PDA

View Full Version : What if you dont have a credit card.

florida sun
05-10-2004, 06:55 PM
I know this may sound a silly question but do you have to register some form of credit or debit card to have onboard charging facilitys or can you still charge to a certain amount and pay in cash or travellers check at the end. Will my DD (14) have charging rights as well. Please can anybody give me feedback on this.
:confused: :D

Princess49
05-10-2004, 07:00 PM
I THINK that you can pre-pay in cash. I know my BF's cousins did this in WDW last year- they didn't attach to a credit card, they left cash when they checked in. I'm not sure how it works on DCL though. I know in WDW you don't HAVE to pay on your CC- my bf & I leave his visa but we usually pay the whole thing in cash- we just pay before we hit the spending limit(that's when they charge your card this-- way we don't come home to a couple thousand dollars on the card) Well, this is really more about WDW but maybe the ships are the same? Good luck!

goingbacksoon
05-10-2004, 07:25 PM
If you take a look, others have posted on this topic...

From what I have read, some have started out putting a certain amount down in cash or traveller's check, and continue to pay down the account at guest services every few days. Some have said that the limit is about $275-300.... I tend to agree. When we were on the Wonder in December, they charged at $277. The math for us in a cat. 11 says that when we charged 25% of our total fare on the KTTW cards, they charged the Visa.

goingbacksoon

SueEllen
05-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Disney will let you have a "cash" account. When your balance hits a certain amount they will suspend your charging priviledges until you come to the guest services desk and make a payment. They will send you a notice to your room to let you know that you are at this limit.

You do not have to pre-pay anything at all on the account, although you can.

We did this back in October as I wanted to pay cash (check) instead of using a credit card for that cruise. It was not a problem at all. You have to wait while the check goes through their approval system but it didn't take very long. I suggest for your last day that you have a card (maybe a debit card) on the account for any charges that last night to prevent having to stand in that long line the last morning.

Sue Ellen

KYCruiseCrazy
05-10-2004, 08:54 PM
That certain amount mentioned in the previous post is $200. When your account reaches it you will be notified that you need to go to guest services and pay on your bill. You can also leave a pre payment at the desk. They are very friendly and hospitable when it comes to your onboard account. We didnt put up a credit card last year and they never had a problem with taking a personal check on the ship.

clh2
05-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Florida Sun...Your DD will have charging privileges - unless you specifically go to guest services to have the charging privileges removed. Unfortunately with DCL...it is all or none on the charging privileges.

Jillpie
05-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by SueEllen
Disney will let you have a "cash" account. When your balance hits a certain amount they will suspend your charging priviledges until you come to the guest services desk and make a payment. They will send you a notice to your room to let you know that you are at this limit.

You do not have to pre-pay anything at all on the account, although you can.

We did this back in October as I wanted to pay cash (check) instead of using a credit card for that cruise. It was not a problem at all. You have to wait while the check goes through their approval system but it didn't take very long. I suggest for your last day that you have a card (maybe a debit card) on the account for any charges that last night to prevent having to stand in that long line the last morning.

Sue Ellen

This is great news. I was under the impression you had to leave some cash on the first day in an account. We are first time cruisers, so this is nice as we don't like using a credit card. We're bringing trav. checks. and would like to limit ourselves to 200.00 a day in spending money. So what would you do...give them the cash up front that first day (the first 200.00) and let them notify you when you've spent that much to add to the account, or not give them anything on that first day and wait till they call you that you have spent that much and go pay it? I know its a wash either way, but I'm just curious with other experienced cruisers.

SueEllen
05-10-2004, 11:23 PM
You can do it either way jillpie. I would keep a check on our account every day or so to see how much we had spent.
You can either pay per day, or wait until they contact you, or just go down and check.

They really are very accommodating.

Sue Ellen

Jillpie
05-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks SueEllen, you were most helpful with this information!

florida sun
05-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Many thanks to all who posted replies for me on this subject they have all been very helpful.

thanks

:wave: