PDA

View Full Version : Staying On The Ship @ Port

Zandy595
06-13-2004, 02:53 PM
I haven't been to St. Maarten or St. Thomas yet so I will definitely be going ashore for part of the day. I'm wondering whether we should do morning excursions or afternoon excursions. People have said that the pools are pretty empty on port days and I'd like to take advantage of this. Are they more empty in the morning or afternoon?

WDWLVR
06-13-2004, 02:59 PM
I would think the pools etc. would be quieter in the morning.

Personally I would go ashore in the morning and back to the ship in the afternoon. That way you can relax after running around and you never have to worry about making it back to the ship in time. I think the pools etc. would still be pretty quiet in the afternoon.

Mary Anne
06-13-2004, 03:54 PM
You don't want to stay on board, nope go off see it all, it's a once in a life time thing.......

ok, ok, I admit I want you off the boat so I can enjoy the peace and quiet of the pool while everyone else is off seeing the sights LOL

DH and I rarely get off, we enjoy the ship when we're in port. It's pretty empty till about an hour before dinnertime (first seating). I think the mornings are more quiet then then afternoon but either is much more quiet then sea days. Those days the pool is really, really busy.

kcashner
06-13-2004, 04:54 PM
We frequently stay on the ship....look at the Navigator and see what you might want to do on board (the programming is sparce on land days)...then plan your excursions accordingly.

Jiffymom
06-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Port days are always easy to get spa appointments. But heavens do this on St Marten and go to Saphire or Megans bay on St Thomas. Yes you can find a taxi to take you then find a great quiet spot on the beautiful beaches. You can go to pools any time.
I like to go early to the beach then return to the ship for a late lunch, dip in the pool and a nice nap or spa treatment. Enjoy!!

tvguy
06-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Port days are also good days to eat lunch in the dining room.
We did in St. Thomas, we were among about 20 people in the entire dining room.
They do track that though, they asked us our cabin number and recorded it.

Zandy595
06-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Jiffymom ~ It's actually just the opposite for me - I can go to the beach anytime. I live in south FL and have my pick of beaches, but we don't have a pool.

The programs and spa don't really interest me. All I want to do is relax at the pool without a huge crowd fighting for lounge chairs. DS(8) didn't get a chance to go on the Mickey slide on our last cruise. Is it open when we're in port? We had the whole pool to ourselves on Castaway Cay morning. It was great, except for the fact that the slide was closed.

RIDISNEYLOVERS
06-14-2004, 03:30 PM
We are going on the Western in November and when I told my DH that I wanted to stay on the ship (except for Castaway Cay of corse) he thought I was crazy!! I wanted to stay on because we have two small kids (a 4 year old and a 1 year old) - how could we do excursions with them? I could not leave my kids in the kids clubs / nursery while we get off the ship - just not happening. I know my kids would enjoy the pool!!