PDA

View Full Version : CR tacky or is it just me?

dismom3
06-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Forgive me in advance, but does anyone else out there feel like the CR is tacky? It seems so outdated. It doesn't seem luxurious at all. The pictures look so ugly. Anyone else?

ddank
06-10-2004, 08:32 AM
i think its one of the more tasteful, understated hotels on property actually.

cinmell
06-10-2004, 08:44 AM
I don't think it's tacky at all. I enjoy the resort and it's theme. I find the rooms to be very bright and roomy and it has a fun atmosphere. There's nothing like seeing the monorail zip thru your resort when you step out of your room or look above you when you are eating breakfast.

sotoalf
06-10-2004, 08:48 AM
The CR's design offends most aesthetic standards, yes. I teach at Florida Int'l University in Miami, a public university built around the same time as the CR, and its design mirrors the CR's acres of concrete, simple geometric shapes, and earth-tones. Both are pretty tacky. It's a 1970's vision of modernity. Several resorts on property, specifically the Boardwalk Inn and the GF, are much prettier.

Having said that, it's a great place to stay. No other resort, for better or worse, gives you the sense that you're staying in the middle of the action. you feel as if the CR is the capital city of WDW, like living in Austin or Albany; it's not the boldest or prettiest city, but it's the oldest and full of history.

The rooms are the biggest on property, the restaurants are outstanding, and no other resort offers quite as many recreation, transportation, and shopping options. The CR may not be my favorite, but due to nostalgia and all the other reasons I just stated I have a special affection for it.

Kimberle
06-10-2004, 09:01 AM
No, I don't. We love this resort. There is just something about it that takes us back to "Walt's Disney"........

Here are some pictures:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_contm.htm

But, it's perfectly OK if you don't like it! We all have different tastes. I personally do not like the Poly though many others love it. ;)

dismom3
06-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Thanks sotoalf. I totally agree with you. How are the rooms in the wings? Are they decorated the same as the tower rooms? Are they the same sq. footage? You probably don't get that same feeling as staying in the tower.

stinkerbelle
06-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by dismom3
Forgive me in advance, but does anyone else out there feel like the CR is tacky? It seems so outdated. It doesn't seem luxurious at all. The pictures look so ugly. Anyone else?

ITA..."Hello, 1980 called - they want their decor back"

but again - that's just my opinion...I love the rustic look of the AKL and WL much better.

it's all a matter of taste - there are enough resorts out there that vary enough to please almost all.

dismom3
06-10-2004, 09:07 AM
It's like concrete city - yuck!!!

sotoalf
06-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by dismom3
Thanks sotoalf. I totally agree with you. How are the rooms in the wings? Are they decorated the same as the tower rooms? Are they the same sq. footage? You probably don't get that same feeling as staying in the tower.

Both the wing and tower rooms are decorated exactly the same and are the same size. I've stayed in both, and both have their advantages. From the Tower, you're guaranteed an equally stunning view of the MK or Bay Lake; if you request a water view in the wings, you'll get one of the most tranquil views in all of WDW. You can see fog rolling over Bay Lake to your first-floor patio.

I'm staying at the CR in a couple of weeks and this is the room i requested. I think the tower rooms are overrated and too popular.

swilphil
06-10-2004, 09:38 AM
From the outside CR does look ugly and outdated, but I plan to stay there one day when my sons are older. They would love the monorail, and it's so much cheaper than the other MK resorts.

I used to think the the Swan/Dolphin was weird looking, but we're heading there for our second trip. When you're actually there, it all works together. If I had the money I would stay at the GF or the YC, but the teacher discount at the S/D makes it so much more attractive than any other deluxe.

Mymatisse
06-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by stinkerbelle
ITA..."Hello, 1980 called - they want their decor back"

ROTFLOL ::yes::

Disney Fool
06-10-2004, 10:02 AM
When they (whoever "they" are) remodeled CR, I didn't care for the bedspread, drapery and carpet patterns. I still think they could have picked something a little nicer. That said, the rooms are the biggest on property, and the actual hotel concept is great. I just don' t like the way the rooms look after the remodelling job. Ugh.

karemore
06-10-2004, 10:04 AM
I always found the CR extremely unappealing.

Having clicked on the link and looked at the photos of the rooms.....I have to upgrade my opinion to "God, that's ugly".

But everyone has different tastes.

I loved the GF, and our stay next time will be at POR, hopefully in a mansion building. That's just my taste.

DH wants to stay at the poly....that's what appeals to him. The beauty of Disney is there is something for almost everyone.

