PDA

View Full Version : flying with young children

jwmccullough
05-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Can anyone out there tell me if there are any federal or state requirements regarding child seats on airplanes for children (ages 2, 3, 5)? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Jess

GAIL HAYDEN
05-02-2004, 10:44 PM
They cannot sit in the exit rows and children in car seats cannot sit in the row before and after an exit row (although some airlines seem to allow that). There is some rule about two car seats in a row, but, you would need to go to your specific airline's site for that information.

Goof
05-02-2004, 10:45 PM
try this link, we found it to be most helpful: http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1020.xml and have a safe flight and trip;)

disneyfam
05-03-2004, 07:56 AM
I was researching this before our last trip. I was told to check and see if your car seat was approved for flight. We have the Alpha/Omega car seat and there is a sticker right on the seat saying that the seat has been approved for flight.

I don't know if the airlines would check or not, but it is that you could something to look into.:D

Cynde

Nebsky
05-03-2004, 02:47 PM
If you have one kid and your traveling with significant other, you cannot put the car seat in the middle seat. Car seat has to go up against the window.

jel0511
05-03-2004, 02:53 PM
There are no FAA regulations about who needs to use a car seat. The FAA STRONGLY suggests that children under 40 lbs (regardless of age) be secured in a FAA approved car seat during flight. Basically, if a child has graduated to a belt positioning booster then they are fine without one during flight, since they aren't FAA approved car seats. Also, you need to ensure your car seats are FAA approved. Usually there is a sticker on the side that indicates this, and it's listed in your owners manual. Now, if you do bring a car seat on the plane, there are only certain places on the plane where they can be used. The exit rows and the rows directly preceeding and following them aren't allowed. All car seats need to be located in a window, as they could possibly impeed exit of other passengers (yes even the parent) during an emergency. Since you have such small children, you might have to split up, so have two windows, so you can get two car seats in. The 5 YO is probably fine, and if you want to bring your booster, check it with luggage.