PDA

View Full Version : OKW: 15 yr. anniversary trip

KSgirl
06-12-2004, 02:37 AM
My wonderful husband and I will be celebrating our 15 year anniversary on July 7 - 11 at OKW. We are escaping reality (and our four children) for some quality time alone. We chose OKW (a splurge) for the space, but haven't found many reviews of the quality of the suites. Would anyone care to give some feedback...both good and bad....concerning this resort so we have the appropriate expectations? Thanks for your input...we certainly appreciate it!

:earsgirl: :earsboy:

kathmzh
06-12-2004, 06:12 AM
OKW is a lovely resort. It is a condominium style place, so you unit, depending on which size you have will have some kitchen facilities (nice for breakfast in bed);) .
The grounds are great for walking around, although in July it might be hot! The main pool is beautiful and has a hot tub, and there are quiet pools around the resort too. We took the boat from OKW to downtown Disney a few times, you will enjoy that. We also enjoyed the food at Olivia's, the restuarnat at OKW. Have a great trip and happy anniversary!

KIMHELMS99
06-12-2004, 03:06 PM
We have stayed there twice once in a 1br villa the second in a 2br villa and it has become our favorite resort. The rooms are spacious, the balconies large and fairly private.

It is spread out but if you have a car you can park right outside your room. Olivia's is great also. If you get one of the villa's the large jacuzzi tubs are very relaxing.

The kitchen is fully stocked (they even had wine glasses). I think you'll have a very wonderful and romantic anniversary. Have fun!

Connears
06-12-2004, 04:25 PM
OKW is our home resort. It is beautiful and very low key. Although it is large, you can walk or take an internal bus anywhere. Even from the furthest buildings, it is a nice walk. If you have 1, 2 or 3 bedroom villa, you willl have a jacuzzi in the master bath and full kitchen and washer/dryer. The accomodations are the largest of all DVC resorts, even the studios. CM are helpful and friendly. You are right on a cgolf course and may get to be right on a green. DH loves to sit with his morning coffee and watch the golfers! I don't think you can have a bad time at OKW. We have been there 11 times and loved every minute.
Connears

KSgirl
06-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback.....we are really looking forward to our stay. We have booked a one-bedroom villa, and are planning to spend more time at the resort than at the theme parks on this particular trip. One of my main questions is: are the beds very comfortable? Our last stay in May was at PO Riverside, and, while we found the grounds beautiful, the beds were NOT comfortable at all. Even when tired from the parks, we did not sleep well. We are hoping to get a better nights' sleep at this resort.

PamOKW
06-12-2004, 09:04 PM
I've found the beds comfortable. It is a King size bed in the one-bedroom. You will also have a lovely balcony or patio that you can enter from the living area or the bedroom to enjoy looking over the grounds (I love a golf course view). There is a jacuzzi in the bath. I think you've made a lovely romantic choice for your anniversary! Have you seen pictures of the rooms? There is ferry boat that will take you to DD (and SSR if you'd like to take a look). The actual boat for the ferry has just changed (bigger to accomodate SSR) so I can't comment first-hand but the ride itself is fun to do at least once. Buses also run to DD or you can even walk.

Deweysgirl
06-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Happy 15th! Hi, can't comment on OKW but we are also celebrating our 15th anniversary July 1st-3rd at POR. What's cool is that we honeymooned here 15 years ago and MGM had just opened. They are celebrating our anniversary with us too! ::yes:: They have pins that say 15th Anniversary on them just so you know in case you want to get one to commemorate your trip! I'll be getting one!

Have fun! ::yes::

KSgirl
06-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Deweysgirl~ Congratulations on your 15yr. anniversary too! And, yes, I knew about the 15 year ann. pins at MGM. My husband and I thought that was a neat coincidence too (though we didn't make it to MGM on our honeymoon....we did go to MK and Epcot). We picked up our pins in May when we took a weekend trip (stayed at POR, in fact). The pins are really very nice.

PamOKW~ Thanks for the information. I am getting very excited now! I have seen only a few of the interior shots of the villas, but the ones I've seen look very nice. I would like to take the boat to DD...that sounds like fun. I'm so glad to hear about the bed "comfort factor" too; that is reassuring :)

disneyholic family
06-13-2004, 04:05 AM
the OKW suites are the biggest among the disney villa properties....we stayed in a two bedroom that was HUGE.......
i'm sure you'll enjoy the room....personally, i like the buildings that are very far back in the resort...or rather, very deep in...with water/golf course views....you might want to do a bit of research to see where you would prefer staying and then make a request...you might get it...
"the unofficial guide to walt disney world 2004" , by bob sehlinger has a layout of the property and gives the numbers of the preferred buildings to request....

you should also tell them it's a special occasion, maybe that will improve your chances of getting the building you request...

TwingleMum
06-13-2004, 07:18 AM
One of the best features of the DVC resorts are the HUGE jacuzzi hot tubs. For a trip like yours - a bottle of bubbly a nice tub (be careful you could bring home a souvenier LOL!!) Enjoy!Post on DVC BB and they would have pictures.

lentesta
06-13-2004, 08:05 AM
Hi KSgirl,

Congratulations on your anniversary. Many more.

Regarding OKW, many Unofficial Guide staff stay there every year. It's a favorite. I think it's a fine choice.

Sincerely,

Len Testa

princess: <-My DD5 is helping me with posting.

KSgirl
06-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Darn! I passed along my copy of the Unofficial guide to my SIL (who would LOVE to go to Disney, but it's not in the family finances anywhere in the near future, and I knew she'd love dreaming over it).

Can anyone pass along the great buildings/views to request? That would be wonderful! :) And, PS, thanks to all for your lovely, romantic ideas ;) .

kathmzh
06-14-2004, 10:11 AM
I was in building 17 in May, second floor, and I loved it. Great view of the golf course, close to bus stop and quiet pool, short walk (5 min?) to main pool and Olivia's. Nice, quiet area.