Karen

Buzz2001
06-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Forgive me in advance, but does anyone else out there feel like the CR is tacky? It seems so outdated. It doesn't seem luxurious at all. The pictures look so ugly. Anyone else? It does seem outdated. I'm not big on the concrete look

Eeyore2003
06-10-2004, 10:17 AM
The views are spectacular, the whoosh of the monorail, the activity, convenience of nice resturants, a couple nice stores at your fingertips, the largest rooms and gameroom on property, bright cheery room decor, the snack shop right downstairs for the refillable drinks, a 'coffee counter" with iced coffees and lattes, right by the elevator, convenient parking, the pool conveniently out the back door, and the easiest quickest access to MK and Epcot you could want.

Aesthetically gorgeous, it is not. AKL, BI or WL, it is not. A wonderful place to stay with a growing busy family??? That it is!!! Nothing like grabbing a nice latte, going to your room, and relaxing on the deck enjoying the view, while your kids can play in the gameroom, or go to the pool (age permitting), get their own drinks, all within the confines of the resort.

The resort is not long and sprawling, so kids can find their way around pretty easily. And when you want get going again with everyone in tow, the mono-rail is less than a minute away. On the otherside of that, when you get back from a day at the park and your really dragging, your room is less than a minute away!!!

They all have thier plusses and minusses. Different strokes for different folks. When we (DH and myself) stayed at the BI the thing we missed most were all the conveniences right inside the resort and at your fingertips. If you wanted anything at all, you had to go down to the Boardwalk. BUT, we loved the REALLY easy access to EPCOT. With a growing family though, I would pick CR hands down.

catheren
06-10-2004, 10:25 AM
The CR was suppose to represent what WDW thought the future would look like-- contrete and the monorail traveling into hotel.

The resort has many advantages. Its location to the MK. There are some beautiful views from this resort. Great restaurants and shops. Since its one of the original WDW resorts -- the rooms are large.

If you think about where the CR is located --- very close to space mountain and the much needed update of tommorrowland.

pumpkinboy
06-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Dontcha just love the "Giant Toaster" look of it? I hear tell that Elvis is actually alive and well and working on the grounds crew (a very senior member, with somewhat limited mobility of course) at the Comtemporary ;)

Uncle Albert
06-10-2004, 10:32 AM
I can see how some might think its ugly and tacky. I can see how some can see that it is even beautiful. I love the way it looks. Not because of its visual appeal but because what it represents. Being right in the middle of a great vacation destnation. I've been conditioned over the years to see it and get goose bumps and a lump in the throat. That would happen no matter how it looked through the years. I love it.

Uncle Albert

wannabee princess
06-10-2004, 10:48 AM
I think CR is very interesting looking and the extras make it very appealing to me. I think staying at the concierge leve,l in particular, seems wonderful! If you don't like the bright tones of the other levels, that is much calmer. I'm sitting here wondering how soon I can stay there!

liznboys
06-10-2004, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't want to stay there, but I like it because it's a WDW icon!! ::yes::

BoyLovesBuzz
06-10-2004, 11:16 AM
I have never stayed there, but I think its cool. I am fascinated by the fact I have lived through a period when this resort was considered "modern" and now it probably could be termed "retro". The decor is what PC should have been.

dismom3
06-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Wow - it looks like I opened a big can of worms!

BambiTamby
06-10-2004, 11:28 AM
LOL, stinkerbelle!

to be honest, I thought the same as alot of you all, but after staying there two months ago...and keep in mind I LOVE the AKL, Poly, YC, etc....

there's something very special about this place!

Our room was HUGE and had a really neat "Jetson-ish" decor!
Bathroom was also very large and had plenty of room and privacy.

This is a Walt Disney original....and he had the CR placed exactely where it is as a backdrop for tomorrowland.

We received wonderful CM service, clean room, great food, and the excitement of the monorail all in one place!

I'm looking forward to returning to the CR and hopefully experiencing the 14th floor!

