PDA

View Full Version : Not to miss at SW with a 3yo?

PaulaMurf
06-10-2004, 02:26 PM
We will be going to Sea World when we arrive in Orlando, straight from the airport! What are the not to miss attractions for my 3YR DS?

Also, what are the December hours?

TIA
Paula in CT

pirate:

vernon
06-12-2004, 07:13 AM
The Shamu, Clyde + Seymore and the Whale and Dolphin shows will all be fun. At that age it's probably worth taking the time for the Pets Ahoy show, it can be a little cutesy for some people, but smaller kids really seem to enjoy it. You can try to get him to feed the dolphins in the Key West Area ( but I think you'll need to do it for him) , We found that with youngsters you need one adult to feed the dolphins and another to hold the kids up so the can see whats going on. If you're on your own with him, then I've found either get next to someone with lots of fish so your child gets close to the action while they are feeding, or bribing a 10-12 year old with a tray of fish to feed the dolphin as long as they try to help him get some of the action is a workable plan. Usually, at 3, they are too slow to pet the dolphins, but it's pretty exciting for them anyway. Wild Arctic can be fun, particularly if the bears are active. SW has a great kiddies play area. Shamu's happy harbour. There are loads of bouncy castles, ball pits etc. There are some designated as only for the smaller kids ( so they don't get too roughed up if there are 9/10 y olds leaping about) there is also a water play area so it may be worth (subject to weather) taking a spare pair of shorts/swimsuit for him to put on, at that time of year you probably wouldn't want him in damp clothes for the rest of the day.

PaulaMurf
06-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Those all sound great! Is there anyway to get an idea of the times for the shows &/or how long they are? I cant seem to find it on the website.

Thanks again!

Paula in CT

pirate:

vernon
06-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Show times do tend to change so it's unlikely you'll get the correct ones now for December.

I notice you say you're going straight from the airport. It's usualy for SW to run a 2nd day free program on it's single day tickets. These have to be used up within 7 days, but unless you're arriving at opening time I think you'll struggle to get everything in. IMHO, if your schedule will allow, you may be better off looking to do just a half day on your arrival and returning later in the week for another half/three quarters day to cover anything you missed. SW is a pretty large and spread out park and a 3 year old may find it tiring after flying in. That way you could schedule a couple of shows, feed the dolphins , see the penguins ( always popular with kiddies (and me :jester: ) ) and some play time in the kiddies area for the first day and then the balance of the shows, feed the stingrays, see a few more of the exibits and some more playtime in the kiddies area on the second. By the way do look out for the "Tide pool" area just opposite the Tropical Reef area. It's only small, and easy to miss, but it gives kids a chance for some "hands on" with some seacreatures that they can pick up and handle ( or try to LOL) a few of the things in the pool. Again it's popular with the under 10 age group.

Shamu show lasts about 25-30 minutes,Clyde and Seymore 15-20 , Whale and Dolphin 15-20 , pets ahoy about 20 . For most shows I would suggest getting there at least 20 minutes before the show starts, they generally have some sort of entertainment before the show. Yours may be a little young, but kids seem to LOVE the mime artist at the start of the Clyde and Seymore show and he's great at setting the tone for the whole show. If you're late for this show you are fair game for him and there's a very good chance he will make you the topic of the jokes for everyone else to laugh at.

highlander447
06-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Do not miss the happy harbour play park its great:jester: