PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that go more than once a year?

Luv2trav
06-11-2004, 07:23 PM
How long do you typically stay? and do you switch from Deluxe to Moderate or usually stay in the same catagory?

I'm just curious...:)

CamColt
06-11-2004, 07:27 PM
This year was unusual for us as we got APs and took 3 trips.
We spent 6 nights at ASMO last August, 4 nights at the Swan & 5 nights at the Poly in December, and we will spend 3 nights at ASSP and 4 at the Poly in July. So, to answer your question, I guess we mix it up a bit.

johnsonet
06-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Hello...
I seem to be going with increased frequency as the years pass...princess: :bounce: :Pinkbounc
I am lucky enough to stay all-deluxe, all the time :crazy: . Last trip was 7 nights - our longest trip ever. I'd love to stay for 10 days some time...but 7 was wonderful! We are going next month for 5 nights. Our average is probably 4 nights but I am quickly taking care of THAT low number ;) :cool:
Personally, I find the bump from 4 nights to 5 nights makes a big difference. At the end of 4 nights, I feel I'm just settling in and enjoying myself too much to leave but after 5 nights I'm willing to go home so that I can see my husband:teeth:

3PRINCESSMOM
06-11-2004, 09:07 PM
We stayed at the Dolphin last December, when we purchased our first AP's. At that time we decided to go 2 Decembers in a row, (last year 2nd week, this year 1st week); to get 2 trips on one set of AP's. We aren't 100% sure, but we think this will be the year we have to go to 2 rooms at a value (probably Pop) 3 princesses and all. However, when Southwest Airlines offered the $49 (one way) airfare we decided to jump on it and planned a late Summer trip, too (w/o Dad, but with extended family). We have 3 rooms booked at POFQ in August.

So to answer your question, yes we will probably "down grade" in order to accomodate this higher frequency. We'll see, though. I can't report accurately until we firm up our Dec. 04 resort plans.

polkadotminnie
06-11-2004, 09:18 PM
In March, we stayed 3 nights CSR, 2 RP (Universal), then 2 POFQ. This Oct. we are staying HRH (Universal) 3 nights then POLY 3 nights. We usually stay about 6 nights. It depends on our funds and discounts available as to which category of resort we choose. It also depends on which tickets we have left at the time. We won't need to buy any in Oct. Since we still have 2 days on our hoppers at Disney as well as season passes to: Universal, IOA, Seaworld, and Busch Gardens, we can stay deluxe this time.

johnnyr
06-11-2004, 09:19 PM
We usually go twice a year. We take 10 days at a deluxe for one trip and 5 to 7 days at a moderate for our second one.

Deb & Bill
06-11-2004, 09:50 PM
We go twice a year and stay in a one bedroom villa in at DVC resort. We're DVC members. We usually stay 8 or 9 nights each time. We don't move from the resort.

DebbieB
06-11-2004, 10:23 PM
My Mom and I usually go twice a year and I go once with friends but I managed 5 times last year! My Mom and I did our usual May at OKW (7 nights) and Dec at BWV (6). My friends & I did Feb at POFQ (3). Then my mom and I decided to give MNSSHP a try, we stayed at CBR in early Oct (5) I don't know if you would count the last one - I stayed one night in early Nov at CBR when I was in Orlando for business (arrived Sunday, stayed Sunday night then went to Downtown Orlando Mon & Tues for work). Used AP's. The Feb trip was on an AP I bought in May 02. I bought a new one in May 03 and used that one for the rest of the trips, plus April (friends trip) & May this year (5 nights & 6 nights).

tci1212
06-11-2004, 10:27 PM
I used to go once a year for 11 days, now I go 2 to 3 times a yr
and stay anywhere from 6 to 8 nights. We always stay at the Cabins in FW. We like having the separate bedroom for the Kids.

onecoolmama
06-12-2004, 08:23 AM
We seem to stay one time at a delux and one time at a moderate. But we might check out the values if we go a thrid time.

ColoradoDis
06-12-2004, 08:31 AM
2004 will be the second time we've gone more than once per year - In 2001, we spent seven nights at POR and then came back and spent 4 nights at the CR and 5 nights at the BC.

This year we spent 3 nights at the Poly and 6 nights at the CR. My daughter and I will return in October and spend 8 nights at the WL. (really looking forward to trying the WL)

Tiffany
06-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Luv2trav
How long do you typically stay? and do you switch from Deluxe to Moderate or usually stay in the same catagory?

I'm just curious...:)

We have APs and try to go twice a year. This year we are lucky enough to be going three times.

In Jan we stayed AKL Concierge for 6n/7d.
In May we stayed CSR in a water view room for 4n/5 days but we arrived very late on our arrival day.
This coming Sept we are booked to stay in a Lake View room at the Dolphin for 8n/9d.

dcfromva
06-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Luv2trav,
Cost is usually the deciding factor for us. We made the "mistake" :) of purchasing an AP and in the past 12 months, we have gone:

July 20-27: Contemporary (wing room) SOG price (and PBH for a weekend using ENT rate)

Nov 1-4: BCV using DVC points

Dec 26-Jan3: HHI 2 nights using Disney Visa promotion code/BCV using DVC points/PBH for 1 night using AP discount.

