PDA

View Full Version : Best DCL Souvenir

bernee
06-13-2004, 03:19 AM
Hi All,

Besides photos, what is the one DCL must-have souvenir that I should be saving my pennies for? How much? When is the best time to buy your DCL souvenir?

Thanks,
Renee

WDWLVR
06-13-2004, 06:56 AM
My favorite souvenir is a lead crystal block with the Magic in it that DH surprised me with on our last cruise. This one you order with the sailaway gifts from the brochure you get with your documents. Not sure if they sell it on board as we never saw it.

One of the most popular souvenirs is a replica of the ship. It is resin and I think costs about $25. You can buy it at any time but one afternoon/evening they will have the Captain available for signing items you bought and this is a popular one.

Chattyaholic
06-13-2004, 09:47 AM
The souvenirs I "HAD to have" on our Magic/Wonder cruises were: the resin replica of the ships, photo albums, t-shirts, tote bag, watch, ink pens, Christmas ornaments, coffee mugs...mmm, I THINK that's 'bout it! :) DH bought polo shirts, his favorite is of the ESPN club.

natdencro
06-13-2004, 09:51 AM
I bought the "Shipmates - Captain Mickey and Minnie" ornament. ($30?)Sits on the windowsill in my sun-lounge. A constant reminder of magical times. Nat:Pinkbounc

KaitlinsMom
06-13-2004, 10:38 AM
my christmas ornament and coffee mug - So when I have my tea every morning, I see Mickey and Minnie!

NJ Cruisers
06-13-2004, 10:43 AM
My favorite from the cruise (and all vacations) is the Christmas ornament. Every year when I decorate my tree I have the greatest memories from each ornament!!!! Of course, it takes me a LONG time to decorate the tree because I have to stop and remember each one. LOL

Diane

disneyholic family
06-13-2004, 10:46 AM
our favorite souvenir from whereever we travel is a fridge magnet...
our fridge is covered with magnets from all over the world...disney and the real one...
it's a lot of fun and keeps the memories alive....

invaderzim
06-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Our favorite souvenir is the resin model of the ship (ours is the Wonder from our first cruise). The Captain will even sign it with a special marker during his signing session. Every time I look at it I want to be on it!

Also, the photo album they sell on ship. It says Disney Cruise Line and it's nice to put your pictures in something with their emblem.

pth
06-13-2004, 01:03 PM
My favorite are the resin model of the ship and the coffee mug that looks like the stack on the ship.

buzz&woody'smom
06-13-2004, 01:16 PM
I love a wood picture frame that is dark wood and engraved with the DCL logo and year. I put a great photo in it and everytime I walk by it in my greatroom I smile.

I also love the photo album my sister got us and saved for Christmas it has a place to put a picture on the outside and then is full of photo's in the pouches on the inside.

I also have to say DU's gift to the cabin which I won't say in the event they are still giving it and it is a surprise is very nice.

We use part of it everyday and my boys love to relive the memories with it. It is a very nice and thoughtful gift!

B&W Mom

I support our troops :earsgirl:

smchan
06-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by disneyholic family
our favorite souvenir from whereever we travel is a fridge magnet...
our fridge is covered with magnets from all over the world...disney and the real one...

You and my wife... but I have to admit it's probably one of the cheapest souvenirs one could buy and they last longer than t-shirts and toys.

Sam

goofyguy1958
06-13-2004, 02:05 PM
My best souvenir is, hands down, that my 4-year-old son has come up to me each and everyday (some days multiple times) and said - at this point he has the big eyed sincere look only a 4-year-old can give - "Daddy, thank you very much for taking us on the Disney cruise." It melts my heart and makes every penny we paid the best investment I have ever made.:D

ivanova
06-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Question - do they have any kind of toddler/infant bathtub toys of the Magic/Wonder ship????

disneyholic family
06-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Sam..
well we get the t-shirts and hats too...my son has been known for years in his school for wearing nothing but disney tshirts (until this year, when they were replaced by funny sayings tshirts)...
but the magnets are as you say, cheap and easy...and we have them from every city and every country we've visited since we started this silly habit of ours....(about 10 years ago)....and we don't lose them...they're right there...on the fridge...
the stupidest thing of all is that when i had to buy a new fridge this year, one of the things i demanded was a door that could hold magnets.....kinda dumb to be sure...but i like kitsch better than house beautiful any day...at least when it comes to our fridge....

