PDA

View Full Version : What happened on I-4 Saturday morning?

crzy4dsny
05-04-2004, 08:26 PM
I left Disney around 3:15 am Saturday morning. I- 4 was closed in both directions. There was an awful lot of police and fire units there. Everyone had to turn around in the median and go back south.

Just curious if any one knew what happened?

poohbear2
05-04-2004, 10:59 PM
We were wondering the same thing. We went to EPCOT on Sunday morning around 830am and there were cop cars then as well as an ambulance. The traffic was re-routed ( we were coming from ANimal Kingdom Lodge's directions) and we had to go the long way to Epcot.

BrittnTylersMom
05-05-2004, 12:48 AM
My guess is that it was a really bad car accident.
From what I've known/seen in the past, the road being shut down usually means that there were fatalities that shouldn't be seen by the passing public. And/Or they don't want other vehicles driving through a potential crime scene (road rage)..Or even just while an accident re-creation is going on.

NotUrsula
05-05-2004, 10:16 AM
I-4 was a mess for much of last weekend. The situation early on Saturday morning was a fatal accident near the Lake Mary interchange. Two guys crossed the median and ran head-on into a diesel tanker.

Sunday morning it was an overturned tractor-trailer truck. We were in Daytona on Sunday and saw it on the news as we were packing up to head out. I'm not sure exactly what it was carrying, but it took hours to clean it up. It flipped around 5 am, and as of 12:30 it hadn't been moved at all. We went down to MCO around 3 pm, and we were OK as far as Sanford, where we switched over to the Greenway (not to avoid the accident, we just prefer 417 to I-4.)

Finally, though I don't think it affected Orlando traffic, there was a really bizarre situation early Sunday morning near Deland, where some psycho carjacked a man from Lake Helen, dumped his body on I-4, then went to the victim's home and kidnapped the man's wife, who he took up to N. Carolina. At some point, the kidnapper shot two other people and also kidnapped his estranged wife, before shooting himself. http://www.news-journalonline.com/pdf/fl_dbnj0504.pdf

OntFamily
05-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Traffic coming from Orlando was backed up on Sun AM due to the murder -- the FHP had one lane closed (at least they did at about 10:00 am when I drove through).

Tina
05-05-2004, 06:05 PM
We left Disney around noon on Saturday and only went about 10 miles in nearly 2 hours. By the time we got to the accident scene, we saw that 2 lanes were blocked with emergency vehicles and a couple of cars were really smashed up. It looked like a collision/rollover. It really put us behind schedule for our drive home. We were ready for a break before we even got out of Orlando.