:wave:

ead79
06-10-2004, 12:02 PM
I used to feel the exact same way as you about the CR being tacky, but my opinion has changed quite a bit. I have still never stayed there, but as I have spent more time dining at, shopping at, and just walking around the CR, it has grown on me. It really does have a "right in the middle of the magic" feeling that is just wonderful. Plus, I love eating breakfast at Concourse Steakhouse with the monorail whishing by overhead. Some areas of the resort definitely have that 70's feel to them (like the mural in the Grand Canyon Concourse), but some seem more "modern contemporary" like the check-in area. The room decor is definitely bright, but the pictures I have seen make it look like a fun place to stay. So, I have gone from being someone who thought she would never want to stay there to being someone with the CR on her list of things to try very soon. I typically prefer the decor of resorts like the GF, AKL, and YC, but the CR has grown on me for sure. :)

CSX2
06-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Although it is not a Disney resort, the rooms at SOG are larger than the CR (at least the original section). We've stayed at both and liked both for different reasons.

sotoalf
06-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by CSX2
Although it is not a Disney resort, the rooms at SOG are larger than the CR (at least the original section). We've stayed at both and liked both for different reasons.

That's true...but don't give me one more reason to miss the Disney Inn!

Frances999
06-10-2004, 01:38 PM
I agree. It looks awful to me and to be honest I don't like the inside either - too 'convention' looking LOL. Love the 'Giant Toaster' quote ;)

Originally posted by Disney Fool
When they (whoever "they" are) remodeled CR, I didn't care for the bedspread, drapery and carpet patterns. I still think they could have picked something a little nicer. That said, the rooms are the biggest on property, and the actual hotel concept is great. I just don' t like the way the rooms look after the remodelling job. Ugh. Actually, rooms at the Polynesian are the largest on Disney property.

:wave:

sotoalf
06-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Frances999
Actually, rooms at the Polynesian are the largest on Disney property.

According to a Disney floor plan I've got here, the CR's standard rooms are 436 ft. The Polynesian's are 409. Both, however, are bigger than rooms at the other deluxes.

ccotis
06-10-2004, 02:15 PM
The CR is awsome. We have been going there since it opened. We used to think that the CR was WDW! It has the best arcade, best restaurants, best shops, best water activities, best views, best transportation options, ect. In my opinion, it is the best resort on the property.

Aisling
06-10-2004, 03:05 PM
I think the CR is beautiful.

After staying at heavily themed resorts, I love the simplicity and the sleekness of CR. At night, it's especially beautiful, with all it's lights reflecting off the lake.

I just can't see it as a toaster, that image doesn't come into my mind at all about the CR. It looks nothing like a toaster to me. Maybe I'm looking through Judy Jetson's eyes, but I do see it as a "contemporary" resort, futuristic and cool.

And of course it's history is so appealing to me. This was Walt's baby.

Chrissyb8885
06-10-2004, 03:56 PM
We just stayed there for the first time in may and i have to admit it was better than i thought! After looking at the pics of the room decor online i was really worried i wouldnt be able to relax in the sea of bright colors and patterns, but its really not bad at all. The thing i was dissapointed in was the overall "theming" of the resort... it seemed sort of non-existant! Thats what i love about the poly, you walk in and suddenly your in a different world! Having said all that i would probably stay there again in the future but its definately not my fav resort!!! just my 2 cents

-Chrissy

palmtreegirl
06-10-2004, 04:06 PM
I think it's cheezy fun fantastic! :upsidedow

dismom3
06-10-2004, 06:07 PM
hahahahahaahah..........."the toaster hotel!"......hahahah

tbthomps
06-10-2004, 06:22 PM
When they (whoever "they" are) remodeled CR, I didn't care for the bedspread, drapery and carpet patterns.

Just curious, how long ago was the CR remodeled??

hookedup
06-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Tacky?

No, I don't consider it tacky.

Unique, unusual, interesting, amazing...those are the words I consider it.

Since I first set eyes on this hotel when I was 8 years old (in 1975) I have thought it was unbelievable. A hotel where the monorail went through the middle - I thought I had died and gone to heaven! LOL! ;)

crazy_for_the_dis
06-10-2004, 06:42 PM
The contemporary will always be my fav since it was the only on-site resort I stayed at as a child! Many people feel that it is not themed, and that other resorts take you away to another place, but I look at it this way, I am at another place, I'm at Disney! And no other hotel screams Disney than the CR. If I wanted a beach, island, or lodge resort, I'd actually go to the beach, Hawaii; or camping (heck and save some money too)!

That being said, I will be at the Poly in 10 days, since I let my daughter pick out our hotel, but if it was up to me, it would be CR all the way! Maybe my opinion will be different when I get back.