goin2disneyagain
06-13-2004, 03:50 PM
They do have a crystal replica of the ship. I debated the entire cruise about buying it and decided against it. I spent way too much money on pictures and I figured that was enough along with my picture frame and ornament and postcards.

buzz&woody'smom
06-13-2004, 03:55 PM
I remeber on the Magic in last fall that they had a "rubber like boat" with characters in the gift shop in the toy section. Looked like it could be used for bath or pool/beach use. They had a lot of cute things in the toys section. I always give my boys a set amount and let them pick something out of other day of so..........I have learned to take my own beach and pool toys by buying them at Wal-mart of the $1.00 and on the last day donate them to the kids area on Castaway Cay so I don't have to haul them back !

sitchu2
06-13-2004, 04:11 PM
My very favorite souvineer is the sailor mickey and sailor minnie plush that I bought for my daughter. Each was a surprise waiting for her on her pillow on seperate cruises.

Now they sit together on her pillow , and every day when I make her bed they bring a smile to my face as I think to myself:

"see ya real soon"!!!!!:crazy:

PhotobearSam
06-13-2004, 05:07 PM
How much do all these things cost?...Gotta budget more money::yes::

buzz&woody'smom
06-13-2004, 05:09 PM
That is something I forgot. The "Scuba Mickey" :D both of my boys have one in their rooms and LOVE him. It is a small stuffed Mickey Mouse with a yellow scuba gear outfit :earsgirl:

greytlady
06-13-2004, 06:31 PM
The most handy souvenier was the Excursion Kit (from the brochure). The bag in the kit helped bring home the other souveniers I picked up.

clh2
06-13-2004, 08:51 PM
My favorite souvenir was the Christopher Radko version of the ship. The captain signed them the last night of the cruise.

The cheapest souvenir - my DD bought 2 extra stamps at CC, and put them in her autograph book. The postmaster "cancelled" them. Each stamp has a picture of the ship.

Happy shopping!

Brittwoman
06-13-2004, 08:58 PM
My favorite souviner is my Mickey Christmas ornament that the captain signed.:lovestruc

bernee
06-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by goofyguy1958
My best souvenir is, hands down, that my 4-year-old son has come up to me each and everyday (some days multiple times) and said - at this point he has the big eyed sincere look only a 4-year-old can give - "Daddy, thank you very much for taking us on the Disney cruise." It melts my heart and makes every penny we paid the best investment I have ever made.:D

Agreed -- You did get the best souvenir ever!:D

bernee
06-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by clh2
My favorite souvenir was the Christopher Radko version of the ship. The captain signed them the last night of the cruise.

The cheapest souvenir - my DD bought 2 extra stamps at CC, and put them in her autograph book. The postmaster "cancelled" them. Each stamp has a picture of the ship.

Happy shopping!

Love the stamp idea. Definitely doing that one. Also, Christmas ornament and model of the ship both sound like winners. Better start saving $ now. Just under 5 months to go... (11/6 - Western)

Thanks,
Renee

Scratch42
06-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Clearance Section!

Last Cruise I picked up a Tote Bag. Mind you it said 2003 but we were on the Wonder that year! While on the Wonder they had this Metal thingy with 4 magnets on it. It made for great teacher gift too!

Then of course there are the Pins!

The best part, no tax!

Scratch
pirate:

chichihoney
06-14-2004, 10:04 AM
pins started to collecting them

a castaway cay tee shirt

a soda mug- now the soda is free

MBFergie
06-14-2004, 10:09 AM
My favorite is also the christmas ornament with the year on it, cost around $15. But, I am buying the clock($35-40) in August. I've regretted not buying it for 1 year now and soon it will have a place of honor on my living room wall unit!! Each room has this clock in it and they sell them in the gift shop.

Best advise...buy what you want, because if you don't it will cost you the item price plus another cruise...okay don't buy one item, gives you another reasons to rebook.

Happy Sailing!!

carone0318
06-14-2004, 11:24 AM
My favorite sourveniers really didn't cost much at all.

I bought the fridge magnets from Castaway Cay.

My most favorite though is my Mickey antenna head from the cruise ship where Mickey is wearing the captain's hat. I like this one because it is not one you see often (actually I haven't seen any others is the past year.) Everytime I am in my car, I look at it and think of the cruise.

