PDA

View Full Version : Getting from Disney to Hotel at night

meaneausindisney
05-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this board and new to going to Disney. My husband and I are excited beyond words. Last time I went was 1982 (Epcot wasn't even finished being built yet!) and my hubby's never been.

In order to save some money we are staying at Travelodge Maingate East (yes I've read some crappy reviews) - and altho they do have shuttle from hotel to Disney, the last one picks up at 8:45pm?!?! Is there any other form of transportation past 9pm let's say that can take you from the Downtown Disney area and get us back to Route 4 (i think that's it) where our hotel is. We are Manhattanites and we are used to being able to stay out a bit with out these concerns. We don't want to end our night at 8:45!?!

Any public transport, cabs, etc!?!

Thanks for any help you can provide. I think I'm going to be on these boards alot - we leave June 3!!!!

travelin' tigger
05-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Although I'm staying offsite for the first time this week and not familiar with shuttles, I believe your only option (other than a rental car) is a taxi!!

Anyone else know any other options??? :teeth:

pumpkinboy
05-03-2004, 04:03 PM
I expect that Taxis will be your best bet, outside of getting a rental car. But getting back and forth from your "cheap" motel is sounding pricey to me.

Wouldn't you be better off staying at one of the Disney "Economy" hotels, like any of the All Stars or Pop Century? Then at least you'd have complimentary and easy transportation back and forth to the parks no matter what time you need to go.

Good luck and have a great time!

meaneausindisney
05-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Hi all - thanks for the replies. Yes I know it prob would be better and most ideal to stay at one of the less expensive Disney properties but it's a considerable price difference. We kept putting the trip off because we wanted to stay in Disney but frankly, just couldn't afford it. We got a great package through Expedia.com for airfare and hotel. We won't be staying late every night so I imagine we'll just cab it 2 of our four nights and that we can swing.

Couple other questions.

Will we need to call for a cab from the main Disney gate (I guess from what I've read on other boards it's the main ticket area???) or will there be cabs there?

Also, re: Pleasure Island is that only accessible via Disney transport or is it accessable from outside the park, meaning can you take a cab to Pleasure Island or do you have to be on Disney prop and hop the bus/shuttle to get there?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm totally clueless, but so excited.

Next trip I plan we will stay on Disney property so we can avoid all this transportation drama!!!

30 days and counting!

Lewisc
05-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Staying offsite without a rental car is a real PITA. You could easily be paying $30 (or more) /day for cabs.

You don't need a car in NYC or onsite Disney BUT you really need a car if you're going to stay offsite.

I STRONGLY suggest you either rent a car or stay onsite.

meaneausindisney
05-04-2004, 11:47 AM
thanks but we don't want the hassle of a driving. also we can't stay onsite, as i posted earlier, financially it's just not an option this go round, but thanks for the advice.

we have the free shuttle in the mornings to get us everywhere we need to go, it's only a couple nights we are trying to plot out transport. plus according to the map Travelodge is pretty darn close.

Can anyone address the questions about whether cabs are onsite at MK ticket gate area (or do we need to call)?

And if Pleasure Island is only accessible from within the park?

Many thanks all!

prncess674
05-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Cabs will be available outside the gates at the parks and also outside Pleasure Island. How do you plan on getting from the airport to your hotel? A cab is easily $50 one way which is the same as a town car service. You want to look into just renting the smallest car available since it is just 2 people. Many of the budget rental cars can be had for very little $$. Add up how much you are going to spend on transportation back and forth to the airport plus the few cabs you may take and you may soon find out that renting a econo car may come out cheaper. Also staying offsite with an econo rental opens up a wealth of cheap dining options that you could drive to. I am assuming the travel lodge doesn't have room service or restaurant and eating at WDW is very $$$. Factor in meal savings into your rental car and you could definitly save money.

pumpkinboy
05-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Looks like the morning shuttle on the way to the parks then a cab on the way back is the way to go, then. I would suggest you program the number of a good cab company (perhaps someone can recommend) into your cell phone and call a cab as you are preparing to leave the parks, if you're headed out at a busy time. Or perhaps just grab whatever cab is there.
(and we hail a cab like this ::wave2: )

I am glad you got a good deal, and good luck working on next time on-site.

Have a great time!

meaneausindisney
05-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Thank you so much for answering my cab questions, particularly re: PI! That's great to know!

Just so you know I am doing my homework :) ....

The transportation from airport will be the Mead Shuttle/cab and it's approx $25RT per person so it's $50 total for Airport transport (went on their site), so I didn't think it was too bad.

Apparently where we are staying is across street from Old Towne (?) and from what I've read on the boards there are a bunch of dining options, etc. It's walking distance. Our hotel/motel does have an inhouse restaurant & room service so I thought that was pretty cool.