Feb 3-6: Contemporary (wing room) SOG price

Apr 4-8: VWL using DVC points

May 25-31: 3 nights SSR using DVC points, 3 nights SOG

That's it for now (the AP runs out in July :) ), the next WDW trip will not be until Oct/Nov (for MNSSHP) and we will use DVC points.

-DC :earsboy:

dcfromva
06-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Tiffany,
Are you the Tiffany I said Hello to at the MCO airport on May 31st (because I spotted the lime green ribbon on your suitcases on the escalator) ?
If so, :wave: Hi again!

skiwee1
06-12-2004, 09:09 AM
We go twice a year and stay deluxe both times. The ends up being 25-30 days at the Poly a year. We are making it 3 trips this year because we are going to go to MVMCP that we have never seen yet. No wonder the guard welcomes me home when I pull up to the Poly. LOL! I wish I could live there!

Tiffany
06-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by dcfromva
Tiffany,
Are you the Tiffany I said Hello to at the MCO airport on May 31st (because I spotted the lime green ribbon on your suitcases on the escalator) ?
If so, :wave: Hi again!

I am. Hi Again. It was very nice to meet you. This made the thrid trip that we have "ran into" someone from the DIS.:wave2:

mirlow
06-12-2004, 09:34 AM
When we go more than once our Summer trip is our big getaway. We usually stay around 10 days and stay at deluxe resorts. Our visits in the winter are shorter 5-6 days. I try to make them cheaper visits.
This yr my dh has a few conventions at WDW and Orlando so that will help with the cost. We are going to try some new resorts on our "bonus trips":D

ninahbear
06-12-2004, 09:51 AM
I always try to figure it out how people can go so often can someone give me some pointers. I know people who live fairly close to FL it is easy but what about me in PA?

DizzyBell
06-12-2004, 10:00 AM
We were there in November and stayed at CSR for a week and are leaving soon to return to CSR. We usually stay for a week. This trip will be for ten days. This resort is our favorite and we always seem to return to it. The shortest time we have stayed was for five days but a week is what we prefer. :sunny:

skiwee1
06-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by ninahbear
I always try to figure it out how people can go so often can someone give me some pointers. I know people who live fairly close to FL it is easy but what about me in PA?

I live in Maryland but go 25-30 days a year and stay at the Poly. We made the mistake of getting APs so that made us go more. Sometimes we get an AP discount and sometimes not. This past April we had to pay rack rate. I can go more often for a number of reasons. For one I do not work and travel with my 5 y/o DD, and my mom who also doesn't work. We have more time to do what we want. I can also go more often because DH doesn't go with me. He is not a big Disney fan so he doesn't mind when I go off to get my Disney fix. Not only does that cut the cost of paying for additional adult but that also means he stays home and makes more money to support my WDW trips! LOL! Also my mom and I split the cost of the room so a $400 a night room only costs me $200. If I traveled with DH then we would be paying the entire thing. So that is a huge savings. We try to drive down to WDW, instead of flying. It costs us more to do this believe it or not but we love driving. We do fly too and will be in October but I am not a good flier. I am sure there are all kinds of reasons people have to being able to go to WDW a lot.

CarolA
06-12-2004, 10:35 AM
I bought DVC just for this reason. I normally try to make at least part of every visit at DVC.

I just booked a July 4th visit. Two nights in an OKW Studio and one night un-decided (Last year the Swan/Dolphin had a great $99 rate that weekend and I keep hoping it will re-appear).

I am also willing to stay offsite for my short visits. (I usually combine these with a visit to my Dad in Frostproof, Disney is my reward for going to the world's most boring town! LOL!) I use Priceline and have stayed at the Marriott WOrld Center, Hilton DTD and Wyndam Palace DTD for the price of a a value resort.

goofy4tink
06-12-2004, 12:02 PM
We were going every other year or so. Then last August my dh decided we should look into DVC. Well, 2 months later and we were in. So, I planned on being able to go once a year using my points. Well, that's not going so well. My dd and went back in Dec, before my points were available and stayed at AllStarMu. Loved it. Booked a 6 night stay at BWV for our first trip home this coming August. Dh suggested going for Thanksgiving. Okay, I can live with that. So, changed my reservation at BWV to Sunday thru Friday in a studio instead of a 1-bdrm. Then I make reservations for the preceeding Fri and Sat nights at CR. Now, I get to try all the other resorts for a night or two before going DVC. And we will be at VWL, in a studio instead of 1 bdrm. from Thanksgiving Day until the following Wed.