I guess both of my gifts were under $10 ea, can't beat that! We decided (more like couldn't decide on which pictures to get from Shutters) so again we decided to buy all of the pictures, that cost a pretty penny!

I did buy a sweatshirt, but the above cheapo gifts are my fav's...

@GoofyNut
06-15-2004, 03:00 PM
The Magnets ... My frige is a constant reminder of where we went!

My pictures and my daily "notes" ... Have a wall in living room with a lot of photos hung to see each day. The "notes" are funny or memorable things that happened each day of the cruise.

Funny no one's mentioned the best thing we ALL brought home.
"THE MEMORIES, SILLY!" Everyone has some and we can bring them to the surface anytime we want to.

Hygiene99
06-15-2004, 05:19 PM
My favorite souvenir was free, it is the little white slip of paper that has the date and cabin number for our next cruise!!:tongue:

justmestace
06-15-2004, 05:27 PM
I think I bought one of everything, but the one that I like the most is my Mickey Wish Pearl necklace.
The casing for the pearl is Mickey's head, and you never know what color the pearl will be. Mine is cream, DD's was a gorgeous lavender!
Everytime I go to Disneyland, I have people stop me and ask where I got it. Even the CM's, since they don't sell them at DL!!
And I LOVE telling them that I got it on the Disney cruise!!!

PhotobearSam
06-16-2004, 02:38 PM
OOOooooooo Mickey Pearl....How much is the setting? Do they come in Silver?

I have to do this...Gotta budget more money$$$$:p

mmouse37
06-16-2004, 04:00 PM
My favorite souvineer is a DCL beach towel...I have several and always try to get one that has the year on it.

We use these for our shower towels...so everyday I am reminded of DCL and all the great memories we shared onboard!!!

MJ

lillygator
06-16-2004, 04:02 PM
umm....our best DCL souvnier will be the one that is arriving in late Jan/early Feb!!
We conceived on our cruise in May!! :)

CruisingCA2005
06-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Lillygator: We also brought home a DCL souvenir!! When we saw the DCL commercial of the little girl in the elevator telling everyong about their "little souvenir", my first thought was - "They made this commercial for us!"

DS loves the DCL t-shirts that we bought him on the cruise.

I'm trying to plan a budget for our cruise and these are the souvenirs that I plan to buy on our next cruise: DCL beach towel, scrapbooking album and paper pack, DCL coloring book (if they still have them), DCL Mickey antenna ball, t-shirts for the kids and an ornament.

natdencro
06-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Our best souvenier was the TAN! Not too many tans in UK in February/March! Nat:Pinkbounc

disneybride96
06-16-2004, 08:00 PM
I used to collect the fridge magnets. One year in St. Maarten I found a really cool 3-D fish....turned it over and it said "Made in Lafayette, Indiana". Of course, where was I living but Lafayette, Indiana. :crazy: Kinda ruined the magnet thing for me.

Now I like to get maps, posters or some type of print of the places I have been. I would lome to have one of the art deco type prints of the Magic, but haven't had any luck finding one. Our office walls are covered with memories.

justmestace
06-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by PhotobearSam
OOOooooooo Mickey Pearl....How much is the setting? Do they come in Silver?

I have to do this...Gotta budget more money$$$$:p

Mine is silver.....I don't remember if they had gold.....and the setting came with the Wish Pearl. They had other "regular" settings, without Mickey. I want to say it was around $29.95 ...??..I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't very expensive, in my opinion. Especially considering how special it is!

Disneycrazymom
06-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Just to help me plan, would an average T-shirt run about $25? Orniment about $20? Coloring book about $5? Thanks for the pearl idea, I know what Mom and I are bringing home!;) Maybe DH will bring one of those little "FREE" slips of white paper. I am getting so excited!!!!!!:teeth:

KyCruisinSusan
06-16-2004, 09:40 PM
My favorite souvenier has got to be all of our wonderful shutters pics. They are lined up in the hallway waiting to be joined by this years pics. Of course I also love our t shirts, magnet and shot glasses also. DH's favorite has got to be the xmas ornament we bought.

justmestace
06-17-2004, 02:08 AM
I thought of another one....on our first cruise it was hot, so I bought all t-shirts. That following winter we went to Disneyland, and I was sorry I hadn't bought a DCL sweatshirt to wear to the parks.
So on our second cruise I bought a pull-over & a zippered DCL sweatshirt to proudly wear all winter long!!!

kellib36
06-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by sitchu2
My very favorite souvineer is the sailor mickey and sailor minnie plush that I bought for my daughter. Each was a surprise waiting for her on her pillow on seperate cruises. Now they sit together on her pillow , and every day when I make her bed they bring a smile to my face as I think to myself:"see ya real soon"!!!!!:crazy:

I have these, too! And I use them for my special pins I got on 2 cruises.....now, if they'd just get some other characters in the larger size!