;)

BambiTamby
06-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Yep, it's so tacky that I'm jumping for joy....

because I FINALLY scored a room on the 14th floor!!!!!:bounce:

Can't wait for January! :tongue:

dismom3
06-10-2004, 07:30 PM
I hope you guys all have a great time! I can't wait until we go in July (not to the CR)!

susy
06-10-2004, 07:49 PM
I agree with the little girl who asked, "Is this the airport?"

dismom3
06-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Oh my God, I can't stop laughing - "Is this the airport?" That is so funny.

ellenmiele
06-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Actually, I have always thought just that same thing! And then during our last WDW trip (at WL) while taking the boat over to Chef Mickey's for breakfast, our kids asked couldn't we PLEEEASE stay at CR the next time. So.... April '05 looks like we'll be staying at CR -- but after really taking a good look at it (pictures on line, room rates, etc.) I'd have to say I'm really looking forward to it !

Planogirl
06-10-2004, 10:25 PM
I like the CR. I think it has a cool retro look and I like some retro stuff. The room decor is kind of odd to me but I could live with it.

I used to think that the GF was pretty until I saw the original it was modeled after. Now it just seems like a cheap knockoff to me. But just like the CR, to each their own.

beastlyprince
06-10-2004, 11:12 PM
When they (whoever "they" are) remodeled CR, I didn't care for the bedspread, drapery and carpet patterns. I still think they could have picked something a little nicer. That said, the rooms are the biggest on property, and the actual hotel concept is great. I just don' t like the way the rooms look after the remodelling job. Ugh.

Any don't forget about the ugly table top. Yuck.

BambiTamby
06-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by beastlyprince
Any don't forget about the ugly table top. Yuck.

What ugly table top?

Did I miss something?:confused:

freediverdude
06-10-2004, 11:26 PM
I agree with **********, once you get inside the resort and actually stay there, there is something special about it- Disney magic really resides here. The room furniture itself I don't think looks dated, it's pretty modern futuristic. Some of the elements in the main concourse give clues to it's 70s beginnings though, like the curved overhead lampposts outside the shops. But the checkin area is very modern. The health club even has motion-activated lighting, where as you enter each section of the locker room, the lights automatically come on in that area. I don't think many things about this resort seem outdated or shabby looking- they've done a very good job of keeping things updated and looking fresh. There are some structural elements that say "70s", that would be very difficult for them to change, but they've done a good job of trying to keep the room decor and restaurant decor from becoming dated. And there's just so many little touches that just seem to make the Contemporary the quintessential Disney resort- the characters talking to you in the elevators, the Mickey sculpture that changes colors, the statue that greets you as you enter the checkin area, the tables of napkin-wavers at Chef Mickeys for everyone on every floor to see and hear, and of course the monorail whizzing by inside the building. And there IS a theme to this resort- and no, it's not Polynesian-themed, or beach resort themed, or lodge themed, or even Victorian themed. It's DISNEY themed.

DonaldsGrl103
06-11-2004, 01:32 AM
I Just LOVE The Contemporary and cant say enough nice things about it!! Its like being in the middle of Disney Magic and its non stop action from the moment you check in till check out!:bounce:

my3kids
06-11-2004, 06:11 AM
While trying to decide where to stay for trip this winter I investigated the Contemporary. Lst time we were there, I was surprised how much I did like the lobby and public areas. But, when I looked at photos of the interiors, I decided i just couldn't stay there. The colors and patterns were just oo much for me.

Now that I've reserved AKL concierge, I read this morning that the Contemporary has the best concierge. Oh well.....:(

stinkerbelle
06-11-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by my3kids
Now that I've reserved AKL concierge, I read this morning that the Contemporary has the best concierge. Oh well.....:(

what one person says is the 'best' is the 'worst' to someone else.

You will enjoy AKL concierge - TRUST me! Try to book the Sunrise (and Sunset if you can swing it) Both are wonderful experiences! :)

Gaiusrex
06-11-2004, 08:42 AM
I've stayed there in the 70s, 80s, and I'll be back there this year. This will be my first stay as a "grown-up". freediverdude said it right: it's Disney themed. Kids love it. I loved it when I was a kid, and I know my kids are gonna love it too. Maybe some of you are just a little to old and crusty to get it. :jester:

The decor is fun. It represents a period of architectural style (I forget the guy's name, but I know he was french.)

beattyfamily
06-11-2004, 10:07 AM
No, it's not the most georgious resort Disney has but it's, IMHO the heart of Disney. It's Walt's baby. It's the original.

I love the location and the hustle and bustle of it. I love how the monorail goes right through it. I love that's its the only resort you can walk to MK from.

I LOVE CR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No matter how sterile or concrete or airport or toastery it looks, it's one of my top 2 resorts at Disney World (the other being GF)!!!::yes::

BambiTamby
06-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by my3kids
While trying to decide where to stay for trip this winter I investigated the Contemporary. Lst time we were there, I was surprised how much I did like the lobby and public areas. But, when I looked at photos of the interiors, I decided i just couldn't stay there. The colors and patterns were just oo much for me.

