PDA

View Full Version : What shouldn't we miss doing on our first cruise (4 day)?

Jillpie
05-21-2004, 10:39 PM
I'd love to know the things you wished you had done on your very first cruise, but didn't because you ran out out of time or whatever the reason. What did you regret when you got home that you should have done? thanks.

ohiominnie
05-21-2004, 10:41 PM
The most important thing to do on your cruise is rebook another cruise. ;)

bostonlass
05-21-2004, 10:43 PM
I regretted:

1) Going on excursion to Atlantis. It was a lot of walking and I'd much rather have stayed on the ship and enjoyed the pool with less people onboard.

2) Not relaxing enough. I think I was so worried about missing things that I packed a bit too much into 4 days. Next time I would just relax more and not worry so much. Then again, I've done most there is to do now so I guess that's the catch.

No matter what you'll have a blast!

jlmarr
05-22-2004, 02:10 AM
Things I will do next time:

- Order early morning wakeup coffee via room service every day.

- Skip breakfast on CC day so as to be able to indulge at Cookie's BBQ. ;)

- Relax at Serenity Bay :smooth:

Jillpie
05-22-2004, 09:11 AM
thanks guys! Anymore?

RobinMarie
05-22-2004, 09:20 AM
I was determined not to do on the 7 day cruise to do what I tend to do on Disney land vacations - commando tour!

With that in mind, I read a couple of good books while on deck four in a comfy chair!:cloud9:

belleandthebeast
05-22-2004, 11:37 AM
I am so happy I read this post! I was trying to decide whether to stay on the ship or get off at Nassau-

we were also planning on doing the Atlantis walking tour.
We won't be doing that now.

fknaut
05-22-2004, 12:10 PM
If you have kids that like to see large aquariums, it may be worth it from what we have been told by others. Take the sea taxi there and a regular taxi back.

4407mark
05-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Just a few suggestions:

1) Relax - it is supposed to be a vacation. Just like at WDW - you won't be able to do everything the first time (plus you need a reason to book another cruise as suggested by others).

2) We did not get off in Nassau on the first one except for some quick pics of the ship, we did get off in Nassau on the second cruise. If you like to shop and are looking for nice jewelry, probably worth getting off the ship. Otherwise, next time, we'll stay on board - enjoyed that a lot the first time.

3) Highly recommend cabana massage on Castway Cay - either by yourself or couples. Also highly recommend some time in a hammock there if you can - with the required Konk Kooler in hand of course.

4) Dinner at Animator's Palette - don't skip this night particularly if you have kids.

5) Shows in the Walt Disney Theatre - 'nuf said

6) Relax with a stroll around the deck - did this on the second cruise and saw all sorts of things I never saw the first time.

Enjoy!

Princess49
05-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Ok here are our regrets & roccommendations!!

Order cookies & milk from room service everynight!! We did this on the last night & wished we had done it every night! (we are 2 adults!!!)

don't bother getting off in Nassau- I wish we had stayed on the ship- the shopping wasn't as great as they said it would be.

drag a beach chair into the carribean & LAY there on CC!!! It was AMAZING!!

Don't get too involved with your seating mates at dinner the night of Animators Palate- I feel we missed out a bit for trying to keep up with conversation.

Palo is a MUST, get the chocolate souffle!!

See the shows! They are great!

Check out the gift shop before you shop in Nassau, we found some better prices on the ship!

Relax, Rebook, & don't worry about what you missed you'll be going back soon!:D

ivanova
05-22-2004, 01:26 PM
My BIG regret: not rebooking while onboard :(

We thought we'd never cruise DCL again (cuz hubby is sick to death of WDW, and FL is a $$$ airplane ride from CA), so we didn't rebook.

Tha was last Nov. Well, gee, guess what?? We're now booked on a 4 night this Nov, and the 14 night repo cruise Aug 2005 ... if we'd at least rebooked the Nov 2004 cruise when we were onboard we would've been better off :rolleyes:

So yeah, I might not know WHEN we'll sail DCL again, but I'm rebooking onboard this time!!!!!!

Nick@ VB+OKW
05-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Enjoy the ship and don't get off at Nassau. We did NOT get off the Wonder except at CC.http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/fingers/fing32.gif
P.S. Make sure you order Mickey ice cream bars from room service.We did every night.

