PDA

View Full Version : Take DD ( 1 1/2 yrs) or not?

jmatias
05-23-2004, 03:31 PM
All five of us...DH, Me DS (8), DS (6) and DD (1) are booked in two cat. 9 cabins for the Magic West Coast Cruise next June.

My friends are joining us and decided to not take their infant twin girls and just take their DD (5).

When I booked the cruise the thought never occured to me to not take DD. Now...I'm wondering what to do. This is our first family Disney cruise. I know DD won't remember anything about the cruise but I'm sure we'll have tons of great pictures.

What to do???

Pros:

1. Save $$$$...only need 1 cabin
2. Able to do more things since DSs are older

Cons:

1. Would miss DD terribly.

Anyone else have this dilemna? What would you do?

TiggerzFan
05-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Jen-
We took DD on the Wonder last November - she was 21 months - and we had a great time. We don't have older kids so it's not quite the same situation. BUT, she had a great time, especially on Castaway, and she enjoyed the characters... from a distance. She did well in Flounder's Nursery, too, despite being a very clingy kid. The servers are fabulous with the little ones, too.
Good Luck... my vote says take her!
Donna

gassmandy
05-23-2004, 05:06 PM
I took my DD at 7 months (same situation as poster above--no other kids) and we are taking her next Aug. on the 14 day cruise back to Florida (she'll be 28 months old then). While we could do so many things w/out her there--I wouldn't think of not bringing her---I'd miss her sooooo much. Plus--I like family vacations to be that--me and my family!! But--I can totally understand it when people opt not to bring their kids under 3--as space in Flounder's is limited. Good luck w/ your decision!!

Lisa loves Pooh
05-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I say take her--

people thought we were strange for taking DD3.5 and DD1.5 to Europe. The older remembers smatterings of things--particularly Paris since that is what I liked--17 month old--doesn't remember diddly squat...but she did like certain aspects of the trip and we have those wonderful pictures. Additionally we had NO Access to babysitting. It would have been wonderful for my first visit to Paris to be sans children--but I do not believe in long vacations away from the family--my mother did that and she's been married 5 times, so the quality time didn't do to much. Don't get me wrong--I'm pro weekend getaways without the kids--but 1 week away in a foreign land with I'm guessing a minimum 5 hour flight--I couldn't do it.

Additionally--the money you spend on Flounder's--keep in mind you only are paying port charges to get your DD on board--so spending $24 per day for 4 hour time slots---still is less than what it will cost to fly her to Fla and do a cruise out here when she is over the age of 3. (but reviewing your post again--I see you would save by not getting a 2nd cabin--I guess that means one or both of your children is being paid as a 2nd passenger vs. 3rd passenger child rate).

There is someone else around these threads--wife is pregnant with twins and they are taking the repo cruise, with the new babies---too bad I cannot remember him--but if I see where he posts, I'll pass it along to you.

Lisa loves Pooh
05-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Howdy Gassmandy!

We're in Indialantic--nice to meet you!

CamColt
05-23-2004, 06:39 PM
I could never take 1 kid and not the other. However, I could go without either of my kids and not feel guilty, LOL!
We did the land sea package our 3 1/2 yo and 8 month old. The thought of the baby not coming along never even entered my mind.
I have heard that people do do this, and I dont really think its a bad thing, but for me, there is no way I could do it. :D

jmatias
05-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Lisa loves Pooh
I say take her--

--but 1 week away in a foreign land with I'm guessing a minimum 5 hour flight--I couldn't do it.

The time away is what bothers me especially since we are hoping to spend a couple days at DL after the cruise...but I never thought of the West Coast as "foreign land" ;)

(but reviewing your post again--I see you would save by not getting a 2nd cabin--I guess that means one or both of your children is being paid as a 2nd passenger vs. 3rd passenger child rate).

Yes, we would save because of needing 1 less cabin...the savings is appx. $1500

Thanks for the replies.

Lisa loves Pooh
05-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Sorry jmatias --

I was referring to Mexico as the Foreign land and not California. The 5-hour flight--I wouldn'd do in general to go someplace without kids as that would be a HUGE distance. I should have said that in a separate statement.

I am not lucky enough to have relatives who would watch my children for so long willingly--I had a tough time having my MIL to stay at my house with DD2 (at the time) while I delivered my other DD. We arrived 7am on Monday and spent almost 19 hours in the hospital delivering making her not eligble to go home until Thursday a.m...she wasn't happy she couldn't go home as planned when they didn't release her until 5pm--we didn't get home until 6:30pm when all was said and done. So MIL couldn't go home on Wednesday as she planned. Good grief--we were only 10 minutes away--where is the love?

TOUGH CALL--but are you rethinking due to finances or due to time away from her or that your friend is not bringing the twins?

Anyway sorry for the details--if you have an awesome support system to care for you daughter--and you save $1500 bucks and since friends twins are not going--then you should feel comfy with your decision to have her stay home if that is what you choose. You are her mom and knows what is best for optimum family safety and enjoyment. Nothing we say on the boards can change that.

I would suggest doing some trial runs before removing her from the ressie (you have until 60 days prior I believe)...that way you can be assured of your decision and she becomes comfortable with whom she is staying.

OJulie67
05-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Funny you ask...Just had the same dilemma. Our youngest is 10 months. We had her booked until 2 weeks before we left...even had her docs, but at the last minute we decided to leave her home with auntie. We missed her, but we knew she was safe and happy in her own bed, and after we got there, we soon realized we had made the right decision. Our vacation was fun and relaxing and our 5 year old really enjoyed the one on one mom and dad time again!!!
I would not change a thing. Mainly because I know there isn't much for an infant to do on board. We saw many parents struggling at dinner and at shows with babies. DH and I looked at eachother several times and smiled!
If you have a baby that is happy go lucky and deals with change...then take him. However, if you have a busy baby, who loves his/her own crib and routine, then taking the baby may do more harm then good. Not to mention all the "STUFF" required to take a baby. It was purely a selfish decision, but we never looked back...and baby girl was happy and healthy with her favorite aunt!
One other point...if your older kids, and your friends older kids will be spending alot of time in the clubs...it may be ALOT more enjoyable for you and your DH and your friends to go without the little one. Sometimes, as parents, we have to make selfish, but wise decisions. I for one am a much better and relaxed Mom after getting that break!!
Whatever you decide...good luck!

jmatias
05-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Lisa: After I posted my reply I realized you were referring to the Mexican ports as the foreign land and not California....:p Its just too funny because I cannot tell you how many times people think Hawaii is a foreign land!

The main reason we are re-thinking about DD going is purely from the enjoyment aspect. I know DD will have a great time but I also realize that having a baby limits what you can do. I remember on our 10th anniversary cruise ( pre-baby) seeing parents strolling their children through the halls trying to get baby to sleep....at that time I thought....I would never take a baby on a cruise.

Well, the West Coast cruise came along and I forgot all about those "strolling parents" and booked our family. We are very lucky that finance isn't a problem.

OJulie67: you made several very good points.

Thanks again for the replies!

debm
05-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Our lucky boy is not quite 2 and has been on 3 cruises. Would it have been easier if he was older? Possibly. But I can't imagine the trip without him. After all, he is our son too. And all the cute pictures we have with him on the ship. He just adores Mickey and all the characters. I couldn't fathom explaining to him when he was older why there were just pictures of his older siblings and not him on a "family" vacation. Take your child Don't get caught up in the reasons that the other family is NOT taking their children. You won't regret going as a family. Have fun!!!!