PDA

View Full Version : My Dollar experience

poohbear2
05-04-2004, 11:13 PM
We arrived at the airport around 1030pm to pick up our car. There were few people at most car rentals( ALAMO/NATIONAL was VERY busy btw). I was served rather quickly because I was a quick service member. However, while I was waiting for my turn I overheard the agent talking with another customer. It sounded an awful lot like the guy was getting ripped off. When It was my turn, the agent tried to push the EXTRAS and even tried to try to convince me by telling me that I was in a different state and maybe I should get the extra insurance because of this. I just told him give me what I ordered NO EXTRAS PLEASE. I then showed him the upgrade coupon that was mailed to me which he said , they had very few cars and he was not able to upgrade me then. I was a little bit miffed about that, but whatever. Our car had a cigarette hole in the drivers seat, and IMHO dirty. I was a little disappointed since the last time we rented from DOLLAR we got exceptional service and an excellent vehicle. I suppose part of the problem was our late arrival and perhaps it was a busy day.

docsnort
05-05-2004, 01:11 PM
We had a similar experience last October. We also arrived around 10:30 on a Friday night and as a Fastlane member got waited on quickly. The gal that waited on us pulled up the paper work for our mini-van and suddenly started talking about additional insurance coverage. I politely declined the additional coverage and mentioned that as a Fastlane member I thought my insurance preferences were on file. She didn't answer me and didn't say any more about it. We'll be using them again in October so I guess we'll see if it happens again.

dizneycc
05-05-2004, 03:35 PM
I then showed him the upgrade coupon that was mailed to me which he said , they had very few cars and he was not able to upgrade me then. I was a little bit miffed about that

We have used Dollar for the last several years with no problem, except having to wait for 60 - 90 minutes to get waited on. I have joined FastLane for our next trip to help avoid this. I also got the upgrade coupons. Just today, I decided to reserve the upgrade car instead of hoping to get one at checkin. It is only .50 more a day!!!! For that price, I decided not to risk it.

It is so strange that after deciding to do this, I read your post. Makes me very happy with my decision.

I politely declined the additional coverage and mentioned that as a Fastlane member I thought my insurance preferences were on file. She didn't answer me and didn't say any more about it.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will print out my FastLane account information that shows my insurance preferences and have it with me, just in case!

CRSNDSNY
05-06-2004, 08:38 AM
What airport did this happen at poohbear2?

poohbear2
05-06-2004, 07:33 PM
This was at MCO.

pooh41
05-21-2004, 05:04 PM
I plan to use dollar for my rental at MCO. Should I get my luggage first or get my car first?

poohbear2
05-24-2004, 09:45 PM
I would get your luggage first. You get the luggage on the second floor and go down to the ground floor for the car. It would be a pain in the neck IMHO to go down and back up and down again.

CarolMN
05-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by poohbear2
I would get your luggage first. You get the luggage on the second floor and go down to the ground floor for the car. It would be a pain in the neck IMHO to go down and back up and down again.

I agree. However, if you have a traveling companion(s) and he/she/they can handle all of the luggage without you, you might split up. You go get in line to get the car and the other(s) wait for the luggage. You can all meet up at the rental counter - hopefully you'll be ready to go when they arrive. My DH & I occasionally do this.

Best wishes -

OKW Lover
05-25-2004, 01:44 PM
I'm not surprised at the way Dollar treated you. I've had similar experiences. Despite being a member of their frequent renter club, they insist on trying to sell me their extra insurance. Its on my record that I decline that coverage.

They also push the gas option hard. To the point where one agent (in TPA) told me I had to fill up within 2 miles of the airport or they would charge me for filing the tank. Insisted that I initial the form about declining the gas option.

On two occasions I've also had them try to get me to up-grade to a larger car. but I declined. Turns out they didn't have the size I reserved so I got the larger car at the same price.

Be very cautious at the rental counter.

Jeff

DemoBri1
05-25-2004, 01:54 PM
I can't speak from very much experience with Dollar, but the one time that we rented with them last December was a pleasant experience. We had to wait no longer than a couple of minutes in line, we were not asked about the extra insurance, and we were off to our van in about 5-10 minutes. When we got out to the garage was the only negative that I had. My DW noticed a sign that said FastLane Members vehicles, or something like that, yet we were sent down a different row. Not really a big deal, since we ended up with a nice, clean, Dodge Grand Caravan with less than 15K miles on it.

To answer a question posted by an EP, I would definitely pick up your luggage first.

Brian

hockey mom
05-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Hubby was told by a Dollar rep that the $89.95 insurance was a must. My Dh politely told him we did not require any addtional insurace and he was told that this is now mandatory. Is this the case? DH was furious when he got to the resort because as he was reading over his papers he noticed an "optional" printed by the type of insurance he was told was mandatory.

CarolMN
05-26-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by hockey mom
Hubby was told by a Dollar rep that the $89.95 insurance was a must. My Dh politely told him we did not require any addtional insurace and he was told that this is now mandatory. Is this the case? DH was furious when he got to the resort because as he was reading over his papers he noticed an "optional" printed by the type of insurance he was told was mandatory.

It's absolutely NOT mandatory and totally unnecessary if your personal auto policy covers you when renting/driving another vehcile. Many do (as do many major credit cards). (However, If you are not licensed to drive in the US, it may be mandatory or at least a good idea. Pays to check).

If this ever happens again, suggest to your DH that he ask for a Supervisor. For some reason, my DH is always reluctant to do that so I usually take care of getting the car. :teeth:

Another tactic that I once used successfully was to take out a notebook and ask the agent to spell his full last name. After that, he couldn't get rid of me fast enough. Now I just say no (politely) as many times as it takes.

Sorry that happened to your DH. Hope he called or wrote to complain.

Best wishes -

GAIL HAYDEN
05-26-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by OKW Lover
I'm not surprised at the way Dollar treated you. I've had similar experiences. Despite being a member of their frequent renter club, they insist on trying to sell me their extra insurance. Its on my record that I decline that coverage.

They also push the gas option hard. To the point where one agent (in TPA) told me I had to fill up within 2 miles of the airport or they would charge me for filing the tank. Insisted that I initial the form about declining the gas option.

On two occasions I've also had them try to get me to up-grade to a larger car. but I declined. Turns out they didn't have the size I reserved so I got the larger car at the same price.

Be very cautious at the rental counter.

Jeff

The issues you just mentioned are not unique to Dollar, it happens at most of the other rental agencies.

They insist you intial anything you decline to cover themselves in case you insist later that you opted for it. Very standard, and smart, procedure.