PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette and Picky Eater Guests

forgetyourtroubles!
05-01-2004, 11:52 PM
We are taking the inlaws with us again to WDW. DMIL doesn't eat seafood, chicken, turkey, asian, or indian food or anything adventurous for that matter. Basically, she likes beef and potatoes and southern vegetables and italian. However, we took them last time we went to WDW and arranged all of our dining to her taste. We paid for everything last time and we will be again this time as well. However...this type of eating is not our style and I feel confined on our PS choices. On the one hand, I feel like I should accomodate her and on the other hand, it would be nice to enjoy some group dining that some of the rest of us would hate to miss. There are 9 of us going. I'm seeking advice on several fronts.
1- Restaurants that have both adventurous foods as well as foods that she would like. This would probably be the best.
2- Opinions on whether we should just assume they are guests and accomodate them the whole time.
3- We will be there during Food and Wine. Can we sample foods around the world as a meal? Surely she could find something she likes and the rest of us could try something new? She could always go the American thing and get a burger, right?
4-I could arrange most meals to her taste and make a couple of ressies that we want even though she won't like them. We could meet up again after dinner.
They REALLY WANTED us to take them back to WDW- so surely they wouldn't begrudge us a little chinese food on our vacation.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Cinderellee
05-02-2004, 12:02 AM
This may be harsh, but if you are paying and there are 8 other people that might enjoy something "different", I would go with what best suits the group. I am sure that many places will be able to accomodate her tastes. If she likes beef, that is offered in most restaurants. Being Disney, they can probably "modify" their selections to fit her taste if you ask in advance. Good Luck!

Chuck S
05-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Well, we're fairly adventurous eaters, but we have traveled with some finicky eaters...

...you could always let each member of the party pick a restaurant they want to eat at, and the rest make do with that selection. There is also nothing that says you all have to dine together for every meal, you could always break into two or three groups and meet up after.

While not big on steak and beef myself, I would recommend LeCellier, I think there is something there for everyone to enjoy. If your DMIL would eat Pot Roast, how about lunch at LTT at MK (unless you WANT to do the charater meal at night), they have a fairly comprehensive lunch menu...it is one of our favorites.

At the studios, Brown Derby or Prime Time may be your best bets for varied menus. At Animal Kingdom, she may be out of luck, most of their food is slightly exotic, but tasty. Your DMIL may enjoy the turkey wrap sandwich and corn chowder soup at Tusker House, it is out normal "meal" at AK...I personally don't care for their rotisserie chicken, though I know a lot of people like it.

Bottom line is, your paying for it, you should be able to reach some compromises, and maybe even dine separately on occasion so you can ALL enjoy your trip. Sometimes there can be "too much" family togetherness at WDW. :)

forgetyourtroubles!
05-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. After I posted this, I realized that having to work around all the restrictions for dining was making me get less enjoyment out of giving the gift. They are all really excited about the gift vacation. I think I got a good idea from your comments. I'm going to make our loose itinerary and print it out with menus on really cute paper and wrap it up and give it to each person going. I'll put a note in there that anyone is welcome to opt out of any activity or meal, just let me know. We are staying in a villa at Beach Club so they can eat at "home" or go on their own at any time. I think I will also encourage each couple to have a "date" and give them a few suggestions along with the WDW-DINE ph. #. This will put the fun of giving back in it for me. And I think they will enjoy the anticipation. I already booked the Liberty Tree for the whole group prior to MNSSHP. I know it will be a pleaser for MIL as well as the rest of us.

ncbyrne
05-02-2004, 10:41 AM
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm (http://)
We've been in this situation a few times. For my DH have the fun of the trip is finding new and wonderful dining experiences. Traveling with other family members has always presented this problem since they all want to stay together. If you check over all the menues, I'm sure you will find places that can accomodate all gourmet preferences. (One the last trip with my DGDs we even bit the bullet and ate lunch at McD's once. Trust me, DH will never do that again! Research and planning ahead is your best bet. Personally, we have found that the buffet meals offer the best variety to satisfy everyone.

jl3614
05-02-2004, 03:26 PM
If she does not have a super large appetite and wouldn't be too embarrassed - go wherever you want, and if she can not find anything to her liking, she could order off the kids menu. That menu always has less adventurous choices that may suit her.

vicb
05-02-2004, 04:54 PM
forgetyourtroubles, I think you are on the right track with having couples split up for some meals.

For a slightly adventurus meal how about Marrakesh in Morrocco? Check the menu but I believe they have a grilled steak kebob that might be in her comfort zone but others could branch out.

It's tough that she won't eat chicken. Both my kids will eat grilled chicken breasts which we were able to order almost everywhere in the world showcase for a plain meal for them.

Good luck.

PS. Garden Grill might be a fun lunch for all too.

Took
05-02-2004, 06:46 PM
I have not done this so I can't be certain, but I've heard that most disney restaurants will accomodate almost anyone's tastes if given advance notice. That is, if DMIL will eat steak and potato, then you might ask an adventurous restaurant in advance if they will accomodate that. If they can and will (and I'm betting they will) then she can go with you but just not eat adventurously. It's worth a try--all you have to do is call the rest. at least 24 hours in advance.

TOok

bigbabyblues
05-02-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm a fairly picky eater, but even if it's just DH and I, I know it's not right to force him to eat where I want to all the time. I have always been able to find *something* I can/will eat everywhere we've gone. Sometimes I don't get a lot of choices I like, but I didn't go hungry, and if I did, it was my own fault. Don't let them take your enjoyment out of your trip, make some PS for where you want to eat, and if they want something different, they aren't children, they can go get it.

Just my thought,
Steph

forgetyourtroubles!
05-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. You know, its really to everyone's credit that we all get along well enough that dining is the only issue. :) We kept offering that they could go off on their own last time but they only wanted to stick with us. They say, "whatever you are doing is what we want to do." Accomodating the "American style beef only" is the really hard part. Especially because I am the planner and I RARELY order anything she would like. We did "fine" at Hollywood and Vine Buffet. I think trying to find middle of the road choices for the most part will be fine, but I would like the freedom of having one or two meals without that restriction. Call ahead is a good idea as well.

jordgubben
05-03-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm sorry, she doesn't even eat chicken?

I think I would split up for dinner.

webray
05-03-2004, 04:42 PM
I have to say go with what you want. If she doesn't like the reservation choice..she can always grab something somewhere else.

When you are planning for a large group, you can never please everyone..you have to try and please the majority, but, definately wouldn't plan around the one who is most difficult.