PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Delta

pigby
05-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Whenever I've flown to the US, so far always used an airline based over here in the UK. This time I've booked Delta - OK it's not a direct flight to Orlando but our family have saved about $1000 flying via Atlanta.

What I've heard so far from people I know who have travelled with them is that they are very good. Just wondered how they compare to other US airlines and any others that you've used - as far as being on time, comfort, service etc. - oh and the food of course and if they do kids meals.

Is Atlanta airport easy to find your way around?

Perhaps you would also know how far ahead you can prebook seats?

zulaya
05-05-2004, 06:04 PM
I haven't flown internationally, so I can't speak about the food. You might be able to find something on Delta's website.

We flew Delta twice last year because we got some great deals. We connected in ATL and didn't find it as daunting as other people seem to think. We did have to go from one end of the terminals to the other, but we made it in plenty of time to make our connection, despite me freaking that the 4 of us ( 2 kids) wouldn't make it. The nice thing about ATL is that they have this underground train that connects you to all their terminals. It's like 1 minute between terminals, if that. The trains come every 2 minutes 30 seconds so you are never waiting long.

I personally loved their planes and their service. Flying out of MSP, we generally fly NWA because they are the only non-stop with a wide variety of times to MCO. And generally, their prices are competitive enough. Last year, we went on Delta twice to WDW for the same price as one ticket was on NWA. And that has never happened, before or since.

I think you can book your seats as soon as you book your flight. I know I selected my seats as I was purchasing my tickets.

Best of luck!

CarolA
05-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Rule 1 of a question like this is..... someone will always post that the airline in question is horrid. So just in case that happens, remember that no airline in perfect and all of them can have a bad day.

Service on Delta's international is fine. However, alchol is not free so you might want to keep that in mind if you would like a drink with dinner.

They do kids meals, you need to call them and pre-order the kids meal however. (some people order special meals for themselves, they claim they are better)

You should be able to book your seats when you book your flight. Call again!

Atlanta is an easy airport to navigate. You will come into terminal E which is at the far end. There are lots of screens showing you where the flights depart from and you go down to the train and just ride to your terminal.

Beast fan
05-07-2004, 05:33 AM
As long as you have enough time during plane changes, ATL is no problem. I've flown through there 3 times in the past year with hardly any problems.

Dave

Disneyolic
05-07-2004, 01:03 PM
We flew Delta last November and went through the ATL hub. We had no problems with connecting flights and both connections were not very close to each other. We all thought the seats seemed to be roomier in leg room than USAir and NorthWest. From ATL to MCO we enjoyed the in flight navigator showing us where we were cruising, altitude, speed, etc. On our way back we had a repeat episode of Frasier.

~DawnMaree

smcbaker
05-07-2004, 03:34 PM
I am an experienced traveler and have flown just about every US airline there is, both domestically and internationally. Delta is my airline of choice. Airline food is still airline food although on the international legs, the quality tends to be a little better. You should not have a problem in Atlanta. Although it is quite large, it is very logically laid out. Take a look at the terminal map in the inflight magazine and watch the TV screens in the airplane before you land for connecting gate information. You take the underground trains to go between terminals...I believe the ride is less than 3 mins from one end to the other and they run constantly. Busy? Yes. Unmanageable? No. Do not worry. As a previous poster said, yes, you can order children's meals but must do so in advance. You will be just fine...enjoy your trip!

StitchGirl
05-07-2004, 05:24 PM
I actually prefer to fly Delta-- I've never had any trouble, and the few times I've had delays/ cancellations, they worked pretty hard to get everyone to their destination in the most effective way possible. I find that the employees are pretty nice-- nicer then at Continental.

As for the food, I think that the food on non-American airlines is better then the food on Delta, but it's not bad, as long as you expect airline food :-)

NotUrsula
05-07-2004, 05:30 PM
A couple of things that are different than the UK airlines:
1) You've already heard about the charge for alcohol. BTW, You cannot bring your own to drink on board, even if you buy it in duty-free; the seals have to stay sealed. No food will be served on the ATL>MCO flight; only on the intl. leg. There are free soft drinks, juices, coffee on all flights.
2) They do kids meals, and what they serve will be similar to what UK carriers do. They do not do kids "travel packs" however; bring your own supply of crayons, paper, etc. They do have seatback video on over-the-water flights.
3) Full-harness carseats are permitted to be used on board for young children who weigh less than 40 lbs. A seat used on the aircraft does not count against the bag allowance. The seat must have proof of govt. aircraft-use approval, however, so check w/ Delta to see what you would need to present to prove this. (US carseats have an aircraft-approval sticker on; yours probably will not, so you might need to write to the mfr. for documentation in order to be allowed to use it onboard.)
4) Here's the good news: your baggage allowance is going to be MUCH bigger than what you are used to. They will still weigh your checked bags, but not your cabin baggage. There is a size limit, but you could almost bring a small bag of bricks into the cabin if you were so inclined! Also, the seat pitch will probably be more generous than what you've seen before, at least by a little bit.

Disneyolic
05-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Here's the good news: your baggage allowance is going to be MUCH bigger than what you are used to. They will still weigh your checked bags, but not your cabin baggage. There is a size limit, but you could almost bring a small bag of bricks into the cabin if you were so inclined! Delta does have a weight limit on carry ons also. They have never weighed ours but it is stated specifically on their website.

~DawnMaree

NotUrsula
05-07-2004, 07:10 PM
They do have a carryon weight limit, true, but in practice, they don't weigh those bags, though I suppose that if you plonked a handbag down on the counter and the counter creaked, they might insist! Still, what I said was that Delta won't weigh carryons, and they won't, unless, as I said, you do something obvious to make them wonder just what you have in there.

Even if the weight limit were enforced, it's still a HUGE difference from what the UK carriers allow in coach. British Airways' and Virgin Atlantic's cabin baggage limit is one item in coach, and the weight limit on that one item is -- wait for it -- 13 lbs. They always seem to check, too--I've been busted for being 6 oz. over limit. Delta's limits are positively munificent compared to the UK carriers', trust me.