Coach
05-22-2004, 03:06 PM
My DW and I have to agree with bostonlass. We wish we had stayed on board ship and spent more relaxing time together. Thankfully we will be cruising the Wonder this October and we will not be rushing around like our first 2 cruises. We’re just going to relax and enjoy the magical Disney Wonder.

Jillpie
05-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks again everyone!

What's a konk cooler??

To the ones that are suggesting to stay on the ship at Nassau. We have never been to the Caribbean before...will it feel weird to be AT the Caribbean and not step off the ship, just for CC? I mean, with the 7 day, you get to stop at other islands. With the 4 day, its only Nassau and CC. So will we be missing out being stuck on the ship the whole time? I really have no clue here. I guess I'm thinking we're having a whole day at sea the day after CC...will we get sick of just staying on board? Thanks.

Jillpie
05-22-2004, 11:05 PM
bump

Princess49
05-22-2004, 11:22 PM
We got off in Nassau. We didn't do a shore excursion as we're not into a lot of that stuff. We don't really do tours either so shore excursions weren't for us. About the only thing we would have thought about was a beach- but you get that on CC- & it's SO much better!! It's only used 3x a week & cleaned thouroghly after we leave it- there are ONLY DCL people there! It's so perfect! We regret not spending more time on the ship! We did the shopping in Nassau & it wasn't great- people were really pushy- & that's coming from a NYer. The prices weren't as great as we thought they would be either. & we actually found better prices for some things on the ship! So watch out! Stay on the ship- YOU'LL LOVE IT!! Plus, it will be less crowded that day because a lot of people do get off!! Have fun!!

Jillpie
05-22-2004, 11:48 PM
ok thanks! It sounds like the consensus is to stay on the ship that day. Thats fine with me. Ever since I mentioned to my DH about your view of Atlantis while at Palo, he loved that idea. I do have a question...on the Wonder, can we book Palo for lunch instead? shoot, I can't remember if yours was lunch or dinner? doh! I kind of want to stay with the kids for dinner each night, so lunch would be nice.

sklimuck
05-23-2004, 02:58 AM
We're going on our 1st 4 day Wonder cruise in about 2 weeks. We're getting off in Nassau and we're going to do everything we can do - because we can relax when we're dead. Got too much to see and do in this big world to sit anything out. We're spending 6 days in WDW and then 4 onboard and then 3 more in Cocoa Beach. I'll relax on the plane home- maybe- unless there is something interesting going on to do or see!!

Princess49
05-23-2004, 12:30 PM
We NEVER relax- even when we are in WDW for 2 weeks we still wake up early to do everything we've already done a million times! I felt the same way about the cruise- I wanted to do everything. But after laying on the beach in CC- thats all I need. I can't do THAT when I'm dead!!! Had I been impressed with anything in Nassau maybe I'd feel different. But hey, you don't have to relax onboard there is SOOOOO much to do- that you've ALREADY paid for! I'm not sure about Palo lunch on the Wonder- we did dinner- at 8:30, it was dark & the Altantis was all lit up like a castle! It was a nice view of atlantis during the day too though! Have a great time!!

wdwmom2
05-23-2004, 02:06 PM
A Conk Cooler is a wonderful mixed drink that they serve at CC. Sorry, I don't know what is in it but it is wonderful.

This past April was our first cruise ever, and I am glad to have gotten off and explored Nassau, but only just to say that I have been there. Next time I will definately stay on the ship and enjoy all the things onboard.

Also, if you want to cruise DCL again in the near future, book onboard and get the incentives.

Sharon

TheWog
05-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Konk Kooler is a great drink. You have to try it. Also try the Coconut Java. Very good.

Go to the sail away party, try not to do everything, you can't in one trip, and just relax. Go to Palo's. Wake up early and watch the sunrise from your Verandah (and have your DW make fun of you for having almost 1/2 hour of video of it...wait that's me).

Animator's Palate. We should have gone to the Golden Mickey's. Enjoy the ship.

copper0426
05-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Don't miss the chance to do anything. Who knows when you won't be around to do it. I guess what I'm saying is what if there is no second time around. At least get off the boat to say I've been in the bahamas.

As far a Palo goes Chocolate Souffle is the best.

Enjoy a dinner just the two of you.

