PDA

View Full Version : Which credit cards accepted on Magic?

MommaluvsDis
05-26-2004, 09:28 AM
My friend who is sailing with us wants to know which card she can use on both the ship and in Cozumel. She has Discover, Mastercard and Visa. Which do you suggest?

Thanks

ohioMickey
05-26-2004, 09:44 AM
When you check in at the port, you give them a credit card for your account. I know they accept Mastercard and Visa. Not sure about Discover. Once you have done that, you charge everything on the ship to your Key To The World Card (also your stateroom key). I think you can use your credit card in the two gift shops on the ship. Not sure about pin booths, drinks, bingo cards. It's just so much easier to put it on my KTTWC and then let it roll onto my Disney Visa.

In terms of cozumel, i didn't buy anything using a credit card, but I remember seeing signs for Mastercard and Visa. Our tour guide for Tulum told us they took credit cards at the roadside trinket stand we visited. I am not sure about Discover. Maybe others here know.

Keep in mind, prices in Cozumel will be in Pesos and everyone seems to use different conversion rates so it gets a bit confusing.

Hope that helps.

DMS_cruisers04
05-26-2004, 10:22 AM
The brochure states that you may use "Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card, Diners Club, Japanese Credit Bureau or Disney's Visa Credit Card."

Cozumel, just like stores in the states, will vary from store to store as to what they will accept. We've used our Discover before, but have also had to use either a different card or cash depending on where we were shopping. If your friend only wants to carry one card along, I suggest a Visa or MasterCard. They are more widely accepted because the % fee the retailer has to pay is lower.

Hope this helps.

jgalecpa
05-26-2004, 02:36 PM
We used discover, which I would recommend.

Due to the 1% cash back, we got $20 back for our ship charges. (You do the math!).

HOWEVER, if you carry forward a balance on a credit card, finance charges will eat up any cash back, freq. flyer miles, etc.

If you do, go with the card with the lowest rate.

Jim