PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make the drive on I-10 from Texas recently?

Twirly41
05-04-2004, 07:37 AM
Just got our Triptik from AAA. Looks like there is a lot of construction on I-10 in Louisiana and Mississippi. Has anyone made the drive through there recently? How bad was it?

prncess674
05-04-2004, 12:42 PM
There has been construction between Baton Rouge and Houston for as long as I can remember. Try timing your trip so you don't hit Baton Rouge between 4 and 6 and you should be fine. Otherwise estimate a good hour just fight the traffic in BTR.

KatieBelle
05-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Bump. I want to know too!:sunny:

cajunmommy
05-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Yep - the orange barrels are out in Baton Rouge along I-10. You'll avoid the majority of it, however, if you take the I-12 split in Baton Rouge and rejoin I-10 where it reconnects. This will also take you away from the congestion in New Orleans.

As the previous poster stated, try to avoid Baton Rouge from about 3:30-6pm. Rush hour will slow you down tremendously.

We didn't hit any delays in Mississippi this past Feb. Most of that construction seemed to be taking place off to the sides. Not sure if it's changed within the last couple of months.

KatieBelle
05-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Thanks cajunmommy! Anyone else?

Disney Doc
05-06-2004, 08:25 AM
Slightly off-topic, but related... we are taking an extended car-trip this summer. This New Orleans-to-WDW leg is included. How long will this take, and what's the optimal route? Can we easily go the whole distance in a day? Thank you.

jazznms
05-06-2004, 08:28 AM
some construction on the boarder of la/ms pearl river bridge goes down to one lane some days
backs up for hours

prncess674
05-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Disney Doc
Slightly off-topic, but related... we are taking an extended car-trip this summer. This New Orleans-to-WDW leg is included. How long will this take, and what's the optimal route? Can we easily go the whole distance in a day? Thank you.

I live in the NOLA area and have made this drive. It will take at the low end 10 hours (fast pace, little traffic, quick pottie stops) up to 12 hours.

Nebsky
05-06-2004, 09:24 AM
I drove from Dallas back in March...

We didnt go through Baton Rouge area. We took I20 to Jackson MS then US49 to Hattiesburg MS and jumped on US98 to Mobile, AL. From there we jumped on I10 to I75 and then Floridas Turnpike to I4 then to WDW.
I think from I10 at Mobile to WDW it is like 9 hours or so. All I know is that we left Dallas at 4am and were in Lake City FL where I10 and I75 cross in 14 hours. We didnt have any problems with traffic, construction. I think we only saw 2 police cars the whole way.

If you are driving that long, make sure you have stuff for the kids to do. We have a DVD player and that made the trip go great. I was even in the back seat watching movies. It was fun.

Have a great trip. Road trips are a blast...

Bootxn
05-09-2004, 05:29 PM
bump :)

prncess674
05-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Well I just made the drive there and back going New Orleans to Houston. The drive was very pleasant. While there was construction it was always a minimum of 2 lanes.

If you are looking for a great place to make a pit stop, stop at Exit 64 (Jennings). On the right coming from Houston is nice big gas station. I think it is called "Pit Stop". They have a large CLEAN restroom. Jennings has all the major fast food places plus most brands of gas if you have a preference. There is also a large Wal-Mart that can be seen from the I-10 if you need to make a Wally World stop for a forgotten item.