Thank you SO much for all your info, it's so helpful to know so many people on these boards want us to have the best time possible.

meanueaus in disney

prncess674
05-04-2004, 12:51 PM
wow a travelodge with room service and a restaurant! I would also check on how often the Travelodge shuttle runs. Do they just run one van every 1/2 hour. What if the van is full, does that mean you need to wait another 1/2. I would hate to see you waste your valuable vacation time on shuttle service that isn't convenient. Does your hotel to WDW shuttle makes stops at other offsite hotels before heading to WDW. I would call and get lots of details on the hotel shuttle just so you are fully informed.

meaneausindisney
05-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Excellent thinking. I did check and it runs every 1/2 hour. I do know that it a big bus so it holds about maybe 50+ people but that was a concern as to whether if it's full do we have to wait for the next one.

I'm going to call them ask a bunch of questions...see what they say. When I called they were pretty nice so hopefully they won't mind my listful of questions!

I mentioned renting a car but the hubby is deadset against it.

Curious - How low a rate can you get on the less expensive Disney resorts - I saw rates of $99 per night on Expedia?

Just to help everyone understand my mindset...for RT airfare from NYC plus 4 night hotel for 2 people we are only paying $491.00.

Hence our willingness to pay for a $30 cab here and there....

RC Fan
05-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Hi meaneausindisney!

We also booked through Expedia but are staying at the Holiday Inn Maingate East, which sounds very close to where you are staying. The shuttle schedule for our hotel has more return times than yours. There are I think only a few shuttles to Disney in the morning, but there are several in the evening.

When the free shuttle does not fit our schedule, we are going to use Mears. I believe from the area of your hotel a round trip to Disney is about $12 per person.

I have stayed onsite as well but I found it to be quite pricey and didn't find the perks added up.

Can't wait to go!!!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

meaneausindisney
05-04-2004, 01:49 PM
THANK YOU so much for that information!!!

That's not bad at all for a cab. We can swing that no doubt. Very reasonable.

That really eases my mind quite a bit. Ideally, I would love to stay in Disney but it's just not feasible price wise, not when you can get hotel 3 miles away and airfare for 2 people under $500.

I'm so excited about going I can barely contain myself. My hubby too. 30 days away! Enjoy your trip too! and thanks again! ;)

RC Fan
05-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Hello again!

I just wanted to clarify that in my post Mears is a shuttle, not a taxi, as I didn't make that too clear. I know Mears has taxis as well, but the $12 dollars per person round trip is for a shuttle.

I as extremely happy with the price we got from Expedia too!

I hope you have an excellent trip!

:wave: :wave2:

meaneausindisney
05-04-2004, 02:10 PM
That's even better. I didn't realize Mears was an option for other Disney shuttle service. Do you know if you how far in advance you have to request. I mean, can we call let's say that morning and say we will want to take the shuttle in the evening back to our hotel.

I went on the mears site but it wasn't to clear about how the Disney Shuttle works. We prob wont' need RT - just one way a couple nights.

Sorry for all the questions! But it's appreciated!

pumpkinboy
05-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Program the telephone # into your cellphone:
1-407-423-5566

It's in mine, as we have a wheelchair bound child, and Mears is the only out of park transportation company that can be guaranteed wheelchair accessible. While we get personalized service, you normal mortals have the joys of a Mears bus. But for cost and efficiency, Mears is gonna be hard to beat.

RC Fan
05-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Don't worry about the questions: I have have asked plenty!

I believe it can be arranged with a few hours notice. I am hoping so as we also need to arrange a shuttle to go to Disney for the day we arrive, and unfortunately it can't be done in advance. It has to be arranged at the Mears counter in the airport.

I wish you could make reservations for transfers either over the Internet or by phone, but they do not do either.

seashoreCM
05-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Before you finalize your offsite hotel choice and reservation, inquire about whether you can sign up for or reserve a specific shuttle time. I've never stayed at these hotels / relied on their shuttle sevices so I don't know which hotels offer what. But I have found that some hotels in other cities have taken signups for shuttle to the airport.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Lewisc
05-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by meaneausindisney

Just to help everyone understand my mindset...for RT airfare from NYC plus 4 night hotel for 2 people we are only paying $491.00.

Hence our willingness to pay for a $30 cab here and there....

You can get R/T airfaire from NYC for under $200, sometimes for under $150. Budget hotels can be had for $30-$50 /night. Your deal is decent but may not be as good as you think. Sounds like your can't change your package.

meaneausindisney
05-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks to all that responded to my questions. Looks like everything is good to go. I confirmed our flights, I also confirmed how the shuttle works from hotel. Thanks so much for the Mears DW shuttle info, that will prob be how we make our way back a couple nights past the hotel shuttle's hours. And I'm sure we will need a cab from Pleasure Island one of those nights (since it's two married adults, we are gonna have some fun - we don't need a chaperone!) I'm so less stressed now thanks to all of you.

28 DAYS TO GO!!!!

meaneaus in disney