PDA

View Full Version : Just returned from GF - awesome!

sharonk
06-10-2004, 12:35 PM
We just returned from a 5 night stay at the GF and had a wonderful stay!

We faxed ahead and requested connecting rooms and a location close to both pools. We were given connecting rooms in Big Pine Key, which was perfect. We didn't request this, but were given a free upgrade to Lagoon View! The view was gorgeous....we overlooked the wedding pavilion and across the lake we could see the Polynesian.

The cast members were all wonderful...every last one. The bell hops and lifeguards were especially nice. After two days at the pool, the lifguards all knew my kids by name.

The grounds were gorgeous and everything seemed to be in good condition...no signs of wear and tear. The pool areas were stunning.

We only had 2 small complaints....the self parking lot was very, very far away and the pillows were absolutely horrible. I can't believe they charge people $300+ per night for a room and can't even give you a decent pillow! Other than that though, it was all great.

Please let me know if any questions!

Sharon

Ladyhawke10
06-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Sigh!!

I love hearing about GF, it is such an incredible hotel. I have never had a bad stay there....always just paradise.

I think the GF beds are the most comfortable on site, actually--I'm surprised to hear about the pillows. I thought the only other deluxe w/ a GF type bed was the Swan's heavenly bed--at least we had a stay where we started at GF and then switched to Swan and they seemed similar--the other deluxes had good beds but not like the heavenly beds GF has.

What a great view you had. I wish I had a GF trip coming up...oh well, I should plan one :)

Thanks for sharing about your stay
:wave:

jacksmom
06-10-2004, 01:54 PM
sharonk, Just a tip for your next trip to GF! If you call housekeeping and ask, they will be glad to bring you up some feather pillows! ;)

WDW LifeLong Fan
06-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Glad to hear you had a great stay at the GF! ::yes::

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

karemore
06-10-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm glad you had a wondeful stay!!

We had fantastic pillows in April when we stayed there. In fact, the beds were so comfortable, DH looked at the mattresses to see who made them.....all we could find were labels telling mousekeeping when to flip the mattress....lol

The self parking lot WAS far. But the alternative would be for some of the rooms to have to overlook parking...and I know it was much nicer not having to see parking lots from the grounds or the rooms.

DH made me walk with him to the parking lot a couple times.....and then I made him go alone and I waited in the lobby.

I noticed that the lifeguards played games with the kids who wanted to each day at the pool. I thought that was great. It gave the parents a chance to sit back and relax.

I love reading about other people's stay because it brings back my own memories.

Karen

sharonk
06-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion to ask for feather pillows...we'll definitely do that next time.

Our pillows were tiny, and they felt like chunks of wadded-up foam in a bag...not at all comfortable. We almost went to find a wal-mart so we could buy our own cheap pillows for our stay!

Ladyhawke10
06-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by sharonk
Thanks for the suggestion to ask for feather pillows...we'll definitely do that next time.

Our pillows were tiny, and they felt like chunks of wadded-up foam in a bag...not at all comfortable. We almost went to find a wal-mart so we could buy our own cheap pillows for our stay!

wow, I wonder if there was some kind of mistake with the pillows in your room. I've stayed at GF many times and have always had normal pillows--actually much more comfortable than average. This sounds like maybe the guests before you did a pillow swap and left behind some different ones! I don't know, but I'm sorry that happened and I'm sure you would have their normal pillows if you stayed again. That really is oddly unfortunate!! :(

phyllis1966
06-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Ah, the GF - our favorite WDW resort!! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and it's so refreshing to read a positive review of the GF. In the last year, I've read quite a few complaints regarding the GF, but we've honestly not had a single problem while there, either time. CM's were all friendly and helpful (esp. the waitstaff in the GF Cafe and 1900 PF), we didn't notice the "snobby" guests others have encountered, and to top it all off, our DD5, who was 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 years old the 2 times we stayed there, is in love with the place and wants to know when we'll be staying at "our" hotel again (soon, but not soon enough!). ;) ::yes::

I just Tivo'd and watched the GF on Great Hotels (for about the 4th time in the last year and a half), just because of the fond memories I have of it. I really enjoyed my stays at the YC and CR, but the GF will always be extra-special to my family and me!

Cris
06-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by sharonk

We only had 2 small complaints....the self parking lot was very, very far away and the pillows were absolutely horrible. I can't believe they charge people $300+ per night for a room and can't even give you a decent pillow! Other than that though, it was all great

Sharon

The pillow issue could have been resolved by calling housekeeping. And with the parking issue that is what valet parking is for.

sharonk
06-11-2004, 11:37 AM
Yes, now I know to call housekeeping if we get stuck with crappy pillows again.

As far as the valet parking goes, we've just nevet been fans of valet parking. I'm not really sure why...maybe it's the combination of the added expense and having to hand over your car keys and wait for your car everytime you leave. It wasn't really that big of a deal though.

As my original post said, our stay was awesome and neither of these things would keep us from staying there again. I was just trying to give an honest account of our feelings after our stay for others who might be considering the GF.

Sharon

JANIE G.
06-11-2004, 02:53 PM
My husband and I thought the mattresses at the Grand Floridian were excellent also. We did look to see what kind they were and ours had a tag on them. They were Simmons Beautyrest. They were ever so comfortable.

:)

hookedup
06-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Glad you had a nice stay at the GF - I have always loved our visits there and we have a hard time going to the parks and leaving the lovely resort! I always bring my own pillows so I have never noticed any problem with the ones they have. The GF is really special isn't it?

Snurk71
06-11-2004, 04:26 PM
You don't have to wait for your car if you call down from your room. By the time you walk to the valet stand, your car is already brought around. We always do this now. We got burned one morning a few years ago. They only had one or two valets working and we had to wait for 20 minutes (felt like it) for the car.

The valet actually prefers people to call down from the room so they can get a jump on things.

BCV23
06-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

We'll be there for 3 nights next month before moving to the Polynesian. Hope we have better luck with the pillows although we've had very comfortable mattresses and pillows there in the past. Same is true at the Polynesian. However, in March we moved from the Polynesian to BCV and there was a huge difference in comfort level....so much nicer at the Polynesian. Perhaps I should have called to see if at least we could get some pillows with some substance to them. If we drove, I would bring my own!::yes::