PDA

View Full Version : Problems with mold at the Poly


MinnieM21
06-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi!:wave: I'm going to be going on my first WDW trip ever and I'm SOOO excited! Anyway, my question is concerning the mold in some of the rooms at the Poly. I've heard that some of the rooms have really bad mold problems and well..I'm very allergic to mold and have bad asthma. So I was wondering, what longhouses have the most problems with mold? Also, for those of you who have stayed at the Poly and had a mold-free room, what room did you stay in and what longhouse was it in? I would greatly appreciate your responses. Thanks so much! :)

Tikiman
06-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Never seen any mold in any room I have been in at the Polynesian ever.

catnik
06-10-2004, 10:27 PM
We have stayed in Tuvalu (lagoon room 3rd floor, don't remember room #) and Hawaii (3rd floor rm 3507) and have not had any problems with mold. Visited friends in Samoa in 1999 (third floor view of pool, don't remember room #) and they did not have any complaints of mold, either.

Lisa3
06-11-2004, 12:09 AM
When we returned from our trip to the Polynesian last November our DD was diagnosed with asthma and a mold allergy. We all thought for years that she was allergic to tree pollen which is why I thought it odd that her symptoms were worse during our stay at the Polynesian. We stayed GVC on the 1st floor and during our stay we did notice an odor in the hall which DH said reminded him of "wet dog". We did not see any mold anywhere but upon finding out about her allergy it made perfect sense. Her symptoms cleared up about a day after we left.

I am not saying they have a "mold problem" at the Polynesian. After all, Florida is very humid most of the year and mold thrives in this environment. We also stayed in Tokelau (also 1st floor) 2 years ago and she did not have any problems during that visit.

She is now on asthma medication and her symptoms have improved greatly. We are planning on staying at the Polynesian LVC in September but we are requesting the 3rd floor to get her up off of the "dampness" of the concrete slab of the ground floor.

If you are very concerned I would check with you doctor and see what his recommendations are. My DD's allergy is not "life threatening" but your doctor knows you best.

k&a&c'smom
06-11-2004, 02:33 AM
I have asthma, too, and have never had any problems at the Poly. Lots of problems in the motels on the way down, when we drive, but never the Poly!

We've stayed in Aotearoa twice, 1st floor both times, and Hawaii, 2nd floor.:sunny:

MinnieM21
06-11-2004, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the info everyone! I really appreciate it! I can't wait until my first trip to WDW :Pinkbounc Oh and by the way.. Tikiman, you're website is absolutely amazing. I've gotten so much information from it, thank you for making such an awesome site! :)

WeLoveThePoly
06-11-2004, 07:59 AM
Just wanted to add some more reassurance about the Poly & mold. My DH is extremely allergic to mold. We stay at the Poly every trip and he's never had a problem.

I know of the "wet dog" smell that was mentioned but we've only smelled it once ..... in the hallway when we stayed in Aoteroa (in '01).

Go and enjoy the Poly. It's wonderful!!

Debbie

WDW LifeLong Fan
06-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Tikiman
Never seen any mold in any room I have been in at the Polynesian ever.


Neither Have I.

JandT'smom
06-11-2004, 08:19 AM
My son highly allegic only to mold and causes asthmas attacks. We have stayed ay the poly 3 times no problem what so ever. Where we have a awful time is at home in the fall when the fields are plowed and all the mold spores from the soil are released. He can be very ill with allergys and asthma for several weeks. Always have the nebulizer machine ready in the fall.

Tikiman
06-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Well I have had severe asthma since birth and I have stayed in the ground level many times with not a single problem. Growing up I could not go anywhere without my inhaler in my pocket. Luckily my activities have helped me deal more with my asthma but if the ground floors were that bad I would have had a problem the minute we set foot in the place. Also concrete is not a good source of moisture (yes I am an engineer) and the main reason the reconstructed the foundations of the original longhouses was to limit the moisture being trapped below the floors of the old modular construction of the rooms. They even tore up the plants around the longhouses and rerouted the drainage. As someone else said it is Florida and things can grow but they Polynesian has done a lot to eliminate this issue. Also the ďwet dogĒ smell can sometimes be the air system like when you first turn on your car air conditioner when it has been sitting in the heat. This is not a sign of mold. The old notion that the Polynesian has any more mold than any other resort in WDW is not a true statment but if everyone wants to believe it that it is fine with me. I won't have as much trouble getting reservations when I want to go.

By the way I have seen more mold in the YC (which I still enjoyed) than I ever have seen at the Polynesian.

Aloha

Steve

k&a&c'smom
06-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Yes, Tikiman, I have to agree! I've seen posts about wet floors, needing air cleaners to deal with the smell, etc. on most of the other resorts, yet the rumor of this being a problem specific to the Poly persists.:confused:

I don't get it!:confused3

Tikiman
06-11-2004, 11:35 AM
k&a&c'smom,

My opinion based on NO fact at all is the Polynesian is just a target for rundown and moldy comments. Not that there has never been anything run down there or moldy but no more than any other resort. I even saw wear on the AKL when I was there. I donít think people realize how new most of the things are at the Polynesian. Things get replaced year after year including all the wood around the exteriors of the longhouses so I have to laugh when people say that the buildings are old and run down. They assume what they are looking at is what was there in 1971 when it opened. There is very little you can visually see that is still there from even the 1980ís. Even the cement paths have been replaced since then.

It will always be a target for these comments. I just feel it is too bad that people who book there read about it and than spend their time worrying about changing resorts when they could just end up with the same problem at another resort they think is cleaner or newer.

By the way. Good choice of resorts for your next trip. I loved my trip where we split with the AKL and Polynesian.

Aloha

Steve

MinnieM21
06-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Thank so much for responding everyone. I have never been to WDW and I have my heart set on staying at the Poly for my trip in December. I was just concerned because I say some complaints from people about problems with their rooms and it worried me just a bit. Thank you for making me feel better about everything! I can't wait until I get to go to WDW for the very first time and stay at the Poly! Thanks again Tikiman for the making such a wonderful site on the Poly, the resort looks absolutely beautiful!:)

Tikiman
06-11-2004, 12:13 PM
No problem Lindsey. I see you are a west coaster like me. Well I grew up going to Disneyland and when Epcot was opening I saw it on TV and just had to go. Well WDW was sort of small then but still seemed huge. I canít even imagine how it will look to you for the first time. You will just love being right across the water from the Magic Kingdom and traveling on the monorail from place to place. We are taking a friend for her first time and I canít wait to see how surprised she is of the size of the place.

Have a great time and if you remember send me an email when you get back and let me know what you thought when you saw the place for the first time.

Steves5150@yahoo.com

Aloha

Steve

Disney Fool
06-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Just adding my two cents: I have a severe allergy to mold, specifically aspergillis mold, that green-black stuff that climbs the walls. I stayed at the Poly this past February, and had no problem at all. Trust me, I can detect and smell mold before anyone else can (which is true with anyone with allergic reactions) and I never felt uncomfortable at the Poly (even in the lobby). I had a great stay there and would not hesitate to stay there again. I agree with Tikiman that the Poly gets some unfair bad raps. It's a beautiful resort; I have a special fondness for it for all the times I spent there with my mom who was handicapped. She's gone now, and those were hassle-free trips for us and I thank the Poly for those memories.