Destination Disney
06-17-2004, 01:02 PM
My DH and I went on the Wonder for our honeymoon in June 2000(4 day cruise.) ,and we dropped some coin on a matted picture that comemorated the Wonder's inagural voyage. It was a limited edition piece with metal nutical disney characters placed around the matting in a beautiful frame. We look at it everyday and count down to when we can take our little 2 year old DS on his first Disney cruise. This time we will be crusin' for 7 days! :earsgirl: :earboy2: (my son) :earsboy:

Farms
06-17-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm probably too late with this, but the best souvenier we have is a replica of the boat, signed by the captain I love it and it makes me wish I could go back every time I see it!!

bernee
06-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by justmestace
I think I bought one of everything, but the one that I like the most is my Mickey Wish Pearl necklace.
The casing for the pearl is Mickey's head, and you never know what color the pearl will be. Mine is cream, DD's was a gorgeous lavender!
Everytime I go to Disneyland, I have people stop me and ask where I got it. Even the CM's, since they don't sell them at DL!!

Pearl necklace is now topping my list. I got the "Tiffany" Mickey necklace and braclet at Disneyland and love them. I am sure I will love the pearl necklace, too.

Thanks, Renee

DizneyDogs
06-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Can you post a picture of the Mickey pearl necklace. I would love to see what it looks like.

natdencro
06-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Mickey Pearl Necklace? Wow, just the thing for DH to buy me for our Pearl Anniv on the ship next March. Thanks for the info! Nat:Pinkbounc

justmestace
06-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by DizneyDogs
Can you post a picture of the Mickey pearl necklace. I would love to see what it looks like.

I've been trying to get my pictures on a website....I had pictures on the Community photo board here, but they're having some technical difficulties...... I will work on getting a photo put up somewhere...or, if you PM me your e-mail address, I can send it to you in an e-mail!
Stacey

alexandrew
06-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Limited Edition pins that I collect with my DS - we collect only DCL pins b/c they are so exclusive - Everytime we cruise, I buy a bunch to add to his pin album....we really enjoy looking at them....unfortunately, the Artist Choice pins sell out so fast

TaraBelle1069
07-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by bernee
Pearl necklace is now topping my list. I got the "Tiffany" Mickey necklace and braclet at Disneyland and love them.

I have wanted a Tiffany bracelet for a long time but now I want a Mickey one!! I don't remember seeing one at Disneyland in March (perhaps I was too focused looking for watches!). I'll have to see if I can find one at WDW.

Do they have nice DCL watches? I try to collect (actually "try" is the wrong word...I'm very good at collecting) watches. I have mostly limited editions but some that I just like. My biggest disappointment, watch-wise, was that they didn't have any Disneyland Paris watches when I went. I still have enough Disney watches to wear one a day for over a month and not repeat.

chmb1
07-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Mine is an autographed captain's hat autographed by Captain Tom. Picked it up at the on-board auction.

slk
07-16-2011, 10:24 AM
The Magnets ... My frige is a constant reminder of where we went!

Love our magnets too! - reminders of everywhere we have traveled. :goodvibes Bought quite a few items but favs are the picture
frame and the dated Christmas ornament which I actually leave out
all year. It's sitting out on the shelf on our computer desk. I liked it
so much I didn't want to put it away. Great reminders of great
memories:)

HermanTriplets+1
07-16-2011, 10:25 AM

Is this a "Pick a Pearl" or just a necklace with a pearl in it - it sounds beautiful!! Do you have a picture you could post??

Allesma
07-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Love this. Where can I find this necklace in the shops? Where the watches are sold?
Thanks for sharing this, I tought that the jewelery was costing a lot of $$ on the ship.