My husband and I went in April 2003 just the two of us for our anniversary. On the three day cruise. Left son at home with my mom. Wanted to check it out before we brought him.

In April 2004 went and brought our son, both our mother's and two uncles. This way our son had an option of staying with family while we were at Palo. Well as soon as we were on board my husband took our son to the Oceaners club. He loved it and couldn't wait to go back. Some of the time he opted to go to the club or the lab instead of eating with us. Now this was a total surprising for us as he is very shy. Cast member at the club were calling him the local. I actually felt a little sad about it, but it was his cruise too. We did do alot of family things together. So your kids my enjoy the little freedom too. Our son is 7. He had a blast. Especially at the show that the kids put on at the end of the cruise.

Sorry it went so long. Just excited about our newest disney attraction...... Cruising.

Diane

Nick@ VB+OKW
05-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by sklimuck
We're getting off in Nassau and we're going to do everything we can do - because we can relax when we're dead.

http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/violent/sterb096.gif

Empire Day
05-23-2004, 04:38 PM
DW says:
next trip #1. is a massage(we were running around trying to do things and she never made it)
#2. the wine tasting
I regret not doing even one excursion, although we did have a great trip and I felt we really got to relax and enjoy ourselves, we had table mates that were always worn out from all the excursions they had to get to each day
#2. snorkeling at CC

EmmasGrammy
05-23-2004, 07:53 PM
If you don't mind, I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

We went on our first cruise last Oct. with another cruise line (RCCL). We also had never been to Nassau and I was excited to see a new place. I loved The Atlantis excurison we took, didn't really care for the city of Nassau, and absolutely HATED the Straw Market. BUT if I were you, I would get off the ship and give Nassau a look. Just because other folks here on the board don't like Nassau doesn't mean you won't. I think you need to form your own opinion. I am glad we had the opportunity to see a new place. You may never have the opportunity to get there again, and you may always wonder what if we had gotten off the ship.

If you find that Nassau is not your cup of tea, simply go back to the ship. You are able to come and go as you please. Don't let everyone else make your decision. Give it a try. What do you have to loose?

Jillpie
05-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks again everyone. To Princess49, I hope you know how much your review is selling us and have sold us on reserving Palo on Nassau day, this sounds fantastic!!
EmmasGrammy, you got it, we'll get off the ship to take a looksie. Then we'll probably turn right around and get back on, maybe not. I will give it a shot, thank you.
EmpireDay, do you know that I am 44 yrs old and have never had a massage??? Do you believe that. I would love to try that massage and facial (never had that either). I really should pamper myself a little, ha? I don't know, I've been a Mom for 16 years now, never really done anything for myself like that before. It would probably feel weird, I don't know.

copper0426
05-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Jillpie, I was 31 when I got my first massage. It was our first cruise on the Wonder and it was our anniversary. My husband booked the couples massage for us. I am now hooked. I have had two more since. One my husband and my son gave me for mothers day, and then another one this year for our anniversary on the Wonder again my husband booked the Romance Package and he got the couples massage. He had had several before my first, so he knew what I was missing. He got me hooked, mind you, I won't do it for myself the only way I'll get another one is if it is a gift.

Another first was cappuccino never had one of those until I was 30, now that, I am hooked on, however none of them ever taste as good as the first in Morroco.

Don't know what took me so long, we have been going to Disney for 14 years, three to four times a year. Just goes to show, you find or learn about something every day.

Have a wonderful time.

Sorry this was so long.

Diane

CoMickey
05-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Jillpie
EmpireDay, do you know that I am 44 yrs old and have never had a massage??? Do you believe that. I would love to try that massage and facial (never had that either). I really should pamper myself a little, ha? I don't know, I've been a Mom for 16 years now, never really done anything for myself like that before. It would probably feel weird, I don't know.

You are not alone in never having had a massage. I am 42 and I will have my first massage on our upcoming cruise. I have booked the REAS package and we are booked for the Spa Taster which includes a partial massage and a facial. I have had facials before and they are wonderful but no massage and my sister even owns a spa! How sad, huh? I just have never taken the time to get a massage even though they are readily available to me. I'll let you know how it goes if you would like.