Hah! so far....AKL CL is the BEST CONCIERGE in my book!

Stinkerbelle is right!

don't worry about your choice...you'll have a wonderful time at the AKL CL!

Their IPO is the BEST!:wave:

Tikiman
06-11-2004, 11:29 AM
I thought I was going to avoid this discussion but I got sucked in with the “largest room” comments.

From what I saw somewhere the rooms in the tower of the Contemporary were the largest but only slightly larger that the largest standard room at the Polynesian. I don’t know the number for the Contemporary but the Polynesian rooms are 402 sq ft on the original construction and 452 sq ft on the newer construction. I got copies of the original floor plans drawn up during construction that give the room measurements. I don’t know the exact number of the Contemporary room. I just read it somewhere before.

my3kids
06-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks to those who have reassured on AKL.

JayCT
06-11-2004, 11:52 AM
We just stayed at CR a month ago and to answer the original question, I would not say that it is tacky. It is just not the "Current" style of buildings built and isn't old enough to have reached its "historic" age yet.

This is common with all buildings. Between the age of 20 and 50 years, buildings are looked at as "outdated". Then at some point after 50 years people realize that the building is really a great old building. That is why some really great buildings have been torn down over the years.

The greatest example is probably the original Penn Station in New York City. It was torn down in the early 60's because it was outdated. Looking at the old photos it is hard to imagine that anyone would have thought that, but they did. Tearing down that building really started the historic preservation movement in this country.

The CR will someday be in the same category. It is a great building with an interesting and fun decor. A little brutal in its design with all that concrete, but that represents the era of the building. I think that someday it will be redone in a very modern "60's" decor and be loved for it.

Chicago526
06-11-2004, 12:34 PM
Tacky in the sense that I'd never decorate my home that way? Yes.

But...

The monorail goes THROUGH the hotel! The elevator talks to you!

That's just cool, no matter what your age!

And really, how much time do most of us actually spend in our rooms? Not that much. Even if you don't go to a park, you're down at the pool, or renting a water mouse, or doing some other activity. So for the 1 or 2 hours a day that you have your eyes open in the room, what differance does the color of the bedspread make, anyway?

I like it because it's differant. Again, it's not what I would have chosen, but it seems to work, somehow! I can't wait for my trip in December!

Kae
06-11-2004, 12:55 PM
I stayed there in Dec 1971, I do not remember much but I want to stay there again. My grandfather just thought it was cool. We do seem to spend alot of time at CR when we are at WDW. Chef Mickey's, CG, Great shopping, and when we stayed at WL I took the boat over in the morning for coffee then went to were ever we were going.

Kae

sotoalf
06-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Kae
I stayed there in Dec 1971, I do not remember much but I want to stay there again. My grandfather just thought it was cool. We do seem to spend alot of time at CR when we are at WDW. Chef Mickey's, CG, Great shopping, and when we stayed at WL I took the boat over in the morning for coffee then went to were ever we were going. Kae

I completely agree. The CR has the best resort shopping. Visiting as a child in the '70s the CR always seemed like the center of the WDW universe.

Jen D
06-11-2004, 01:59 PM
The CR will someday be in the same category. It is a great building with an interesting and fun decor. A little brutal in its design with all that concrete, but that represents the era of the building. I think that someday it will be redone in a very modern "60's" decor and be loved for it.

Agreed JayCT. I think the Contemporary is a great piece of architecture-- cool, sleek-- really iconic. It really takes my breath away when I see it from afar, or from the Astro Orbiter. Yes, it is of its time, but I think it is a very special place.

I've never stayed there, but we always eat meals here and I would love to stay there someday.

To me, the resorts that are really in danger of looking dated are the ones that look a little like bland upscale apartment complexes. There have been a few of these built in the last few years.

iloveeeyore
06-11-2004, 02:37 PM
I'm a little emarassed I had to look up "tacky" to adequately respond to this post.:blush:

CR is shabby or dowdy in appearance? Nope! I'd call it...retro.

I LOVE CR, and though I haven't stayed there in many years (so I can't comment on the rooms), I actually think the lobby and grounds are sort of upscale in an understated sort of way. And I still like the old-fashioned vision of the future, which is sort of stylish once again...so, "retro." Can't beat those gorgeous views from the tower, all of MK AND Spaceship Earth!