We try to get airfare that's no more than $250 pp. With only 3 traveling it's not too bad. And we are planning on dd and I spending 5 nights at WDW next summer and then dh will join us and drive to VB for 5 nights. Yes, we did buy APs for all of us. The rest of my family thinks we're nuts. Yep, nuts about Mickey!!!

marcyinPA
06-12-2004, 12:12 PM
I would love to go more than once every year or two, but so would my dh, and there is no way he is letting me go down there without him:p

Just curious, for those of you who travel to Disney often as a family, do you get alot of vacation time from work?? My dh only gets 10 days a year, so going on 2 or 3 trips to Disney for even a few days wouldn't work.

We just got back in May and already I am obsessing about going again. I would love to go in the Fall...but no more vacation time for dh, unfortunately.

Tiffany
06-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by ninahbear

We live in MA and I think it just comes down to choices. Everyone has discretionary income and different people choose to spend that in different ways. Once we put money aside for retirement, pay the bills and put money aside for rainy day and home improvement projects what we have left over we spend on Disney. Some people I know buy expensive clothes and shoes. We travel.

All Aboard
06-12-2004, 01:46 PM
We live in Miami (about 3.5 hours away) We make 10 - 12 trips to Orlando each year. Generally, we do a couple of 2 night trips, a bunch of 3 night trips and one 8 night vacation each year.

WDW LifeLong Fan
06-12-2004, 02:45 PM
We usually go 2 to 3 times annually for 7-10 nights and always stay Deluxe. We usually go one day early and try out a value or moderate for one night and then check in our resort around 10:00 a.m. ::yes::

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

mirlow
06-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by marcyinPA
I
Just curious, for those of you who travel to Disney often as a family, do you get alot of vacation time from work?? My dh only gets 10 days a year, so going on 2 or 3 trips to Disney for even a few days wouldn't work.

My dh owns his business so we have a lot of flexibility. He brings his laptop and will get some work done during our rest periods.

Kimmykins
06-12-2004, 05:26 PM
DF and I bought APs this year that started on June 1, 2004. We stayed at POFQ for 10 days starting on that day. We are planning to go again in November for 5 days or so, staying at a moderate resort, or even a deluxe if we can swing it. ;) Then in March we will be going with his parents for approx. a week and staying at the Wilderness Lodge. I was always interested in spliting our days between resorts, but DF isn't too keen on the idea.

christianweecare
06-12-2004, 06:16 PM
This year will mark the most trips made in one year for us. We normally will make at least two trips on an annual pass. One week long trip for DH & I and a long weekend trip with family members. We purchased this year's AP last Dec. when we split our stay between WL and AKL. We made our long weekend trip with family in Jan. with a stay at the Pop Century. This spring DH & I took two spring weekend trips and stayed at the Royal Hotel Plaza both trips. After Thanksgiving we will be back at the AKL for six nights. We live in Georgia so it is about a five hour drive for us to Orlando.

Charleston Zurg
06-12-2004, 08:25 PM
We usually stay at a mod of value resort. I have been able to talk my DW into letting us stay at a delux a couple of times. However, money is sometimes an issue. So I would rather stay at a mod or value and go back more often than stay at a delux. We tend to go two to three times a year. We are not AP holders, and usually on one trip we do not even go to the parks.

Deweysgirl
06-12-2004, 08:35 PM
We are Florida residents and we go 2-3 times a year for 2-3 days each time. We always stay Value (ASMo-Pop) with the exception of October when we rent a FW Cabin.
We got a great rate for moderates for our upcoming weekend trip with Fl. resident/Disney Visa discount, so POR...here we come!

Taja
06-12-2004, 08:53 PM
A friend and I went to WDW in August 2003 on the FTP and stayed at YC Concierge. It was my first trip to WDW in 23 years, and her first trip there ever! Although we usually do one or two long weekend "ladies only" trips in the western US each year, this was a particular luxury for us, as we didn't have to spend all of our time planning every little aspect of the trip. We stayed 8 nights that trip.

I enjoyed that trip so much (apart from the humidity!), that I decided to return to WDW in December for the holiday theme. After researching the options, I decided to purchase an AP, which meant I could stay at a moderate resort with the AP discount for the price of a value resort at rack rate (value season), with net savings of about $250 (difference between the savings on the room rate and higher cost of an AP over 7-day PHP). This trip also was 8 nights--just happened to fit into my schedule at the time.

As you can imagine, now that I have an AP, I'm ready to travel to WDW again. I had a nice little hole in my schedule around Labor Day weekend, a roundtrip voucher for Southwest (was going to use it for a "ladies only" weekend in October, but it made more sense to use it on a longer trip) and my AP, it seemed like a good idea to book a value resort to make it a low cost trip. I'll be staying six nights this trip--I have a travel day (five-hour flight) on each side of five full days to enjoy WDW magic!

And since my handy AP is valid through December 10th, I'll be joining some folks from another board to celebrate the holidays just a wee bit early! It probably will be 8 or 9 nights--nothing is booked yet. I'm waiting for Southwest to release their December schedule so I can use another roundtrip voucher! :) Probably will stay offsite or combination of offsite and vallue resort.

That most likely will be the end of my WDW trips for a year or two. Since I'm much closer to Disneyland (one-hour flight), I expect to make one or two trips there during their 50th Anniversary schedule that begins next year (June?).