies and Ripleys Believe it or Not Museum. Although I had read ahead of time, I had no idea how really bad Duval street was. I would like it if Disney found another place to stop. Probably to stress my point--I wouldn't do the Western Cruise again if this was a stop.
Ripley Believe it or Not--well believe it or not, we loved this place. If you have a son, they just get all into all those gross things and this place may be expensive to get into but it is HUGE. We were in there the longest time. My 12 yo dtr was so freaked out it was funny for my son and me. This is close to the ship. Might sound tacky but hey my children had fun so I had fun.

DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
06-14-2004, 10:04 AM
hughiedeweylouie: We have been to another Ripley Believe it or Not and my husband is a huge fan of the place. When I found out last month that there was one there (Shirley's Key West package), I knew if I told him we would have to go. Well, I told him, and now we will be going. Glad to hear that you and your son enjoyed it.

How much is admission and how long did you spend there? Thank you for the information.

Rock'n Robin
06-14-2004, 10:17 AM
I teach HS English and I just want a Hemingway T-shirt!!!
Does the KW Ripley's have the "can you roll your tongue" display where there is a mirror in front of you to practice? DH got taken in by that in Niagra Falls years ago.
Robin M.

Horace Horsecollar
06-14-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by hughiedeweylouie
I had read ahead of time, I had no idea how really bad Duval street was. I would like it if Disney found another place to stop. Probably to stress my point--I wouldn't do the Western Cruise again if this was a stop.
Key West has a perfect location as the Disney Magic heads to the Western Caribbean. I doubt any of the other Florida Keys could handle a ship the size of the Disney Magic. And, even if one of them could, there wouldn't be nearly as many things to do as in Key West.

We had a good day in Key West. We avoided Duvall Street entirely. That wasn't because of any grand plan to protect our impressionable daughters from seeing tasteless T-shirts. It's just that we went other places. The highlight was a tour of Harry Truman's "Little White House." Excellent tour, and fascinating insight into a different era and a different president.

I'm looking forward to returning to Key West on our next Disney Magic cruise.