PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Western cruise excursions, please!

christianweecare
06-13-2004, 03:29 PM
DH & I will be taking our very first Disney Cruise next year. We will be doing the Western Caribbean in late Sept. For those of you with experience, can you give us your recommedations of the different excursions. Thanks for your help!

WDWLVR
06-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Our favorite Western excursion was snorkeling with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. You can book this through Disney like we did or I've also heard great things about booking direct with Captain Marvin's.

traycie2201
06-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi christianweecare, best advice is to look at these boards, also have a look at cruisecritic.com for information about each port and ideas for things to do , also really good information in the passporters field guide to the disney cruise line and on various other sites such as daves dcl , barbs site, wdw, allears etc. ask any questions here and you will get answered we all want to help each other have a great vacation and the planning helps pass the time :D
after checking out the dcl website and looking at the excursions they have then check them out for prices / suitability on shoretrips.com , captain marvins, sebago watersports, nativewaywatersports.com to name a few you will often find it is cheaper to book your own and that you get a more tailored itinerary. In cozumel there are rave reviews about mr sanchos beach and paradise beach, both free to enter with water icebergs, snorkelling , kayaking etc all included you just need to buy some food / drinks while you're there , taxi from port to beach $12

Happy planning , any questions just ask

webray
06-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Hubby and I did our very first cruise, last September..lol. We had never been to the islands the ship stops at, so we took some recommendations from the people on these boards..and put together our own adventure.
It was our 2nd time in Key West though.

For Key West..it is so easy to do Key West on your own. The Conch train/trolley tour is very nice, or you can rent the electric car and drive around yourself. We went to hemingways house, turtle krawl, Bo's fish market (for lunch..yummy), of course all the famous bars, stopped at the Sotiel gallery, and did some shopping. We had a verandah room, so we watched the sunset from the ship. Otherwise, you can do the sunset party in mallory square.

For Cozumel..we got off the ship, first thing in the morning and grabbed a taxi to Mr. Sancho's beach area. We had planned on having lunch there, this was recommened to us by other cruisers on this board before we left. Food is wonderful, beach is beautiful, clean, clean bathrooms, large hot tub, very relaxing. We spent about 3 hours or so, then headed back to dock/shopping area. Our first stop was the forum shops..that is the farthest shopping center away from the dock area. Hubby wanted to get cigars (upstairs), we had mojitos at the bar/restaurant there (2nd floor, overlooks water). then downstairs..yippee, the jewelry store. Did some shopping until almost dinner time..took our packages back to the ship, freshened up and came back out for dinner. The ships look beautiful all lit up on the water after dark. We had dinner at Carlos and Charlies..lots of fun and the food was very good.

Grand Cayman...we knew we wanted to see some of the major sites..so we inquired about taxi..there is a taxi stand/dispatch area right up the dock..they had the 2 hour island tour from aroun $15 or $20 per person..it was great. Stopped all the places we wanted to go and then some...lets you out to look around, mail postcards..do shopping..no rushing..very laid back. We enjoyed this a lot. Then the driver offered to leave anyone at the beach if they wanted to be dropped there, otherwise he took us back to the shopping area. We had passed a couple microbrews/restaurants..so we decided we would eat there. 1st one is Rackhams..they have the stingray beer, and a great menu. Very nice gift shop also. Deck/bar over looks water.
2nd..Big Bamboo...5 beers to sample..lighter menu..fresh fish grilled right on the deck for you. Both of these are ocean side..a short walk up on the left..of course. After that..plenty of shopping and back to the ship.

Castaway Cay...we just relaxed on the adult beach...it is excellent. Our second time to castaway cay...daughter was with us..we rented tubes and went out...they work like magnafying glasses on the water..you can float around and see the ocean life beneath you..very cool.

Just too much fun!

Hans Solo
06-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Recommend Sting Ray City for Grand Cayman and the Jeep excursion in Cozomel.
You can do Key West on your own but do follow Shirley's advice. She knows the town.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

RKB
06-13-2004, 09:14 PM
We did Key West on our own. The Conch Train got a bit boring. I would do the Bus that you can get off and on from. There is plenty to do and see on your own from walking distance.

Grand Cayman: we did Captain Marvins stingray city. Then took our own taxi to Hell and the Turtle farm. We had an excellent time at all of these.

Cozumel: We took a taxi (very easy to get a taxi for $10.00) to Chankanaab park. Here we did the dolpin swim (not encounter, but actual swim) I prebooked this through shoretrips.com. We were extremely happy with this park. We also snorkled, toured the Mayan gardens. There are also sea lion and bird shows. I would redo all of our excursions again in a heartbeat. My kids cried when the cruise was over!

TheWog
06-14-2004, 09:14 AM
try cozumelhomes.com for Cozumel Dune Buggy tour with lunch, beach, snorkeling and some ruins. Capt. Marvins is supposed to be incredible for Stingray City in Grand Cayman. there are jet ski tours in Key West that looklike a lot of fun. Good luck and have fun.

momofofo22
06-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Key West : Do it on your own. Personnaly, we didn't like Key West. DCL should skip that stop.

Grand Cayman : Snorkeling with the stingrays. We booked on the internet site of Captain Marvin. It was great, great service too.

Cozumel : We swam with the dolphins. It is a must. You have to booked far in advance on their website.

Castaway Cay : Just relaxed...

jrabbit
06-14-2004, 01:33 PM
If you like snorkeling then...
in KW there is the KW Catamaran Sail & Snorkel - we went out about 8 miles to the 3rd largest barrier reef in the world and snorkeled for about an hour. It was slightly stormy while we were out and still had some really great snorkeling

in GC we did the Shipwreck & Reef Snorkeling where you snorkle in front of the Magic over a shipwreck, then move over to a reef and snorkel there. Both stops were the best snorkeling we've experienced.

In Coz we went to a beach on our own. Next time I think I would go to Mr. Sanchos or Chakanab on our own.

JenKatt
06-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by momofofo22
Key West : Do it on your own. Personnaly, we didn't like Key West. DCL should skip that stop.

Grand Cayman : Snorkeling with the stingrays. We booked on the internet site of Captain Marvin. It was great, great service too.

Cozumel : We swam with the dolphins. It is a must. You have to booked far in advance on their website.

Castaway Cay : Just relaxed...

To each there own, but Key West is a great place to me, so much we're spending hubby's birthday there and we've been known to hop in a cessna to fly down there for dinner.

As far as the dolphin swim, we booked ours 90 days out, our friends booked on board while we were in port. A later time tho. But when we got to the park they were added to our group. So it isn't as sold as you might think.