Vicki

gottaluvdis
05-24-2004, 12:54 PM
We also had dinner at Palo on Nassau night - mostly because it worked out best with our dining rotation. We debarked in Nassau because DH and DD had never been. We took the Atlantis tour (on our own, not through DCL). It was fun and interesting, but we wouldn't do it again. Next time, we'll probably go to Cable Beach or just stay on the ship. DH and I both agree that Nassau isn't really our thing. He even went back out alone to shop after we returned to the ship - he found a few alcohol bargains but that was about it. We wished we would have taken advantage of the adult only pool and the adult only entertainment in the clubs. Our DD (7) was perfectly happy in the kids clubs, but DH had a head cold and was pretty exhausted each night. He even missed Disney Dreams the last evening. Don't miss the kids show with the clubs on the last night. I get a massage once a month here at home (a good friend is a massage therapist), and another friend owns a salon/day spa, so I didn't feel I missed out on the spa on the ship. With only a 3-day cruise, I wanted to spend time with family instead. I would consider the spa if I didn't indulge at home so often, and if I were on a longer cruise.

Jillpie
05-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Diane, I would LOVE your feedback about the Spa Taster. I was reading about it in the Passporter and it sounds just what I would like. I have no idea what they do with a facial, is that like a massage to the face? lol.
Gottaluvdis, thanks for your feedback. I wonder with all the "not so great" reviews of Nassau, why does Disney keep going there? There must be tons of people outside the Dis that give them feedback about it? So strange.

CoMickey
05-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Diane, I would LOVE your feedback about the Spa Taster. I was reading about it in the Passporter and it sounds just what I would like. I have no idea what they do with a facial, is that like a massage to the face? lol.
Gottaluvdis, thanks for your feedback. I wonder with all the "not so great" reviews of Nassau, why does Disney keep going there? There must be tons of people outside the Dis that give them feedback about it? So strange.

Jillpie~ I am not sure if you meant that you would like me to give you feedback on the Spa Taster or Diane...but I will be happy to if you'd like. We will be sailing soon....but not soon enough! As far as a facial...yes, I guess you could describe it as a 'massage' for you face! LOL! I am not sure what the one on the ship will entail but the ones that I have usually include some kind of exfoliation, steaming, alpha hydroxy, extraction of pores, mask, etc. Very relaxing! I am always afraid I will fall asleep with my mouth open!:o How embarassing!

Vicki

Jillpie
05-24-2004, 10:20 PM
Vicki, absolutely I would LOVE your feedback! :D I really never thought twice about ever getting a massage, but what the heck else could I do on the sea day anyway but spoil myself for a change, am I right or am I right??:p Hey, thanks alot.

sklimuck
05-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Lots of people saying they dislike the Straw Market in Nassau- Is it anything like the markets in the Mexican border towns or Rocky Point? Because I LOVE them!!! It's always a big game bartering for goods- I have lots of fun- Might as well get another t-shirt or hat. Can't ever get too many.

CoMickey
05-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Vicki, absolutely I would LOVE your feedback! :D I really never thought twice about ever getting a massage, but what the heck else could I do on the sea day anyway but spoil myself for a change, am I right or am I right??:p Hey, thanks alot.

Of course you are right! Spoiling yourself is a pre-requisite! Two weeks from today we'll be 'home'! Can't wait!

Vicki

copper0426
05-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Jillpie, the facial was ok, I did feel myself dosing but jerked myself and felt a little embarrassed, this is while she was doing the facial. I always say I don't understand I anyone would want to sleep during a massage, they basically are missing what they pay for. However, I didn't enjoy the facial as much as I did the massage. I would say she put about four things on my face and rubbed them in and then put kleenex on my face to remove the wetness. She also put stuff on my lips at the very end, which I didn't care for, because my lips are very sensitive.

Yes if it comes with my package next time, I would do it, but I wouldn't pay for it by itself. The massage feels so much better.

I guess I'll need to wait for the 14 day cruise to see if my husband plans it again. Although from what he's read, the prices have gone up for those cruises.

Don't know if I have helped you any.

Diane

gottaluvdis
05-25-2004, 10:20 AM

Jillpie, my husband and I asked ourselves that same question. Why would DCL dock and stay so long in Nassau if so many people don't think it's such a great port. The only thing we could think of was that, since the ship is registered in the Bahamas, maybe it is under some kind of "contract" to spend 1 day of each cruise in Nassau. I'm hoping they change things up soon though. The next time we cruise, we'll most likely consider Nassau a "day at sea".