BCV23
07-16-2011, 01:11 PM
My favorite souvenir is a 14kt gold charm of the Wonder. Disney Wonder is engraved on the bottom. It was a gift from our DS1 and his wife.

girl_barrie
07-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Our favorite souvenirs were;
For our son; his DCL nautically dressed Mickey, Minnie, Chip & Dale - we surprised him with them on his bed!!! We also got him the kids' Bon Voyage gift with the ship nightlight, signature pillow (that we had all of the characters sign with permanent fabric markers!!! Squeeeee!!!), and a stuffy Pluto. He still has all of them lined up on his bed next to the ship pillow that we got from the P.V. Pirate sail!
For me; the magnets - like many of you, my fridge is full of memories of places that we & our friends have visited! Small, compact, usually inexpensive & really cute! We especially love the ones that we got in our FE that were handmade! :love:
For my hubby; He loved the feeling of relaxation from being able to spend some time in the spa! He's a massage therapist & rarely has anyone work on him! Plus the excitement of knowing that we have already booked our next cruise!!! :banana:

goofy370
07-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Mine is silver.....I don't remember if they had gold.....and the setting came with the Wish Pearl. They had other "regular" settings, without Mickey. I want to say it was around $29.95 ...??..I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't very expensive, in my opinion. Especially considering how special it is!

This sounds lovely!! Do you have a picture? Where on the ship did you purchase it?

Thank you!!

seasideliz
07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Don't know if you noticed that the original thread here is from 2004, so you may not get answers on some of the questions.

Great idea for a thread though, maybe someone should start a new one?

My son wears his DCL sweatshirt everywhere and my girls LOVE their "Baby" Buzz and "Baby" Pluto !!

I didn't buy anything for myself, though I wish I had purchased the photo of my DH and I from our dinner at Palo..... I also really like the D&B wristlets, so if they have those when we go back, I may get one of those!

DisPrincess26
07-16-2011, 02:45 PM
My favorite souvenir I bought on DCL was the Golden Mickey Statue

Stuchang
07-17-2011, 12:27 AM
My wife got a Swarovski crystal denim jacket with a huge hidden mickey on the back. I always get a fleece or a few shirts.

ruadisneyfan2
07-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Don't know if you noticed that the original thread here is from 2004, so you may not get answers on some of the questions.
Great idea for a thread though, maybe someone should start a new one?

My son wears his DCL sweatshirt everywhere and my girls LOVE their "Baby" Buzz and "Baby" Pluto !!

I didn't buy anything for myself, though I wish I had purchased the photo of my DH and I from our dinner at Palo..... I also really like the D&B wristlets, so if they have those when we go back, I may get one of those!

So those little DCL "souvenirs" are now around 6 yrs old. ;)

cntkg1
07-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Our grandson was born EXACTLY 9 months after our family cruise and according to the Dr, right on time. (July 24th, 2010)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/cntkg1/631003341_14-1.jpg

:dance3::dance3::dance3:

RLccweems
07-17-2011, 01:39 PM
My favorite from the cruise (and all vacations) is the Christmas ornament. Every year when I decorate my tree I have the greatest memories from each ornament!!!! Of course, it takes me a LONG time to decorate the tree because I have to stop and remember each one. LOL

Diane

I have a few of these as well and I got them signed by the Captain. This past Christmas the kids asked which one they got to take with them when they had their own home! :scared:

toy
07-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Our grandson was born EXACTLY 9 months after our family cruise and according to the Dr, right on time. (July 24th, 2010)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/cntkg1/631003341_14-1.jpg

:dance3::dance3::dance3:

He is the best souvenir EVER!

Mom2PrincessesLinSy
07-17-2011, 02:54 PM
The Captain Mickey, Nautical Minnie, Sailor Donald plush magnets. They stick to our door in the sunroom. The kids love to put them in unique places on the doors, fridge, washer/dryer, etc

dismom73
07-17-2011, 02:55 PM
my christmas ornament and coffee mug - So when I have my tea every morning, I see Mickey and Minnie!

These are my "must haves" too! We get a Christmas ornament on every Disney vacation we go on and I LOVE getting the coffe mugs from vacations because it's a daily reminder of our memories. :lovestruc

dream2011
07-17-2011, 07:02 PM
My favorite souviner from the cruise is priceless memories... Our family will never forget our first Disney cruise on may 1 2011. I finally talked my husband into a cruise and now he is hooked.......
Thanks, Cathy

lisamarch
07-17-2011, 07:35 PM
I got an over-the-shoulder duffle bag at Castaway Cay that I really like.

cntkg1
07-17-2011, 08:17 PM
He is the best souvenir EVER!

Thank you. I think so too. ;)